Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.03.2011, 15:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich and Thalwil
Posts: 535
Groaned at 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 156 Posts
Focus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks, I'm doing pretty well. And I agree with a lot of the other posters, and use a variety of non-drug strategies, although sometimes the drugs are necessary. People blame themselves needlessly and view this as a sign of weakness, but it's not.

Anxiety is an interesting thing. It makes people more attentive to their surroundings and at lower levels, increases the tendency to search for information. So we want to keep a little, but debilitating levels are unbearable.
Anxiety and awareness are two fifferent things. Anxiety no matter what level is an energy consumer. It affects the nervous system. Whereas awareness to ones surroundings is a clarity
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09.03.2011, 16:20
transatlantic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 268
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 137 Times in 63 Posts
transatlantic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Anxiety meds?

There can be different kinds of awareness. A clear one, like the one you are talking about, as in "clarity". Or a more frenzied one as in the kind you suffer from when dealing with anxiety. Anxiety makes you acutely aware of the things you are frightened of, are already dealing with, therefore making you frightened, or even turning things that you are around into anxious feelings. There are many different kinds of a lot of feelings, so don't just close it up into one box.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.03.2011, 16:29
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
There can be different kinds of awareness. A clear one, like the one you are talking about, as in "clarity". Or a more frenzied one as in the kind you suffer from when dealing with anxiety. Anxiety makes you acutely aware of the things you are frightened of, are already dealing with, therefore making you frightened, or even turning things that you are around into anxious feelings. There are many different kinds of a lot of feelings, so don't just close it up into one box.
Yep. Totally agree and there is a good bit of research to back this up, interesting stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09.03.2011, 16:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich and Thalwil
Posts: 535
Groaned at 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 156 Posts
Focus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
There can be different kinds of awareness. A clear one, like the one you are talking about, as in "clarity". Or a more frenzied one as in the kind you suffer from when dealing with anxiety. Anxiety makes you acutely aware of the things you are frightened of, are already dealing with, therefore making you frightened, or even turning things that you are around into anxious feelings. There are many different kinds of a lot of feelings, so don't just close it up into one box.
This is always a problem with these message boards, trying to keep it brief. I was not trying to close it up into one box. In my opinion anxiey, which ever way you look at, is not a good for your health mentally and physically especially on the long term.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09.03.2011, 20:29
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
This is always a problem with these message boards, trying to keep it brief. I was not trying to close it up into one box. In my opinion anxiey, which ever way you look at, is not a good for your health mentally and physically especially on the long term.
Yes and there are also problems with semantics and definitions in small spaces. Although I still maintain that anxiety in small doses is part of the human condition.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 15.03.2011, 09:54
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 484
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 353 Times in 166 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: Anxiety meds?

L-Theanine, found in Japanese green tea, Gyokuro....awesome stuff! However 20CHF for 100g!
Check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L_theanine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyokuro
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 15.03.2011, 10:50
schiesher's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
schiesher has no particular reputation at present
Re: Anxiety meds?

As an American psychotherapist with a clinical social work background in private practice in Geneva, I have worked with persons with severe anxiety disorders, including panic attacks and have found success without drugs. I help them become aware of their thoughts (I call them "fear thoughts") which are causing the anxiety, and then help them to consciously change those thoughts to something more rational and appropriate to their present moment circumstance.

Drugs, when used without psychotherapy are only band-aids which do not get to the source of the anxiety (the fear thoughts).


Last edited by MusicChick; 21.03.2011 at 12:29. Reason: Read the rules on Market Place, intro in our subforum would be nice too, thanks.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank schiesher for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 15.03.2011, 10:56
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 484
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 353 Times in 166 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
As an American psychotherapist with a clinical social work background in private practice in Geneva, I have worked with persons with severe anxiety disorders, including panic attacks and have found success without drugs. I help them become aware of their thoughts (I call them "fear thoughts") which are causing the anxiety, and then help them to consciously change those thoughts to something more rational and appropriate to their present moment circumstance.

Drugs, when used without psychotherapy are only band-aids which do not get to the source of the anxiety (the fear thoughts).

