Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.09.2015, 16:05
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
jrsmith has no particular reputation at present
RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a RAV compensation payments question.

I am a PhD student and have recently been given a 50% contract by my supervisor (both time and salary) as I finish my PhD. I was planning to go to the RAV as I understand that they offer compensation payments, giving you 70% of the difference in wages between the previous (full) salary and the 50% I am on now.

My question is: if they find a 100% job which I am suited for given my qualifications, do I have to accept it? Or can I insist that I only want another 50% job whilst I already have another 50% job, my PhD?

Obviously I want to get the PhD done ASAP, as I will be in a much stronger position to look for permanent jobs then. If I am forced to take a 100% job then finishing the PhD is going to be shunted back months. However, each month I leave it before going to the RAV I reduce future RAV compensation once the PhD is finished as my 12 month average earnings gets dragged down by the new 50% salary.

Also, as I am under 30 I am a little wary of the fact they can force me to take any job offered - even if it is does not take account of your skills/experience - and possibility to affect future job finding prospects (post PhD...).

Any help or advice if you have been in a similar position would be appreciated.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.09.2015, 16:11
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,716
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,029 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

By law you have to do ANYTHING to reduce the insurance claim, so if the RAV find out that you refused a full time job you will be in serious trouble.

The RAV will only know you have applied for jobs you put on the monthly form, It's quite possible that the RAV will contact those companies.

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a RAV compensation payments question.

I am a PhD student and have recently been given a 50% contract by my supervisor (both time and salary) as I finish my PhD. I was planning to go to the RAV as I understand that they offer compensation payments, giving you 70% of the difference in wages between the previous (full) salary and the 50% I am on now.

My question is: if they find a 100% job which I am suited for given my qualifications, do I have to accept it? Or can I insist that I only want another 50% job whilst I already have another 50% job, my PhD?

Obviously I want to get the PhD done ASAP, as I will be in a much stronger position to look for permanent jobs then. If I am forced to take a 100% job then finishing the PhD is going to be shunted back months. However, each month I leave it before going to the RAV I reduce future RAV compensation once the PhD is finished as my 12 month average earnings gets dragged down by the new 50% salary.

Also, as I am under 30 I am a little wary of the fact they can force me to take any job offered - even if it is does not take account of your skills/experience - and possibility to affect future job finding prospects (post PhD...).

Any help or advice if you have been in a similar position would be appreciated.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.09.2015, 16:14
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,472
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,488 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

As you are not unemployed I doubt you'll get anything. Why would they give you compensation payments? If that were the case everyone would be working only 50% and claiming the rest. Unless it's different when you're technically still a student.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.09.2015, 16:22
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,716
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,029 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
As you are not unemployed I doubt you'll get anything. Why would they give you compensation payments? If that were the case everyone would be working only 50% and claiming the rest. Unless it's different when you're technically still a student.
PHD students get paid in CH, the percentages are actually based on money rather than hours which many RAV officers & workers at the Casse don't actually fully appreciate.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 30.09.2015, 16:40
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,855
Groaned at 167 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,886 Times in 3,980 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
PHD students get paid in CH, the percentages are actually based on money rather than hours which many RAV officers & workers at the Casse don't actually fully appreciate.
Yes, but the point is that the OP is not becoming unemployed, simply changing to a 50% position. So the RAV won't be able to do anything.

If someone were already unemployed and in receipt of RAV payment, and were then offered a low-paid part-time job, the RAV may indeed make up the difference between that and the nominal 70% of previous salary, which is I suspect what the OP was thinking of. And of course it's expected that the rest of the time you're available for work and are still actively looking for new jobs, etc. and fulfilling all the RAV's requirements, which I doubt a PhD student would be able to do anyway.
__________________
Introduce yourself!
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 30.09.2015, 16:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
jrsmith has no particular reputation at present
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Thanks Ace1, I think your post answers the question.
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.09.2015, 21:19
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,482
Groaned at 47 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,204 Times in 865 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but the point is that the OP is not becoming unemployed, simply changing to a 50% position. So the RAV won't be able to do anything.

If someone were already unemployed and in receipt of RAV payment, and were then offered a low-paid part-time job, the RAV may indeed make up the difference between that and the nominal 70% of previous salary, which is I suspect what the OP was thinking of. And of course it's expected that the rest of the time you're available for work and are still actively looking for new jobs, etc. and fulfilling all the RAV's requirements, which I doubt a PhD student would be able to do anyway.
Does that mean if your hours are cut from 100% to 50% that they will not do anything?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30.09.2015, 21:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,355
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,366 Times in 10,062 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Will have to find the link again- but I remember that if your hours are cut, normally because it is an alternative to redundancy if the business is in trouble, then some compensation is possible, in some special cases- usually with union involvement- this had happened in the watch and precision engineering before.

