Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05.04.2011, 09:28
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hi all,

My Niece is visiting me just now for a couple of week by surprise. Her parents didn't have time to get her EHIC card and she's recently been diagnosed as being asthmatic .

We got a spare inhaler for her at the last minute and if there is any emergency of course we'd go straight to the hospital. Would a British passport be valid in lieu of an EHIC card?

She has a separate travel insurance policy also.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by jrspet; 05.04.2011 at 09:38. Reason: Merging of successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05.04.2011, 09:50
Ittigen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Medical treatment without EHIC card

Your niece will have to pay for the doctor and reclaim the cost later from the NHS. She should ensure she is having only basic medical procedures and not staying at a private hospital!

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...itzerland.aspx
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 05.04.2011, 10:13
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,196
Groaned at 70 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 13,074 Times in 5,148 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medical treatment without EHIC card

Quote:
View Post
Hi all,

My Niece is visiting me just now for a couple of week by surprise. Her parents didn't have time to get her EHIC card and she's recently been diagnosed as being asthmatic .

We got a spare inhaler for her at the last minute and if there is any emergency of course we'd go straight to the hospital. Would a British passport be valid in lieu of an EHIC card?

She has a separate travel insurance policy also.

Thanks in advance
If she declared the asthma on the travel insurance she'll be covered for care. When my mum came over she had to declare a couple of conditions she has (minor heart problem and BP). The travel insurance was pretty pricey because of it but should would have been covered if she'd needed treatment for a related complication.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05.04.2011, 10:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 14,656
Groaned at 196 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 15,988 Times in 7,109 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medical treatment without EHIC card

If asthma is NOT on her medical notes in the UK, and this is a totally NEW thing, she should be covered by her travel Insurance. Have you registered as a family with a local GP yet? It is VERY important to build a good relationship with your local GP before emergencies happen- Much easier to ask for advice and support, if you have said relationship in place. Sadly the pollen season is now in full swing which does not help. Ask her parents to get the EHIC card today and send it immediately over.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05.04.2011, 11:03
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Medical treatment without EHIC card

Quote:
View Post
If asthma is NOT on her medical notes in the UK, and this is a totally NEW thing, she should be covered by her travel Insurance. Have you registered as a family with a local GP yet? It is VERY important to build a good relationship with your local GP before emergencies happen- Much easier to ask for advice and support, if you have said relationship in place. Sadly the pollen season is now in full swing which does not help. Ask her parents to get the EHIC card today and send it immediately over.
Well it would be in her notes, but she wouldn't have been diagnosed when the travel insurance policy was taken out. They have a running policy with their bank.

I have CallMed so I'm not suppose to register with a local GP. I asked my GP and he said there is no need to officially register.

She's been here a day and has had no wheezyness but I like to prepare for the worst and her Dad has applied for the EHIC cards for the family as they are coming over as well soon.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.04.2011, 19:16
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 1,893
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,886 Times in 846 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medical treatment without EHIC card

Quote:
View Post
Well it would be in her notes, but she wouldn't have been diagnosed when the travel insurance policy was taken out. They have a running policy with their bank.

I have CallMed so I'm not suppose to register with a local GP. I asked my GP and he said there is no need to officially register.

She's been here a day and has had no wheezyness but I like to prepare for the worst and her Dad has applied for the EHIC cards for the family as they are coming over as well soon.

The EHIC cards usually come within 4 days if ordered online - it is really a quick service.
These bank running policies can be quite tricky as I know someone who although they were not diagnosed when the policy was taken out refused to cover as they say that ANY change in your medical status must be told to them straight away.
(Of course they then insist on a hefty surcharge)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.04.2011, 19:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 14,656
Groaned at 196 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 15,988 Times in 7,109 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Medical treatment without EHIC card

Smackerjack is right - Insurance will probably say they should have been told when she was diagnosed with asthma. Get them to send her EHIC card the minute they get hers.
As your GP says, no need to register formally here, but to meet up and get to know her/him is very useful in the long term. Do check your contract for the flat if you have lots of relatives arriving for longer than a few days though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ehic




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need medical treatment advice pertin Family matters/health 18 16.11.2010 15:39
Medical Treatment Information in Emergency Situations Suggestion (s) J.L-P Family matters/health 14 08.11.2010 18:57
Anyone has used EU Medical Benefits Card to pay for hospital bills in Switzerland? cookie143 Family matters/health 1 06.05.2010 23:28
Advice on exemption from compulsory insurance (using EHIC) Tweener Insurance 2 14.03.2008 10:57
Cost of medical treatment in Switzerland readingsteve Insurance 1 11.09.2007 09:40


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0