Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.04.2015, 11:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 35
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
dannyb1 has no particular reputation at present
Changing up coins

Might be a strange question as I'm sure the bank will take them.. but what do you do with all your Swiss coins? I don't want to go through & count them all..


In the UK they have machines in supermarkets that take a % of the total, although I've never seen one here in Zug.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.04.2015, 11:37
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,855
Groaned at 167 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 8,886 Times in 3,980 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
In the UK they have machines in supermarkets that take a % of the total,.
Wha? Surely not! I've certainly never seen or even heard of one.

And on a more general note - why don't you just spend them?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 02.04.2015, 11:39
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,783
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,380 Times in 6,645 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
Might be a strange question as I'm sure the bank will take them.. but what do you do with all your Swiss coins? I don't want to go through & count them all..


In the UK they have machines in supermarkets that take a % of the total, although I've never seen one here in Zug.
I had a huge pile of them recently - and yet in the last 2 weeks I have managed to reduce it down to a total of <6 chf of change.

I simply made sure I fed the parking meeting and tram machines with 10/20/50rpn coins - and had the right change in Migros/COOP - mainly with the piles of 5rpn coins I had.

I would leave the house with around 10chf in coins - 1,2,5chf coins and then the rest in smaller coins.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 02.04.2015, 11:42
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,369
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,673 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

5 Rappen coins
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.04.2015, 13:06
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 768 Times in 511 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

OP, if you do a search, has been discussed before. there is one my bank, I forget which one has coin machine excluding the 5p raps, that you simple insert coins and gives notes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.04.2015, 14:08
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
I had a huge pile of them recently - and yet in the last 2 weeks I have managed to reduce it down to a total of <6 chf of change.

I simply made sure I fed the parking meeting and tram machines with 10/20/50rpn coins - and had the right change in Migros/COOP - mainly with the piles of 5rpn coins I had.

I would leave the house with around 10chf in coins - 1,2,5chf coins and then the rest in smaller coins.
Cor .... I'd've loved to have been behind you in the queue.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.04.2015, 14:35
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,199
Groaned at 317 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 3,292 Times in 1,564 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
Wha? Surely not! I've certainly never seen or even heard of one.

And on a more general note - why don't you just spend them?
Many banks here have these machines, just open your eyes
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.04.2015, 14:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Biol_bloke has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
Many banks here have these machines, just open your eyes
Yep they do - You're looking for a regular ATM with that's a bit bigger an wider than most - there's a compartment / funnel thing on the side that accepts coins. I make an annual pilgrimage to the big Credit Suisse at paradeplatz with my pickle jar 'o shrapnel for this purpose. Makes a nice cheerful jingly sound as it does its job too :-)

For other locations / banks etc I'll guess you need to look at their websites - most have some sort of branch / ATM finder - the word for this magical machine is "Einzahlautomat Münz". Bigger branches are probably a better bet than small.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.04.2015, 15:13
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,319
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,228 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
Yep they do - You're looking for a regular ATM with that's a bit bigger an wider than most - there's a compartment / funnel thing on the side that accepts coins. I make an annual pilgrimage to the big Credit Suisse at paradeplatz with my pickle jar 'o shrapnel for this purpose. Makes a nice cheerful jingly sound as it does its job too :-)

For other locations / banks etc I'll guess you need to look at their websites - most have some sort of branch / ATM finder - the word for this magical machine is "Einzahlautomat Münz". Bigger branches are probably a better bet than small.
In 35 years here I've never, ever, seen an ATM like that (although admittedly for the first ten years or so cash dispensing machines simply didn't exist); things might be different up north of course, but Geneva does not have exotica such as you're describing.

To change large amounts of coins you either have to make up and fill paper tubes for the various denominations, count it into small plastic bags or beg the person behind the counter to run it through a machine hidden out the back somewhere!

