Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Family matters/health
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.01.2010, 21:04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pully
Posts: 441
Groaned at 43 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 105 Posts
muffin has made some interesting contributions
Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

We're currently looking for a new Fridge/Freezer for our new apartment.

Initially we decided to take Miele (side by side) Fridge/Freezer but the kitchen company proposes us to buy Liebherr. They told us Liebherr actually make Miele Fridge so 100% same quality but lower price (4860 vs 3618Sfr !!!! basing on same fridge/freezer mix, litre, energy rating and 95% of features)

I'm very very tempted to take Liebherr and spent the whole afternoon to research review in Liebherr and Miele but unfortnately 90% of comments are from US only (cause I only browsed english comments) + product purchased from US so seem not very relevant.

So could any member here share with me your experience in SWITZERLAND -I mean those PURCHASED Liebherr or Miele in SWITZERLAND and use it here or hear word of mouth from friends around?!!

thanks a lot.

FYI (my research basing on US website : Liebherr has common problem in door (hinge, stability), temperature stability of the fridge & freezer, after sales service)

Last edited by muffin; 07.01.2010 at 21:21.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.01.2010, 21:45
WorldTraveller's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aarau
Posts: 513
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 151 Times in 101 Posts
WorldTraveller has earned some respectWorldTraveller has earned some respect
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

We have a Liebherr freezer. The MediaMarkt guy told us the same thing and that Liebherr/Miele fridge is really the top end of the fridge/freezer spectrum. So far so good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.01.2010, 23:56
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kt. AG
Posts: 5,633
Groaned at 135 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,370 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

My only experience is with Miele. All of our appliances are Miele with the exception of one, our new induction cooktop. Miele service is prompt and efficient. Initially you have the manufacturers' warranty (2 years) and after that you can buy the extended one, but you have to decide to do this as the two year warranty is about to end. If you wait and skip a year or more, you can still buy it later but you have to pay a percentage of the annual fee for the missed years. Of course you can take a chance and just pay later for service and parts as needed.

Who does the service for Liebherr? This is really important. If they outsource it, be careful. Can you buy the extended warranty as with Miele?
__________________
lots of items to be rehomed in addition to those ...here

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08.01.2010, 07:21
Glendyn's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: ZH. Horgen area
Posts: 938
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 828 Times in 365 Posts
Glendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond reputeGlendyn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

We were also about to buy a Miele Freezer, and then because of a sudden price jump for the model we wanted we looked for an alternative. I'm very glad we did. We bought a Liebherr No Frost freezer after a recommendation from someone else. We are delighted and it's totally frost free. Liebherr are a top make. (They are a huge German engineering company). I can recommend their large cranes also... :-)

Service / Swiss importer is Fors AG. http://www.fors.ch/
Some good deals on the internet, but make sure it' s a Swiss imported model which has Swiss service backup from the official importer.

We also have Miele goods in our kitchen (Hob, Dishwasher, Fridge) and each one is a disaster. I was previously under the impression Miele was the best but after the experience of ours would never buy anything else Miele.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08.01.2010, 10:04
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pully
Posts: 441
Groaned at 43 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 105 Posts
muffin has made some interesting contributions
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
My only experience is with Miele. All of our appliances are Miele with the exception of one, our new induction cooktop. Miele service is prompt and efficient. Initially you have the manufacturers' warranty (2 years) and after that you can buy the extended one, but you have to decide to do this as the two year warranty is about to end. If you wait and skip a year or more, you can still buy it later but you have to pay a percentage of the annual fee for the missed years. Of course you can take a chance and just pay later for service and parts as needed.

Who does the service for Liebherr? This is really important. If they outsource it, be careful. Can you buy the extended warranty as with Miele?
You sure the aftersales service done by Miele itself please? I might buy the extra year warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.01.2010, 12:09
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kt. AG
Posts: 5,633
Groaned at 135 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,370 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
You sure the aftersales service done by Miele itself please? I might buy the extra year warranty.

