JobsJobsJobsJobsJobsJobs
Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.10.2011, 14:29
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Serbia
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zoe88 has no particular reputation at present
English speaking jobs ?

hello, can you tell me have you find some job in english in Switzerland?
I am new here and I am working as a project manager on dif kind of cultural exchange and like to work with NGO's , in the field of creative industries, etc...
tell me your opinion when you find apropriate to do so
thanks in advance

Last edited by vwild1; 11.10.2011 at 21:02. Reason: correctly spelled the country's name
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.10.2011, 18:45
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 9,420
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Welcome to the forum. Have you looked this thread ?

English speaking companies + Web Sites for job searchers in Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10.10.2011, 00:20
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: England
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Rhysmelia has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Does anyone know any ways to find "normal/lower level" jobs?

I am 21, and don't have a degree and on all the jobsites I've looked through (many thanks to everyone who has posted sites to help) are offering jobs that I am quite honestly not qualified for, managerial roles etc. I am hoping to move over/spend a length of time in Switzerland and while I will be doing my utmost to improve my German while I'm there I was hoping I could find English speaking jobs to do until my German is (hopefullly ever) good enough to work in a German speaking environment.

I would be looking at jobs in bars, cafe's, cleaning hotels, English speaking tour guide. Stuff like that, but can't seem to find anything anywhere... Are these jobs only advertised locally?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Rhys
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10.10.2011, 09:21
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,197
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1,090 Times in 519 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Quote:
View Post
I would be looking at jobs in bars, cafe's, cleaning hotels, English speaking tour guide. Stuff like that, but can't seem to find anything anywhere... Are these jobs only advertised locally?
Not sure how useful it will be, but this site was regularly linked from the job search portal that I have been using:
http://www.hotelcareer.com/

For a generic site with all levels of jobs (everything from cleaners to directors), have a look at www.indeed.ch. This is a portal that pulls job ads from Monster, JobUp and many other job search websites.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11.10.2011, 20:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Serbia
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zoe88 has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum. Have you looked this thread ?

English speaking companies + Web Sites for job searchers in Switzerland
Thank you a lot, I hope it would be helpfull
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.05.2012, 10:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: India
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maddy_s has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Hi All,

I'm an IT professional, currently working in India and looking for relocation to Switzerland. I'm looking for an English speaking company as I don't know German, so could you please help me find an appropriate job.

Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07.05.2012, 13:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 381
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 272 Times in 145 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

I'm an IT professional, currently working in India and looking for relocation to Switzerland. I'm looking for an English speaking company as I don't know German, so could you please help me find an appropriate job.

Thanks in advance...
What do you do exactly?
And did you check the link in the previous message on this thread?
And are you eligible to work in CH?

Welcome to the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.05.2012, 13:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: basel Land
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
dev2pal has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

dear all, Pls remember in Switzerland, for day today living and normal life, u need to know basic German language and its mandatory in a way for you to maintain a balanced life in Switzerland (for you and for ur family) not to mention you need permit to work in first place.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07.05.2012, 13:46
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchatel
Posts: 4,406
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 4,836 Times in 2,390 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Quote:
View Post
dear all, Pls remember in Switzerland, for day today living and normal life, u need to know basic German language and its mandatory in a way for you to maintain a balanced life in Switzerland (for you and for ur family) not to mention you need permit to work in first place.
Or French (or Italian) depending on which part of the country you will be living in.

German wouldn't be much use to you in Lausanne or Lugano for example.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07.05.2012, 16:20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 381
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 272 Times in 145 Posts
dmarkd has earned some respectdmarkd has earned some respect
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Quote:
View Post
dear all, Pls remember in Switzerland, for day today living and normal life, u need to know basic German language and its mandatory in a way for you to maintain a balanced life in Switzerland (for you and for ur family) not to mention you need permit to work in first place.
This is an ENGLISH forum, not a flipping text-speak forum!

And I don't fully agree, it's not mandatory to know basic German/French/Italian. Sure, it helps and it makes things easier. But you can live quite ok anyway.

