Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 17.11.2015, 11:14
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,775
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,090 Times in 6,289 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post

As I understand it, the moment you accept work you are absolved of applying for jobs, as long as the starting date is within a month. In my case I got all my payments without issue. I took advantage of not having to apply for jobs in May to go and travel a bit.
Not correct, you have to do anything to reduce the claim, part time temporary work is quite possible. Expect to be punished if you stop looking.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 17.11.2015, 11:54
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,274
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,491 Times in 6,020 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
As I understand it, the moment you accept work you are absolved of applying for jobs, as long as the starting date is within a month. In my case I got all my payments without issue. I took advantage of not having to apply for jobs in May to go and travel a bit.
As per my post was this 100% not the case for me. Maybe it's different per Kanton, per Kasse or what do I know... but I do not think this is the law. Maybe a reasonable advisor can allow you to skip them?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17.11.2015, 12:22
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,505 Times in 725 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
As I understand it, the moment you accept work you are absolved of applying for jobs, as long as the starting date is within a month. In my case I got all my payments without issue. I took advantage of not having to apply for jobs in May to go and travel a bit.
This is how it worked for me in Zurich 6-7 years ago. As soon as I had an offer the RAV guy said not to bother with anymore applications, I didn't have to pay anything back and my start date was over a month away.

Seems strange to me.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 17.11.2015, 12:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 261
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Tassadar is considered knowledgeableTassadar is considered knowledgeableTassadar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
I was unemployed for the month of August in Kanton Zurich and received RAV. I made around 16 job applications .....
Well this might be the issue because as far as I remember, the person should have been active on job search for the last three months before the contract expires. In this situation mentioned, they could have and most probably did expected monthly around 10 - 15 qualitative applications, which makes in total minimum of 30 qualitative applications.

Nevertheless, it would be even possible to write an official letter and explain your situation and be excused.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17.11.2015, 13:12
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,958 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
Well this might be the issue because as far as I remember, the person should have been active on job search for the last three months before the contract expires. In this situation mentioned, they could have and most probably did expected monthly around 10 - 15 qualitative applications, which makes in total minimum of 30 qualitative applications.
This.

I doubt they'd cut by half a months salary for you stopping a bit early.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 17.11.2015, 13:51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 261
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Tassadar is considered knowledgeableTassadar is considered knowledgeableTassadar is considered knowledgeable
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
This.

I doubt they'd cut by half a months salary for you stopping a bit early.
Or

Starting a bit late
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 17.11.2015, 16:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,054
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,958 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Three months isn't just "a bit" (in my book).
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17.11.2015, 16:31
jacek's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aargau
Posts: 7,446
Groaned at 96 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,827 Times in 2,766 Posts
jacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond reputejacek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't wanna play with RAV's bollocks and make sure that you keep on applying for those jobs until the date you actually signed the contract and beyond.

Let's assume, for sake of argument, that you will start your job on the 01.01.2016 and signed the contract on the 10.12.2015. Then ALK would need to pay you for all 22 days in December because you didn't work during that month.

Therefore good practice still would be to keep on sending these applications until the end of December. In the worst case you would have apologized employer if not able to take the job from those apps sent (if it had panned out).

You want to have clear record with RAV and ALK first, as long as you are on their insurance being paid by them.
__________________
🎾That's what we do to help English speaking expats community in Switzerland:
General Information About Swiss Tennis
Tennis Lessons Summer Winter Seasons
🎾🎾Our charity organization to help unprivileged kids to realize their dreams:
FMTF Supports Tennis For Children in Southern Africa
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 17.11.2015, 16:51
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
This is how it worked for me in Zurich 6-7 years ago. As soon as I had an offer the RAV guy said not to bother with anymore applications, I didn't have to pay anything back and my start date was over a month away.
Same here. And my start date was over 3 months away! About 10 years ago I was on unemployment benefit for about a year or so. But as soon as I had a signed contract (in the April), I had no further job search requirements, nor any more appointments with RAV until my start date (only in the August), which basically meant 3 and a half months paid holiday!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 17.11.2015, 20:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 3,832
Groaned at 93 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 5,376 Times in 2,002 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

The Billy Goats Gruff must have phoned in sick.

Quote:
View Post
Ah, Richdog, how cute -- a drive-by groan for my post about grammarians living in glass houses. Truly the mark of the ignorant: you don't understand basic grammar, so you hit the groan button. Even Divesnowboy took the criticism in good grace.

Maybe you should leave grown-up writing to the grown-ups, hmmm?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 17.11.2015, 20:26
Texaner's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zentralschweiz
Posts: 2,043
Groaned at 98 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,424 Posts
Texaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond reputeTexaner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
Good grief, what kind of people must they employ?!.
Unaccountable morons, for starters.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 17.11.2015, 21:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,191
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,945 Times in 4,676 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
Ah, Richdog, how cute -- a drive-by groan for my post about grammarians living in glass houses. Truly the mark of the ignorant: you don't understand basic grammar, so you hit the groan button. Even Divesnowboy took the criticism in good grace.

Maybe you should leave grown-up writing to the grown-ups, hmmm?
I didn't actually groan you on purpose so have now removed it (I'm on a tablet, it causes occasional browsing mistakes, not the first or last time I'm sure as it's a nightmare to write on), but it is somewhat amusing to see how far your dummy was spat when you thought I did. I don't understand basic grammar? Ahem, OK, right, what a delightfully knee-jerk little response. I must confess that I didn't realise you were such a delicate little flower... however I'll be sure to bear it in mind for future reference.

