Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
View Poll Results: How long does the euro have left?
Monday 4 3.85%
Before/near Xmas 12 11.54%
Mid-February 34 32.69%
It'll stay intact due to an overnight hallmark 54 51.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #281  
Old 20.06.2012, 15:13
Mark75's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: by the lake (either one)
Posts: 2,409
Groaned at 44 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,267 Posts
Mark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond reputeMark75 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
Actually in Capitalism the aforementioned oil reserve is supposed to NEVER finish and might probably ALWAYS grow and replenish itself.
Abiotic Oil a Theory Worth Exploring
Reply With Quote
  #282  
Old 20.06.2012, 16:27
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,864
Groaned at 81 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,607 Times in 890 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

ok, but above all somebody, some company i-dunno-who must have set a cap for such salaries. if i was a ferry boat captain, for sure i wouldnt say no to 5000euros. i could (at least i try to) understand if a CEO was overpaid, but... this is silly! if this all true i dont have much sympathy for the greeks.
Reply With Quote
  #283  
Old 20.06.2012, 17:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 999
Groaned at 234 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 622 Times in 388 Posts
Bucentaure is considered unworthyBucentaure is considered unworthyBucentaure is considered unworthy
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
...
... if this all true i dont have much sympathy for the greeks.
Cannot be that you might have that German thing, could it?



Quote:
View Post
well, i am no finance guru and i am absolutely lost in whats going on in this crisis....but one thing that makes me wondering is: i watched a documentary about Kos/Greece and Bodrum/Turkey.
...
Attention with German (and non-German) media. Take them maybe as a point of some reference, but never fully trust them. As in modern society they set the agenda (which is an important role), but they have no real interest neither in accuracy in effects and pointing out causes, nor in problem solving.



Quote:
View Post
...
... they showed how prosperus the 20km away Bodrum is like and how the situation changes for the worse on Kos island/Greece.
...
We should have asked Herodotus for an advice on cyclical consideration of the issue.


Quote:
View Post
...
... they spoke to the greece ferry captain who said, he earns 5000 euros (dunno if it was gross or net, but it doesnt matter as this wage is NUTS, overpaid job!)the turkish earns 1200 euros. i have heard that a Greece train driver earns up to 7500 euros in Germany it is maybe 2500-3500 euros gross. wtf??? if thats the case id quit here and start my train driver job now!?
...
Why? How much do you earn in Switzerland?



Quote:
View Post
...
AFAIK the cost of living, housing etc. is not that high in Greece compared to other EU countries, the trainfares are rdiculous low in Greece... so i wonder how on earth do they get such high salaries in Greece as in the EU the wages for such jobs a are lower and the cost of living is even higher?

and what makes me wonder is why do people demonstrate as their wages get cut (it is a bitter pill and i wouldnt like that too, but i could see that 1 and 1 makes 3 with such miss-management, overpaid job) as they still can pay the bills and still (can) save money with the knowledge that they ran the country into a bust?
...
... which brings me to my point: Who cares about how much a public employee earns in Greece and how efficient public admin was/is (btw how good was it in the Ehemaligen, the beloved GDR?). This is a typical German view on the problem, that is not caused by Greek dolce vita and mediterranean inferiority, but by lacks in European and worldwide cooperation and coordination in financial matters. What really hurts Greece is not that much public administration (which was always bad, not as GDR, but however) but interest rates on international markets and fresh capital. And the link between those gaps and public admin and debts is quite weak actually. And Germany until now is no real part of the solution, but rather part of the real problem, as it seems to be unable or unwilling to any policy that could bring some relief.


Cheers
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Bucentaure for this useful post:
  #284  
Old 20.06.2012, 18:11
dino's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,663
Groaned at 35 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 1,279 Times in 628 Posts
dino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond reputedino has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
This is a typical German view on the problem, that is not caused by Greek dolce vita and mediterranean inferiority, but by lacks in European and worldwide cooperation and coordination in financial matters. What really hurts Greece is not that much public administration (which was always bad, not as GDR, but however) but interest rates on international markets and fresh capital. And the link between those gaps and public admin and debts is quite weak actually. And Germany until now is no real part of the solution, but rather part of the real problem, as it seems to be unable or unwilling to any policy that could bring some relief.