For more information please see my web site:
http://www.david-schiesher.com/psychotherapy.html
What are your thoughts on cannabis indica usage against anxiety disorders? I have heard it helps, it is a plant after all.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 15.03.2011, 11:03
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,505 Times in 725 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
What are your thoughts on cannabis indica usage against anxiety disorders? I have heard it helps, it is a plant after all.
If it helps then why not? I'm sure tobacco would be banned if it was discovered now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 15.03.2011, 11:10
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 484
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 353 Times in 166 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
If it helps then why not? I'm sure tobacco would be banned if it was discovered now.
A plant that before 1930 was used across a huge range of industries, including medicine, before being cast out into villainous territories.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 15.03.2011, 11:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich and Thalwil
Posts: 535
Groaned at 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 156 Posts
Focus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
What are your thoughts on cannabis indica usage against anxiety disorders? I have heard it helps, it is a plant after all.
The discussion of drugs be it legal or illegal is a very emotional one. In my opinion as the person said before we need to get to the cause rather than the bandaide approach. Once again in my opinion, there are side effects to any drug. And some of the anxiety medications can become addictive.

Facing life and making changes can be some what difficult but not unattainable. Once again in my opinion, many of us look for something or someone to fix us. We are not broken; we just need to learn how to respond to life more appropiately. we nned to begin to learn how to take our lives into our hands. But sometimes we do need help from others who can guide us along the path, who can support and encourage us.


Cannabis use precedes the onset of psychotic symptoms in young people
March 1st, 2011 in Medicine & Health / Psychology & Psychiatry

Cannabis use during adolescence and young adulthood increases the risk of psychotic symptoms, while continued cannabis use may increase the risk for psychotic disorder in later life, concludes a new study published in the British Medical Journal today.

Cannabis is the most commonly used illicit drug in the world, particularly among adolescents, and is consistently linked with an increased risk for mental illness. However, it is not clear whether the link between cannabis and psychosis is causal, or whether it is because people with psychosis use cannabis to self medicate their symptoms.

So a team of researchers, led by Professor Jim van Os from Maastricht University in the Netherlands, set out to investigate the association between cannabis use and the incidence and persistence of psychotic symptoms over 10 years.

The study took place in Germany and involved a random sample of 1,923 adolescents and young adults aged 14 to 24 years.

The researchers excluded anyone who reported cannabis use or pre-existing psychotic symptoms at the start of the study so that they could examine the relation between new (incident) cannabis use and psychotic symptoms.

The remaining participants were then assessed for cannabis use and psychotic symptoms at three time points over the study period (on average four years apart).

Incident cannabis use almost doubled the risk of later incident psychotic symptoms, even after accounting for factors such as age, sex, socioeconomic status, use of other drugs, and other psychiatric diagnoses. Furthermore, in those with cannabis use at the start of the study, continued use of cannabis over the study period increased the risk of persistent psychotic symptoms

There was no evidence for self medication effects as psychotic symptoms did not predict later cannabis use.

These results "help to clarify the temporal association between cannabis use and psychotic experiences," say the authors. "In addition, cannabis use was confirmed as an environmental risk factor impacting on the risk of persistence of psychotic experiences."

The major challenge is to deter enough young people from using cannabis so that the prevalence of psychosis is reduced, say experts from Australia in an accompanying editorial.

Professor Wayne Hall from the University of Queensland and Professor Louisa Degenhardt from the Burnet Institute in Melbourne, question the UK's decision to retain criminal penalties for cannabis use, despite evidence that removing such penalties has little or no detectable effect on rates of use. They believe that an informed cannabis policy "should be based not only on the harms caused by cannabis use, but also on the harms caused by social policies that attempt to discourage its use, such as criminal penalties for possession and use."

Provided by British Medical Journal

"Cannabis use precedes the onset of psychotic symptoms in young people." March 1st, 2011. http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-...oms-young.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Focus for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 17.03.2011, 11:03
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
The discussion of drugs be it legal or illegal is a very emotional one. In my opinion as the person said before we need to get to the cause rather than the bandaide approach. Once again in my opinion, there are side effects to any drug. And some of the anxiety medications can become addictive.

Facing life and making changes can be some what difficult but not unattainable. Once again in my opinion, many of us look for something or someone to fix us. We are not broken; we just need to learn how to respond to life more appropiately. we nned to begin to learn how to take our lives into our hands. But sometimes we do need help from others who can guide us along the path, who can support and encourage us.


