Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Finance/banking/taxation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.10.2016, 13:26
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: the middle of lake geneva
Posts: 153
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
josquius has no particular reputation at present
Person to person loans

Not something I am actually planning on doing any time soon but I've come to wonder about the issue of person to person loans.
Does anyone know, in Switzerland is there a system in place for doing this?
i.e. if I want to loan my friend 2,000 chf for a month or two (no interest), some document we could sign so it's all official? - I'd trust the person not to run away with my money but given the large amounts involved it would probably be best to keep it all recorded just in case they turn out to be the sort of evil person who would sacrifice friendship over a modest sum or they get hit by a truck

Or am I completely imagining that this sort of thing would exist in any country?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 29.10.2016, 13:34
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,969
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,201 Times in 2,901 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
Not something I am actually planning on doing any time soon but I've come to wonder about the issue of person to person loans.
Does anyone know, in Switzerland is there a system in place for doing this?
i.e. if I want to loan my friend 2,000 chf for a month or two (no interest), some document we could sign so it's all official? - I'd trust the person not to run away with my money but given the large amounts involved it would probably be best to keep it all recorded just in case they turn out to be the sort of evil person who would sacrifice friendship over a modest sum or they get hit by a truck

Or am I completely imagining that this sort of thing would exist in any country?
Write a contract. For German, google "vertrag für persönliche darlehn" I'm not sure what you would call it in French.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JagWaugh for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 29.10.2016, 17:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,018
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,741 Times in 1,935 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
Not something I am actually planning on doing any time soon but I've come to wonder about the issue of person to person loans.
Does anyone know, in Switzerland is there a system in place for doing this?
i.e. if I want to loan my friend 2,000 chf for a month or two (no interest), some document we could sign so it's all official? - I'd trust the person not to run away with my money but given the large amounts involved it would probably be best to keep it all recorded just in case they turn out to be the sort of evil person who would sacrifice friendship over a modest sum or they get hit by a truck

Or am I completely imagining that this sort of thing would exist in any country?
There's nothing official about a personal loan, but having a contract is clearly a good idea. See for instance this template.

With that said, in my experience personal loans have a high probability of turning at least partially sour so if you're not willing to write it off you need to be ready to sue. In the latter case, if the debtor lacks the means you not only have to write off the original loan but also the cost sue'ing brings.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 29.10.2016, 18:09
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,471
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,488 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Would be a good idea to have the document signed by both parties in front of a public notary who can also sign the document. Would make it more official and probably give you better grounds for taking the other party to court if they do default on the repayment.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.10.2016, 18:12
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,715
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,027 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
Would be a good idea to have the document signed by both parties in front of a public notary who can also sign the document. Would make it more official and probably give you better grounds for taking the other party to court if they do default on the repayment.
It's really not going to make any difference, a contract is a contract.
I doubt a notary would sign the contract as he is not a party to it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29.10.2016, 18:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 583
Groaned at 35 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 338 Times in 221 Posts
ivank has no particular reputation at present
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
Would be a good idea to have the document signed by both parties in front of a public notary who can also sign the document. Would make it more official and probably give you better grounds for taking the other party to court if they do default on the repayment.
That will only add to the costs but won't really matter. At best, the notary would check your IDs and certify that you're dealing with who you think you're dealing with. But if you're willing to give the loan, you know that already, right? For the court you merely need to provide proofs of the debt, that's all. So make a written contract, pay by bank transfer, keep receipts. Especially bank transfer would be a strong argument in the court.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ivank for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 29.10.2016, 18:22
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,969
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,201 Times in 2,901 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
It's really not going to make any difference, a contract is a contract.
I doubt a notary would sign the contract as he is not a party to it.
I think that the notary will sign it to attest that it was signed by both parties.

The contract is only really of use in three ways:

1) It sets down in text the amount lent, and the terms of repayment (eliminating misunderstandings afterward).