Cheers
Quote:
View Post
ok, but above all somebody, some company i-dunno-who must have set a cap for such salaries. if i was a ferry boat captain, for sure i wouldnt say no to 5000euros. i could (at least i try to) understand if a CEO was overpaid, but... this is silly! if this all true i dont have much sympathy for the greeks.
here's an interesting take on the whole Greek tragedy. very long, but well worth the read. Not just soundbites and catchy quotes - it digs into the history and daily life to highlight everything that has gone wrong.

highly recommended.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dino for this useful post:
  #285  
Old 20.06.2012, 19:24
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ecublens, Lausanne, VD
Posts: 49
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
photonion has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Concerning the greek salaries and a few words on the greek problem:

It has already been mentioned that german media (and to be honest pretty much most of the 'mainstream' media in the world, greek media included, no doubt) have an agenda and take care to promote what they want their audience to believe. I'm sure that the 'reportage' omitted to mention how many people commit suicide daily in Greece since 2009 and what their previous and current salaries (if they have any) were. It seems that 'independent' journalists enjoyed their holidays in beautiful Kos and in (equally beautiful) Bodrum and they also 'passed' their message to their audience.
I have no idea about the salaries of small boats captains, but I can tell you (coming from a large nautical family) that a captain of a tanker (I repeat, TANKER, the ones that cross half the planet) usually makes around 10000 per month, net. It might seem a lot, but these guys are responsible for multi million Euros freight, they stay away from their families for at least 6-8 months and they have to command the beasts in both calm and raging seas. With this in mind, i think the claimed salary of 5000 Euros for a small ferry is either fake, or the guy is doing 3 jobs and sums them all.
But what happens with 'normal', 'daily', professions?
A primary school teacher in Greece used to earn (back at the good times) around 1000 Euros per month, net and now, IF you ever get hired you get 660 Euros (net).
An electrical, civil, or mechanical engineer back in the good days used to make 1250 Euros per month (net) and had to pay 250 per month for insurance and pension (1000 net). Now their salary remains the same but they have to pay 500 Euros per month for the aforementioned insurances.
A clerk at a supermarket or a sales assistant in a large shop would make around 700-800 Euros per month, net. Now the base salary is 560 Euros and most of the times, the employer does not pay insurance (taking advantage of the 22.5% OFFICIAL unemployment rate)...
Doctors affiliated to the public insurance schemes are paid for 6, (yes six) Euros per visit and even these money are not compensated by the government (because the famous money that SAVED Greece, go back DIRECTLY as interest rates payment). Doctors in the private sector, as everywhere in the world can make quite a lot of money (depending on reputation, etc...).
Concerning the ultra high salary cases: (for example the train driver).
It is absolutery TRUE that there have been cases of ridiculously OVERPAID (especially for greek standards) professionals. Not every train driver in Greece makes 7500 Euros per month. They might get that much + a bit more per year. The guys that made so much money were parts of 'syndicates' extremely close to the political parties. If you belonged in these syndicates you had a beautiful life.
In a few words: Corruption (especially in justice and public administration), lack of auditing and controlling the crazy spending of the corrupted few (see what happens in defense expenses in Greece - must be one of the highest budgets in the world) and above all a lack of VISION for what Greece should and what Greece could be, are a major part of the greek problem. On top of that add to the mix the usual bunch of unprofessionals (especially in the tourism industry) and you easily get a mix with a very ugly 'public' profile, and serious inside problems... Not good at all.
There are indeed many problems within the greek society and many 'pathologies', but I don't think that the average greek person had the buying power they are 'advertised' to have... Moreover , what is worse, during the recession years, NOTHING was done to heal these structural problems of the greek society (and some things could be done for FREE).
I will get back with more examples and how political corruption survives...

Edit : Important note:

During the last 4 years inflation is on the loose and prices are stuck (in the best cases) or significantly increased compared to 2009 (food, electricity, water, etc...). You can imagine how things are truly are....

Last edited by photonion; 20.06.2012 at 19:36.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank photonion for this useful post:
  #286  
Old 20.06.2012, 20:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 999
Groaned at 234 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 622 Times in 388 Posts
Bucentaure is considered unworthyBucentaure is considered unworthyBucentaure is considered unworthy
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
Concerning the greek salaries and a few words on the greek problem:

It has already been mentioned that german media (and to be honest pretty much most of the 'mainstream' media in the world, greek media included, no doubt) have an agenda and take care to promote what they want their audience to believe...
...
There's an extra point regarding German media and German public opinion, as now the Greek or "PIGS" crisis is a means to get rid of their national complex, so German media are far more aggressive, misleading, cheating and abusing than any other in Western Europe.

