Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 22.10.2014, 18:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
deebeevee has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
It's possible to take 90 days unpaid holiday.
Hi there, what is your reference for saying so? I requested (in writing) some unpaid time off (that is, days away travelling, not job-searching = not controlled = no expected benefit paid), which was approved. And then upon my return was subject to 12 days "administrative sanction" for not actively job-seeking whilst I was absent. What's the go there? Intersted in your reference / source of advice.

Thanks, and with regards,

Last edited by 3Wishes; 22.10.2014 at 23:00. Reason: removed name
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 22.10.2014, 18:42
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,044 Times in 6,266 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Hi there, what is your reference for saying so? I requested (in writing) some unpaid time off (that is, days away travelling, not job-searching = not controlled = no expected benefit paid), which was approved. And then upon my return was subject to 12 days "administrative sanction" for not actively job-seeking whilst I was absent. What's the go there? Intersted in your reference / source of advice.

Thanks, and with regards,
I said you could take 90 days off, I never said there would not be any administrative sanctions. If your taking 3 months off, they think your taking the piss, which your are when in fact you should be looking for a job.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 22.10.2014 at 22:59. Reason: fixed name in quoted text
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22.10.2014, 20:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
deebeevee has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
… I never said there would not be any administrative sanctions.
Hi fatmanfilms, it may be my misunderstanding, but would you be kind enough please to clarify what you meant by "Your not fined" in the context of the statement "It's possible to take 90 days unpaid holiday".

Thanks, and with regards,

Last edited by 3Wishes; 22.10.2014 at 22:58. Reason: removed name
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 22.10.2014, 20:19
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,044 Times in 6,266 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Hi fatmanfilms, it may be my misunderstanding, but would you be kind enough please to clarify what you meant by "Your not fined" in the context of the statement "It's possible to take 90 days unpaid holiday".

Thanks, and with regards,
It's possible to take 90 days unpaid, however depending on the circumstances you might be penalised. I have been on 2 intro to RAV courses in English & this was indeed mentioned.
The RAV should minimise any insurance payout, if you go away then the chances of your unemployment lasting longer than would have been the case is very real, which is why the penalty. As in Switzerland it depends, if the holiday was related in some way to your work it might be looked at differently, if you want to just go travelling or do a ski season, you won't be in work mode when you return.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 22.10.2014 at 22:58. Reason: fixed name in quoted text
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 22.10.2014, 20:42
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,156 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

If you're confused on terminology, RAV does not 'fine' you in the same sense as you pay a fine for speeding. They 'penalize' you by reducing how many days of benefits they pay.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 22.10.2014, 21:37
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
deebeevee has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Yes, the administrative sanctions were indeed applied, whatever the rationale - whether to minimise the payout, encourage people to "get on with it", or whatever.

The thing here being that it was "OK'd" for me to proceed on a period of "uncontrolled days" (for which I would not be job-seeking, and hence would also not be seeking compensation). However, when I came back and re-entered the job-seeking system in full, I was penalised extra days, rather than simply being granted compensation for those days that I had been again job-seeking. It may simply be the way in which the paperwork ebbed and flowed, or something else.

But that is how it goes, and a case of live and learn. Many thanks for your prompt responses.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 22.10.2014, 23:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,044 Times in 6,266 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
If you're confused on terminology, RAV does not 'fine' you in the same sense as you pay a fine for speeding. They 'penalize' you by reducing how many days of benefits they pay.
Not really a good explanation, they issue a fine of 12 days & you get 12 days less money the following month & those 12 days are taken from the total no of days you can claim.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 22.10.2014, 23:21
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,156 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Not really a good explanation, they issue a fine of 12 days & you get 12 days less money the following month & those 12 days are taken from the total no of days you can claim.
Thanks. What I meant is you don't cut them a check or transfer funds from your bank to theirs as in the traditional sense of a fine. Instead it is a reduction in how much you receive, and most often it seems to be called a penalty. No matter what you call it, 12 days (or more) of without pay can be painful.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12.05.2015, 21:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sierra01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling While on Chomage- Possible?

Quote:
View Post
You can take unpaid holiday if up to 3 months, however you may be fined as your not that seriously looking for a job!
Would you know if the person taking unpaid holiday is required to look for jobs all the same while on vacation?
My RAV consultant wants to make me to look for jobs everyday while on unpaid holidays, but this does not make sense to me
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sierra01 for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 12.05.2015, 22:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sierra01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Yes, the administrative sanctions were indeed applied, whatever the rationale - whether to minimise the payout, encourage people to "get on with it", or whatever.

The thing here being that it was "OK'd" for me to proceed on a period of "uncontrolled days" (for which I would not be job-seeking, and hence would also not be seeking compensation). However, when I came back and re-entered the job-seeking system in full, I was penalised extra days, rather than simply being granted compensation for those days that I had been again job-seeking. It may simply be the way in which the paperwork ebbed and flowed, or something else.

But that is how it goes, and a case of live and learn. Many thanks for your prompt responses.

Cheers.
How many days of unpaid vacation did you took to correspond to a fine of 12 days?

In my case, for 20 days off, I am requested to look for jobs every day while on unpaid vacation and face a potential fine of 10 days.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12.05.2015, 22:21
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,044 Times in 6,266 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
How many days of unpaid vacation did you took to correspond to a fine of 12 days?

