Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.12.2012, 12:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vevey
Posts: 48
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
ocpaul20 has made some interesting contributions
Unwanted thoughts and worries

I know there are many sceptics on here, but this technique is really amazing and is not a scam in any way.

I do not practise this or sell it, so there is no need for the mods to think I am promoting myself.I do not have any affiliation to Gary Craig or anyone involved in EFT. I just feel that there are many people who could benefit from this technique which works on intense emotions and reduces the effect they have on us.

It is called EFT which stands for Emotional Freedom Technique and was developed by Gary Craig in the USA from previously discovered methods by others- among them Roger Calaghan. Gary made EFT popular and has done a lot to make it a more widely known method of healing emotionally caused issues.

So, this is the bit that the sceptics will relish...
The technique involves simply tapping on acupuncture points on the upper body and face while at the same time repeating a statement which acknowledges the intense emotion we are feeling.

EFT is used by therapists all over the world and some doctors are using it too. It can be learned in a few minutes and it is absolutely FREE.

If you are sufferering with unwanted thoughts, worries or emotionally intense fears or issues, then one extra thing you can try for yourself is EFT.

It has been used to help Vietnam Veterans overcome their persistent unwanted memories of that dreadful time in their lives and so EFT has at least this achievement to show how effective it can be. Many VV were unable to sleep much due to nightmares and guilt caused by their participation in that war and EFT has helped to allow them some peace.

I am not an expert, but I have watched many DVDs and tried this technique on myself and friends as you can too. You do not need to buy anything to start reducing the intensity of your emotional issues. There are Youtube tutorials and a manual which can be downloaded along with instructions how to start from Gary's official website below.

It is safe for kids and does not involve any drugs, or hypnosis. However, as with all health issues, you are advised to use common sense when evaluating whether this will be of benefit to you or your family.

I hope someone can benefit from this technique.
Official EFT website: http://www.garythink.com/eft/
Paul
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ocpaul20 for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 12.12.2012, 12:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 774
Groaned at 76 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 1,109 Times in 389 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

I don't need it. I solve any problems as I go along.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Busby for this post:
  #3  
Old 12.12.2012, 12:52
SuisseRomand's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Geneva & Nendaz
Posts: 969
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,019 Times in 420 Posts
SuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond reputeSuisseRomand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

I used EFT as one of my tools to get ride of my social phobia.

It can be very efficient.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SuisseRomand for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 12.12.2012, 12:54
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Villars-sur-Glāne, FR
Posts: 6,943
Groaned at 92 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 10,833 Times in 3,913 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

It doesn't work. I tapped a few acupuncture points whilst saying "i think homeopathy and energy remedies are lies and fabrications".

Didn't change a thing, I still think that way.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 12.12.2012, 13:13
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundabout Basel
Posts: 6,751
Groaned at 83 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 8,384 Times in 3,617 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
So, this is the bit that the sceptics will relish...
The technique involves simply tapping on acupuncture points on the upper body and face while at the same time repeating a statement which acknowledges the intense emotion we are feeling.
Sounds a bit OCD if I'm honest and/or a coping mechanism rather than a "cure". But hey, if it helps you...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 12.12.2012, 13:16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 494
Groaned at 100 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 892 Times in 345 Posts
BonBon has a reputation beyond reputeBonBon has a reputation beyond reputeBonBon has a reputation beyond reputeBonBon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
I know there are many sceptics on here, but this technique is really amazing and is not a scam in any way.

I do not practise this or sell it, so there is no need for the mods to think I am promoting myself.I do not have any affiliation to Gary Craig or anyone involved in EFT. I just feel that there are many people who could benefit from this technique which works on intense emotions and reduces the effect they have on us.

It is called EFT which stands for Emotional Freedom Technique and was developed by Gary Craig in the USA from previously discovered methods by others- among them Roger Calaghan. Gary made EFT popular and has done a lot to make it a more widely known method of healing emotionally caused issues.

So, this is the bit that the sceptics will relish...
The technique involves simply tapping on acupuncture points on the upper body and face while at the same time repeating a statement which acknowledges the intense emotion we are feeling.

EFT is used by therapists all over the world and some doctors are using it too. It can be learned in a few minutes and it is absolutely FREE.

If you are sufferering with unwanted thoughts, worries or emotionally intense fears or issues, then one extra thing you can try for yourself is EFT.