Unfortunately the temptation to get over the Nazi guilt has been thankfully adopted by most of Germany's politicians.

So attention with that country. Germany is dangerous.


Cheers
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Bucentaure for this useful post:
This user groans at Bucentaure for this post:
  #287  
Old 20.06.2012, 21:03
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,865
Groaned at 86 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,740 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
Concerning the ultra high salary cases: (for example the train driver).
It is absolutery TRUE that there have been cases of ridiculously OVERPAID (especially for greek standards) professionals. Not every train driver in Greece makes 7500 Euros per month. They might get that much + a bit more per year. The guys that made so much money were parts of 'syndicates' extremely close to the political parties. If you belonged in these syndicates you had a beautiful life.
In a few words: Corruption (especially in justice and public administration), lack of auditing and controlling the crazy spending of the corrupted few (see what happens in defense expenses in Greece - must be one of the highest budgets in the world) and above all a lack of VISION for what Greece should and what Greece could be, are a major part of the greek problem. On top of that add to the mix the usual bunch of unprofessionals (especially in the tourism industry) and you easily get a mix with a very ugly 'public' profile, and serious inside problems... Not good at all.
There are indeed many problems within the greek society and many 'pathologies', but I don't think that the average greek person had the buying power they are 'advertised' to have... Moreover , what is worse, during the recession years, NOTHING was done to heal these structural problems of the greek society (and some things could be done for FREE).

10,000 a month even for a tanker captain seems quite high unless we are talking about highly experienced ones of course. The is a high end salary for the profession.

But anyway, this is exactly what I've been reading in the reporting. I've never read that 'everyone in the whole country is being overpaid'.... It's those people's salaries and pensions need to be cut. Not sure how realistic that's going to be.

The other problem that is being reported is that tax evasion is a serious issue in Greece. Do you have any thoughts on that issue from a Greek perspective?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #288  
Old 20.06.2012, 21:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 581
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 244 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

BREAKING NEWS: new Greek government formed.

Their first decision is for the country to stay aboard the Titanic.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank spalebärg for this useful post:
  #289  
Old 20.06.2012, 21:24
ratbag's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 466
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 203 Posts
ratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeable
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Couple of figures on Greece from the CIA World Factbook, hardly a source do you think which would want to promote the cause of the proles:

Population below poverty line: 20% (2009 est.)
Unemployment rate: 17.3% (2011 est.)

So much for all the Greeks swanning round in Ferraris.

As per usual it's the majority being shafted by the tax evading bar stewards on the hill.

I'm sure the stories of asylum seekers in London living in mansions and receiving annual donations of 6 figures would, similarly, make much mileage with the Daily Mail and Express readers.




https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/gr.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ratbag for this useful post:
  #290  
Old 20.06.2012, 22:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ecublens, Lausanne, VD
Posts: 49
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
photonion has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
10,000 a month even for a tanker captain seems quite high unless we are talking about highly experienced ones of course. The is a high end salary for the profession.
That's why I was referring to this extreme example, just to make clear that 5000 Euros per month is simply impossible for a ferry captain. Such salary cannot exist. And, yes, I was talking about extremely experienced captains (45+, crossed the world more times than they care to remember... very interesting guys to talk to actually...)

Quote:
View Post
But anyway, this is exactly what I've been reading in the reporting. I've never read that 'everyone in the whole country is being overpaid'.... It's those people's salaries and pensions need to be cut. Not sure how realistic that's going to be.
I don't know how realistic it is either... People are really suffering and after the introduction of Euro, greek economy has been de-industrialized, agricultural sector has become so uncompetitive that Greece started importing potatoes, tomatoes(!), etc and the services sector too expensive to be competitive (or not as competitive as it should be)... I don't see any sign of growth in the horizon...

Quote:
View Post
The other problem that is being reported is that tax evasion is a serious issue in Greece. Do you have any thoughts on that issue from a Greek perspective?
Tax evasion IS a serious problem, no doubt. Only public servants are taxed at source, the rest have to fill in the usual income and tax form. And this is where the problems start. In my previous post I was referring to social 'pathologies' and tax evasion is one of them and works in the following way:
Let's suppose you have a small business, i.e. sell ice-creams. The first way of evading taxes is simply by 'forgetting' to print out the receipt of each purchase. Common practice for many years and although you might have invoices for buying 2 tons of ice-cream, you claim you sold last year 3 kilograms of ice-cream... What happened to the rest 1997 kgs??? Nobody CARES to know... Tax clerks, when they see something like that, it is a golden opportunity for them to make 'black' money... You evaded tax from 1997 kg of ice cream, so they are more than willing to take 50% of the owed taxes so that they 'forget' these 1997kgs.... As we can see in this example... it takes two to tango...