Positive. The service is good. When we moved into our house we had all Miele appliances of vaious ages including an 18 year old washing machine and all the kitchen appliances. We weren't sure exactly how old the Miele kitchen appliances were. Using the serial numbers/model numbers Miele was able to give us an approximate idea. The service technician was here the next day after our call for the diswasher. At the same time he checked out the other appliances.

The Miele basic warranty is two years. My understanding is that you only need to decide towards the end of the 2 year period whether you want to extend.

Miele has a toll free number and they are very helpful. Why not call and ask them the questions directly?
__________________
lots of items to be rehomed in addition to those ...here

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.01.2010, 12:21
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kt. AG
Posts: 5,633
Groaned at 135 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,370 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
We were also about to buy a Miele Freezer, and then because of a sudden price jump for the model we wanted we looked for an alternative. I'm very glad we did. We bought a Liebherr No Frost freezer after a recommendation from someone else. We are delighted and it's totally frost free. Liebherr are a top make. (They are a huge German engineering company). I can recommend their large cranes also... :-)

Service / Swiss importer is Fors AG. http://www.fors.ch/
Some good deals on the internet, but make sure it' s a Swiss imported model which has Swiss service backup from the official importer.

We also have Miele goods in our kitchen (Hob, Dishwasher, Fridge) and each one is a disaster. I was previously under the impression Miele was the best but after the experience of ours would never buy anything else Miele.
Our Miele kitchen appliances are not new but they all function...we have slowly been replacing them. I bought a "display model" of a Miele oven from the kitchen manufacturer who built the kitchen in our house for the previous owner. The old oven was a Miele. It was 19 years old. I called Miele when it stopped working and they said it made no sense to repair, given the age. The funny thing about the "floor model" we bought is that it was never on display but was new, in the box. We saved 50% off the list price and the 2 year warranty is from the date it was installed. The kitchen manufacturer installed it and took away the old one. I also needed the electrician, very briefly.

The dishwasher and fridge are at least 9 years old but working well. If and when they need replacing, I am partial to Miele but if the kitchen manufacturer has another "display model" at 50% off, I will consider it. My induction cooktop is new and it is Electrolux. It also came from the kitchen manufacturer.

It is absolutely worth calling some of the kitchen places. You need the appliance installed and the kitchen experts are the best to do this.
__________________
lots of items to be rehomed in addition to those ...here

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08.01.2010, 12:28
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tee Chee No?
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,485 Times in 713 Posts
Boxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

check out Samsung. I'm getting a Samsung side-by-side on some kind of promotion from a very decent kitchen place. 1600 or so.....heck, I should take two. I can't even beat that price with industry contacts...!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.01.2010, 12:42
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pully
Posts: 441
Groaned at 43 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 105 Posts
muffin has made some interesting contributions
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
check out Samsung. I'm getting a Samsung side-by-side on some kind of promotion from a very decent kitchen place. 1600 or so.....heck, I should take two. I can't even beat that price with industry contacts...!!
thanks for sharing. No offence but Samsung is way too far below Miele in terms of reputation and quality in the electric appliance I don't even think about it. As for Liebherr, I have to admit that I'm a bit ignorant not to hear this brand after finding out that it makes very good fridge...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.01.2010, 12:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tee Chee No?
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 1,485 Times in 713 Posts
Boxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond reputeBoxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Are you sure?
I assume therefore you're dropping about 6k on your appliance?
I'll report back in 6 months if you do the same
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.01.2010, 14:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Near Zug
Posts: 3,565
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,138 Posts
CH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond reputeCH_Me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
thanks for sharing. No offence but Samsung is way too far below Miele in terms of reputation and quality in the electric appliance I don't even think about it. As for Liebherr, I have to admit that I'm a bit ignorant not to hear this brand after finding out that it makes very good fridge...
I have a General Electric Profile fridge. It has lasted longer than the Miele dishwasher that I needed to replace last year. I didn't find the Miele service particularly good either. They charged something like chf 75 call out and chf 150 an hour, and I spent chf 460 on a repair that fixed it for just over a year. I should have just put a new one in instead of repairing it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08.01.2010, 19:11
Big Mara's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Berner Jura
Posts: 306
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 406 Times in 183 Posts
Big Mara has an excellent reputationBig Mara has an excellent reputationBig Mara has an excellent reputationBig Mara has an excellent reputation
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
We're currently looking for a new Fridge/Freezer for our new apartment.