@dodgyken; at the end of a particularly difficult month I was once reduced to paying for my Saturday shopping using a load of small coins (all within the legal tender limits) and was told in no uncertain terms by the till lady to not even think of doing it again!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.04.2015, 15:19
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,369
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,886 Times in 2,673 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
In 35 years here I've never, ever, seen an ATM like that (although admittedly for the first ten years or so cash dispensing machines simply didn't exist); things might be different up north of course, but Geneva does not have exotica such as you're describing.
Maybe it is a northern thing, we have one at our bank in Baden, we use it regularly to dispose of coins. The amount goes straight into our account and the machine gives us a receipt.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14.04.2015, 11:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 35
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
dannyb1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing up coins

UBS have a machine in the Zug branch that automatically changes it up & deposits it in your account.. problem solved!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.04.2015, 11:48
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,768
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,703 Times in 4,142 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Anyone know of a UBS branch in the Basel area that has one?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14.04.2015, 12:28
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,020
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,935 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
I simply made sure I fed the parking meeting and tram machines with 10/20/50rpn coins - and had the right change in Migros/COOP - mainly with the piles of 5rpn coins I had.

I would leave the house with around 10chf in coins - 1,2,5chf coins and then the rest in smaller coins.
Same here.

The coins are in my pocket, never in the wallet. Every once in a while (preferrably before the bulge gets too big) I pay my lunch sandwich with coins, or the newspaper, etc.

For me the trick is:
With just a few items one should easily be able to compute the total in the head and get the amount while you wait in the line - got nothing better to do anyway at that time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 14.04.2015, 12:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zürich
Posts: 61
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Flatrate has no particular reputation at present
Re: Changing up coins

ZKB (Zurcher Kantonalbank) also have a machine which takes all your coins (incl. 5rp) and credits your account. Very convenient.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14.04.2015, 13:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 28
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
swamp rat has become a little unpopularswamp rat has become a little unpopular
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
In 35 years here I've never, ever, seen an ATM like that (although admittedly for the first ten years or so cash dispensing machines simply didn't exist); things might be different up north of course, but Geneva does not have exotica such as you're describing.
Come over to the light side! In Lausanne, BCV has two in the bank of ATM's at the St Francis main building
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14.04.2015, 15:42
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,381
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,179 Times in 706 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
Come over to the light side! In Lausanne, BCV has two in the bank of ATM's at the St Francis main building
I went in to check out those machines last week to see if I could just dump my coins in "en vrac" or if they had to be rolled. It turned out to be irrelevant because those machines only credit an existing BCV account, i.e. they don't spit out money.

I'll stop in the two main Credit Suisse branches this week to see if they have one and report back.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14.04.2015, 16:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mitteland
Posts: 98
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 51 Times in 31 Posts
kaciak is considered knowledgeablekaciak is considered knowledgeablekaciak is considered knowledgeable
Re: Changing up coins

Some Raiffeisen Branch also has this automatic coin changer.
I think they'll count based on the weight of the coins.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14.04.2015, 16:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 28
Groaned at 3 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
swamp rat has become a little unpopularswamp rat has become a little unpopular
Re: Changing up coins

Quote:
View Post
I went in to check out those machines last week to see if I could just dump my coins in "en vrac" or if they had to be rolled. It turned out to be irrelevant because those machines only credit an existing BCV account, i.e. they don't spit out money.

I'll stop in the two main Credit Suisse branches this week to see if they have one and report back.
Ah yeah, should have mentioned that. To note, they dont need the coins to be separated or rolled or even in the right currency. Just dump it all in, recover the rejects, dump the rejects back in, repeat several times before realizing that all the rejects are euros.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank swamp rat for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 15.04.2015, 14:00
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,381
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,179 Times in 706 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Changing up coins

Ok, the main Credit Suisse branch on Rue Pichard in Lausanne has a coin machine. It credits your account. As you walk in the lobby, it is the furthest one on the right. It accepts coins in bulk, unsorted.

It spits back out any errant euros as well as any silver coins. I got back a 1969 1/2 franc. Wasn't there another thread on these solid silver coins?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 Rappen coins Ormsby Daily life 12 24.10.2014 21:31
Setting up nursery: WANTED-- Changing table & wardrobe Archi Items wanted 1 15.09.2012 13:25
L permit changing to B permit and Changing jobs - Please help maddy Permits/visas/government 2 16.08.2007 09:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0