Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.07.2012, 14:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
CJK1 has no particular reputation at present
Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Hello I've had a look at older threads on this and am just looking for the latest info, so...

Due to give birth in December (probably in Geneva) and plan to travel back to the UK asap after the birth. Probably a stupid question but is a passport the only document I can use for the baby? I imagine that there might be some delay over the Christmas holidays in obtaining one and wanted to get going as soon as I could (with husband and toddler in tow!).

Thanks all
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.07.2012, 21:38
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,192
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
Hello I've had a look at older threads on this and am just looking for the latest info, so...

Due to give birth in December (probably in Geneva) and plan to travel back to the UK asap after the birth. Probably a stupid question but is a passport the only document I can use for the baby? I imagine that there might be some delay over the Christmas holidays in obtaining one and wanted to get going as soon as I could (with husband and toddler in tow!).

Thanks all
Yes, there is nothing you can do about it - especially since 26 June 2012, every child needs his/her own ID card or Passport (the latter being the only option for UK citizens).

Expect a 4 week wait (UK gov't info). Applications are processed in Paris and the thing will cost EUR 107 + courier fees.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.07.2012, 09:53
hayleyob's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Morges VD
Posts: 249
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
hayleyob has earned some respecthayleyob has earned some respect
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

You might be driving but if you were thinking of flying most airlines require the baby to be at least 10-14 days old to fly have to check their conditions so should give you time to get the passport, as you need a birth certificate maybe someone here can advise how long it takes to get this as in uk I had to wait 3 weeks with one of my sons when it was busy to register him (im not sure of the process here).. We sent my sons off and it took 2 weeks but I suppose it all depends when you have the baby as to how busy it is.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.10.2015, 14:04
CornishPasty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 107
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
CornishPasty has slipped a little
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Is this still a valid requirement? We are also having a baby very soon and hoping to get the passport in time to head back to the UK for Xmas but if not was hoping we might be able to use the birth certificate instead
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.10.2015, 14:09
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 676
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 176 Posts
BLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeable
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
Is this still a valid requirement? We are also having a baby very soon and hoping to get the passport in time to head back to the UK for Xmas but if not was hoping we might be able to use the birth certificate instead
you would still need a passport. If you drive there could be a chance you are waved through, it happens all the time, but it could be they stop you and send you back home.

In the UK they can do a new baby passport in 1 day at an office, no idea if they do that this side of the water
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BLP for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 26.10.2015, 14:25
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
you would still need a passport. If you drive there could be a chance you are waved through, it happens all the time, but it could be they stop you and send you back home.

In the UK they can do a new baby passport in 1 day at an office, no idea if they do that this side of the water
It's not worth the risk of travelling to the UK without a passport especially with a baby.

The OP would need to check but I don't think the one day service is available for children any more, it's only for adults now. ( I think they changed it last year sometime)

You may be able to get an emergency travel document from the British consulate/embassy ( can't remember which it is) in Bern but they will only issue those for newborns in exceptional circumstances. For what it's worth the turnaround time for issuing passports is really short at the moment as long as all the documents are in order.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 26.10.2015, 14:51
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 676
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 176 Posts
BLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeable
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
It's not worth the risk of travelling to the UK without a passport especially with a baby.

The OP would need to check but I don't think the one day service is available for children any more, it's only for adults now. ( I think they changed it last year sometime)

You may be able to get an emergency travel document from the British consulate/embassy ( can't remember which it is) in Bern but they will only issue those for newborns in exceptional circumstances. For what it's worth the turnaround time for issuing passports is really short at the moment as long as all the documents are in order.

I wonder if they euro-tunnel over if the London office could do the passport quicker? I would ring here and see what they can do! I do know someone last year got a baby passport in London so I don't know if they stopped doing them.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.10.2015, 14:54
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if they euro-tunnel over if the London office could do the passport quicker? I would ring here and see what they can do! I do know someone last year got a baby passport in London so I don't know if they stopped doing them.
They've stopped the one day service as far as I know. You can still have one sent to an address in the UK but it's not the one day service.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.10.2015, 15:29
nasa2000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 384
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 254 Times in 115 Posts
nasa2000 has earned the respect of manynasa2000 has earned the respect of manynasa2000 has earned the respect of many
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
Hello I've had a look at older threads on this and am just looking for the latest info, so...

Due to give birth in December (probably in Geneva) and plan to travel back to the UK asap after the birth. Probably a stupid question but is a passport the only document I can use for the baby? I imagine that there might be some delay over the Christmas holidays in obtaining one and wanted to get going as soon as I could (with husband and toddler in tow!).

Thanks all
Are you British? if yes, then you could apply for an Emergency travel document, information here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ETD_web_13.pdf

It is usually issued for people who lost their passports and need to travel urgently, they might be doing it also for babies, maybe you want to confirm with them.

On a separate note though, since you are planning to travel to the UK (ex-Schengen) you will have to pass through passport control at your Swiss departure airport, and they will need to see your baby's Swiss residency permit, which will take you some time to issue after the birth.

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.10.2015, 15:52
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
Are you British? if yes, then you could apply for an Emergency travel document, information here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ETD_web_13.pdf

It is usually issued for people who lost their passports and need to travel urgently, they might be doing it also for babies, maybe you want to confirm with them.
You can only get an emergency travel document for somebody who has not held a passport before ( like a newborn) in very exceptional circumstances.