Why is this happening? Apart from the ultra strong Euro (last 10 years), Greece has looooong ago lost its competitiveness due to the labyrinthine laws concerning business set up and operation. Greece, unfortunately IS NOT business friendly. Even a small business like an ice cream stand would require tons of bureaucracy and if you made the mistake of hiring someone, just to know how much you would have to pay for insurance coverages you would have to go through a law about dentist professional rights (! no kidding here!). How many taxes do you have to pay? Ok, 23% VAT, but that's not only it. There is a plethora of laws that include taxes about pretty much everything and they change on an extremely high frequency. Let's suppose that - as most of the professionals do in the beginning - want to be righteous and just and decide that you pay 100% of the taxes. 1st year of operation everything goes fine. 2nd year, you are happy and say, ok I will go on this way it's great. So you thought. A tax clerk comes and checks your books. In the meantime a law somewhere (probably a law about the rights of lamas in Greece) has changed so you are accused of tax evasion, as you should pay probably 20% more taxes. The clerk is also used to make some VERY good 'black' money with this strategy, so they know all the law changes and how to inflate the penalties for the particular omission in your books. Despite that you already paid a hefty amount of money for taxes you are now faced with a very high fine for your profound tax evasion. The tax clerk offers to 'forget' this little problem for 50% of the fine price... If you are brave enough to report his/her behavior, next year you will find yourself in big trouble (most tax clerks are highly ranked members of political parties)... Corruption at its finest....
So in the end many ppl (extremely wrongly in my opinion) go to the tax evasion route. And as you know... if one does it it's a crime, if all the neighborhood does it, it's a habit....

That's why Greece does not need money! It needs STRUCTURAL changes. In the laws, in the mechanisms that control public servants, in justice, everywhere. And they cost NOTHING. Sending money to Greece does not make sense. Structural changes are needed, a better functioning state is needed, a new mentality is needed, a new vision is needed, they all are free and nothing is done about them... It's really a shame... And what the greeks should be accused of (rightfully) is that they were not brave enough to change (since decades ago) the corrupt political system that set up this bad taste joke.... I don't know what to say... Sometimes people are like electricity... they follow the pathway that requires the least energy....
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank photonion for this useful post:
  #291  
Old 20.06.2012, 22:26
flow23's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,864
Groaned at 81 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 1,607 Times in 890 Posts
flow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond reputeflow23 has a reputation beyond repute
first of all i said: i have no clue, thats why im asking. i was responding to the oil field-theory and i am grateful for the linked text. havent read it yet but will do to get a clou. i have heard about the overpaid jobs from different sources, not only german tv. i stopped following it as i was quickly fed up with all the irritating views and stories. thx for all the infos. concerning tanker captains: my gf's dad was a tanker cpt. he earned somewhat 7000€, boat ran under diverse flags... thats no myth.

thank you also for the insights on the network-corruption-issue. i lived in gdr and i know about communism etc. capitalism is not the right system but is there any better?

anyway... thanks.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank flow23 for this useful post:
  #292  
Old 20.06.2012, 22:49
ratbag's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 466
Groaned at 21 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 374 Times in 203 Posts
ratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeableratbag is considered knowledgeable
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

OK.
Here's some stuff to checkout on the oil-field theory (this has been floating around for decades) Just as the theory that the Moon was constructed from green cheese had been circulated for centuries...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siljan_%28lake%29
http://www.ureader.de/msg/149380031.aspx

enjoy.


Quote:
View Post
first of all i said: i have no clue, thats why im asking. i was responding to the oil field-theory and i am grateful for the linked text. havent read it yet but will do to get a clou. i have heard about the overpaid jobs from different sources, not only german tv. i stopped following it as i was quickly fed up with all the irritating views and stories. thx for all the infos. concerning tanker captains: my gf's dad was a tanker cpt. he earned somewhat 7000€, boat ran under diverse flags... thats no myth.

thank you also for the insights on the network-corruption-issue. i lived in gdr and i know about communism etc. capitalism is not the right system but is there any better?

anyway... thanks.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ratbag for this useful post:
  #293  
Old 20.06.2012, 23:19
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,865
Groaned at 86 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,411 Times in 3,740 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
I don't know how realistic it is either... People are really suffering and after the introduction of Euro, greek economy has been de-industrialized, agricultural sector has become so uncompetitive that Greece started importing potatoes, tomatoes(!), etc and the services sector too expensive to be competitive (or not as competitive as it should be)... I don't see any sign of growth in the horizon...
This is the same problem I mentioned above really. With the introduction of the Euro and the massive shift of business to China, most of the EU is not competitive, certainly the PIIGS are not. The only one who won out of this is Germany.