I've had this moment of post-modern cynacism and I just have to say that everything can have side effects. And sometimes the side-effects are even good. One can become just as addicted or dependent on a non-drug treatment, or interaction with a person.

Some individuals really suffer from anxiety. It can be debilitating. And over time, if untreated, it does change the way you think. Does it make you broken? I have no clue because I don't quite know what that means.

Eventually, I do believe that the most sucessful treatments hinge on learning to reframe, and rethink, to view life as opportunities rather than threats, which might be somewhat similar to what's above.

But I don't think that anyone should suffer needlessly, and if the meds help one become more attentive to more long-terms solutions, then no one should be frightened or made to feel bad for using them.
__________________
"Pictures of perfection, as you know, make me sick and wicked" ---- Jane Austen
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 17.03.2011, 11:05
Divesnowboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Konwileggdorf
Posts: 484
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 353 Times in 166 Posts
Divesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputationDivesnowboy has an excellent reputation
Re: Anxiety meds?

...my thread above about Gyokuro Tea, stuff's excellent.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 17.03.2011, 12:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich and Thalwil
Posts: 535
Groaned at 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 156 Posts
Focus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
I've had this moment of post-modern cynacism and I just have to say that everything can have side effects. And sometimes the side-effects are even good. One can become just as addicted or dependent on a non-drug treatment, or interaction with a person.

Some individuals really suffer from anxiety. It can be debilitating. And over time, if untreated, it does change the way you think. Does it make you broken? I have no clue because I don't quite know what that means.

Eventually, I do believe that the most sucessful treatments hinge on learning to reframe, and rethink, to view life as opportunities rather than threats, which might be somewhat similar to what's above.

But I don't think that anyone should suffer needlessly, and if the meds help one become more attentive to more long-terms solutions, then no one should be frightened or made to feel bad for using them.
In regard to side effects I am referring to debilitating negative side effects. Where the medication make a person more sick than they were before they took the meds.

That is true about becoming addicted to a treatment or therapy. In my opinion the goal of good treatment or person gets a person to the point where they no longer need the person or treatment.

I agree that no one should suffer needlessly so why should they be taking meds that make them suffer needlessly.

My objective is NOT to make anyone feel guilty or bad but to inform. If you do feel guilty then you need to ask yourself why.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 17.03.2011, 13:23
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
In regard to side effects I am referring to debilitating negative side effects. Where the medication make a person more sick than they were before they took the meds.

That is true about becoming addicted to a treatment or therapy. In my opinion the goal of good treatment or person gets a person to the point where they no longer need the person or treatment.

I agree that no one should suffer needlessly so why should they be taking meds that make them suffer needlessly.

My objective is NOT to make anyone feel guilty or bad but to inform. If you do feel guilty then you need to ask yourself why.
Ah...thanks for the clarification.

In the interest of informing, I think it's important to note that there are a whole range of side effects, and that their impact varies from person to person, and from circumstance to circumstance.

I don't feel guilty, I simply don't agree.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 17.03.2011, 13:45
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: ZH
Posts: 48
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
chocolate_raisins is considered knowledgeablechocolate_raisins is considered knowledgeablechocolate_raisins is considered knowledgeable
Re: Anxiety meds?

chocolate_raisins would like to thank everyone for their useful posts.

Here is the link to the website, where you can search doctors ( in all fields and areas) who speak English.

Website for doctor search
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 18.03.2011, 11:06
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich and Thalwil
Posts: 535
Groaned at 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 156 Posts
Focus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Anxiety meds?

FYI

Prozac reorganizes brain plasticity
March 16th, 2011 in Medicine & Health / Research

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) such as Prozac are regularly used to treat severe anxiety and depression. They work by immediately increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain and by causing long term changes in brain function. However it can take weeks of treatment before a patient feels any effect and both beneficial effects and side effects can persist after treatment is stopped. New research published by BioMed Central's open access journal Molecular Brain investigates physiological changes within the brain that may be caused by SSRI treatment.

The hippocampus is an area of the brain involved in long term memory and spatial awareness, and is involved in symptoms afflicting people with Alzheimer's disease, such as loss of memory and disorientation. Neuronal cells in the hippocampus can change their activity and strength of connections throughout life, a process known as plasticity, which thought to be one of the ways new memories are formed. Altered plasticity is often associated with depression and stress.

