Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.07.2016, 20:28
PBN PBN is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA, SC
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PBN has no particular reputation at present
Having trouble searching...

So, I've been through many of the links provided here and searched through the job availabilities in the list of english speaking companies that have been piled up. The problem I'm lacking is that many of them are very specific in requirements, and sadly I don't meet any of them.

I mean to say, is that I don't particularly have any specific job skills yet that these big companies are working for, and I can't find anywhere to search for basic jobs that anyone can do, whether that be anything from construction work, a factory job, or something small within a company. Does anyone have any other sources for such work?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.07.2016, 20:30
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,788
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,054 Times in 923 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
So, I've been through many of the links provided here and searched through the job availabilities in the list of english speaking companies that have been piled up. The problem I'm lacking is that many of them are very specific in requirements, and sadly I don't meet any of them.

I mean to say, is that I don't particularly have any specific job skills yet that these big companies are working for, and I can't find anywhere to search for basic jobs that anyone can do, whether that be anything from construction work, a factory job, or something small within a company. Does anyone have any other sources for such work?
Yes, this one is brilliant for someone of your profile:

www.google.com

Or reading from your multiple other questions and answers provided to you on almost all aspects of living here, I have to ask - why on Earth is your Swiss partner not able to answer any of these questions for you? Why do you instead have to turn for free advice and effort here?

Sorry, had to ask.

Last edited by ZuriRollt; 13.07.2016 at 20:41.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13.07.2016, 20:46
PBN PBN is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA, SC
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PBN has no particular reputation at present
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
Yes, this one is brilliant for someone of your profile:

www.google.com

Or reading from your multiple other questions and answers provided to you on almost all aspects of living here, I have to ask - why on Earth is your Swiss partner not able to answer any of these questions for you? Why do you instead have to turn for free advice and effort here?

Sorry, had to ask.
He is currently searching for me as well through the connections he has without any luck so far. I asked him about any possible places he knew of for english speakers in basic jobs, but he doesn't know himself short of searching there in person.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PBN for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.07.2016, 20:54
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,788
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,054 Times in 923 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
He is currently searching for me as well through the connections he has without any luck so far. I asked him about any possible places he knew of for english speakers in basic jobs, but he doesn't know himself short of searching there in person.
If I were you, I'd expect him to put much more effort into establishing and building your partnership here if he's wanting to make a life together in his home country. Or will he be expecting EF to choose your first sofa too?

There is so much info. available out there on the net, especially to a native Swiss (no language barriers). Also a lot of social groups he could join if he's missing the info. Meetup.com com has some successful groups for example.

Apologies, but I just feel that he's not putting the right amount of effort in as you should expect.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.07.2016, 21:00
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,480
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,617 Times in 5,494 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

English speaking only jobs tend to be the higher level ones, not your shop assistants, waiting staff, labourers, etc. Yes, English can be a useful "extra" for those positions, but you usually need some knowledge of a Swiss language as well to understand instructions and what your work colleagues are telling you.

I don't know if this thread may have some possibilities for you:

where to look for jobs with no job qualifications

Frankly I'd put learning the language before trying to find a job. It can only improve your chances of finding employment here, especially if you don't have other skills to offer employers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 13.07.2016, 21:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,466
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,227 Times in 823 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
English speaking only jobs tend to be the higher level ones, not your shop assistants, waiting staff, labourers, etc. Yes, English can be a useful "extra" for those positions, but you usually need some knowledge of a Swiss language as well to understand instructions and what your work colleagues are telling you.

I don't know if this thread may have some possibilities for you:

where to look for jobs with no job qualifications

Frankly I'd put learning the language before trying to find a job. It can only improve your chances of finding employment here, especially if you don't have other skills to offer employers.
I agree. Put your effort into learning the local language.
On this forum, if you search "learn German" you will find a number of threads with tips, for example this one (which is a bit mixed about Swiss German and High German, but you'll get the idea): What is the fastest way to learn Swiss German?

Besides the excellent thread to which Medea Fleecestealer linked, you might also find this thread interesting: Can expats be happy?. It is not about finding work per se, but explains, from many different perspectives, some of the factors which can help to feel content having immigrated.

