Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 19.01.2009, 01:47
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,337 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Hi RAVers
I have was given a termination notice from my job and have a couple of months left of their paid holiday. I am wondering when I should register at the RAV office, I know some people said they are nice and helpful, but is it really to my advantage to register earlier than I need to? I understand they won't put me on any courses until I am recieveing benefits. I read also somewhere the latest date to register was the first day after you are no longer employed so if my job pays me until end Feb, the last day I can go to the RAV office is March 3rd since March 1 is a Sunday? If others have experience of he ZH RAV office in LagerStrasse are they helpful or looking to find an excuse not to pay you your god given right to state benefits
I read in the papers they are trying to stop arbietslos going to citizens of east european countries, does anyone have an idea if/when this is this going to happen?
One more question did anyone mange to spend 3 months abroad "searching for work" while being paid by the RAV
Thanks for you answers
Definitely go as soon as you know you're unemployed. They will withhold monies if you don't - even if that notice isn't ending for another couple of months.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 27.01.2009, 00:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 91
Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sahasrara has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

Very helpful information, here's our scenario:

- we're both american who moved b/c of employement opportunities.
- she arrived pregnant, which we didn't know at the time.
- she worked from may07-dec07, then 1 month maternity leave jan08, 1 month unpaid feb08, and 3 months @ 40% mar-may08.
- she is being forced to resign, she will end employment at the end of sept.
- i understand you need 12 months full time employment, she will have 11 full and 3 @ 40%.

What we've heard:
- only EU members can receive unemployment benefits in CH
- you must have 12 months full time

should we not bother?

thanks in advance.

* On permits:
What will happen to her b permit? We're not married. I"m guessing we'll have to move back as she can't stay here after the permit expires, and does it expire after her employment officially ends?

Hi

As far as I know EU-citizens are entitled to get unemployment benefit as long as they have contributed social security either in Switzerland or in an EU-country for at least 12 months totalized, even if you had only a part-time job but were subject to social insurance contribution.

Regarding the unemployment benefit is been calculated on the basis of your last salary in Switzerland. If you have only worked for a month, they will take that as a basis for example.

Can someone confirm please ?

Best
Sahasrara
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 27.01.2009, 09:49
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Hi

As far as I know EU-citizens are entitled to get unemployment benefit as long as they have contributed social security either in Switzerland or in an EU-country for at least 12 months totalized, even if you had only a part-time job but were subject to social insurance contribution.

Regarding the unemployment benefit is been calculated on the basis of your last salary in Switzerland. If you have only worked for a month, they will take that as a basis for example.

Can someone confirm please ?

Best
Sahasrara
Non-EU citizens are entitled to Swiss unemployment benefits. Those claimants, who have worked in the EU, can use their contributions in the EU towards calculating entitlement in Switzerland.

Unemployment benefits are calculated on the basis of
  • Either average salary in last 6 months
  • Or average of last 12 months
whichever is better for the claimant. This is capped at about 110k annual.

The benefits are either 80% for married persons with children or 70% for most other claimants.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 27.01.2009, 09:54
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Hi RAVers
I have was given a termination notice from my job and have a couple of months left of their paid holiday. I am wondering when I should register at the RAV office, I know some people said they are nice and helpful, but is it really to my advantage to register earlier than I need to? I understand they won't put me on any courses until I am recieveing benefits. I read also somewhere the latest date to register was the first day after you are no longer employed so if my job pays me until end Feb, the last day I can go to the RAV office is March 3rd since March 1 is a Sunday? If others have experience of he ZH RAV office in LagerStrasse are they helpful or looking to find an excuse not to pay you your god given right to state benefits
I read in the papers they are trying to stop arbietslos going to citizens of east european countries, does anyone have an idea if/when this is this going to happen?
One more question did anyone mange to spend 3 months abroad "searching for work" while being paid by the RAV
Thanks for you answers
You may search abroad. But you must be physically present in Switzerland, at least on work days, to obtain Swiss benefits.

