Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.01.2009, 01:04
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 1,973
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 548 Times in 348 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

Does anyone employ a Familien Praktikantin instead of an au pair or nanny? If you do would you like to share your experiences. Our au pair is leaving and we are looking at all options.

I have found this link (in German) which summarises the differences between employing an aupair, nanny or praktikantin.

http://www.migrosmagazin.ch/index.cfm?id=23104
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.02.2009, 17:07
Rosieragdoll's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Rosieragdoll has earned some respectRosieragdoll has earned some respect
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

I have just employed a girl from the company Pro Juventa (Praktikantin). She will work four days a week, eight hours a day, at a cost of around 500CHF per month.

Luckily I know the young lady already, as she is the daughter of a friend, and she has known my kids since birth. I will be working from home so for me having a Praktikantin has huge advantages (not least the cost!)

Obviously it's early days as she only started this week but I'm happy with the choice I've made as it works for me, a single mum who needs to work.

I'll update you as things progress, if you're interested.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Rosieragdoll for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.02.2009, 18:08
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 1,973
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 548 Times in 348 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

Quote:
View Post
I have just employed a girl from the company Pro Juventa (Praktikantin). She will work four days a week, eight hours a day, at a cost of around 500CHF per month.

Luckily I know the young lady already, as she is the daughter of a friend, and she has known my kids since birth. I will be working from home so for me having a Praktikantin has huge advantages (not least the cost!)

Obviously it's early days as she only started this week but I'm happy with the choice I've made as it works for me, a single mum who needs to work.

I'll update you as things progress, if you're interested.

Just one question, is there a percentage of time where an adult has to be present in the house with her?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.02.2009, 18:14
Rosieragdoll's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central
Posts: 56
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Rosieragdoll has earned some respectRosieragdoll has earned some respect
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

No, it's not specified in the contract. It just says that I have to make sure she is familiar with all the household tasks she is required to undertake.

I'll probably be leaving her alone for one of her four days a week, the rest of the time I will be here, but working in another room.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.02.2009, 18:18
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 1,973
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 548 Times in 348 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

We are looking at options for our au pair replacement as an extra pair of hands and this may be a solution.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.10.2010, 16:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 78
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
PatMc has earned some respectPatMc has earned some respect
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

Apologies if this should be in another thread. I am thinking of taking on a Praktikant, but being foreign have no idea what to do. Does anyone know if there is an official body that would have info?
Many thanks
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.10.2010, 17:48
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mezieres Vaud
Posts: 102
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
mgivogue has no particular reputation at present
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

I'm jumping in here as well...

How do I find a Familien Praktikantin?
Rosieragdoll (or anyone else who uses a Praktikantin) - how has your experience been so far?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.09.2013, 23:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirika has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to hire a Familien Praktikantin

Quote:
View Post
I have just employed a girl from the company Pro Juventa (Praktikantin). She will work four days a week, eight hours a day, at a cost of around 500CHF per month.

Luckily I know the young lady already, as she is the daughter of a friend, and she has known my kids since birth. I will be working from home so for me having a Praktikantin has huge advantages (not least the cost!)

Obviously it's early days as she only started this week but I'm happy with the choice I've made as it works for me, a single mum who needs to work.

I'll update you as things progress, if you're interested.

Hello,

I have two children 2 and 3 years old, and I would like to hire a young girl (that I already know ) to help me with childcare with the status of familien praktikantin. Unfortunately I have no idea of the process that I should follow to legally hire a familien praktikantin. Is there a sample contract? To which body shall I submit the contract (or the details of it)? Is there a proposed monthly salary according to the age? Is there a time limit? Is anybody eligible to make a familien practicum? Who could advice me on these maters? I would appreciate any tip or advice...thanks a lot
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.09.2013, 00:15
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 220
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 276 Times in 102 Posts
chrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of manychrisinzurich has earned the respect of many
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

I'm pretty sure you have to have more than 2 kids. I know of a couple families who had a Praktikantin for 6 months. One family found it to be a huge help with their 3 kids and the other found it to be like having a 4th child to look after.
If you look here: www.sozialjahr.ch, you'll find info, albeit in German.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.09.2013, 00:30
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mirika has no particular reputation at present
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

Quote:
View Post
I'm pretty sure you have to have more than 2 kids. I know of a couple families who had a Praktikantin for 6 months. One family found it to be a huge help with their 3 kids and the other found it to be like having a 4th child to look after.
If you look here: www.sozialjahr.ch, you'll find info, albeit in German.
Thanks a lot...I will look at it asap
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.06.2015, 22:16
coconut's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurichberg
Posts: 720
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 985 Times in 397 Posts
coconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Childcare using a Familien Praktikantin

bumping this thread in hopes I can get some feedback, has it worked for you? Im thinking of getting an aupair as happily work is going great and i would love to add more hours, I read this thread and now Im wondering if a praktikantin is a better option because I would prefer the person taking care of the boys speaks swiss german with them and that is an inconvenience under the aupair program.
any feedback is more than welcome
Thanks in advance

Kali
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aupair, praktikantin




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Childcare in Switzerland Adzia Family matters/health 17 25.09.2013 13:01
Is anyone looking for childcare in LU/ZG/ZH? JAPP Jobs wanted 3 05.09.2008 09:20
childcare Helenepascoe Family matters/health 1 24.07.2008 15:52
Summer childcare available Kellyco Jobs wanted 1 24.06.2008 10:47
Available for babysitting/childcare norwegiannurse Jobs wanted 9 01.04.2008 21:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0