Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 04.07.2015, 19:40
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,666
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,134 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Being from Belgium. 6ok is a nice salary. remember tax is much much higher but nearly everything else is cheaper. I'd compare it with 90 to 100k here (lifestyle wise)

only downside to Belgium is that it rains ALL the time and houses All grey and not well maintained in my opinion (compared to CH)
Beer is much better though, and Moule Frites.. and Samourai sauce on maammoet speciaal, and Bolekes…..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 04.07.2015, 20:02
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,057
Groaned at 88 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,583 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Préparé/filet americain and kroketten! Not forgetting the lovely mayonaise with the vlaamse frietjes (flemish fries)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10.07.2015, 01:16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ZH
Posts: 121
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
maxiii has annoyed a few people around heremaxiii has annoyed a few people around heremaxiii has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

If you are a bachelor, I think no European country really compares to Switzerland regarding net-salary and even net-salary adjusted for spending. Yes, everything is more expensive here but it is not that much more expensive.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank maxiii for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 10.07.2015, 09:38
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 125
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
dbucar has made some interesting contributions
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
If you are a bachelor, I think no European country really compares to Switzerland regarding net-salary and even net-salary adjusted for spending. Yes, everything is more expensive here but it is not that much more expensive.
From my 1st and 2nd hand experiences, I can mostly agree.
E.g. Norway is quite up high with the salaries (as well as costs), but I still think (for a bachelor as a beginner) the ratio is not as up there as CH.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10.07.2015, 14:52
donpiedro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 538
Groaned at 26 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 740 Times in 295 Posts
donpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of many
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Belgium is not cheap. The cost of living is not much less than Switzerland and taxes are higher.
I for sure agree with you on the tax part but really don't understand your cost of living comment? After almost a living here for a year I start to get the feel of it.

In Belgium (Antwerp) we lived in a 5 bedroom average sized house + garden with our two kids and the house costed us +/- 1300 EUR/month and let's say the rest (food, water, gas, electricity, entertainment, various bits and pieces) etc would be another 1500/EUR a month.

Here we live in a 3 bedroom flat paying 3500 CHF/month incl. gas/water/electricity and we easily spend 2500 CHF a month on food & entertainment. On top of that comes the private health insurance we had to take out here (which is not the case in Belgium) and which in my case costs about 1000 CHF/month.

Our lifestyles have not really changed (e.g. not having champagne breakfasts etc ). We are basically living the same life as how we would live in Belgium and I like to believe that we are "economic" shoppers.

So roughly that is 6150 CHF / month against 2800 EUR/ month in Belgium.

For me it is obvious that the cost of living in Belgium is far cheaper than in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10.07.2015, 14:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evian France
Posts: 633
Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 387 Times in 230 Posts
evianers has earned some respectevianers has earned some respect
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Yes, we have to agree with what has been written by Don Peidro. We have lived in both places and there is no doubt Belgium is considerably less expensive. Downside was that my OH, on a normal salary, paid 50% in taxes.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10.07.2015, 15:33
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 627
Groaned at 98 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 399 Times in 218 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I for sure agree with you on the tax part but really don't understand your cost of living comment? After almost a living here for a year I start to get the feel of it.

In Belgium (Antwerp) we lived in a 5 bedroom average sized house + garden with our two kids and the house costed us +/- 1300 EUR/month and let's say the rest (food, water, gas, electricity, entertainment, various bits and pieces) etc would be another 1500/EUR a month.

Here we live in a 3 bedroom flat paying 3500 CHF/month incl. gas/water/electricity and we easily spend 2500 CHF a month on food & entertainment. On top of that comes the private health insurance we had to take out here (which is not the case in Belgium) and which in my case costs about 1000 CHF/month.

Our lifestyles have not really changed (e.g. not having champagne breakfasts etc ). We are basically living the same life as how we would live in Belgium and I like to believe that we are "economic" shoppers.

So roughly that is 6150 CHF / month against 2800 EUR/ month in Belgium.

For me it is obvious that the cost of living in Belgium is far cheaper than in Switzerland.
So you mean you would be better off in Belgium than in CH? Where you have to work more hours to cover your monthly expenses? Or where you have more disposable income after basic expenses?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10.07.2015, 17:26
donpiedro's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 538
Groaned at 26 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 740 Times in 295 Posts
donpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of manydonpiedro has earned the respect of many
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
So you mean you would be better off in Belgium than in CH? Where you have to work more hours to cover your monthly expenses? Or where you have more disposable income after basic expenses?
That's not what I'm saying.

We are better of in CH, since our monthly net income has increased threefold whereas our living expenses only doubled. So more disposable income after expenses here.

That being said we did not chose to move here on the basis of that alone. We moved here because CH is a beautiful country in general and the air is less polluted than in Belgium. Also I believe in the Swiss education system and I love the fact that we became much more "active" people (e.g. skiing, swimming, cycling). All these things combined make it that we have a better life here.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank donpiedro for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 10.07.2015, 18:04
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ZH
Posts: 121
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
maxiii has annoyed a few people around heremaxiii has annoyed a few people around heremaxiii has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I for sure agree with you on the tax part but really don't understand your cost of living comment? After almost a living here for a year I start to get the feel of it.

