Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.10.2012, 09:53
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: n/a
Posts: 120
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
atamar has made some interesting contributions
Vietnamese coffee?

Has anyone spotted Vietnamese coffee, in a store (Basel-Zurich axis) or even online in the EU? I'm running low on my reserves and need to restock.

Looks like Trung Nguyen varieties are available in .de online stores, but I'd like to support smaller producers/growers/distributors, and whole beans would be nice. (At least there's a backup option.)

Cheers,
//ata
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.10.2012, 10:42
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Finger Lickin' Good
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Olten
Posts: 9,806
Groaned at 513 Times in 327 Posts
Thanked 10,726 Times in 4,393 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

This place might have it. It is the biggest importer of Asian food items in Switzerland and every Saturday, people flock there from all over Switzerland to do their groceries and eat Pho. (They only cook authentic food on Saturdays)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lost_inbroad for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 18.10.2012, 10:48
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Rainy has earned some respectRainy has earned some respect
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone spotted Vietnamese coffee, in a store (Basel-Zurich axis) or even online in the EU? I'm running low on my reserves and need to restock.

Looks like Trung Nguyen varieties are available in .de online stores, but I'd like to support smaller producers/growers/distributors, and whole beans would be nice. (At least there's a backup option.)

Cheers,
//ata
Hi Try Asiaway, supermarket and resto in the Oerlikon(part of Zurich). They hve a website,so you can find tel. number to call and ask and to get their address. I love VN coffee, nd I didn't relaize you need a special blend.I thought it was just the process, with that little guzmo which sits on your cup and lets the coffee drip through and then just adding condensed milk. The resto there is excellent and I know, because my husband is VN. Good Luck. Rainy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 18.10.2012, 10:53
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 5,184
Groaned at 59 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Vietnamese coffee with the faint aroma of Agent Orange
Reply With Quote
This user groans at grynch for this post:
  #5  
Old 18.10.2012, 10:55
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7,777
Groaned at 241 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 9,319 Times in 3,978 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
Vietnamese coffee with the faint aroma of Agent Orange
.... as served at the Hanoi Hilton.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 18.10.2012, 10:57
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 7,965
Groaned at 153 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 19,322 Times in 5,261 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

I don't think you need a special blend (if you buy beans you obviously aren't getting a blend) to make the vietnamese (or Thai) style coffee with condensed milk.

Even Spain has a version (called a "bonbon") which is a layer of thick condensed milk in a shot glass, topped by an espresso.

However, what Vietnamese coffee is relatively famous for is when it's ground and blended with chickory. I have some of this and it's tasty! It was originally done to cheapen the brew (hickory is cheaper than coffee) but the taste somehow stuck and became popular.

That's my understanding, anyway.

Last edited by adrianlondon; 18.10.2012 at 13:53. Reason: hickory chickory cock
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.10.2012, 13:19
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,933
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 4,428 Times in 2,054 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
I don't think you need a special blend (if you buy beans you obviously aren't getting a blend) to make the vietnamese (or Thai) style coffee with condensed milk.

Even Spain has a version (called a "bonbon") which is a layer of thick condensed milk in a shot glass, topped by an espresso.

However, what Vietnamese coffee is relatively famous for is when it's ground and blended with hickory. I have some of this and it's tasty! It was originally done to cheapen the brew (hickory is cheaper than coffee) but the taste somehow stuck and became popular.

That's my understanding, anyway.
Do you mean hickory like the wood or chicory as in the vegetable. New Orleans coffee often contains chicory.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.10.2012, 13:46
ToothCentral's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chur
Posts: 440
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 189 Times in 124 Posts
ToothCentral is considered knowledgeableToothCentral is considered knowledgeableToothCentral is considered knowledgeable
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Chicory is a coffee substitute http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute

tho beans roasted with Hickory wood, might be interesting mmm got me thinkin' BBQ on such a beautiful day
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ToothCentral for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 18.10.2012, 13:52
speakeron's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 561
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 467 Times in 236 Posts
speakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond reputespeakeron has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
I don't think you need a special blend (if you buy beans you obviously aren't getting a blend) to make the vietnamese (or Thai) style coffee with condensed milk.

Even Spain has a version (called a "bonbon") which is a layer of thick condensed milk in a shot glass, topped by an espresso.

However, what Vietnamese coffee is relatively famous for is when it's ground and blended with hickory. I have some of this and it's tasty! It was originally done to cheapen the brew (hickory is cheaper than coffee) but the taste somehow stuck and became popular.

That's my understanding, anyway.
Beans are often sold as a blend. (e.g. espresso blends that may be 90/10 arabica/robusta). And you probably mean chicory rather than hickory; which is popular in India and South East Asia. There's an old brand of coffee with chicory from Britain (Camp Coffee) which I remember drinking as a kid (before I knew what espresso was...).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 18.10.2012, 14:22
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7,777
Groaned at 241 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 9,319 Times in 3,978 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
Chicory is a coffee substitute http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute

tho beans roasted with Hickory wood, might be interesting mmm got me thinkin' BBQ on such a beautiful day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8JmFfeY#t=176s
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.10.2012, 14:29
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,104
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,050 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

They sell chicory coffee here. Is that the "vietnamese coffee" that the OP is looking for?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13.11.2012, 21:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thun
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vietnamesemom has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
This place might have it. It is the biggest importer of Asian food items in Switzerland and every Saturday, people flock there from all over Switzerland to do their groceries and eat Pho. (They only cook authentic food on Saturdays)
Thank you for the information! I must go there 1 saturday for PHO!
By the way, i am going to vietnam this december. Anyone want trung nguyen coffee? I may bring some bags
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13.11.2012, 22:02
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 282
Groaned at 34 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 272 Times in 132 Posts
stubborn has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Cafe Royal in Winterthur.

http://www.royalcoffee.ch

I used to buy it there at lot. The price is about 14 CHF for a kilo of arabica. They also have special blends called Victoria (but was very expensive). The guy who sells is also very nice.

