Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Entertainment & dining
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.02.2013, 07:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baden
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lilyput has no particular reputation at present
Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Any ladies out there willing to share their wedding experience in kanton Zurich / Luzern ?

I never organized any event for more than 15 people which I am the dj and caterer.

A little advice would be great for a head start.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.02.2013, 08:06
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 222
Groaned at 32 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 181 Times in 90 Posts
stubborn has become a little unpopularstubborn has become a little unpopular
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

For advice, depends on what you want:
- how many people?
- relaxed informal party or chic formal ones?
- what time of year?
- Party after church wedding or after official wedding?
etc...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.02.2013, 08:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baden
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lilyput has no particular reputation at present
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

There will be maximum 100 people in the wedding ( I am trying to reduce the numbers) , relaxed informal party will be held after church wedding , formal wedding make me bored..

Oh the ceremony will be in Spring 2014! Long way to go .. both families are from far and 1 year plan is sufficient.. think so ..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22.02.2013, 09:52
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: across the big pond
Posts: 2,584
Groaned at 88 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 1,525 Times in 743 Posts
Anthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony1406 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

We did the same but non traditional non boring wedding
104 peeps and in my homecountry with guest from all over the world.

Ceremony should be as short as possible. (Almost) Nobody likes the church part (ceremony) Ours was outside in the sun and was great and only 20 min long.
no wedding planner but we let the place we rented take care of most. We gave them our ideas and then they proposed things.(food, flowers for table, and people they usually work with. They will have tons of connections which you should use) They worked with their caterer. We did a buffet BBQ and was perfect. Then open bar all night long (ours was in Belgium so it didnt cost us a fortune...) It is a sh*t load of work for so many people but if you are properly organized you will not have to do a thing on the wedding day besides getting drunk and enjoy yourself

Here is the order of things asap:
1. book room and church 1 year before min.
2. book photographer 1 year in advance also same for dj or band
3. create invites and send 6-4 months in advance if it is an international wedding so travel deals can be booked.
4. The rest all falls into place


I just found out today the post office lost my wedding suit ......that was being send over
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.02.2013, 10:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: la cote
Posts: 2,439
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,730 Times in 1,006 Posts
runningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond reputerunningdeer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

First, I assume you are organising the celebration part, but if doing the civil wedding, make sure you have that all organised and done in advace of the religious or other celebration.

Do or organise something that is meaningful to you as a couple, i.e. is a party your type of thing, an excursion?, a good meal, or somthing else. Then plan around this.

1. get date and papers for the civil wedding
2. organise the religious/celebration part with official and venue by reserving person and place
3. orgainse the party at same place or nearby, think about transport
4. reserve accomodation and other logistics
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.02.2013, 10:28
LeeD's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 653
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 187 Times in 115 Posts
LeeD has earned some respectLeeD has earned some respect
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

I'm not a lady but to offer a quick tip check out www.hof-lanschi.ch it's in Küssnacht am Rigi so close to Luzern and we used it for our wedding. Was an amazing experience, price was unbelievable, typical Swiss farm/feeling with a great view.

Last edited by LeeD; 22.02.2013 at 10:28. Reason: Spelling mistake due to fat finger syndrome
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.02.2013, 15:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baden
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lilyput has no particular reputation at present
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Thanks for your tips! . Organizing an event in Switzerland would not be that cheap.

You are right. I have to start looking for a caterer. I hope the caterer in switzerland have the same connection as you found in Belgium. I would be a lot of work to sort all those decorations and flowers.

I am right on track now. Cross fingers!

Oh I am so sorry to hear about your suit. Hopefully the post can replace your with a similar one.



Quote:
View Post
We did the same but non traditional non boring wedding
104 peeps and in my homecountry with guest from all over the world.

Ceremony should be as short as possible. (Almost) Nobody likes the church part (ceremony) Ours was outside in the sun and was great and only 20 min long.
no wedding planner but we let the place we rented take care of most. We gave them our ideas and then they proposed things.(food, flowers for table, and people they usually work with. They will have tons of connections which you should use) They worked with their caterer. We did a buffet BBQ and was perfect. Then open bar all night long (ours was in Belgium so it didnt cost us a fortune...) It is a sh*t load of work for so many people but if you are properly organized you will not have to do a thing on the wedding day besides getting drunk and enjoy yourself

Here is the order of things asap:
1. book room and church 1 year before min.
2. book photographer 1 year in advance also same for dj or band
3. create invites and send 6-4 months in advance if it is an international wedding so travel deals can be booked.
4. The rest all falls into place


I just found out today the post office lost my wedding suit ......that was being send over
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.02.2013, 16:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baden
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lilyput has no particular reputation at present
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Thanks Runningdeer! The church ceremony will be done in Zurich.We are currently looking for a nearby venue.

I am absolutely looking for a good meal! I am not sure if I can get a good caterer. It has been 3 years I am settled in Switzerland , I could not find any nice Swiss restaurant around except the one in the French part. Most of the food are either taste blend or salty.




Quote:
View Post
First, I assume you are organising the celebration part, but if doing the civil wedding, make sure you have that all organised and done in advace of the religious or other celebration.