In Belgium (Antwerp) we lived in a 5 bedroom average sized house + garden with our two kids and the house costed us +/- 1300 EUR/month and let's say the rest (food, water, gas, electricity, entertainment, various bits and pieces) etc would be another 1500/EUR a month.

Here we live in a 3 bedroom flat paying 3500 CHF/month incl. gas/water/electricity and we easily spend 2500 CHF a month on food & entertainment. On top of that comes the private health insurance we had to take out here (which is not the case in Belgium) and which in my case costs about 1000 CHF/month.

Our lifestyles have not really changed (e.g. not having champagne breakfasts etc ). We are basically living the same life as how we would live in Belgium and I like to believe that we are "economic" shoppers.

So roughly that is 6150 CHF / month against 2800 EUR/ month in Belgium.

For me it is obvious that the cost of living in Belgium is far cheaper than in Switzerland.
This is only true for YOUR lifestyle. 3.5k for three bedroom is really a lot. Where do you live? On Paradeplatz? You can get a three bedroom apartment in Oerlikon for 1.8k.

Also, obviously "entertainment" or restaurants are two to three times more expensive in Zurich compared to the rest of Europe as the service sector is two to three times better paid.

If one can adjust ones lifestyle a little bit (e.g., learn to cook) one can save lots of money in Switzerland. This saved money can then be invested or kept as an emergency fund etc. This is very, very much more difficult in Belgium or elsewhere in Europe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank maxiii for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 10.07.2015, 19:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Evian France
Posts: 633
Groaned at 19 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 387 Times in 230 Posts
evianers has earned some respectevianers has earned some respect
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
This is only true for YOUR lifestyle. 3.5k for three bedroom is really a lot. Where do you live? On Paradeplatz? You can get a three bedroom apartment in Oerlikon for 1.8k.

Also, obviously "entertainment" or restaurants are two to three times more expensive in Zurich compared to the rest of Europe as the service sector is two to three times better paid.

If one can adjust ones lifestyle a little bit (e.g., learn to cook) one can save lots of money in Switzerland. This saved money can then be invested or kept as an emergency fund etc. This is very, very much more difficult in Belgium or elsewhere in Europe.

No, he lives in Nyon - it says so at least
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank evianers for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 11.07.2015, 10:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 305
Groaned at 15 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 89 Posts
kittekat has earned some respectkittekat has earned some respect
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

I agree with Don Piedro. The cost of living in Belgium is really much cheaper. As mentioned, healthcare, dentists, theatre, opera, most of the groceries esp. meat, fruits, vegetables, are cheaper. You can go to a cheap restaurant and eat well, whereas here you would spend much more for the same quality of food. As for the rental cost, that is something you can decide yourself how big and expensive you want to live. The wages in Belgium are not so high, as a result many people I know there don't have a lot of savings. My impression is that I can save more in Switzerland, because there is less to do, and the activities are so expensive that I prefer to stay home.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11.07.2015, 10:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 305
Groaned at 15 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 89 Posts
kittekat has earned some respectkittekat has earned some respect
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
+1 on Antwerpen. Also spent some time in Mechelen, much smaller but also nice. Brussels is a cool city as well, although I preferred Antwerpen (Dutch being my mother tongue was one reason)
I would like to add Ghent as an attractive interesting town. If you like nature, you can live in the Ardennes, where the houses are a lot cheaper than in the towns mentioned above.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11.07.2015, 10:46
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bern
Posts: 120
Groaned at 7 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 54 Times in 35 Posts
Britmumabroad has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Just arrived from Belgium last week and would agree it is cheaper there- that after the shock of grocery shopping and then having an ice cream and a drink for 4 in the Bern city centre!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11.07.2015, 14:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 627
Groaned at 98 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 399 Times in 218 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Salary comparison Belgium - Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
That's not what I'm saying.

We are better of in CH, since our monthly net income has increased threefold whereas our living expenses only doubled. So more disposable income after expenses here.

That being said we did not chose to move here on the basis of that alone. We moved here because CH is a beautiful country in general and the air is less polluted than in Belgium. Also I believe in the Swiss education system and I love the fact that we became much more "active" people (e.g. skiing, swimming, cycling). All these things combined make it that we have a better life here.
Thanks for the answer. My question was more of a discussion provocation. I believe it's wrong to say "oh, Belgium is much cheaper than Switzerland.." Well, for whom? A tourist? Or a resident? In my view Belgium is MORE expensive for a resident there than is Switzerland for resident in Switzerland. In other words, a Belgium needs to work more hours to cover the living expenses than a Swiss.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Salary comparison €50k Dublin, Ireland 》125k chf Zurich JDK Employment 20 14.02.2016 13:25
Comparison Canada/NorthAmerica vs. Switzerland! Swiss-Canadian Girl Daily life 43 09.03.2012 16:38
Salary comparison Snoope Employment 36 19.09.2011 10:07
Visa required for South Africans living in Belgium with Belgium ID card Upthehatters2008 Permits/visas/government 7 12.09.2011 08:26
income comparison Switzerland to US! Tupac Employment 11 17.01.2011 13:31


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0