The shop must be still there, have not been there for couple of months.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank stubborn for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 13.11.2012, 23:40
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,104
Groaned at 74 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 5,844 Times in 3,050 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for the information! I must go there 1 saturday for PHO!
By the way, i am going to vietnam this december. Anyone want trung nguyen coffee? I may bring some bags
Yes please. Can you bring the little coffee filter and glass as well? (Is that cheeky of me to ask?)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13.11.2012, 23:54
Roestigraben's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 544
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 359 Times in 198 Posts
Roestigraben has earned some respectRoestigraben has earned some respect
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
I don't think you need a special blend (if you buy beans you obviously aren't getting a blend) to make the vietnamese (or Thai) style coffee with condensed milk.
I used to go to a Vietnamese restaurant in town just for this coffee with condensed milk you speak off...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Roestigraben for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 15.11.2012, 00:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thun
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vietnamesemom has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
I used to go to a Vietnamese restaurant in town just for this coffee with condensed milk you speak off...
Hmm, i miss that kind of coffee so much. Sometimes i just bought condensed milk to make coffee myself at home and drank alone, as my husband - also a Roesti - maybe your relative - doesn't like it
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Vietnamesemom for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 15.11.2012, 01:14
Roestigraben's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 544
Groaned at 21 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 359 Times in 198 Posts
Roestigraben has earned some respectRoestigraben has earned some respect
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
Hmm, i miss that kind of coffee so much. Sometimes i just bought condensed milk to make coffee myself at home and drank alone, as my husband - also a Roesti - maybe your relative - doesn't like it
Nah, family is from Europe but I'm not an Eidgenosse...I picked the name Roesti, as that's where I think I would want to live in CH, somewhere like Freibourg, or Jura Bernois.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 15.11.2012, 01:19
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: n/a
Posts: 120
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
atamar has made some interesting contributions
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Sorry, not chicory, and espresso with condensed milk won't do either. (Espresso is reserved for when I'm out of viet. And no, not Lavazza or Starbucks. Could be dioxin. Or maybe heroin, it's that addictive.

Actually, as far as I know, it's the roasting that's bit tricky: slow roast, with butter (or oil?), sugar, and yes, some sort of spice. A purist would surely be mortified. Some roasters throw in at least vanilla, and I have heard chicory mentioned before. Still not the same as chicory coffee, though.

Thanks all, I'll see if I can't find something based on this. VietnameseMom, if you were to bring some Trung Nguyen #4, I'd gladly buy 5 bags off you. (That was the favorite grocery store make from the pretty comprehensive sampler set we got on our visit. But whatever non-branded stuff every roadside shack brewed was frankly the best...)

Last edited by atamar; 15.11.2012 at 01:24. Reason: A word
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 23.11.2012, 12:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thun
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vietnamesemom has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
Yes please. Can you bring the little coffee filter and glass as well? (Is that cheeky of me to ask?)
Haha, we have the filter already, glasses we have a lot! So maybe you can join us one time to know the real taste of vietnamese filtered coffee?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 23.11.2012, 12:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Thun
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vietnamesemom has no particular reputation at present
Re: Vietnamese coffee?

Quote:
View Post
Sorry, not chicory, and espresso with condensed milk won't do either. (Espresso is reserved for when I'm out of viet. And no, not Lavazza or Starbucks. Could be dioxin. Or maybe heroin, it's that addictive.

Actually, as far as I know, it's the roasting that's bit tricky: slow roast, with butter (or oil?), sugar, and yes, some sort of spice. A purist would surely be mortified. Some roasters throw in at least vanilla, and I have heard chicory mentioned before. Still not the same as chicory coffee, though.

Thanks all, I'll see if I can't find something based on this. VietnameseMom, if you were to bring some Trung Nguyen #4, I'd gladly buy 5 bags off you. (That was the favorite grocery store make from the pretty comprehensive sampler set we got on our visit. But whatever non-branded stuff every roadside shack brewed was frankly the best...)
Ok, i will bring you 5 bags number 4! Just pm me your address
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C-Aufenthalter bringing in Vietnamese Fiancée VocalID Permits/visas/government 2 24.07.2012 15:39
Australian Vietnamese moving to Dubendorf Cosse Introductions 4 25.01.2012 23:02
Vietnamese Summer Rolls Me Myself & I Food and drink 8 20.02.2010 18:15
Vietnamese restaurant by Zurich HB Phos Entertainment & dining 0 15.04.2009 12:43
Vietnamese pho soup? Destiny Entertainment & dining 2 18.06.2006 20:28


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0