And again, the EU was built to trade with in the EU, not import everything from China.

Brussels, we have a problem.

Oh, PS, thanks for the taking the time to explain.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #294  
Old 20.06.2012, 23:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,465
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,227 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
That's why Greece does not need money! It needs STRUCTURAL changes.
Well, the money that Greece gets from outside goes to three distinct "sink-holes":
- repay foreign debt, the real reason Greece has been kept on life-support since it was discovered it's essentially broke
- pay salaries
- and pensions


All the rest is really on a death-spiral (energy-sector, health-sector - you name it and it's on the brink of a complete meltdown) - because neither the state nor people have money and thus nobody pays bills, slowly draining any imports (hospitals and pharmacies owe billions to Roche, Novartis, GSK....
If it wasn't so sad, one could joke about Al Qaida setting up shop there shortly, as it's close to being a failed state.... not unlike Somalia etc.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but several historians have commented that the people of Greece don't have a positive attitude towards their own state - historically, the state has always been the enemy of the citizen (most recently witnessed by the colonel regime) and thus it was socially acceptable to deceive it of taxes.

This is not something anybody from outside (like the Troika or some EU-sent administrator) can fix. If the Greece population hates its own state, from deep inside, it cannot survive. Plain simple.
You can't collect taxes at gun-point.
Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 21.06.2012, 03:43
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,786
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

All the market speculation and very interesting history aside, gas/petrol in Boston, typically one of the more expensive parts of the US, hit 3.35/gal today....and it was very close to or over 4.00 when we arrived in April. I figure when it drops below 3.00 that will signal tough times ahead as, though the market is very variable, when fuel drops like a stone on what was a weaker currency....I don't need to watch what the eurocrats are doing to know that they're failing miserably. How are fuel prices in CH? Are they still at 1.65CHF/L?
Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 21.06.2012, 09:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 581
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 244 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?



G20 summit: Leaders alarmed over eurozone crisis
Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 21.06.2012, 10:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,465
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,227 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
How are fuel prices in CH? Are they still at 1.65CHF/L?
http://www.benzin-preis.ch/


Though, on 2nd look, it isn't super-complete.
Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 21.06.2012, 11:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,120
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,084 Times in 3,289 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
This is the same problem I mentioned above really. With the introduction of the Euro and the massive shift of business to China, most of the EU is not competitive, certainly the PIIGS are not. The only one who won out of this is Germany.

And again, the EU was built to trade with in the EU, not import everything from China.

Brussels, we have a problem.

Oh, PS, thanks for the taking the time to explain.
The EU was built that certain countries preserve some advantages. The rest should stay in the second, third gear...
Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 21.06.2012, 13:52
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6,507
Groaned at 304 Times in 201 Posts
Thanked 8,082 Times in 2,889 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
The EU was built that certain countries preserve some advantages. The rest should stay in the second, third gear...
Is it just me or is this thread descending into unsupported vague half statements that say nothing, but increase members post count? (This is another, by the way...)
Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 21.06.2012, 15:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,120
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,084 Times in 3,289 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long does the Euro have left?

Quote:
View Post
Is it just me or is this thread descending into unsupported vague half statements that say nothing, but increase members post count? (This is another, by the way...)
It was from the very beginning like that...haven't you noticed? Now, if you'd excuse me, I have to check up the drahma/euro exchange rate...

Is it just me or as soon as we try to get to the root of the problems and start blaming the Greeks...some characters over here get easily irritated?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B permit - how long does applying take at the kreisburo? emmabiasiolo Permits/visas/government 5 23.06.2011 15:37
How Does the Falling Euro Affect the CHF? esto Finance/banking/taxation 27 18.06.2010 20:02
How long does it take for the application process? Florin Employment 2 29.05.2009 15:44
How long does it take getting the Ausweis? dbg Permits/visas/government 3 12.04.2007 23:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0