Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: landed in Zurich...
Posts: 63
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
babel has earned some respectbabel has earned some respect
pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Hello "again" English Forum Family....

We have received different pink slips for payments,... for the travelling card, for the new apartment first month payment, for the gym my husband wants to join...and we haven't discovered yet how to do either online payment or go to a bank with it and pay by credit card or transferring accounts...

Basically, we don't know how to make those payments? Any explanation on how to perform these rituals?

The pink slips have like 2 or 3 sections: empfangsschein/recepisse/ricevuta - Einzahlung Giro -versement... I guess we take it to a bank and they stamp on it after the paoyment?

And? Can the payment be done by credit card in the bank?

It is all so new! And today I am dealing with all at once!

Thank you for your advise!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
Hello "again" English Forum Family....

We have received different pink slips for payments,... for the travelling card, for the new apartment first month payment, for the gym my husband wants to join...and we haven't discovered yet how to do either online payment or go to a bank with it and pay by credit card or transferring accounts...

Basically, we don't know how to make those payments? Any explanation on how to perform these rituals?

The pink slips have like 2 or 3 sections: empfangsschein/recepisse/ricevuta - Einzahlung Giro -versement... I guess we take it to a bank and they stamp on it after the paoyment?

And? Can the payment be done by credit card in the bank?

It is all so new! And today I am dealing with all at once!

Thank you for your advise!
The EF search function provides....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:32
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,240 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Option one: In any post office using good ol' cash.
Option two: Using your on-line banking from Swiss bank.
Option three: In a bank branch where you have an account. Sometimes, they have special machines which can be used.
Not an option: Bank counter. But they may help you with using the machine.

I think those are the options these days. Some banks had a paper and envelope option. Maybe they still have it for the old people which have no computer and no easy access to a bank branch.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: landed in Zurich...
Posts: 63
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
babel has earned some respectbabel has earned some respect
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
Option one: In any post office using good ol' cash.
Option two: Using your on-line banking from Swiss bank.
Option three: In a bank branch where you have an account. Sometimes, they have special machines which can be used.
Not an option: Bank counter. But they may help you with using the machine.

I think those are the options these days. Some banks had a paper and envelope option. Maybe they still have it for the old people which have no computer and no easy access to a bank branch.
Hello and thanks! Great help there! But...can't we pay at all by card at the post office? I mean...we need to make a payment of more than 5,000 chf for the deposit...how one walks to the post office with all that cash in the pocket?

And can it be done online from a british bank? I am even more puzzled.

Thanks in advance! We happen to have to make one of these slip payments by Thursday!


Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:42
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post


Hello and thanks! Great help there! But...can't we pay at all by card at the post office? I mean...we need to make a payment of more than 5,000 chf for the deposit...how one walks to the post office with all that cash in the pocket?

And can it be done online from a british bank? I am even more puzzled.

Thanks in advance! We happen to have to make one of these slip payments by Thursday!


Thanks!

Where's the problem?


The biggest cash payment I ever made in a post office was 50K. Not an eyebrow was raised.


However, online banking may be more advisable in normal situations.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: landed in Zurich...
Posts: 63
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
babel has earned some respectbabel has earned some respect
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
Where's the problem?


The biggest cash payment I ever made in a post office was 50K. Not an eyebrow was raised.


However, online banking may be more advisable in normal situations.
Hi amogles, and thanks. Here the problem:

Our CH bank isn't yet operational.
We can't withdraw 5000 chf from an atm on our credit or debit british cards, and to tell you the truth plastic or normal online payments is to what we are used to.

And, again, we could only make a payment online from our British bank account...unless we can pay using credit card or debit card at the bank or post office

BTW, our slip is ORANGE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: landed in Zurich...
Posts: 63
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
babel has earned some respectbabel has earned some respect
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Hi again....i forgot to specify that our payment slip is ORANGE not pinkish.... any possibility that this means payment by credit card is possible?

Thanks aswissintheis!
Quote:
View Post
Option one: In any post office using good ol' cash.
Option two: Using your on-line banking from Swiss bank.
Option three: In a bank branch where you have an account. Sometimes, they have special machines which can be used.
Not an option: Bank counter. But they may help you with using the machine.

I think those are the options these days. Some banks had a paper and envelope option. Maybe they still have it for the old people which have no computer and no easy access to a bank branch.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.09.2015, 18:58
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,143
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,731 Times in 9,480 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
Hi again....i forgot to specify that our payment slip is ORANGE not pinkish.... any possibility that this means payment by credit card is possible?
No.

Payments are either by cash, or from a bank account, never by credit card.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 22.09.2015, 19:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: landed in Zurich...
Posts: 63
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
babel has earned some respectbabel has earned some respect
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
No.

Payments are either by cash, or from a bank account, never by credit card.

Tom
Thank you Tom! Do you think that we could ask the real estate company for the account number IBAN et cetera and do a international transfer instead? The most important payment is for the real estate agency for our new apartment, and we need to pay it soon. Could we pay with international online transfer if they were to have and give us the account number? And disregard the orange slip payment?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.09.2015, 19:09
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,382
Groaned at 20 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,179 Times in 706 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

If all your money is in a UK bank account, you need to call or write to them asap, explain that you now live in Switzerland and you need your daily debit card limit raised. Also, we were able to access some money on the very day that we opened our Credit Suisse account, so that should only take one day once you get on the ball and open a Swiss account.