It has been used to help Vietnam Veterans overcome their persistent unwanted memories of that dreadful time in their lives and so EFT has at least this achievement to show how effective it can be. Many VV were unable to sleep much due to nightmares and guilt caused by their participation in that war and EFT has helped to allow them some peace.

I am not an expert, but I have watched many DVDs and tried this technique on myself and friends as you can too. You do not need to buy anything to start reducing the intensity of your emotional issues. There are Youtube tutorials and a manual which can be downloaded along with instructions how to start from Gary's official website below.

It is safe for kids and does not involve any drugs, or hypnosis. However, as with all health issues, you are advised to use common sense when evaluating whether this will be of benefit to you or your family.

I hope someone can benefit from this technique.
Official EFT website: http://www.garythink.com/eft/
Paul
Quote:
developed by Gary Craig in the USA
Why am I not surprised.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank BonBon for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 12.12.2012, 13:50
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,980
Groaned at 388 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 13,814 Times in 5,482 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
Sounds a bit OCD if I'm honest and/or a coping mechanism rather than a "cure". But hey, if it helps you...
OCD can be controled with the help of cognitive therapy which is a long process but hardly without any meds to help a lack of serotonin that has to be medically treated.

Once the meds are doing their job, it is to the patient to work on a psychological level.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 12.12.2012, 13:53
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,200
Groaned at 113 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

English Forum Therapy? What's that? "Toughen the *** up"?
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 12.12.2012, 14:28
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Affoltern am Albis
Posts: 1,221
Groaned at 90 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 1,145 Times in 566 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

EFT works as well as any other placebo. You don't even need to 'tap' the acupuncture points, you can 'tap' in your head and it also works. Look at it in the way you would a lucky rabbits foot or lucky undies.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 12.12.2012, 14:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 5,250
Groaned at 165 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 3,859 Times in 1,979 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

i have lots of unwanted thoughts, but most would end up with me sitting in a police cell
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank rob1 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 12.12.2012, 14:42
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,799
Groaned at 78 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 4,147 Times in 1,642 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries



Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 12.12.2012, 14:46
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Affoltern am Albis
Posts: 1,221
Groaned at 90 Times in 43 Posts
Thanked 1,145 Times in 566 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
i have lots of unwanted thoughts, but most would end up with me sitting in a police cell
Would you be interested in selling some of these? Mine are normally just the plain old boring type of thought. What's for dinner kind of thing...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 12.12.2012, 14:58
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 2,752
Groaned at 43 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 3,739 Times in 1,344 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

This kind of codswallop always reminds me of this little ditty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=DE&hl=de&v=TYgOlqinH7A
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12.12.2012, 17:17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vevey
Posts: 48
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
ocpaul20 has made some interesting contributions
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

It is really great to see so many open minded and flexible people on this forum. AND you are all free from unwanted thoughts and worries. Thats really great.

Sometimes it is easier to go a thread bashing than it is to be constructive about them. No skin off my nose whichever. It only needs one person to be helped by this post and it has served its purpose.

I am not quite sure what the OCD references are for since I would have thought that everyone gets unwanted thoughts and worries from time to time, but hey, as I said, you guys have such good mental health it must be the mountain air and the Swiss cheese!
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ocpaul20 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 12.12.2012, 17:31
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,980
Groaned at 388 Times in 306 Posts
Thanked 13,814 Times in 5,482 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
It is really great to see so many open minded and flexible people on this forum. AND you are all free from unwanted thoughts and worries. Thats really great.

Sometimes it is easier to go a thread bashing than it is to be constructive about them. No skin off my nose whichever. It only needs one person to be helped by this post and it has served its purpose.

I am not quite sure what the OCD references are for since I would have thought that everyone gets unwanted thoughts and worries from time to time, but hey, as I said, you guys have such good mental health it must be the mountain air and the Swiss cheese!
Hum.... Need to practice a bit more on your good thought, don't you?

Only one person was talking about OCD and my answer to his was to specify. Everybody have unwanted thoughts and worries. None of them will disappear with a magic spell.

If you have a bad day, take it easy, see friends, watch a movie, drink a glass of wine of beer and relax. If you have a bad week, it'll pass. You have a bad month? Give it some time.

It has been months of being bad? Consult someone.