Here are the details from the British embassy in Bern site


https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...-embassy-berne




Quote:
View Post

On a separate note though, since you are planning to travel to the UK (ex-Schengen) you will have to pass through passport control at your Swiss departure airport, and they will need to see your baby's Swiss residency permit, which will take you some time to issue after the birth.

Good luck
What? We have flown to the UK from Swiss airports many times and have never ever had to show a Swiss residency permit for either ourselves or our son.
Why would they need to see the permit?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.10.2015, 15:54
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,505 Times in 725 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
What? We have flown to the UK from Swiss airports many times and have never ever had to show a Swiss residency permit for either ourselves or our son.
Why would they need to see the permit?
Because the newborn doesn't have a passport. You can't just take a baby out of the country without an official document of any kind.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.10.2015, 16:02
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
Because the newborn doesn't have a passport. You can't just take a baby out of the country without an official document of any kind.
They can't take the baby out without a passport so it's a moot point in my opinion. They will need a passport to be able to fly (or drive) to the UK so the lack of permit would be a non issue.
A Swiss residence permit is not an officially recognised document anywhere outside Switzerland and is certainly not a valid travel document.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.10.2015, 16:05
nasa2000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 384
Groaned at 18 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 254 Times in 115 Posts
nasa2000 has earned the respect of manynasa2000 has earned the respect of manynasa2000 has earned the respect of many
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
You can only get an emergency travel document for somebody who has not held a passport before ( like a newborn) in very exceptional circumstances.

Here are the details from the British embassy in Bern site


https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...-embassy-berne






What? We have flown to the UK from Swiss airports many times and have never ever had to show a Swiss residency permit for either ourselves or our son.
Why would they need to see the permit?

As I said in my post, I wasn't sure what is the case for babies, hence the advice to confirm with the UK Embassy, only them can define "exceptional circumstances".

I've been always asked to present the residency permit for my son whenever I traveled in/out of Switzerland through passport control. Now that you said that, I wonder if I look suspicious to them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.10.2015, 16:06
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,072
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,185 Times in 5,759 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post

On a separate note though, since you are planning to travel to the UK (ex-Schengen) you will have to pass through passport control at your Swiss departure airport, and they will need to see your baby's Swiss residency permit, which will take you some time to issue after the birth.
That's not true at all.

Quote:
View Post
Because the newborn doesn't have a passport. You can't just take a baby out of the country without an official document of any kind.
It's easy to take a baby out by car (we've never had our childrens' documentation checked).

It's nigh on impossible to get your child into the U.K. without a passport, or a Swiss ID card.

We were nearly not allowed on the ferry once when one of our childrens' ID cards had expired. They tagged him on the computer so it also sent an alert when we went into another country on the way back.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26.10.2015, 16:08
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,505 Times in 725 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
They can't take the baby out without a passport so it's a moot point in my opinion. They will need a passport to be able to fly (or drive) to the UK so the lack of permit would be a non issue.
A Swiss residence permit is not an officially recognised document anywhere outside Switzerland and is certainly not a valid travel document.
Agreed, I misread the post from nasa2000.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 26.10.2015, 16:18
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

Quote:
View Post
As I said in my post, I wasn't sure what is the case for babies, hence the advice to confirm with the UK Embassy, only them can define "exceptional circumstances".

I've been always asked to present the residency permit for my son whenever I traveled in/out of Switzerland through passport control. Now that you said that, I wonder if I look suspicious to them.
A trip to the UK to see a dying relative was not considered exceptional circumstances ( a friend was told that she could go visit her dying mother but they wouldn't issue a travel document for her (breastfed) 14 day old baby to be able to go with her so she had to make a very difficult choice) so I doubt very much whether a Christmas visit to the family would qualify.
If the baby is due fairly soon I think there's every likelihood that the baby's passport will arrive in time anyway.

As to whether you look dodgy or not I couldn't say.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27.10.2015, 00:16
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Luzern
Posts: 157
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 173 Times in 60 Posts
MarKanLu has earned some respectMarKanLu has earned some respect
Re: Legal requirements for travelling with a newborn

In 2013, I travelled from Switzerland to Greece (both Schengen countries) with a (Greek) newborn who did not have a passport yet. I only had his (notarized, with apostille affixed) birth certificate, issued by the city of Zurich. Apparently, the birth certificate was enough for the newborn to travel TO his country (but not to any other country). Once in Greece, I had his passport issued in no time, which was of course required to exit the country and return to Switzerland.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an official link regarding this relaxation of requirements for newborns (?). I do not even remember how I got the information regarding the whole procedure (was it the airline? the greek embassy? I have a memory lapse).
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WANTED: Ergo Carrier with Newborn Insert loz12 Items wanted 2 24.04.2012 12:27
Legal, Tax or other requirements to hire nannies/babysitters Frank P Finance/banking/taxation 2 09.11.2011 10:12
Website legal requirements Isambard Mews TV/internet/telephone 1 25.05.2009 09:38
Looking for nanny job with newborn in Zurich SherryLady Jobs wanted 0 12.07.2008 18:51
Spare Tyre [legal requirements?] telandy Transportation/driving 10 18.06.2007 21:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0