Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.01.2013, 17:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: neuhausen
Posts: 88
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 18 Posts
frenchsanta has no particular reputation at present
3rd generation contraceptive pills

As you may know, 3rd generation contraceptive pills are about to be banned in France. I'm taking myself Harmonet, which is a 3rd generation pill and I'm going to my gynecologist on monday to change it to a 2nd generation pill. I tried to find of list (or some names) of 2nd generation pills sold in Germany or in Switzerland on the internet but I didn't find it. Can a german speaker help me find it? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by frenchsanta; 03.01.2013 at 18:37.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.01.2013, 18:46
ALS ALS is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Geneva
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
ALS has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

What's the 3rd generation contraceptive pills? why would they stop selling it? ism't it supposedly better than the 2nd?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.01.2013, 18:59
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 207
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 105 Times in 74 Posts
stevesim is considered unworthystevesim is considered unworthystevesim is considered unworthy
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

following the link for 2. generation Pille in German here

http://www.netdoktor.de/Gesund-Leben...Pille-556.html

gives you a list of brand name of pills on another page here

http://www.netdoktor.de/Medikamente/...200002863.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank stevesim for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 03.01.2013, 19:01
crazykittylady's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 551
Groaned at 54 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 449 Times in 233 Posts
crazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputation
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Quote:
View Post
What's the 3rd generation contraceptive pills? why would they stop selling it? ism't it supposedly better than the 2nd?
2nd Generation: synthetic progesterone less likely than 3rd generation to cause blood clots but often cause androgenizing symptoms like acne, extra-hair, male pattern baldness, etc...

3rd Generation: synthetic progesterones that with increased risk of blood clots, but reduce androgen-linked symptoms like acne, extra-hair, etc...

They want to stop selling it because it increases the risk of blood clots, especially in smokers.

Last edited by crazykittylady; 03.01.2013 at 19:02. Reason: Forgot to mention why they would stop selling it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank crazykittylady for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 03.01.2013, 19:45
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 2,924
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 3,440 Times in 1,515 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

I'm taking Qlaira, a 4th generation pill.

There's a very slightly raised risk of getting a stroke in the first 6 months after starting a 3rd generation pill, compared to a 2nd generation one.

After 6 months, there's strictly no difference. There's no point changing for another pill if the one you're taking suits you.

A contraceptive pill is a drug, and it goes with secondary effects, potentially deadly for a very small minority of women. If you don't want to take the risk, get an IUD or use condoms.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.01.2013, 20:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: neuhausen
Posts: 88
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 18 Posts
frenchsanta has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Thank you sooo much!!That's exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
View Post
following the link for 2. generation Pille in German here

http://www.netdoktor.de/Gesund-Leben...Pille-556.html

gives you a list of brand name of pills on another page here

http://www.netdoktor.de/Medikamente/...200002863.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.01.2013, 20:15
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: neuhausen
Posts: 88
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 51 Times in 18 Posts
frenchsanta has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Thanks for your answer! I can't use condoms or an IUD as I have a condition and need to take the pill non-stop. I'm taking harmonet for 5 years now and it suits me but they are taking so much about that in France that I'm scared now. They want to ban it starting from march 2013. I'll talk about that with the gynecologist, even though I don't want to pay for the visit

Quote:
View Post
I'm taking Qlaira, a 4th generation pill.

There's a very slightly raised risk of getting a stroke in the first 6 months after starting a 3rd generation pill, compared to a 2nd generation one.

After 6 months, there's strictly no difference. There's no point changing for another pill if the one you're taking suits you.

A contraceptive pill is a drug, and it goes with secondary effects, potentially deadly for a very small minority of women. If you don't want to take the risk, get an IUD or use condoms.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03.01.2013, 20:33
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 2,924
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 3,440 Times in 1,515 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

I watched a doc just now on French news (m6).

With a 2nd generation, you have 0.02% chance of getting a potentially Lethal blood clot. With a 3rd generation, the risk is doubled to a staggering 0.04%. This is negligible. And the difference is noticeable only in the first 6 months.


In the doc a gyn explained that the new pills had other benefits: less secondary effects, for instance, and a lower hormonal dosage.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mélusine for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.01.2013, 20:41
Tuborg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 440
Groaned at 33 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 552 Times in 219 Posts
Tuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Quote:
View Post
With a 2nd generation, you have 0.02% chance of getting a potentially Lethal blood clot. With a 3rd generation, the risk is doubled to a staggering 0.04%. This is negligible. And the difference is noticeable only in the first 6 months.
Negligible? I am not sure about that, because one would need to have a look at the mathematics behind it to see how that number was reached.