Initially we decided to take Miele (side by side) Fridge/Freezer but the kitchen company proposes us to buy Liebherr. They told us Liebherr actually make Miele Fridge so 100% same quality but lower price (4860 vs 3618Sfr !!!! basing on same fridge/freezer mix, litre, energy rating and 95% of features)

I'm very very tempted to take Liebherr and spent the whole afternoon to research review in Liebherr and Miele but unfortnately 90% of comments are from US only (cause I only browsed english comments) + product purchased from US so seem not very relevant.

So could any member here share with me your experience in SWITZERLAND -I mean those PURCHASED Liebherr or Miele in SWITZERLAND and use it here or hear word of mouth from friends around?!!

thanks a lot.

FYI (my research basing on US website : Liebherr has common problem in door (hinge, stability), temperature stability of the fridge & freezer, after sales service)
Salut muffin
The selection is yours. The only difference between the two labels are the shelves and plastic containers.
The side by side models have a new flat hinge system which is much stronger than the others. The real new thing with these fridges is they have a door closer which makes sure the doors are air tight.
I know this type of fridge since it came on the market about 4 years ago and can only say good things about it.
Liebherr or Miele? The service for Liebherr is in Biel and Miele has stations that cover the whole of Switzerland.
I think the question is, how often do you have problems with a fridge?
With a quality fridge not very often.
Muffin in my eyes the side by side are the best on the market at this time

Salut zamma
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.01.2010, 20:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Pully
Posts: 441
Groaned at 43 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 183 Times in 105 Posts
muffin has made some interesting contributions
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
Salut muffin
The selection is yours. The only difference between the two labels are the shelves and plastic containers.
The side by side models have a new flat hinge system which is much stronger than the others. The real new thing with these fridges is they have a door closer which makes sure the doors are air tight.
I know this type of fridge since it came on the market about 4 years ago and can only say good things about it.
Liebherr or Miele? The service for Liebherr is in Biel and Miele has stations that cover the whole of Switzerland.
I think the question is, how often do you have problems with a fridge?
With a quality fridge not very often.
Muffin in my eyes the side by side are the best on the market at this time

Salut zamma
thanks. it's very detailed and specific. could you clarify if the side by side benefit is about Miele or Liebherr or both?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08.01.2010, 20:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ticino & London
Posts: 1,998
Groaned at 172 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 1,129 Times in 619 Posts
Cashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond reputeCashboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Liebherr and Miele are built in the same factory and the difference will be the cosmetics and badging like so many manufacturers (Bosch - Neff).

If I had the choice and you are worried what people will say, I would opt for the Miele because this is more common in Switzerland and most well to do people know that Miele is quality while a lot of people will not know Liebherr at all unless in the appliance market.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09.01.2010, 11:38
Big Mara's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Berner Jura
Posts: 306
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 406 Times in 183 Posts
Big Mara has an excellent reputationBig Mara has an excellent reputationBig Mara has an excellent reputationBig Mara has an excellent reputation
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
thanks. it's very detailed and specific. could you clarify if the side by side benefit is about Miele or Liebherr or both?
Salut Muffin
It's like cashboy wrote, Liebherr and Miele "side by side models " are built in the same factory.
The benefit of the "side by side" system is you have 2 fridges of very good quality which you can build into a kitchen front.
The only "food center" to build in, of near to the same size "Gaggenau food center" costs more than Fr14,000 and has very loud motors.
The GE and Samsung models are free standing.
If you need more Info PM me.

Salut Zamma
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Big Mara for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 08.03.2010, 07:50
sgknowles's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gempen, Dornach, SO
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
sgknowles has no particular reputation at present
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

I can vouch for the noise of the gaggenau side-by-side. Ours is over 15 years old and sounds like it's permanently about to take off, hence looking for a new model to replace it. It is so loud it can be heard throughout the house over several floors!