So it is worth going to ORP/RAV to ask.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 30.09.2015, 21:34
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,472
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,488 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
Does that mean if your hours are cut from 100% to 50% that they will not do anything?
Why would they? You're not unemployed, just had your hours reduced. If you don't like it find a new job or additional job to make up the money. Unfortunately for the OP, it sounds like it's either live with the reduced hours or find an additional job and then the PhD gets delayed for a while.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Medea Fleecestealer for this post:
  #10  
Old 30.09.2015, 21:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,355
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,366 Times in 10,062 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Well, it is called 'Chomage technique' /reduction des horaires de travail:

RHT : conditions

La perte de travail est prise en considération

  • Lorsqu'elle est due à des facteurs d'ordre économique et lorsqu'elle est inévitable.
  • Si elle est d'au moins 10%. Elle se calcule sur le total des heures à effectuer dans l'entreprise, après déduction de tous les congés payés et non payés. Cette condition est essentielle.
  • Lorsque l'horaire normal est celui prévu par le contrat ou par l'usage local dans le secteur économique.
  • Lorsqu'elle est de nature temporaire et que le maintien des emplois est garanti.
In short: when is is due to economic factors and inevitable. If it is at least 10% reduction, taking holidays into account. When it is temporary and jobs are guaranteed. So very specific conditions- and probably not applicable in this case- as job is temporary contract by nature. No harm in asking though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30.09.2015, 21:51
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,482
Groaned at 47 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,204 Times in 865 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
Why would they? You're not unemployed, just had your hours reduced. If you don't like it find a new job or additional job to make up the money. Unfortunately for the OP, it sounds like it's either live with the reduced hours or find an additional job and then the PhD gets delayed for a while.
But if the whole point is to save the RAV money it makes no sense, because, who would accept a 50% pay cut if the alternative is to be unemployed on 70%?
Especially if it is likely that you will be made entirely unemployed in the future and then your RAV will be 35% of what you started with.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank MsWorWoo for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 30.09.2015, 23:39
etefan02's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: switzerland
Posts: 64
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 34 Times in 17 Posts
etefan02 is considered unworthyetefan02 is considered unworthyetefan02 is considered unworthyetefan02 is considered unworthy
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
But if the whole point is to save the RAV money it makes no sense, because, who would accept a 50% pay cut if the alternative is to be unemployed on 70%?
Especially if it is likely that you will be made entirely unemployed in the future and then your RAV will be 35% of what you started with.
Wow that is so true, dang, but well maybe it is worth staying with such job for curriculum development.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30.09.2015, 23:56
FunnyBone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 495
Groaned at 24 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 705 Times in 325 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

So, let me see if I got this right:
1. You are currently a full time PhD student (and get paid a salary). When are you due to finish your studies?
2. You have currently another PT position (so more salary).
3. You want to supplement this PT position with RAV income.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FunnyBone for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 01.10.2015, 07:40
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,482
Groaned at 47 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,204 Times in 865 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
So, let me see if I got this right:
1. You are currently a full time PhD student (and get paid a salary). When are you due to finish your studies?
2. You have currently another PT position (so more salary).
3. You want to supplement this PT position with RAV income.
As far as I know (source, my PhD students in UZH) PhD students have a 50%-60% contract with the university and are employed on that basis, but are expected to work 100%. This means that theorectically they can get supplimental work of up to 50%, but this can effect their studies, that OP's supervisor has employed them an additional 50% would indicate that they do not think this is a problem. But the RAV will not pay out because the OP has two jobs totalling 100%.
Or, maybe, OP has finished the funded period of her PhD and their supervisor has found a 50% contract to help support them during the write up period. If that is the case the RAV will probably not do anything because the OP has job a job on the same monetry terms.

Anyway, annoys me because during my PhD I was fully funded at £8,000 a year and not allowed to take on extra work without permission except the £9 an hour demonstration jobs for a maximum of 100 hours a year. And the PhD never counted towards unemployment insurence either. PhD students here are so lucky
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.10.2015, 09:00
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,472
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,488 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Quote:
View Post
So, let me see if I got this right:
1. You are currently a full time PhD student (and get paid a salary). When are you due to finish your studies?
2. You have currently another PT position (so more salary).
3. You want to supplement this PT position with RAV income.
No, you have it wrong.

OP had a 100% job which has been cut to 50%. He/she is asking if RAV would make up some of the difference in salary and also if RAV finds another 100% job do they have to take it or could they insist on only taking a 50% job as they already have one that's at 50% (the PhD). No mention of yet another 50% job on top of the full time PhD one (your number 2 suggestion).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 01.10.2015, 11:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,018
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,743 Times in 1,935 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

The real issue here is:
Presumably you've been given a 50% contract at your own request.

Based on that, your situation is planned and completely intentional. There's such thing as an insurance that covers the consequences of intentional actions, unemployment insurance is no exception.

Additionally, you appear to not really be looking for an additional 50% so you're not "vermittelbar", which also have the RAV refuse to pay.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01.10.2015, 16:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 258
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 182 Times in 105 Posts
mgosia is considered knowledgeablemgosia is considered knowledgeablemgosia is considered knowledgeable
Re: RAV: compensation payments for part-time work

Presumably he has taken too long to finish and his boss is either running out of funds or trying to 'motivate' him to finish. The point is, if you are finishing your PhD, you are in fact working 100+% and are neither available to look for a new job nor take another job even if part-time. Thus you do not qualify for RAV payments.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
rav




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAV and part time work (i.e., topping up 80%) herzog Employment 6 25.03.2015 20:49
RAV - Part-time overseas work, payments stopped outrage Employment 5 08.05.2013 12:36
RAV - change from full-time to part-time Giraffe Employment 3 23.04.2012 18:27
part time work and rav buchs Employment 5 15.03.2011 15:28
will RAV pay even when looking for part time work? TapiroLee Employment 4 27.04.2009 00:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0