Even if you do not register at the RAV immediately, start applying for jobs now. Document all applications and employer's replies. The RAV will ask to see that as proof of best efforts to avoid unemployment.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 27.01.2009, 10:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Lindt Lover has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

I registered at the Zurich RAV, got my first appointment next week. My impression, they speak OK English, and are quite businesslike but not friendly. One thing I did not realize was I need to get a form filled in by my former employer. As I got transferred last year to a new employer they told me the former one need to complete the for too, I hope I get the forms back in time or they won't pay I don't think I can fill in my fom until they have given "reason for dismissal" I suppose if I write something different from them there will be a problem? Also of course bring your contract when you register at the RAV - I forgot
Better go fill in the forms and write some nice job application letters...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 27.01.2009, 11:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Near Zug
Posts: 3,415
Groaned at 18 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,946 Times in 1,167 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Does anyone know how it works for people working part-time? Will they be forced to take full-time jobs for the part-time salary?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12.05.2009, 01:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bassersdorf 8303
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vlad has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Can anybody advise: I have lived and worked in Zurich from 09/2006 till 02/2009 I can only show to my "Arbeitsloskasse" paystubs from my employer from 09/2006 - 02/2008 and from 10/2008 to 02/2009 .
"ALK Berater" is asking me about missing months. I am not sure why she
needs it , I have worked on salary for total of 18 months or so ( minimum required is 12 ) within last 2.5 years. ALK delaying my "taggeld" on the grounds that some information is missing or does not match my application in which I used one range of days for employment i.e 09/2006 - 02/2009. What should I do to solve this problem, I have 18 months of contributions to ALK which makes me elligible for unemployment benifits.
I am between a rock and a hard place, please help ! It's not fun to live 3 months without income . Should I tell ALK I was "selbständig" for 9 months ?
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12.05.2009, 11:06
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Can anybody advise: I have lived and worked in Zurich from 09/2006 till 02/2009 I can only show to my "Arbeitsloskasse" paystubs from my employer from 09/2006 - 02/2008 and from 10/2008 to 02/2009 .
"ALK Berater" is asking me about missing months. I am not sure why she
needs it , I have worked on salary for total of 18 months or so ( minimum required is 12 ) within last 2.5 years. ALK delaying my "taggeld" on the grounds that some information is missing or does not match my application in which I used one range of days for employment i.e 09/2006 - 02/2009. What should I do to solve this problem, I have 18 months of contributions to ALK which makes me elligible for unemployment benifits.
I am between a rock and a hard place, please help ! It's not fun to live 3 months without income . Should I tell ALK I was "selbständig" for 9 months ?
Tell them the truth. Which is?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12.05.2009, 12:34
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 849
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 222 Times in 179 Posts
bill_door has earned the respect of manybill_door has earned the respect of manybill_door has earned the respect of many
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Tell them the truth. Which is?
agreed, tell the truth.

something sounds iffy! if yo have been dishonest form the start and they have caught on to it then no income for only 3 months may be the least of your worries. how about 6, 9, ...

surely you have the annual statement which shows the taxes you paid during that year for all those years. your employer HAS to give it to you, usually in the January or February pay check.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12.05.2009, 18:30
lucy_sg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 677
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 339 Times in 199 Posts
lucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Can anybody advise: I have lived and worked in Zurich from 09/2006 till 02/2009 I can only show to my "Arbeitsloskasse" paystubs from my employer from 09/2006 - 02/2008 and from 10/2008 to 02/2009 .
"ALK Berater" is asking me about missing months. I am not sure why she
needs it , I have worked on salary for total of 18 months or so ( minimum required is 12 ) within last 2.5 years. ALK delaying my "taggeld" on the grounds that some information is missing or does not match my application in which I used one range of days for employment i.e 09/2006 - 02/2009. What should I do to solve this problem, I have 18 months of contributions to ALK which makes me elligible for unemployment benifits.
I am between a rock and a hard place, please help ! It's not fun to live 3 months without income . Should I tell ALK I was "selbständig" for 9 months ?
It is 12 contributions over the past 24 months. They will be looking into the payments between April 2007 and April 2009. If you cannot show 12 contributions (sorry, I haven't done the math), there is a good chance you will not be entitled to it.

