Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.01.2015, 01:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Reporting Fraud

Hello,

We have had someone fraudulently use our amazon account and although we can contact the bank and amazon is there any way they can track who placed the order by tracing the IP address?
Can i report it to this swiss police or leave it to the UK banking and Uk authorities to chase as both are from UK accounts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.01.2015, 01:47
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,201
Groaned at 317 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,565 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

Amazon would be best placed to trace the fraud. Also given IP addresses are easily falsified there is a good chance the address could be anywhere
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 18.01.2015, 01:51
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

Quote:
View Post
Amazon would be best placed to trace the fraud. Also given IP addresses are easily falsified there is a good chance the address could be anywhere
The use of a VPN, would give a false IP address.
Agree with contacting Amazon ASAP.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.01.2015, 08:19
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,924
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,395 Times in 2,931 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

Tracing the fraud is not your problem.

Change your password for Amazon and remove all credit cards from the account. Where else have you used the email address and password? Because someone else has them.

Report the transactions to Amazon and your credit card provider. NOW!
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 18.01.2015, 09:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 780
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 408 Times in 250 Posts
ChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeedsToKnow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

I donīt understand how an Amazon account can be fraudulently used?

At least on amazon.de, whenever you enter a new delivery address, you have to re-enter your payment details. At first I didnīt understand why, but suddenly it made perfect sense: If someone "just" manages to steal your password, they would only be able to order items to your pre-saved delivery addresses.

Only way out for the thief would be to order to your address and snatch the package from the mailbox when itīs delivered. Wouldnīt that be a bit risky?

Anyway - could you specify a bit more what happened, so no-one has to fall for the same thing?

Whatever happened: Report to amazon and credit card company ASAP, Iīd say.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank ChrisNeedsToKnow for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 18.01.2015, 10:20
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

Quote:
View Post
Tracing the fraud is not your problem.
...but it will quickly become your problem if you don't do what Sean Connery says.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.01.2015, 11:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,351
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,248 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

We have had someone fraudulently use our amazon account and although we can contact the bank and amazon is there any way they can track who placed the order by tracing the IP address?
Can i report it to this swiss police or leave it to the UK banking and Uk authorities to chase as both are from UK accounts?

Thanks
Quote:
View Post
I donīt understand how an Amazon account can be fraudulently used?

At least on amazon.de, whenever you enter a new delivery address, you have to re-enter your payment details. At first I didnīt understand why, but suddenly it made perfect sense: If someone "just" manages to steal your password, they would only be able to order items to your pre-saved delivery addresses.

Only way out for the thief would be to order to your address and snatch the package from the mailbox when itīs delivered. Wouldnīt that be a bit risky?

Anyway - could you specify a bit more what happened, so no-one has to fall for the same thing?

Whatever happened: Report to amazon and credit card company ASAP, Iīd say.

It's the same on Amazon UK and FR; so if this person has ordered books or other goods there should be a delivery address listed that's nothing to do with you, although presumably there won't be one if they've been buying Kindle books.

Do as Sean Connery says and change your password, remove your card details, asap.
Then contact Amazon and let them deal with it, I'm sure they'll know how to handle it as you won't be the first this has happened to.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 18.01.2015, 13:05
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,865
Groaned at 86 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,412 Times in 3,740 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

Quote:
View Post
I donīt understand how an Amazon account can be fraudulently used?

At least on amazon.de, whenever you enter a new delivery address, you have to re-enter your payment details. At first I didnīt understand why, but suddenly it made perfect sense: If someone "just" manages to steal your password, they would only be able to order items to your pre-saved delivery addresses.

Only way out for the thief would be to order to your address and snatch the package from the mailbox when itīs delivered. Wouldnīt that be a bit risky?

Anyway - could you specify a bit more what happened, so no-one has to fall for the same thing?

Whatever happened: Report to amazon and credit card company ASAP, Iīd say.
I had two fraudulent transaction through "Amazon". The first month they charged $7. When I didn't notice that the next month they charged almost $50 and that one I did notice.

The charges were for "Kindle" purchases. So no physical address needed.

I wrote "Amazon" in quotes at it turned out it wasn't Amazon at all and it didn't go through my Amazon account. It was someone using that name.

Quite sneaky as we don't always notice small payments.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 18.01.2015, 13:49
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,579 Times in 5,411 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reporting Fraud

Quote:
View Post
We have had someone fraudulently use our amazon account and although we can contact the bank and amazon is there any way they can track who placed the order by tracing the IP address?
Can i report it to this swiss police or leave it to the UK banking and Uk authorities to chase as both are from UK accounts? Thanks
I have just noticed my credit card has a debit entry to Amazon on 14.01.2015 for 12 months Prime membership of Ģ79 (Fr 126.60 @ rate Fr 1.5788 to Ģ1 )

I have immediately cancelled the membership, & Amazon computer says I will be refunded Ģ79. (I will make sure I get the full Fr 126.60)

To Loulabelle: Is this perhaps the same fraud that you have experienced?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.01.2015, 14:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pfaffikon ZH
Posts: 259
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 185 Times in 77 Posts
loulabelle has no particular reputation at present
Re: Reporting Fraud

It was already reported. We then discovered we may know who did it but wanted to have the Information on hand if it was u fact someone else. Amazon have already started chasing And so its out if our hands. Hopefully can. E sorted privately, but still a very sad thing to have happened.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
banking, fraud, help needed, ordering




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Media Markt - Fraud [Not Fraud - Warranty Issue] junkeitch Complaints corner 28 20.08.2014 15:50
Room fraud msb86 Housing in general 2 05.01.2013 02:23
Reporting Specialist msolis Jobs offered 0 08.08.2011 22:47
Fraud xfreakx Complaints corner 17 10.07.2008 11:20


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0