In my case, for 20 days off, I am requested to look for jobs every day while on unpaid vacation and face a potential fine of 10 days.
You could easily get no fine, if you have a good relationship with your advisor & they don't think your taking the piss. It's all about creating rapport, same skill as is needed to get a job
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 12.05.2015, 22:34
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,044 Times in 6,266 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling While on Chomage- Possible?

Quote:
View Post
Would you know if the person taking unpaid holiday is required to look for jobs all the same while on vacation?
My RAV consultant wants to make me to look for jobs everyday while on unpaid holidays, but this does not make sense to me
No you don't, the advisor is talking nonsense. They often make up stories to make themselves more important. Reading up on the Law & telling them what is allowed can be helpful I did get an advisor sacked after I was told I would be thrown out of the country if I did not have a job in 90 days, I had a C permit at the time, she also said I could only do part time work with her permission.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 13.05.2015, 03:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sierra01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
You could easily get no fine, if you have a good relationship with your advisor & they don't think your taking the piss. It's all about creating rapport, same skill as is needed to get a job
Is frustrating, I looked for jobs every day during my 2 month sick period even though I did not have to, and now that I want to take some time off my advisor is asking me to do look for a jobs while on unpaid vacation, what I been told is illegal.
Would you mind telling me how many days were you off?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 13.05.2015, 03:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sierra01 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling While on Chomage- Possible?

Quote:
View Post
No you don't, the advisor is talking nonsense. They often make up stories to make themselves more important. Reading up on the Law & telling them what is allowed can be helpful I did get an advisor sacked after I was told I would be thrown out of the country if I did not have a job in 90 days, I had a C permit at the time, she also said I could only do part time work with her permission.
Thank you, you are very helpful! It's horrible that you had to put up with all that.
What is the law name or article that I should read?
What is the procedure to make a complaint? do I need written evidence?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 13.05.2015, 11:47
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,044 Times in 6,266 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling While on Chomage- Possible?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you, you are very helpful! It's horrible that you had to put up with all that.
What is the law name or article that I should read?
What is the procedure to make a complaint? do I need written evidence?
There is a book on social security law, it's 8 years ago & I no longer have the book, no doubt it's on your advisors bookshelf!
I complained to the head of the RAV, we had a group meeting which she tried to say it was a misunderstanding. I did not accept that as an answer........
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 13.05.2015, 12:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
Yellowsisi has slipped a little
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Hello Xavier,

First of i admit i have not read all the replies posted because i got bored.
I was unemployed for a year and spent most of my time at home in London.
Reason being, i was really depressed and would have done the unthinkable if i had to spend more than 5 days here.
Now, I spoke to my RAV adviser and he said, if you go do not tell me about it and please do not have an accident while you are there. He also advised me to always be back in time to sign my documents and for meetings, which i did.
I did not tell any one where i was when i was not in the country. And if they pressured i told them to go to hell or that i was in Basel/Ticino etc.

I would tell you to go. For your heart and your head. Your family is clearly a big part of your life.
Tell no one, i mean no one and no facebook posts either.
Good Luck and God bless.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 13.05.2015, 12:49
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,428
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,490 Times in 721 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
You could easily get no fine, if you have a good relationship with your advisor & they don't think your taking the piss. It's all about creating rapport, same skill as is needed to get a job
Never a truer word spoken. I was on the RAV 6-7 years ago for a few months and asked the advisor if it was OK to go to England for weekends to visit my kids like I normally did and he said it was fine, and that it would also be ok to stretch it into long weekends as long as I was fulfilling the job application requirements. He also said not to inform him when I did this which I took to mean it was a local agreement between the two of us and officially not allowed.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 13.05.2015, 20:20
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,719
Groaned at 483 Times in 293 Posts
Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,967 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
I was unemployed for a year and spent most of my time at home in London. Reason being, i was really depressed and would have done the unthinkable if i had to spend more than 5 days here.
Yet quite happy to take the generous Swiss unemployment benefits.....
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Today only for this post:
  #39  
Old 13.05.2015, 21:45
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,800
Groaned at 189 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 24,234 Times in 6,529 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Yet quite happy to take the generous Swiss unemployment benefits.....
Which is an insurance policy. Plus, applying for jobs and doing what the RAV says is the same as an actual job. If you comply with the rules and can do it from London (i.e. you're still applying for all the relevant jobs and attending interviews) then I don't see the issue.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 13.05.2015, 23:15
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,044 Times in 6,266 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling while unemployed

Quote:
View Post
Which is an insurance policy. Plus, applying for jobs and doing what the RAV says is the same as an actual job. If you comply with the rules and can do it from London (i.e. you're still applying for all the relevant jobs and attending interviews) then I don't see the issue.
You can even officially go to the UK for 3 months to job search.........
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
unemployment




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Accident Insurance while unemployed... Angela-74 Insurance 34 21.12.2011 23:45
Renting while unemployed Dack Rambo Housing in general 7 18.06.2011 12:44
Canton Change while being unemployed Sahasrara Permits/visas/government 42 10.01.2011 13:09
Take an offer-- or not-- while unemployed?? ladyofzlac Employment 17 07.03.2010 13:07
Setting a business as a freelance while unemployed pepper8915 Business & entrepreneur 11 30.04.2008 12:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0