Big yes on the work permit though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.05.2012, 11:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: India
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maddy_s has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Thanks a lot for replying… 
• I'm a Software programmer working as a Senior System Engineer at Infosys Ltd. I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and three+ years of programming experience (majorly .net). I have good knowledge of C, C++, C#.NET, TSQL, SQL, PLSQL, Oracle, MOSS, Java and Cobol.
• I have gone through sites listed and few other sites as well but till now haven’t received even a single positive response. 
• I’m an Indian, so currently not authorized to work in CH, I need a visa/ work permit.
Switzerland is a dream place for me (loads of chocolates and cheese ), so looking for work +visa.
Was rigorously searching on net and found this awesome site.
And about the language, could people suggest me which language I should start with. German or French?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.05.2012, 12:16
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,398
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 2,062 Times in 1,000 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot for replying… 
• I'm a Software programmer working as a Senior System Engineer at Infosys Ltd. I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and three+ years of programming experience (majorly .net). I have good knowledge of C, C++, C#.NET, TSQL, SQL, PLSQL, Oracle, MOSS, Java and Cobol.
• I have gone through sites listed and few other sites as well but till now haven’t received even a single positive response. 
• I’m an Indian, so currently not authorized to work in CH, I need a visa/ work permit.
Switzerland is a dream place for me (loads of chocolates and cheese ), so looking for work +visa.
Was rigorously searching on net and found this awesome site.
And about the language, could people suggest me which language I should start with. German or French?
I don't want to be a nay-sayer or rain on your parade, but I don't think chances are too great that you will get something without having some sort of personal network contact. Of course, maybe your field is different and loads of people are needed. It is really hard right now for non-EU to get a job here, at least that is the feeling I have from people here. I also am looking and have a valid B permit with work permit and haven't had any luck (well, with the 1 job I applied for )

As far as which language to start with - well, that would really depend on where in Switzerland you are looking to land.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10.05.2012, 06:40
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: India
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maddy_s has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Thanks for the information Drmom. I'll keep posting my resumes on the sites mentioned.. and start learning French.. so that i get to work in CH.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.05.2012, 10:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Neuenburg Am Rhein - Germany
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sylvia Plath has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks a lot for replying… 
• I'm a Software programmer working as a Senior System Engineer at Infosys Ltd. I have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and three+ years of programming experience (majorly .net). I have good knowledge of C, C++, C#.NET, TSQL, SQL, PLSQL, Oracle, MOSS, Java and Cobol.
• I have gone through sites listed and few other sites as well but till now haven’t received even a single positive response. 
• I’m an Indian, so currently not authorized to work in CH, I need a visa/ work permit.
Switzerland is a dream place for me (loads of chocolates and cheese ), so looking for work +visa.
Was rigorously searching on net and found this awesome site.
And about the language, could people suggest me which language I should start with. German or French?
check that too :
RAMCO Systems
European headquarters of Indian IT company.
www.ramco.ch
good luck !
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 23.10.2012, 18:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bulle
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
snookr has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

I have also recently taken interested in Switzerland. I have worked in Healthcare for many years now, as a care assistant, a support worker in many environments such as hospitals and care homes.
Other than that I have no more academic certificates other than a few AS levels.
I honestly dont mind what job I do, as long as i can pay my bills, I am willing to try something new.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 24.10.2012, 08:44
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 235
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 122 Times in 79 Posts
international is considered knowledgeableinternational is considered knowledgeableinternational is considered knowledgeable
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Good morning

As you are from Bulle - do you speak any French?

I would contact nursing homes or smaller hospitals in the area, there is quite a lack of available personnel in Switzerland so if you are experienced you should probably find something.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24.10.2012, 11:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 413
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 138 Times in 97 Posts
Frank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeableFrank2k is considered knowledgeable
Re: English speaking jobs ?

To all non EU seekers: Just remember that most open positions that do not require any sort of academic back ground or specialization within a specific field (and even them that have a degree/specialized area of expertise), there are more than enough EU/Swiss people who can do the job and they are first in line. It's not worth the hassle to apply (and prove this and that) for a visa for a non-skilled/skilled workers when there is more than enough to pick from readily available in Europe.

I'm not saying it is impossible BUT don't get your hopes up...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Frank2k for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 24.10.2012, 15:25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 235
Groaned at 4 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 122 Times in 79 Posts
international is considered knowledgeableinternational is considered knowledgeableinternational is considered knowledgeable
Re: English speaking jobs ?

This is indeed the case, however in the field of healthcare Switzerland is sorely lacking in people willing to take the jobs - I would consider it worth a shot.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank international for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 24.10.2012, 19:13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bulle
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
snookr has no particular reputation at present
Re: English speaking jobs ?

ahh ok. many thanks, its worth the shot
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26.10.2012, 08:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 69
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
gaz_0001 has annoyed a few people around heregaz_0001 has annoyed a few people around heregaz_0001 has annoyed a few people around here
Re: English speaking jobs ?

Pretty much dont exist.

Someone please proove me wrong.

Looking for work for 5 months.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lugano English Speaking Jobs weaseltron Employment 21 23.07.2014 17:24
English speaking jobs Stevematthews Jobs wanted 3 07.08.2009 23:34
English only speaking jobs DenimGirl Employment 8 09.12.2008 16:08
English speaking contruction jobs zazu888 Employment 3 22.10.2008 12:41


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0