Whichever way one looks at it, immigrating and settling in are hard work. Finding employment is one part of it.

To find work, yes, keep reading, keep learning, keep asking.
Make contacts and put in the effort of building and maintaining relationships with all the[Swiss] people to whom your partner can introduce you. After all, many things in this small country work by word of mouth. As soon as folk see you're making a huge effort, they will want to help you more and more.

I think you'll find that the more specific your questions are, (be they addressed to your partner's family, or here in this forum or elsewhere) , the higher quality answers you are likely to receive.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 13.07.2016, 22:27
PBN PBN is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA, SC
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PBN has no particular reputation at present
Re: Having trouble searching...

Ja, ich weiss. Mein Deutsch ist nicht das beste, aber ich verstehe, wie es funktioniert. Ich brauche nur mehr Wortschatz.

I've still got quite a ways to go... I've gotten a grasp of the language and how it works, but my vocabulary is very small still. I'm using rosetta stone and a few free programs online, as well as a set of books from a college level class I was given. I mean, I did screw up big time... I spent quite a lot of time without giving thought to the language during my time with my partner, but I'm trying, and learning something new each day.

Thanks for the links everyone; I'm reading through them now and finding some new ideas to search for. Also wish I'd known of meetup.com sooner, already found a couple of groups that look interesting.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PBN for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 13.07.2016, 22:32
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,973
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,214 Times in 2,905 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
Ja, ich weiss. Mein Deutsch ist nicht das beste, aber ich verstehe, wie es funktioniert. Ich brauche nur mehr Wortschatz.

I've still got quite a ways to go... I've gotten a grasp of the language and how it works, but my vocabulary is very small still. I'm using rosetta stone and a few free programs online, as well as a set of books from a college level class I was given. I mean, I did screw up big time... I spent quite a lot of time without giving thought to the language during my time with my partner, but I'm trying, and learning something new each day.

Thanks for the links everyone; I'm reading through them now and finding some new ideas to search for. Also wish I'd known of meetup.com sooner, already found a couple of groups that look interesting.
It isn't possible to stress enough just how important German is, not just to get a job, but also for your long term happiness.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 13.07.2016, 22:38
PBN PBN is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA, SC
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PBN has no particular reputation at present
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
It isn't possible to stress enough just how important German is, not just to get a job, but also for your long term happiness.
I just wish I had started learning sooner! I'm actually loving the language, I've found quite a few bands that I always listen to on the radio that have helped me quite a bit. I'm finding learning a song and its translation have helped me more than anything... but I've always loved music.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.07.2016, 22:39
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,480
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,617 Times in 5,494 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Yes, even if you do manage to find an English speaking only job, day to day stuff is going to be in German. You've made a start and that good, but maybe once you get here consider doing an intensive or semi-intensive language course. And of course get your partner to help you to by talking to you only in German.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 13.07.2016, 22:41
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,973
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,214 Times in 2,905 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
I just wish I had started learning sooner! I'm actually loving the language, I've found quite a few bands that I always listen to on the radio that have helped me quite a bit. I'm finding learning a song and its translation have helped me more than anything... but I've always loved music.
Read books that you already know from English. Easy way to improve your vocabulary (unless you only read absolute rubbish).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13.07.2016, 22:51
PBN PBN is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA, SC
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PBN has no particular reputation at present
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
Yes, even if you do manage to find an English speaking only job, day to day stuff is going to be in German. You've made a start and that good, but maybe once you get here consider doing an intensive or semi-intensive language course. And of course get your partner to help you to by talking to you only in German.
This is something we do need to work on more; I did just spend 3 months in the country and during that time I learned a lot just from spending time with step family there.

Quote:
View Post
Read books that you already know from English. Easy way to improve your vocabulary (unless you only read absolute rubbish).
I actually just purchased a few Terry Pratchett books to take a go at! Just waiting on them to get here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PBN for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 13.07.2016, 23:07
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,788
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,054 Times in 923 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
Ja, ich weiss. Mein Deutsch ist nicht das beste, aber ich verstehe, wie es funktioniert. Ich brauche nur mehr Wortschatz.