Do or organise something that is meaningful to you as a couple, i.e. is a party your type of thing, an excursion?, a good meal, or somthing else. Then plan around this.

1. get date and papers for the civil wedding
2. organise the religious/celebration part with official and venue by reserving person and place
3. orgainse the party at same place or nearby, think about transport
4. reserve accomodation and other logistics
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.02.2013, 16:30
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fulenbach
Posts: 249
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 172 Times in 91 Posts
Pavanne is considered knowledgeablePavanne is considered knowledgeablePavanne is considered knowledgeable
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Don't stress too much, don't let anyone convince you to spend lots of money on things that are not important to the confort of your guests (your dress will be beautiful whatever you spend; nobody cares about seat covers), and delegate everything you can - people love to help.

Also don't get too stressed if it's a week before and your fiance hasn't done anything about a suit yet, he's bound to manage.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.02.2013, 16:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,254
Groaned at 12 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,728 Times in 684 Posts
ceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond reputeceppych has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Yes, don't get married.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ceppych for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 22.02.2013, 17:36
FCBarca's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Côte
Posts: 561
Groaned at 57 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 463 Times in 215 Posts
FCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputationFCBarca has an excellent reputation
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Not a lady but we organized our wedding here in Vaud and chose a vineyard for the ceremony & apéro - was cheaper than a wedding my sister had in Napa. Our dinner, however, was a very un-American like 6 hrs in length - apparently not uncommon for the Suisse
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.02.2013, 17:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baden
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lilyput has no particular reputation at present
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Been to Vaud last year. I could imagine how beautiful the scenery around the vineyard with the background of a mountain. Unfortunately it is too far for us to travel from Zurich to Vaud

6 hours is quite common here. I have been to a wedding in France. We started with the church ceremony at 15.00 then apero followed by dinner (4 course meal) then we dance till 2.00 am!- Some of them stayed up to 4.00. Just need a lot of bozze to keep them awake.

Quote:
View Post
Not a lady but we organized our wedding here in Vaud and chose a vineyard for the ceremony & apéro - was cheaper than a wedding my sister had in Napa. Our dinner, however, was a very un-American like 6 hrs in length - apparently not uncommon for the Suisse
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.02.2013, 21:46
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 211
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
Powerlauer has no particular reputation at present
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Pick up a red guide book, wedding guide - it has all the contacts you need for a wedding, they have it in jelmoli in the area you register the wedding, think their is an app as well! If you need a wedding dress you can pick up a half price Jenny packham or Vera Wang at traumbraut.ch

Congrats and good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.02.2013, 15:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baden
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lilyput has no particular reputation at present
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Thanks Poweelauer. I didn't know Jelmoli have this service. This is very helpful information!

I am looking for a caterer at the moment. Anybody ?


Quote:
View Post
Pick up a red guide book, wedding guide - it has all the contacts you need for a wedding, they have it in jelmoli in the area you register the wedding, think their is an app as well! If you need a wedding dress you can pick up a half price Jenny packham or Vera Wang at traumbraut.ch

Congrats and good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24.02.2013, 18:17
lola07's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 333
Groaned at 28 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 168 Times in 101 Posts
lola07 has earned some respectlola07 has earned some respect
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

As soon as you know the date for sure, send some "reserve the date" to everybody so that you will have more time to send the invit'

I made the church booklets for a friend of mine, it was of course very nice. If you are interested, pm me and I can send it to you to give you some idea...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.03.2013, 20:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baden
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lilyput has no particular reputation at present
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Hi Powerlauer,

I have been to Jelmoli this weekend. Unfortunately they do not have this service anymore (just to let you know)

Quote:
View Post
Pick up a red guide book, wedding guide - it has all the contacts you need for a wedding, they have it in jelmoli in the area you register the wedding, think their is an app as well! If you need a wedding dress you can pick up a half price Jenny packham or Vera Wang at traumbraut.ch

Congrats and good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.03.2013, 20:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 1,097
Groaned at 15 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 921 Times in 519 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Organizing Your Own Wedding. Any tips?

Don't want to rain on your parade.... but in Switzerland you must have a civil ceremony, the church bit is optional. and unlike the UK, for example, it's rare for a church or other venue to be licenced for doing the civil bit as well as the 'social, ceremonial part' of a wedding.
So you need to check if there's a list of places that can do both (if that's what you want) with your local Mairie or town hall. Or decide if you just have the civil part, and arrange a big party elsewhere.
And just to be doubly difficult, they won't usually make bookings for the civil part more than three months in advance, so people often get married and have the church ceremony on two different days!

Last edited by Anjela; 02.03.2013 at 20:59. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wedding, wedding entertainment




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Organizing indoor music concert - any tips or help would be great lordofdarkness Daily life 1 15.02.2013 11:30
Help/tips on how to get started with own business idea gabriella78 Business & entrepreneur 5 25.01.2012 10:35
When your prices kill your own market. Nil Daily life 153 14.03.2011 23:34
organizing a move on your own - what was your timeline like? jetset Family matters/health 9 10.07.2010 18:22
advice and tips needed for a swiss wedding tolalala Family matters/health 13 01.04.2009 09:06


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0