Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 01.12.2016, 13:10
Aeneas's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Winterthur, ZH
Posts: 953
Groaned at 37 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 959 Times in 459 Posts
Aeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond reputeAeneas has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Even if you don't 'hate' your current job, a 10% salary increase at a much better company that you know you would be better benefits or conditions, or would lead to better opportunities later down the line, can be well worth it.
Yes, I'd agree - what I was trying to convey is that all other things being either equal or not having changed too much, then it might not be worthwhile to move without financial incentive. I was probably thinking too narrowly - yes there are numerous factors to take into account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Aeneas for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 01.12.2016, 14:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 30 Posts
Dandy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Exactly. Aside from personal aspects - location for example - there's all types of benefits and perks, be it a company restaurant or a gym for cheap, a better pension fund, fewer weekly working hours, an on-site childcare facility and so on. Then there's company size, development opportunities or lack thereof, depending on the seniority of the job of course also long-term strategy of the company or whatever may be relevant, not to mention manager or team members.

Salary is one factor, but in no way the only one.


You forgot to mention: Some people's dream is having slides to the canteen....
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 01.12.2016, 14:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The World
Posts: 627
Groaned at 98 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 399 Times in 218 Posts
Capo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthyCapo is considered unworthy
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
For a comparable life style in Italy, take your current salary and times by 3.

This will give you a rough benchmark if your new proposed salary is good or not.

I am going to bring out my pizza example again...

Tonight... my wife and I will be ordering 2 pizzas from the local pizza place, one pizza normal size will cost 20 francs. They will take 2 francs off cos I don't want peppers on mine.
Very poor comparison. . There are things in CH that are cheaper than in Italy: electronics, utilities, fuel, etc. and other things that are just slightly more expensive. And pizza is probably the most produced thing in Italy so it's cheap as chips.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Capo for this useful post:
  #84  
Old 01.12.2016, 14:29
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 59 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,372 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
You forgot to mention: Some people's dream is having slides to the canteen....
Indeed - yay!

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #85  
Old 01.12.2016, 14:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 30 Posts
Dandy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed - yay!

yay ! working togehter with this attractive lady is certainly an incentive !
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 01.12.2016, 15:38
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,098
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 955 Times in 476 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Very poor comparison. . There are things in CH that are cheaper than in Italy: electronics, utilities, fuel, etc. and other things that are just slightly more expensive. And pizza is probably the most produced thing in Italy so it's cheap as chips.
Likewise taxes
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #87  
Old 01.12.2016, 15:46
starmir's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kanton Zurich
Posts: 227
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 189 Times in 90 Posts
starmir has slipped a little
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Very poor comparison. . There are things in CH that are cheaper than in Italy: electronics, utilities, fuel, etc. and other things that are just slightly more expensive. And pizza is probably the most produced thing in Italy so it's cheap as chips.
Caspita... but you're still gonna want pizza, no?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank starmir for this useful post:
  #88  
Old 01.12.2016, 16:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 30 Posts
Dandy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

To cut a long story short, 68K gross is a decent salary in Zurich if...


- you are aged between 20-28
- and you have less than 5 years experience
- and you have medium level education, e.g. Bachelor or trained craftsman
- and you do not need to support anybody else.
- and you are used to a normal modest lifestyle
- and you are willing to live in a small apartment in the suburbs, or share a bigger apartment with other mates.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Dandy for this useful post:
  #89  
Old 01.12.2016, 17:06
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 30 Posts
Dandy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

... I forgot for those who are interesed about salaries in Zurich, this article:


http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/...story/17280375


... might be of interest. Median monthly salaries for people with university degree is 10'396 CHF !


(its in german so you can practice your german language skills )
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dandy for this useful post:
  #90  
Old 01.12.2016, 17:17
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 59 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,372 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Well there's the reality check...

And that is if calculated across the board, including those with 25+ years of experience, including every profession, and - likely - including those highly paid execs.

"With a university degree" is also a highly, well, let's call it fluid criterion.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #91  
Old 01.12.2016, 17:20
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,098
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 955 Times in 476 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
... I forgot for those who are interesed about salaries in Zurich, this article:


http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/...story/17280375


... might be of interest. Median monthly salaries for people with university degree is 10'396 CHF !


(its in german so you can practice your german language skills )
To be useful it needs an age/experience breakdown too. 25 yo with a fresh masters is going to be earning less than someone with a masters and 25 years experience (assuming same industry)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #92  
Old 01.12.2016, 22:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 79
Groaned at 10 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 30 Posts
Dandy has made some interesting contributions
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
To be useful it needs an age/experience breakdown too. 25 yo with a fresh masters is going to be earning less than someone with a masters and 25 years experience (assuming same industry)
Yes, someone right out of university might earn something between 70k-100k/year. But the number of 10'396 is the median not the average, so this means 50% earn 10'396 or more and 50% earn 10'396 or less. Also in Switzerland it depends on the name of the university if you will earn big money or less later on. Read this article about the salary ranking of european universities:
http://www.finews.ch/themen/high-end...rsitaeten-lohn

University of St. Gallen is top in this respect, but it has also a reputation of being an universitiy for the brats of the filthy rich, many coming from southern germany.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dandy for this useful post:
  #93  
Old 01.12.2016, 23:07
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,759
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,997 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed - yay!