Can anyone comment on the noise factor of the miele/liebherr?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08.03.2010, 11:29
ljm ljm is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Geneva
Posts: 767
Groaned at 7 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 372 Times in 218 Posts
ljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputationljm has an excellent reputation
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

The only experience with Miele that I have is our vacuum cleaner. Everybody told me 'Miele is so good, it is the best brand, you will notice the difference'. I have not noticed any difference for the better -- this vacuum cleaners has bits and peaces falling off it all the time. It is as heavy as my previous cheap Philips model and is not visibly any more efficient.

Regarding fridges, we have an LG side-to-side fridge/freezer that cost 1,500 CHF. I had looked at Siemens and Liebherr models before buying and honestly did not see the point of paying that much more for a big brand. We rent our flat, it may be different if you own the house and you want to put 'all Miele appliances' in the ad once you put it on sale...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08.03.2010, 11:53
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kt. AG
Posts: 5,633
Groaned at 135 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 4,963 Times in 2,370 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Quote:
View Post
The only experience with Miele that I have is our vacuum cleaner. Everybody told me 'Miele is so good, it is the best brand, you will notice the difference'. I have not noticed any difference for the better -- this vacuum cleaners has bits and peaces falling off it all the time. It is as heavy as my previous cheap Philips model and is not visibly any more efficient.

Regarding fridges, we have an LG side-to-side fridge/freezer that cost 1,500 CHF. I had looked at Siemens and Liebherr models before buying and honestly did not see the point of paying that much more for a big brand. We rent our flat, it may be different if you own the house and you want to put 'all Miele appliances' in the ad once you put it on sale...
I have a Miele Cat and Dog Vacuum and it is excellent. I have had it a few years and it is in mint condition. I am the only one who uses it. It was expensive, and of course, but it is well made. I also have a Dyson, which I need to wear ear protection when I use.

All the appliances in my house are Miele. Miele service is excellent and the machines are reliable. It doesn't matter where you buy them, if they are new, they are covered by the warranty. After two years you can extend the warranty if you like.
__________________
lots of items to be rehomed in addition to those ...here

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 08.03.2010, 11:59
HTD's Avatar
HTD HTD is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zollikerberg
Posts: 816
Groaned at 24 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 574 Times in 309 Posts
HTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond reputeHTD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

Miele built their reputation on washing machines and dryers, not fridges, which Liebherr built their reputation on.

go for the Liebherr (we have them too) and buy them in Germany.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HTD for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 13.01.2011, 12:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lutry
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jeaninetr has no particular reputation at present
Re: Miele vs Liebherr Fridge/Freezer - your experience

I have a LIebherr side by side fridge freezer which we purchased 2 yrs ago and love it! I chose a large fridge and then a high humidity fridge and freezer with ice maker for the other side. I looked around a lot before buying (Habitat et Jardin in Beaulieu was a great place to look and compare) This appliance is very well designed even to the small details. It is true about Miele and Liebherr. The latter makes it for the former so why not go with the manufacturer. The only difference I noticed were cosmetic (the handles and I liked Liebherrs better). I had a small temperature regulation problem with the high humidity fridge and called their client service. They came quickly and were very helpful and friendly. Have not had a problem since. Miele also has a friendly client service. My Miele dishwasher stopped working Monday (its 8 yrs old) but the technician won't be able to come for 5 days. I would not fuss over the decision too much. Go for it (I think Liebherr is also slightly cheaper because you are not paying for the Miele name). YOu won't regret it. I also compared this fridge to the Gaggennau and liked Liebherr better.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
liebherr, miele




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: An old fridge/freezer heatherlawrence Items wanted 0 14.09.2009 05:53
Problems With Ikea Fridge Freezer einalem Complaints corner 0 06.09.2009 21:12
(Zurich) Wanted - Fridge/Freezer or Freezer KKC Items wanted 0 10.08.2009 17:45
Wanted: freezer, or fridge/freezer, nr Lausanne kodokan Items wanted 2 19.06.2008 09:37
Looking for Second Hand Fridge Freezer Black Alfa Items for sale 4 12.09.2007 21:46


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0