Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
We wrote down with whom we had interviews, from which countries they were and why we didnīt hire them. That was enough to hire a non-EU person.
Sounds so easy lol. Guess the Zurich officials were in a good mood.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:21
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,036
Groaned at 87 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,568 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
Sounds so easy lol. Guess the Zurich officials were in a good mood.


Uhm, why? We had a lot of non-EU people working for the company.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
On the other hand, if the employer wouldn't be confident they would get the permit for you, you wouldn't even be considered for the position.
This is very interesting. Is it really that these large companies first affirm that they can get the permit and then decide to hire? But how would you do that for 300+ candidates that applied initially? Challenging!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:28
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,268
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,462 Times in 6,017 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

First: Don't panic.


Second: Yes, it is getting togher for non-EU people to get a permit in CH. It seems particularly tough in Cantons with a lot of foreigners already. Another factor seems to be your employer - really small businesses seem to get their applications through and some large famous companies as yours seem to have a "close working relationship" with the migration office - the large banks in Zurich or the Pharmas in Basel seem to be offered what they want from their Cantons. It's the medium sized companies that seem to struggle to get the people they are looking for...
__________________
There is a special place in Hull reserved for the guy who invented autocorrect.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
Uhm, why? We had a lot of non-EU people working for the company.
Sweet! I mean, I really do hope it gets that easy in my case too.

Do you have any idea about how it goes in Basel?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:30
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,036
Groaned at 87 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,568 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Sorry no, Iīm in Kanton Zurich
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry no, Iīm in Kanton Zurich
Ah cool! Thanks Roegner.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:37
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,505
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,640 Times in 5,506 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Priority

(Art. 21 AuG)

Third state nationals may only be admitted if a person can not be recruited from the labour market of Switzerland or another EU/EFTA member state. Swiss citizens, foreign nationals with a longterm residence permit or a residence permit allowing employment, as well as all citizens from those countries with which Switzerland has concluded the Free Movement of Persons Agreement (at present, the EU and EFTA states) are given priority. Employers must prove that they have not been able to recruit a suitable employee from this priority category, despite intensive efforts.

Vacant positions must be registered with the Regional Employment Offices (RAV) together with a request to register the vacancy in the European Employment System (EURES = the European Union’s Employment Services cooperation network). Once a potential employee has been put in contact with the employer and subsequently turned down, the employers generally receive a questionnaire in which they can state the reasons the potential employee was not hired.

Moreover, the employer must explain to the authorities why the search for a suitable candidate by means of the recruitment channels used in the specific industry, such as specialist journals, employment agencies, online job listings or corporate websites, etc., was not successful. Suitable proof includes job advertisements in newspapers, written confirmation from employment agencies, or other kinds of documentation. Often it is helpful for authorities if the employer submits a brief overview of all candidates with a short explanation of which qualifications for a particular job were lacking. In special cases, the authorities can request an employer to intensify his recruitment efforts.

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...zulassung.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
We wrote down with whom we had interviews, from which countries they were and why we didnīt hire them. That was enough to hire a non-EU person.
Could I ask you in general what explanation did you write when you didnt hire somehow? Like is it only hard skills or you mention aspects such as soft skills and personality etc?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:49
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,036
Groaned at 87 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,568 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Hard skills and soft skills, also something like salary expectancy too high, doesnīt speak the required languages etc etc
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
First: Don't panic.


Second: Yes, it is getting togher for non-EU people to get a permit in CH. It seems particularly tough in Cantons with a lot of foreigners already. Another factor seems to be your employer - really small businesses seem to get their applications through and some large famous companies as yours seem to have a "close working relationship" with the migration office - the large banks in Zurich or the Pharmas in Basel seem to be offered what they want from their Cantons. It's the medium sized companies that seem to struggle to get the people they are looking for...
Thanks for the insight Treverus!

Which cantons do you assume have large number of foreigners?

Quote:
View Post
Hard skills and soft skills, also something like salary expectancy too high, doesnīt speak the required languages etc etc
I see! Do employers follow a particular template or just type it down as they deem necessary?

Last edited by 3Wishes; 14.07.2016 at 21:13. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 13.07.2016, 14:56
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,289
Groaned at 107 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 14,201 Times in 5,021 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

If a company likes a particular candidate enough, it's pretty easy to make their requirements so specific as to pretty much exclude anyone else.

My first job in CH, it was pretty easy, there weren't that many (if any) suitably trained and experienced cytogeneticist in the country at the time. Our entire lab was non-Swiss, but there were only 5 of us.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 13.07.2016, 15:03
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,268
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,462 Times in 6,017 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the insight Treverus!

Which cantons do you assume have large number of foreigners?
Zurich, Geneva and yes, Basel. Basically the cities which is not too surprising...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 13.07.2016, 15:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
If a company likes a particular candidate enough, it's pretty easy to make their requirements so specific as to pretty much exclude anyone else.

My first job in CH, it was pretty easy, there weren't that many (if any) suitably trained and experienced cytogeneticist in the country at the time. Our entire lab was non-Swiss, but there were only 5 of us.
Ya well as the hired me, I assume they like me.