Not sure if this will sound like bashing your thread.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 12.12.2012, 17:37
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 5,822
Groaned at 139 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 4,658 Times in 2,584 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
English Forum Therapy? What's that? "Toughen the *** up"?
Quote:
View Post
i have lots of unwanted thoughts, but most would end up with me sitting in a police cell
I would get 2 consecutive life thermes

Last edited by cannut; 12.12.2012 at 23:07.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 12.12.2012, 17:43
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 5,822
Groaned at 139 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 4,658 Times in 2,584 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
It is really great to see so many open minded and flexible people on this forum. AND you are all free from unwanted thoughts and worries. Thats really great.

Sometimes it is easier to go a thread bashing than it is to be constructive about them. No skin off my nose whichever. It only needs one person to be helped by this post and it has served its purpose.

I am not quite sure what the OCD references are for since I would have thought that everyone gets unwanted thoughts and worries from time to time, but hey, as I said, you guys have such good mental health it must be the mountain air and the Swiss cheese!
Can`t wait for Assassins coment on this one
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 12.12.2012, 17:44
Sky's Avatar
Sky Sky is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere special far away
Posts: 3,739
Groaned at 41 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 5,150 Times in 2,034 Posts
Sky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond reputeSky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

@OP
Wish there were a real method instead of a message that sounds like a sales pitch.

The issue with the aftermath of pain and sudden unexpected trauma is that a person can have difficulty comprehending what is real and what is just their perception. As a result, the body exhaustingly responds with fright to everything as if it were a potential danger.

There are methods for reprogramming the thought process such as meditation and yoga.
I've heard neuroliguistic programming works too ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sky for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 12.12.2012, 18:57
Vlh22's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St-Prex
Posts: 1,080
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,299 Times in 460 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

I find the technique, as you describe it, rather... dead end.

Acknowledging unwanted thoughts and worried - fair enough. I can't comment on the business about tapping on acupuncture points... but yes, I'd agree that facing up to unwanted thoughts and worries is a good thing to do. Burying these things never helps.

But then what?

If you suffer from what is known as 'automatic thoughts' - unhelpful thoughts if you will (the psychologists who took me through CBT object strongly to the word negative), the danger is that they can become engrained in your way of thinking. A very minor trigger can then set off the cycle of thoughts again, and each time this happens it's as if the thoughts are dug a little deeper in your pattern of thinking.

In order to move forward a person needs to recognise the thoughts, then analyse the thought and see what is based on fact and what is an emotional response (there are tools which can help a person do this), and then finally try and restructure that thought. This is an ongoing process, and initially a person may need professional help to do this.

So I don't see how this technique you are proposing can be beneficial on it's own... because it is only the first stage of the restructuring process.

Personally I like being able not only to acknowledge my unwanted thoughts but also knowing that I have a large 'toolbox' I can turn to to help me understand them, identify the tricks my mind plays on me and then challenge those thoughts with a new thought that is kinder to myself and also more based on reality. If all I did was sit here tapping myself saying 'I feel useless and helpless and I'm never going to get back to work.'... I know where I'd be heading and it's not a place I want to be.
__________________
My novel
My blog
@HillWrite
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Vlh22 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 12.12.2012, 19:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: basel
Posts: 2,537
Groaned at 29 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,162 Posts
biff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond reputebiff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unwanted thoughts and worries

Quote:
View Post
Personally I like being able not only to acknowledge my unwanted thoughts but also knowing that I have a large 'toolbox' I can turn to to help me understand them, identify the tricks my mind plays on me and then challenge those thoughts with a new thought that is kinder to myself and also more based on reality.
Just curious - I have only come across the "Toolboxx" expression from people who have done Landmark courses. Is this where you got your coping strategy from, or is the expression common/used elsewhere?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eft, emotions, fears, healing, worries




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single Rabbit Worries angeleck2000 Pet corner 9 17.04.2012 16:59
Frauds, spammers and unwanted content appearing on English Forum kashif Forum support 7 20.03.2010 18:12
Unwanted wedding and evening dresses for sale arryana Items wanted 3 15.03.2010 16:59
Student B permit worries 768onsc Permits/visas/government 0 04.10.2009 10:05
Speeding Worries Toni Transportation/driving 6 04.01.2007 19:15


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0