I think you will find Switzerland to be very much a cash country as opposed to cards. As others have said, it's really nothing to withdraw 1,000's of francs from an ATM at a time or to pay for a bottle of water with a 200 fr bill.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.09.2015, 19:16
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you Tom! Do you think that we could ask the real estate company for the account number IBAN et cetera and do a international transfer instead? The most important payment is for the real estate agency for our new apartment, and we need to pay it soon. Could we pay with international online transfer if they were to have and give us the account number? And disregard the orange slip payment?

Thank you!
Yes probably - that's what I did for the first payment.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.09.2015, 19:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you Tom! Do you think that we could ask the real estate company for the account number IBAN et cetera and do a international transfer instead? The most important payment is for the real estate agency for our new apartment, and we need to pay it soon. Could we pay with international online transfer if they were to have and give us the account number? And disregard the orange slip payment?

Thank you!
That should be possible if your landlord agrees to a standing order from the UK, but as the poster above me says, if any other payments need to be made in CH, you need your limit raised.

Perhaps I missed it, but have you considered opening an account in CH to avoid this?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.09.2015, 19:25
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

You probably also want to work out your cash flows for the first few months - maybe pay your rent for a couple of months and the deposit in one transfer, as that will save fees and allow you to build up a CHF balance once your bank account is open and salary flowing.

But if you're bringing money over in any significant amount, one of the online transfer companies will be much more cost effective. It can take a few days to set up an account.

Currency Fair seems to be favourite at the moment: xe.com money transfers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.09.2015, 21:54
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,240 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you Tom! Do you think that we could ask the real estate company for the account number IBAN et cetera and do a international transfer instead? The most important payment is for the real estate agency for our new apartment, and we need to pay it soon. Could we pay with international online transfer if they were to have and give us the account number? And disregard the orange slip payment?

Thank you!
Uh, Orange, it is the same as Pink (except the Orange ones have "Reference No." which allows to automatically associate your payment ). Sometimes you can find the IBAN of the recipient on the slip. If not ask for IBAN and BIC of your landlord. Just look that they do not get charged any fees as it is a GBP to CHF transfer which is not covered by SEPA.
If you use the IBAN on the slip, let them now that you intend to pay directly, and use the reference number as "Reason for payment".

Last edited by aSwissInTheUS; 22.09.2015 at 22:49.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22.09.2015, 22:08
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,485
Groaned at 47 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,215 Times in 867 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

I had the same problem before I moved here, I had to pay the depost and first months rent before I even had a bank account and even going to HSBC (who say they are international experts) and USB in Manchester (which, to be fair was investment bank not a normal bank but none of the staff had a clue), asking on EF, asking for the IBAN and BIC from the agency, no dice. What happened eventually is I asked the secratary at work what to do, she asked me to transfer the money to her personal account and send her the slip and she would pay it. Very fraught couple of days but it worked.
Not sure if it is advisable, but it's what I did.
When I moved, 2 hours later I was in the gemainde registering, 4 hours later in the postoffice opening an account, 6 hours in Swisscom and Orange getting phones and internet set up (Although the internet took weeks) so I could start with internet banking. Then I bought bread, milk and wine. Basically, banking is more important than food.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MsWorWoo for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 22.09.2015, 22:21
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,373
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,381 Times in 10,070 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

As a French/English bilingual - the title really makes me laugh, ahaha

Last edited by Odile; 22.09.2015 at 23:19.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 22.09.2015, 22:44
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,381
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

You should be able to do an international transfer for your rent. But do they not want you to set up a special account for the deposit/bond?

Get a Swiss account opened pronto and transfer some money over. Meanwhile talk to landlord/agency and organise to do an international payment for the rent.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 22.09.2015, 22:51
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,240 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
As a Frenc/English bilingual - the title really makes me laugh, ahaha
Knowing some U.S.-English gives you two other laughs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 22.09.2015, 23:11
FunnyBone's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Earth
Posts: 496
Groaned at 24 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 709 Times in 326 Posts
FunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond reputeFunnyBone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

Quote:
View Post
As a Frenc/English bilingual - the title really makes me laugh, ahaha
Quote:
View Post
Knowing some U.S.-English gives you two other laughs.
But Odile got me curious. What is it in French?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22.09.2015, 23:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,373
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,381 Times in 10,070 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pink slips for payments... how do they work?

un slip = knickers

so paying bills with your pink knickers
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do Swiss traffic fines work and how do you argue it? Tonino Transportation/driving 22 17.01.2013 11:50
Linkedin - how do they link? bigblue2 General off-topic 6 03.11.2010 16:10
Those incredible cozy and comfortable to be with men ... how do they do this?!! Sada General off-topic 32 08.07.2010 22:44
Diet Pills do they really work? Swissinfo Family matters/health 27 24.02.2010 09:53
Swiss bread - how do they manage??? BP-SCHULZ Complaints corner 72 09.01.2009 10:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0