On the other side, you have to provide them rigourous and demonstrable information. If you fail to do this, you will be in big trouble. And the do check this information thoroughly.

My recommendation is to tell them the truth, and explain them you did a mistake while filling the forms.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12.05.2009, 18:36
lucy_sg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 677
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 339 Times in 199 Posts
lucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond reputelucy_sg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone know how it works for people working part-time? Will they be forced to take full-time jobs for the part-time salary?
If memory serves me well, if you are entitled to the receive unemployment money, you will get the corresponding % of your daily allowance [Tagesgeld]. Meaning, if you look for an 80% job, you will 80% of the subsidy. I don't believe they can force you to apply for 100% jobs or accept the offer.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12.05.2009, 23:32
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,063 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Should I tell ALK I was "selbständig" for 9 months ?
You don't have a choice! Here is the problem, I expect that they are doubting that you were even in the country during the period (9 months is a long time without a salary) and if so then you may not qualify for the payments, since they would only start counting from the 10/2008 period....

Good luck with that,

Jim.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12.05.2009, 23:58
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

The OP cannot unilaterally decide to be "selbständig" (self employed). The self-employed must register that status with the AHV (social security) and should have paid taxes and soc-sec contributions.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 15.05.2009, 20:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bassersdorf 8303
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vlad has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Tell them the truth. Which is?
My grandmother died and I inherited lump sum of money in 2008 after my family sold her property , I was depressed did not want to work, after money were gone , I had to start looking for a new job and got one in the end of 2008, but got layed off Do I have to tell them all the details ?
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 15.05.2009, 20:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 849
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 222 Times in 179 Posts
bill_door has earned the respect of manybill_door has earned the respect of manybill_door has earned the respect of many
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
My grandmother died and I inherited lump sum of money in 2008 after my family sold her property , I was depressed did not want to work, after money were gone , I had to start looking for a new job and got one in the end of 2008, but got layed off Do I have to tell them all the details ?
a bit tongue in cheek but to answer ...

RAV can request as much proof as they need to so ... death cert, bank statements etc etc to 'justify' your story.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 15.05.2009, 20:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bassersdorf 8303
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vlad has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
Tell them the truth. Which is?
My grandmother died and I inherited lump sum of money in 2008 after my family sold her property , I was depressed did not want to work, after money were gone , I had to start looking for a new job and got one in the end of 2008, but got layed off Do I have to tell them all the details ?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 15.05.2009, 22:03
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bassersdorf 8303
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vlad has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
a bit tongue in cheek but to answer ...

RAV can request as much proof as they need to so ... death cert, bank statements etc etc to 'justify' your story.
I keep a picture of her grave with her name on it , this means more to me then any certificate.
I see your point though, I will have to prove something.
My other question is ( if you don't mind ) , if I get a job outside of Switzerland and lose that job within 5-6 months , can I come back to Switzerland , start looking for job and restart a whole RAV process again ?
Sorry for so many questions, I would not even apply if I did not have a family to support.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 15.05.2009, 22:10
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
My grandmother died and I inherited lump sum of money in 2008 after my family sold her property , I was depressed did not want to work, after money were gone , I had to start looking for a new job and got one in the end of 2008, but got layed off Do I have to tell them all the details ?
Did you pay tax on that inheritance?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 15.05.2009, 22:13
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
I keep a picture of her grave with her name on it , this means more to me then any certificate.
I see your point though, I will have to prove something.
My other question is ( if you don't mind ) , if I get a job outside of Switzerland and lose that job within 5-6 months , can I come back to Switzerland , start looking for job and restart a whole RAV process again ?
Sorry for so many questions, I would not even apply if I did not have a family to support.
If you worked in an EU country, then those months would qualify for Swiss unemployment entitlement.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 15.05.2009, 23:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bassersdorf 8303
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vlad has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV registration and benefit payable.

Quote:
View Post
If you worked in an EU country, then those months would qualify for Swiss unemployment entitlement.
I was offered a short ( 3 months ) contract with possible extention in U.S.A
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rav, unemployment




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0