Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.07.2010, 15:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Central Schweiz
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
freakylittlefish has no particular reputation at present
Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Hi there

I hope someone out there have some experience in the matter of claiming unemployment benefit up until leaving Switzerland.

I dont have a new job lined up in the other country and will be living of my partners income for the first few months.

Does RAV require anything from me? and at what point should I let the RAV know that I am leaving the country? (We only recently got to know that we are leaving Switzerland due to my boyfriends job)

Has anyone been through this scenario? Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.07.2010, 00:12
chiarina's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zürichsee
Posts: 85
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
chiarina has no particular reputation at present
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

You are entitled to get benefits as long as you stay in Switzerland.

However with some countries (I think EU only) there is an agreement and the RAV can continue to pay for your job search up to three months in the new country.

So it is worth that you give a try and go to discuss about this with your RAV counselor telling him you are planning to go for a job search in country yz.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.07.2010, 00:33
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 1,973
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 548 Times in 348 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

My partner did this 7 years ago in the UK, basically you could go to any EU country in search of work and draw your Swiss unemployment benefit there. From memory you could do it for just under three months and at the end of this period you have to decide whether you stay in the country or return to Switzerland. If you go local, ie stay in the EU country, you then go onto the local rate after the three months are up.

You have (had) to be unemployed for one month, before going abroad. I am sure the rules haven't changed much. Which country are you thinking of going too?

I remember that the Job Centre were staggered in the UK at the amount my partner received!! It was pretty easy to set up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07.07.2010, 00:51
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,337 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
My partner did this 7 years ago in the UK, basically you could go to any EU country in search of work and draw your Swiss unemployment benefit there. From memory you could do it for just under three months and at the end of this period you have to decide whether you stay in the country or return to Switzerland. If you go local, ie stay in the EU country, you then go onto the local rate after the three months are up.

You have (had) to be unemployed for one month, before going abroad. I am sure the rules haven't changed much. Which country are you thinking of going too?

I remember that the Job Centre were staggered in the UK at the amount my partner received!!
This is still current. I brought my Swiss unemployment to the UK and it lasted for three months. And the Job Centre were telling me how stunned they were at a Belgian they had in the office that was getting £200 a week...I just kept my mouth shut as to how much my 70% of my final salary was and what I'd be receiving.

As long as you're going to an EU country, you can take your unemployment with you (provided you meet the criteria such as 1 month of unemployment in Switzerland, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.11.2011, 16:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
sparksleo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Has anyone had experience with leaving Switzerland and currently receiving unemployment benefits and not going to a non EU country.

When should you inform the RAV?
Do you still get paid up to the date you leave although you have left in the previous month?
Any other thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Most of the threads discusses moving to a EU country where you can take your unemployment benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 24.11.2011, 17:58
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,853
Groaned at 86 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,399 Times in 3,733 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone had experience with leaving Switzerland and currently receiving unemployment benefits and not going to a non EU country.

When should you inform the RAV?
Do you still get paid up to the date you leave although you have left in the previous month?
Any other thoughts or advice would be welcome.

Most of the threads discusses moving to a EU country where you can take your unemployment benefits.
You get paid up to the day you deregister. Yes. You should inform RAV. Tell them you are deregistering on x date.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.11.2011, 01:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
sparksleo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Thanks MiniMia
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.02.2014, 22:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La Chaux-de-Fonds
Posts: 96
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Metallising has earned some respectMetallising has earned some respect
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
My partner did this 7 years ago in the UK, basically you could go to any EU country in search of work and draw your Swiss unemployment benefit there. From memory you could do it for just under three months and at the end of this period you have to decide whether you stay in the country or return to Switzerland. If you go local, ie stay in the EU country, you then go onto the local rate after the three months are up.

You have (had) to be unemployed for one month, before going abroad. I am sure the rules haven't changed much. Which country are you thinking of going too?

I remember that the Job Centre were staggered in the UK at the amount my partner received!! It was pretty easy to set up.
I know this topic is old but I'm currently going through the same situation, so why not give it some use.

I would like to know if what was previously stated this still valid?

Why is that necessary to stay unemployed for one month before going abroad? Is that required to meet the RAV counselor or look for jobs in Switzerland during that time?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 24.02.2014, 11:52
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 1,973
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 548 Times in 348 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Firstly you have to look for a job in Switzerland, if after one month you cannot find a job here then you can look throughout the EU, intiated by the RAV, but after 80 days or something you need to decide either to come back to Switzerland or continue looking locally at which point the support from Switzerland will stop and you will have to deregister from Switzerland at this point.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank telandy for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 24.02.2014, 13:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La Chaux-de-Fonds
Posts: 96
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Metallising has earned some respectMetallising has earned some respect
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

I quit my job so I can go back to my country, the last thing I want is another job in Switzerland.
So, if my plan is to deregister and never come back I won't receive unemployment benefits. However, if I pretend I'm not sure yet and don't deregister I will have access to unemployment benefits. Cool.

Today I went to the "office du chômage" to know more about the process. They were confused, I will have to wait for an answer since they need to check first.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.02.2014, 15:00
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,173 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I quit my job so I can go back to my country, the last thing I want is another job in Switzerland.
So, if my plan is to deregister and never come back I won't receive unemployment benefits. However, if I pretend I'm not sure yet and don't deregister I will have access to unemployment benefits. Cool.

Today I went to the "office du chômage" to know more about the process. They were confused, I will have to wait for an answer since they need to check first.
I think there's a 1-month waiting period before receiving benefits, regardless of whether you stay here or not. I also think if you de-register and leave, you'd then get the payments back home, in that currency and possibly not at the same rate.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.02.2014, 17:40
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,337 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I quit my job so I can go back to my country, the last thing I want is another job in Switzerland.
So, if my plan is to deregister and never come back I won't receive unemployment benefits. However, if I pretend I'm not sure yet and don't deregister I will have access to unemployment benefits. Cool.