Last edited by Richdog; 17.11.2015 at 21:45.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 17.11.2015, 22:01
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

"Gets spat out". Not "spit". Admittedly not basic grammar, though.*

Actually, Richdog, it's the attitude epitomised by what I thought was an unwarranted groan from you that triggered the "knee-jerk little response". As you're one of the main offenders, you won't have noticed that this forum has become more and more hostile, especially to new users, with a small band of old hands repeatedly and aggressively bullying others with derogatory put-downs, groans and red rep. One might laugh it off as "just the internet" -- clearly, you do -- but one would be very wrong to do so. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that many people who find EF and lurk for a while are quickly dissuaded from posting or even registering, for fear of the response they may attract from the core of bullies. If you really need me to, I can search for the multiple threads on EF that address this issue, to show you this anecdotal evidence.

That's the reason I objected to your groan. It doesn't affect me if you or others play petty electronic games, but provably, it does affect others. It needs to stop. Some in that bullying clique are simply offensive, objectionable, nasty people who frankly couldn't care less if they cause distress to others. Others are too wrapped up in themselves to notice. Which are you? Do you want to do something to make things better?

In this instance, I got it wrong. You didn't groan with malice. But you've certainly been very aggressive with others on this forum and it would really be appreciated if you could make an effort to help make EF more inclusive for everybody.

Thanks.

I deliberately used conjunctions to start a couple of sentences in this post, by the way. But if that offends you, groan away.

*I see you edited your post while I was replying to it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 17.11.2015, 22:35
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,191
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,945 Times in 4,676 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
"Gets spat out". Not "spit". Admittedly not basic grammar, though.*

Actually, Richdog, it's the attitude epitomised by what I thought was an unwarranted groan from you that triggered the "knee-jerk little response". As you're one of the main offenders, you won't have noticed that this forum has become more and more hostile, especially to new users, with a small band of old hands repeatedly and aggressively bullying others with derogatory put-downs, groans and red rep. One might laugh it off as "just the internet" -- clearly, you do -- but one would be very wrong to do so. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that many people who find EF and lurk for a while are quickly dissuaded from posting or even registering, for fear of the response they may attract from the core of bullies. If you really need me to, I can search for the multiple threads on EF that address this issue, to show you this anecdotal evidence.

That's the reason I objected to your groan. It doesn't affect me if you or others play petty electronic games, but provably, it does affect others. It needs to stop. Some in that bullying clique are simply offensive, objectionable, nasty people who frankly couldn't care less if they cause distress to others. Others are too wrapped up in themselves to notice. Which are you? Do you want to do something to make things better?

In this instance, I got it wrong. You didn't groan with malice. But you've certainly been very aggressive with others on this forum and it would really be appreciated if you could make an effort to help make EF more inclusive for everybody.

Thanks.

I deliberately used conjunctions to start a couple of sentences in this post, by the way. But if that offends you, groan away.

*I see you edited your post while I was replying to it.
Goodness grief. There are various people, DB for example, who have been trolling semi-aggressively for years, and only now you feel you notice a vast change in the forum? Newsflash; it's been this way for ages and it's still full of the same plonkers in all of their various forms as it was 5 years ago.

Speaking of attitude, stop being such an overreactive big wet blanket, it doesn't become you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Richdog for this post:
  #35  
Old 17.11.2015, 22:48
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
the forum? ... it's been this way for ages and it's still full of the same idiots as it was 5 years ago
That's just rude. There's really no need for that. If you think that the forum is full of idiots and has been full of those same idiots for at least 5 years, why do you (and others) utilize the forum? I really don't understand.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank plumtree for this useful post:
This user groans at plumtree for this post:
  #36  
Old 17.11.2015, 22:59
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,274
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,491 Times in 6,020 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
That's just rude. There's really no need for that. If you think that the forum is full of idiots and has been full of those same idiots for at least 5 years, why do you (and others) utilize the forum? I really don't understand.
Not all idiots have been around for five years... some just joined recently.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 18.11.2015, 09:03
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
Not all idiots have been around for five years... some just joined recently.
That's just rude. There's really no need for that. You should be ashamed of yourself.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at plumtree for this post:
  #38  
Old 18.11.2015, 10:08
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,757
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,996 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paying RAV back...

Quote:
View Post
Goodness grief. There are various people, DB for example, who have been trolling semi-aggressively for years, and only now you feel you notice a vast change in the forum? Newsflash; it's been this way for ages and it's still full of the same plonkers in all of their various forms as it was 5 years ago.

Let me see, you joined back in 2009, so that's...........6 years
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAV - baby sick = RAV meeting Switzerland12 Employment 7 16.09.2014 12:11
Resignation, notice period and paying back moving costs robban Employment 8 25.10.2013 10:08
Swiss company not paying back "loan" Alex999 Finance/banking/taxation 4 02.09.2012 21:47
Leaving CH for a job while on RAV and coming back‏ Bub72 Employment 4 14.09.2010 22:03
tax returns- for getting money back....not paying heatherC Finance/banking/taxation 2 03.02.2010 17:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0