Personally, we decided to go down the condoms route. I didn't feel it was fair that my wife should bear risks when a simple solution existed that didn't have any side effects ( except the odd pregnancy here and there ).

Does the 0.04% refer to the chance of side-effects with each individual pill or does it refer to the percentage that will suffer side-effects from the women who take this pill?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.01.2013, 20:42
crazykittylady's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 551
Groaned at 54 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 449 Times in 233 Posts
crazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputation
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Quote:
View Post
I watched a doc just now on French news (m6).

With a 2nd generation, you have 0.02% chance of getting a potentially Lethal blood clot. With a 3rd generation, the risk is doubled to a staggering 0.04%. This is negligible. And the difference is noticeable only in the first 6 months.


In the doc a gyn explained that the new pills had other benefits: less secondary effects, for instance, and a lower hormonal dosage.
Smoking is also a concern. Maybe there are many more smokers in France?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.01.2013, 20:51
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 2,924
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 3,440 Times in 1,515 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Quote:
View Post
Negligible? I am not sure about that, because one would need to have a look at the mathematics behind it to see how that number was reached.

Personally, we decided to go down the condoms route. I didn't feel it was fair that my wife should bear risks when a simple solution existed that didn't have any side effects ( except the odd pregnancy here and there ).

Does the 0.04% refer to the chance of side-effects with each individual pill or does it refer to the percentage that will suffer side-effects from the women who take this pill?
Well, I think this must be a personal and well thought about choice, and I think the current hysteria isn't leading to anything productive.

In my case, I'm allergic to latex, so condoms aren't really an option (latex free ones are plain weird). I tried an IUD, but didn't tolerate it very well.

And I appreciate the beneficial effects the pill brings me: shorter to non-existant periods - while without it I suffer from such heavy periods that they leave me anemic - the end of my terrible pre-menstrual migraines, etc.

Incidently, some doctors think the blood clotting incidence is slightly higher because the 3rd generation pills are typically prescribed to women with higher risks, such as smokers.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.01.2013, 00:35
crazykittylady's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 551
Groaned at 54 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 449 Times in 233 Posts
crazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputationcrazykittylady has an excellent reputation
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Quote:
View Post
Incidently, some doctors think the blood clotting incidence is slightly higher because the 3rd generation pills are typically prescribed to women with higher risks, such as smokers.
This is something I wondered about actually. I was under the impression that 3rd gen pills weren't prescribed to smokers due to the much higher increased risk, but it seems this questions isn't normally considered.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09.01.2013, 10:47
cdcdoc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fehraltorf / ZH
Posts: 1,020
Groaned at 30 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 759 Times in 386 Posts
cdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond reputecdcdoc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

You might want to read this:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/swiss_ne...l?cid=34680100
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09.01.2013, 11:15
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 123
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
291279 has no particular reputation at present
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Quote:
View Post
I'm taking Qlaira, a 4th generation pill.

There's a very slightly raised risk of getting a stroke in the first 6 months after starting a 3rd generation pill, compared to a 2nd generation one.

After 6 months, there's strictly no difference. There's no point changing for another pill if the one you're taking suits you.

A contraceptive pill is a drug, and it goes with secondary effects, potentially deadly for a very small minority of women. If you don't want to take the risk, get an IUD or use condoms.
HI, what about spotting? Mine is horrible. Please let me know, I think I want to change from Claira to something else. But only two days of period is awesome....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09.01.2013, 13:06
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 2,924
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 3,440 Times in 1,515 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3rd generation contraceptive pills

Quote:
View Post
HI, what about spotting? Mine is horrible. Please let me know, I think I want to change from Claira to something else. But only two days of period is awesome....
No spotting and no periods either. It's a relief. But I seemed to be plagued by yeast infections since I started it, and I've got an app with my gyn to see if the pill might be the cause.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need to get contraceptive pills. MAR25 Family matters/health 66 23.08.2013 18:16
New Ipad 3rd Generation 16GB White WiFi Londondolly Items for sale 4 21.03.2012 07:45
For Sale: iPod Shuffle 3rd Generation 4GB (Geneva or by post) igirlzoe Items for sale 16 04.11.2009 15:38


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0