Today I went to the "office du chômage" to know more about the process. They were confused, I will have to wait for an answer since they need to check first.
In order to receive your three months of Swiss unemployment in your home (assuming you are EU) country, you'll need to collect one month of unemployment in Switzerland, and then - after a month - you should arrange for the transfer of your unemployment to your EU country. You'll receive three months of Swiss unemployment in an EU country, and then switch to theirs. That's assuming that the laws haven't changed!

ETA:

I just realised you said quit your job. If you quit, you won't be entitled to anything in Switzerland for a waiting period (it used to be 3 months, it may now be longer...).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank evilshell for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.02.2014, 17:49
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,173 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
...I just realised you said quit your job. If you quit, you won't be entitled to anything in Switzerland for a waiting period (it used to be 3 months, it may now be longer...).
Good catch! A friend of mine just quit her job in January. The waiting period for benefits is still 3 months (Kanton Bern, anyway).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 25.02.2014, 09:58
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La Chaux-de-Fonds
Posts: 96
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Metallising has earned some respectMetallising has earned some respect
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Thanks for your answers.

Quote:
View Post
I just realised you said quit your job. If you quit, you won't be entitled to anything in Switzerland for a waiting period (it used to be 3 months, it may now be longer...).
After the waiting period, having in mind I quit and I will have my permit canceled, will I receive unemployment benefits at Swiss rates or at my country's rate?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Metallising for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 25.02.2014, 10:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,349
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,877 Times in 1,545 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your answers.



After the waiting period, having in mind I quit and I will have my permit canceled, will I receive unemployment benefits at Swiss rates or at my country's rate?
If you don't have a permit you can't claim unemployment benefits let alone live in the country.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank porsch1909 for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 25.02.2014, 10:42
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SZ
Posts: 9,274
Groaned at 215 Times in 178 Posts
Thanked 16,487 Times in 6,020 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I quit my job so I can go back to my country, the last thing I want is another job in Switzerland.
So, if my plan is to deregister and never come back I won't receive unemployment benefits. However, if I pretend I'm not sure yet and don't deregister I will have access to unemployment benefits. Cool.

Today I went to the "office du chômage" to know more about the process. They were confused, I will have to wait for an answer since they need to check first.


So just to get this right: You had a job, decided to quit it, decided to leave the country... but for some reason do you believe the Swiss workers paying their monthly insurance contributions should pay you to do so?


I don't think it's morally right to help you with that plan and you will find out about the checks in place yourself. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
This user groans at Treverus for this post:
  #17  
Old 25.02.2014, 10:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,421
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,742 Times in 719 Posts
simplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond reputesimplon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
So just to get this right: You had a job, decided to quit it, decided to leave the country... but for some reason do you believe the Swiss workers paying their monthly insurance contributions should pay you to do so?


I don't think it's morally right to help you with that plan and you will find out about the checks in place yourself. Good luck.
Be kind with him. He's just trying...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 25.02.2014, 12:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: La Chaux-de-Fonds
Posts: 96
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
Metallising has earned some respectMetallising has earned some respect
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
If you don't have a permit you can't claim unemployment benefits let alone live in the country.
I have a permit B, but once I leave the country it doesn't make sense to me to keep it. If necessary I can keep it until I'm no longer enabled to receive unemployment benefits.

Treverus, if I stayed in Switzerland I would receive one year and half of unemployment benefits, being only penalized in the first month because I quit. Ethics apart, this is how it works.
I don't see what's wrong about receiving unemployment benefits for 3 months while looking for a better job in my home country.

Again, ethics apart, please...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 25.02.2014, 14:00
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,439
Groaned at 178 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 1,551 Times in 765 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned the respect of manyDack Rambo has earned the respect of manyDack Rambo has earned the respect of many
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I have a permit B, but once I leave the country it doesn't make sense to me to keep it. If necessary I can keep it until I'm no longer enabled to receive unemployment benefits.

Treverus, if I stayed in Switzerland I would receive one year and half of unemployment benefits, being only penalized in the first month because I quit. Ethics apart, this is how it works.
I don't see what's wrong about receiving unemployment benefits for 3 months while looking for a better job in my home country.

Again, ethics apart, please...
If you leave Switzerland, won't your B permit be automatically canceled?
Also, the 18 months of unemployment benefit is not automatic. You have to be looking for work and you will be assigned an advisor who will make sure that you are indeed doing this. If the advisor feels your jobsearch is not genuine, then he can recommend that your benefits be stopped.
I was on unemployment benefit here for a few months and can tell you, with the amount of meetings, paperwork, applying for jobs that is required, it's almost the same as having a full time job. Also, your advisor can call you to a meeting with just a days's notice and you must also ask permission from him if you intend to leave your canton of residence.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 29.04.2015, 12:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 18
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
miza9 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Receiving Unemployment Benefits but now leaving Switzerland

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend is working in a sanitär company but we think that the company it will fail/close very soon.
He is working there since last September, so 8 months, 100%.
If he will get fired or if the company closes, does anybody know if he will get any social help?
Thank you
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with unemployment benefits jstraw1029 Employment 10 14.11.2010 13:27
Unemployment Benefits when leaving job in probation period lisa_bsl Permits/visas/government 13 25.03.2010 17:25
Receiving Swiss unemployment in an EU country rrs Employment 2 12.02.2010 18:21
Unemployment benefits if looking for job outside of Switzerland mulcame Employment 1 27.04.2009 15:59
Unemployment benefits as Non EU?? kvrbpl Permits/visas/government 1 27.09.2008 19:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0