2) It documents the loan formally, so that in the event of one party passing on the other has something in hand when dealing with whoever is handling the estate.

3) If the other party decides to default a contract will probably make filling out a Betreibung easier.

If the other party decides to skip town and leave Switzerland the contract probably won't help much in recovering the full amount, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.
__________________
If everyone you know agrees with you consistently, they are either not listening, or not capable of critical thought.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29.10.2016, 18:26
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,706
Groaned at 482 Times in 292 Posts
Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,959 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
Would be a good idea to have the document signed by both parties in front of a public notary who can also sign the document. Would make it more official and probably give you better grounds for taking the other party to court if they do default on the repayment.

.....for Chf 2k ?????

If the guy isn't going to pay back, then no amount of contracts will resolve this, only a lengthy judicial process which will cost more than Chf 2k may getr the $$ back.

Either you are comfortable with it and go ahead or you are not and don't go ahead in situations like this.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 29.10.2016, 19:02
Slaphead's Avatar
Moderato espressivo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,142
Groaned at 40 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 8,991 Times in 2,758 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
.....for Chf 2k ?????

If the guy isn't going to pay back, then no amount of contracts will resolve this, only a lengthy judicial process which will cost more than Chf 2k may getr the $$ back.

Either you are comfortable with it and go ahead or you are not and don't go ahead in situations like this.
I tend to agree. Never lend an amount that you can't afford to write off.

Ask yourself this - if the guy runs off with the 2k and you never see him again, was it worth the 2k to ensure you never see him again?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Slaphead for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 29.10.2016, 20:20
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,242 Times in 5,007 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
It's really not going to make any difference, a contract is a contract.
I doubt a notary would sign the contract as he is not a party to it.
A notary signed our house purchase contract. He's an official witness to the contract.

Last edited by NotAllThere; 29.10.2016 at 20:56.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 29.10.2016, 20:24
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,715
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,027 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
A notary signed our house purchase contractor. He's an official witness to the contract.
Thats because he has to in CH......... as you can't buy / sell property without the services of a notary, he has to confirm that everybody understands what they are signing.

In the UK there is no requirement to use a solicitor for house purchase, the land registry was set up over a 100 years ago to make it easy
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29.10.2016, 20:40
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,706
Groaned at 482 Times in 292 Posts
Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,959 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
A notary signed our house purchase contractor. He's an official witness to the contract.
Whee do you buy houses for Chf 2k in Switzerland ?

I'll take 50 please.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 29.10.2016, 21:00
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,242 Times in 5,007 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

FMF said that a notary wouldn't sign a contract as he wouldn't be party to. This, in my opinion, isn't correct. My example shows that being party to the contract isn't an issue. In my case or that mooted in this thread, the notary would sign as an official witness.

Of course, he may well charge you >2K for the privilege!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30.10.2016, 11:36
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: the middle of lake geneva
Posts: 153
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
josquius has no particular reputation at present
Re: Person to person loans

So if I'm getting this right such things exist but practically only for BIG money agreements?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30.10.2016, 11:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,715
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,027 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
So if I'm getting this right such things exist but practically only for BIG money agreements?
Only for the transfer of land or buildings, where its a legal requirement in CH to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30.10.2016, 12:11
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,969
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,201 Times in 2,901 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Person to person loans

Quote:
View Post
Only for the transfer of land or buildings, where its a legal requirement in CH to do so.
Notariat don't just do real estate or expensive stuff. Some of the stuff you submit of marriage or aufenthalt permits needs to be notarized.

I would guess a signature would be something in the order of 200 CHF, possibly less.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Necessary permits to employ a EU person oreneta Permits/visas/government 0 06.07.2012 21:05
Young person moving to Basel katobasel Introductions 2 02.06.2011 01:34
Person-to-person small claims process Zass Finance/banking/taxation 5 17.05.2011 10:22
Person to write Training Manual Needed evilshell Jobs wanted 0 03.01.2008 15:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0