Is that really you Samaire, i must give you more green things....
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 01.12.2016, 23:12
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,098
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 955 Times in 476 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, someone right out of university might earn something between 70k-100k/year. But the number of 10'396 is the median not the average, so this means 50% earn 10'396 or more and 50% earn 10'396 or less. Also in Switzerland it depends on the name of the university if you will earn big money or less later on. Read this article about the salary ranking of european universities:
http://www.finews.ch/themen/high-end...rsitaeten-lohn

University of St. Gallen is top in this respect, but it has also a reputation of being an universitiy for the brats of the filthy rich, many coming from southern germany.
Thanks for the primary school level statistics lesson. Incidentally, you mean 'mean' not average. The mean, median and mode are all averages.

Regardless which flavour of average you take, you still need to understand the population for it to mean anything.

I'd love to know where those St. Gallen graduates (of which I am one btw - although neither brat, filthy rich nor German) are earning on average - take your pick which one - CHF 200k with 5-10 years experience. At 5 years, I would expect that to be the top end some could be earning in banking and very few beyond. At 10 years maybe 25% of them. I'd expect similar at the strategy consultants and less at other consultancies. Pharma, no idea.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01.12.2016, 23:40
drkarthiks's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 452
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 311 Times in 184 Posts
drkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the primary school level statistics lesson. Incidentally, you mean 'mean' not average. The mean, median and mode are all averages.
Actually, no. Mean is average. Median is not an average, it is rather the number in the middle which is what Dandy means by 50% above and 50% below. Mode is the number occurring the most in that set of numbers, so nothing to do with average.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at drkarthiks for this post:
  #96  
Old 01.12.2016, 23:50
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 2,358
Groaned at 59 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,372 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Is that really you Samaire, i must give you more green things....
It's not. I'm of course even better-looking Kidding.

Quote:
I'd love to know where those St. Gallen graduates (of which I am one btw - although neither brat, filthy rich nor German) are earning on average - take your pick which one - CHF 200k with 5-10 years experience. At 5 years, I would expect that to be the top end some could be earning in banking and very few beyond. At 10 years maybe 25% of them. I'd expect similar at the strategy consultants and less at other consultancies. Pharma, no idea.
I'd love to know that too... I'm definitely at the upper end salary-wise among my friends from school and uni (mostly Masters grads in law or business admin, working across a number of industries). All with comparable number of years of experience, I have a bit more (I graduated earlier). But I'm nowhere near 200k. OK I don't work in the most lucrative field, so there's that.

Consulting still pays insane money, if you're willing to sell your soul of course and have no life anymore

Pharma - depends. On the commercial side you will reach 200k total comp relatively quickly - if you bring a scientific background and some fancy-schmancy 150k-MBA and maybe 8+ years of relevant experience. On the other end of that are scientists who, despite having a PhD and PostDoc and 10, 15 years of experience, earn about half that.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #97  
Old 02.12.2016, 00:00
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,098
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 955 Times in 476 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Actually, no. Mean is average. Median is not an average, it is rather the number in the middle which is what Dandy means by 50% above and 50% below. Mode is the number occurring the most in that set of numbers, so nothing to do with average.
http://www.dummies.com/education/mat...mode-and-mean/

Most appropriate URL ever
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #98  
Old 02.12.2016, 00:06
drkarthiks's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 452
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 311 Times in 184 Posts
drkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeabledrkarthiks is considered knowledgeable
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Fair enough, I was going with the most colloquially accepted form of average. I should have clarified that when I wrote my answer above.

PS - You could have easily given me this answer without the groan or the snarkiness

Edit - Purdue OWL tells us the same thing - "The mean is the most common form of central tendency, and is what most people usually are referring to when the say average." and "When writing statistics, you never want to say 'average' because it is difficult, if not impossible, for your reader to understand if you are referring to the mean, the median, or the mode.".

Last edited by drkarthiks; 02.12.2016 at 00:14. Reason: Added the Purdue link on statistics
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank drkarthiks for this useful post:
  #99  
Old 02.12.2016, 00:19
Leoo's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 95
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Leoo has earned some respectLeoo has earned some respect
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

If you are single than definitely you can manage.
C'mon! What can you loose? If it took you long time to search, as you wrote, I guess you really want to come. Take it as an experience. Maybe it will work maybe not but you would not regret even if you decide to go back after a year or so.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 02.12.2016, 00:31
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 1,098
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 955 Times in 476 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is 68k yearly gross a decent salary in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
Fair enough, I was going with the most colloquially accepted form of average. I should have clarified that when I wrote my answer above.

PS - You could have easily given me this answer without the groan or the snarkiness

Edit - Purdue OWL tells us the same thing - "The mean is the most common form of central tendency, and is what most people usually are referring to when the say average." and "When writing statistics, you never want to say 'average' because it is difficult, if not impossible, for your reader to understand if you are referring to the mean, the median, or the mode.".
The groan was for telling me I was wrong and then pretty much repeating word for word what Dandy had said. The snarkiness - well if you wade in regarding primary school maths and get it wrong, you're going to get a bit of a ribbing. No offence intended.

And thanks was for being a good sport and adding a further link

Fwiw I know what the colloquial usage is, but Dandy wants to make a thing about the mean and median, when it's irrelevant, he/she should at least get his/her terminology correct.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
contract, job, salary, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3000net-how much is the gross salary? martonhajnal Daily life 27 17.01.2014 21:07
which salary expectations and gross/net salary? (Zurich, art field, gallery manager) latos Employment 2 06.06.2013 18:47
Is a 78,000 CHF gross salary enough to live in Lugano? SamM Employment 66 29.05.2013 21:02
Is a yearly 55000 swiss franc salary good enough? Hayab Daily life 35 29.09.2012 18:47
Have a look at my package: Is this a decent salary for? Zurich FlyingDutchMan Employment 135 19.11.2011 15:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0