... Also wish I'd known of meetup.com sooner, already found a couple of groups that look interesting.
Well, that pretty much exceeds my German skills ;-).

I also believe that there are some interesting / fun groups out there on meetup.com to make contacts that might interest you both. Wish it had existed back then when I was in your shoes ;-).

Good luck. I know I complained at first - but now I see that you're really giving this a genuine & heartfelt go and above all, wanting to stand on your own two-feet, independently from your partner. Would still from experience expect more from him in your research, as you're the one in the position of being new to trying to move here.

I wish you all the best, and really hope that you'll come back to EF now that you've some well-informed stuff to go on ...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 13.07.2016, 23:19
curley's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 589
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 606 Times in 342 Posts
curley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputation
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
Well, that pretty much exceeds my German skills ;-).

I also believe that there are some interesting / fun groups out there on meetup.com to make contacts that might interest you both. Wish it had existed back then when I was in your shoes ;-).

Good luck. I know I complained at first - but now I see that you're really giving this a genuine & heartfelt go and above all, wanting to stand on your own two-feet, independently from your partner. Would still from experience expect more from him in your research, as you're the one in the position of being new to trying to move here.

I wish you all the best, and really hope that you'll come back to EF now that you've some well-informed stuff to go on ...
hmmm, yeah, shocked even me a little, thought you were still on this trip
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13.07.2016, 23:29
PBN PBN is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: USA, SC
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PBN has no particular reputation at present
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
Well, that pretty much exceeds my German skills ;-).

I also believe that there are some interesting / fun groups out there on meetup.com to make contacts that might interest you both. Wish it had existed back then when I was in your shoes ;-).

Good luck. I know I complained at first - but now I see that you're really giving this a genuine & heartfelt go and above all, wanting to stand on your own two-feet, independently from your partner. Would still from experience expect more from him in your research, as you're the one in the position of being new to trying to move here.

I wish you all the best, and really hope that you'll come back to EF now that you've some well-informed stuff to go on ...
Didn't mean to come off as complaining or anything, was more just curious if anyone knew of anything more specific off the top of their head for workers without any dedicated skills. I'd been searching through the employment section and going through various website links with no luck so far other than "senior" this or "executive" that!

I really do want to make this happen, and I don't want to have to rely on my partner. During my trip earlier this year I spent three months in Thurgau, in a small town called Steckborn. Small, quaint place on the edge of the Untersee. I did most of our shopping, got to know a few of the local clerks as well. I don't mean to play down my partner's involvement or anything, he is doing his own research and also has been putting out word for me in a few places.

Thanks, and I plan on doing a lot of reading here so far! But most of it has been in inactive threads that are still linked for info, I haven't been in many active threads yet >.<
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PBN for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 13.07.2016, 23:46
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,788
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,054 Times in 923 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Having trouble searching...

Quote:
View Post
hmmm, yeah, shocked even me a little, thought you were still on this trip
Yes, thank you for that - would have liked to have included this link into my last post as well (if I knew how). I put the OP into to a 'lazy poster' category due to recent other non-connected posts, which I now believe was a mistake. I have released a public apology in the meantime - apologies, was too tired to figure out how to make a link to another thread, it's been a hard day at work:

having-trouble-searching-screen-shot-2016-07-13-20.01.35.jpg

I took the time to read each of the OPs last posts since returning from the office, now have a better understanding and have responded in a way which will hopefully provide informed input!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone else having trouble getting online statements from BCV? Vlh22 Finance/banking/taxation 0 21.06.2014 17:27
The difference between having 2 kids and having 3 kids... or 3 & 4. Rangatiranui Family matters/health 21 12.04.2014 20:45
trouble brewing slammer International affairs/politics 31 30.07.2011 16:44
Anyone having trouble with Cablecom? nadinebreen TV/internet/telephone 20 24.06.2010 09:06
Having permit trouble and have questions eberhael Permits/visas/government 8 15.08.2008 18:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0