Researchers from the Department of Pharmacology, Nippon Medical School, showed that chronic treatment of adult mice with fluoxetine (Prozac) caused changes to granule cells, one of the main types of neuronal cells inside the hippocampus, and to their connections with other neuronal cells. The granule cells appeared to undergo serotonin-dependent 'dematuration', which increased their activity and reversed adult-type plasticity into an immature state. These changes to the cell's plasticity were associated with increased anxiety and in alternating between periods of hyper or hypo activity.

Katsunori Kobayashi explained, "Some of the side effects associated with Prozac in humans, such as anxiety and behavioral switching patterns, may be due to excessive dematuration of granule cells in the hippocampus."

More information: Behavioral destabilization induced by the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor fluoxetine, Katsunori Kobayashi, Yumiko Ikeda and Hidenori Suzuki, Molecular Brain (in press).

Provided by BioMed Central

"Prozac reorganizes brain plasticity." March 16th, 2011. http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-03-...lasticity.html
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 18.03.2011, 12:37
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety meds?

Of course there are side effects from SSRIs, and many people cannot tolerate them. But what about the long-term side effects from untreated anxiety and depression - in some individuals these can be debiltating, and life threatening. Stressors can also change brain chemisty, structure, etc. But we don't talk about that.

Right now I'm having chemotherapy. Lots of side effects from the chemo and lots of side effects from the treatments used to manage the side effects from the chemo. On the other hand, the side effects and impact of the cancer ultimately might be worse.

It is responsible for individuals to consider side effects in any course of treatment. Medscape.com has an excellent side effect tracker - you put your drugs in and it not only gives you side effects, but interactions with prescription, non prescription and even herbs, spices and foods. But I think you have to look at the whole picture - what's the risk of the drug, and what's the risk if left untreated, and what other therapies might work?

I don't think it's responsible to simply say - drugs have side effects - I think you have to look at the whole picture.

Ok, I'm done here....
__________________
"Pictures of perfection, as you know, make me sick and wicked" ---- Jane Austen
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 21.03.2011, 09:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich and Thalwil
Posts: 535
Groaned at 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 276 Times in 156 Posts
Focus has made some interesting contributions
Re: Anxiety meds?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,,,
I have read your whole query.Xanax is a well known relaxation tablet prescribe by many of the doctors for relaxation purpose.Many of the people get addicted to its use.
In my view she needs to try Yoga as a treatment for anxiety.
Or biofeedback
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 22.10.2015, 19:45
Tasebo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wald, Zurich/Stockholm
Posts: 1,194
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,263 Times in 645 Posts
Tasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond reputeTasebo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety meds?

This is an old thread but as opposed to causing some EF member "unnecessary new thread" anxiety I am posting here.

My 16yr old daughter is currently being treated for PTSD that triggered at the start of her first year of gymnasium (in Sweden). The trauma is very complicated, prolonged repeated bullying over many years at school, including two very threatening incidences (one which we were made aware of and student subsequently expelled, school decision) as well as another which she finally shared with me last month. It is a far too complicated story to record here and not omit critical info.

She has severe anxiety, and anxiety over having anxiety attacks. She is receiving good professional help from psych and CBT therapist, but that takes time and is difficult to sense it is working at all when anxiety is peaked.

They have given her Theraline as needed, but today have considered whether Buspirone would be better for her. I know everyone reacts differently to meds and dosage is very important, but I am just wondering whether anyone on EF has any knowledge or experience with Buspirone, good or bad, or neutral.

I am a very anti-meds person myself - but it doesn't seem fair to keep something from her that might help this period be more manageable and ultimately more productive in helping her move forward with a new knowledge of herself and how she can help control anxiety etc. w/CBT, lifestyle etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tasebo for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
anxiety




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
List of all treatments and meds covered under basic insurance kodokan Insurance 9 19.12.2010 12:49
Cats and meds... Peg A Pet corner 15 18.01.2010 13:53
Insurer refuses to pay for prescribed meds axman Insurance 21 02.01.2009 14:19
What meds to keep on hand? Mrs. Doolittle Pet corner 12 29.12.2008 01:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0