I am in IT and there's plenty around. Cytogeneticist is quite rare and rightly so, it was easy for you!

Quote:
View Post
Zurich, Geneva and yes, Basel. Basically the cities which is not too surprising...
Ya thought so. Do you think the recruitment steps taken by these large firms usually fill the blanks and convince the Migration Office? (say the one in my case)

Last edited by 3Wishes; 14.07.2016 at 21:15. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 13.07.2016, 15:38
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,268
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,462 Times in 6,017 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
Ya thought so. Do you think the recruitment steps taken by these large firms usually fill the blanks and convince the Migration Office? (say the one in my case)
No idea. But I'd expect Roche and Novartis to get whatever the heck they want from the Canton, so you don't need to worry too much. They are the largest employers and the public service is more than aware of the fact...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 14.07.2016, 14:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 622
Groaned at 98 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 217 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
Hello guys,

This question has been in my head for quite a while. I wanted to know your opinion on this, from those who have inside knowledge or simply know about it.

A small background on me -

Non-EU (from Asia), recent graduate, offered position in a graduate program.
Company - One of the largest pharma in Basel. Work permit application is currently in process.

Now I had to go through a very strong selection process (screening, online test, interviews, assessment center). They had like 300+ candidates initially.
The final Assessment Center was conducted along with a partner organization specializing in conducting and managing these assessment centers. So the final candidates had to face a variety of assessors, assessing on different criteria. Finally, they offered the positions to less then 5 candidates (I am the only non-EU).

Now I understand that my case would fall under quotas and hence, the employer have to prove that basically me > Swiss/EU. So how would one do that?

Any ideas or thoughts, based on my case?

Thanks a ton!
It is not a problem for big companies, they have specialized people assisting them on this issue.

I know many non-EU working in CH in companies such as Google and Glencore that didn't have any hassle to get employed. One way that the companies can get away with it is simply by stating the languages required. There are very few Swiss and Europeans who can speak Mandarin or Chinese, for instance.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capo for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 14.07.2016, 17:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
It is not a problem for big companies, they have specialized people assisting them on this issue.

I know many non-EU working in CH in companies such as Google and Glencore that didn't have any hassle to get employed. One way that the companies can get away with it is simply by stating the languages required. There are very few Swiss and Europeans who can speak Mandarin or Chinese, for instance.
That's interesting. The HR lady that applied for me didnt really tell me much. Just asked for my documents and I submitted them and she said she will keep me posted. Probably been around 2 weeks, didnt hear back anything from her.

I dont speak Chinese or Mandarin, but well I do speak 2 Asian languages (not that common like Chinese/Mandarin) that I am pretty sure no one speaks in CH. Not sure if that works in my favour.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 14.07.2016, 18:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 622
Groaned at 98 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 397 Times in 217 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
That's interesting. The HR lady that applied for me didnt really tell me much. Just asked for my documents and I submitted them and she said she will keep me posted. Probably been around 2 weeks, didnt hear back anything from her.

I dont speak Chinese or Mandarin, but well I do speak 2 Asian languages (not that common like Chinese/Mandarin) that I am pretty sure no one speaks in CH. Not sure if that works in my favour.
I think you are over thinking about the situation. No employer would brought you until this stage if they were not 99% they can get you a visa. So just wait and enjoy later.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Capo for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 15.07.2016, 06:38
Corbets's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zug, CH
Posts: 2,834
Groaned at 155 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 5,374 Times in 1,836 Posts
Corbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond reputeCorbets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
That's interesting. The HR lady that applied for me didnt really tell me much. Just asked for my documents and I submitted them and she said she will keep me posted. Probably been around 2 weeks, didnt hear back anything from her.

I dont speak Chinese or Mandarin, but well I do speak 2 Asian languages (not that common like Chinese/Mandarin) that I am pretty sure no one speaks in CH. Not sure if that works in my favour.
In my experience, the process has been taking longer and longer. The most recent foreign hire took 2-3 months of working with HR and the cantonal authorities. So be patient.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Corbets for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 15.07.2016, 18:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Somewhere around
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewToHere has no particular reputation at present
Re: How do you prove no Swiss/EU exist to do a job?

Quote:
View Post
In my experience, the process has been taking longer and longer. The most recent foreign hire took 2-3 months of working with HR and the cantonal authorities. So be patient.
My join date is first week of September. Ideally it would be nice to have the decision before that, so that I can prepare for the relocation. Do Migration Board usually consider the starting date in the contract?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you know how many zone tickets do you need? rgc Travel/day trips/free time 7 24.08.2015 10:31
How do I prove to the Swiss authorities that my Swiss wife has NOT been living in CH migangae Family matters/health 23 30.03.2013 17:28
How do Swiss traffic fines work and how do you argue it? Tonino Transportation/driving 22 17.01.2013 11:50
What do you do when you arrive a little early for a job interview? justswiss Employment 37 20.09.2012 23:13
What would you do if you could prove a major company had supplied your details..... marko167 Complaints corner 16 23.04.2008 21:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0