Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.08.2014, 23:11
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

This isn't the most original recipe. However, I recently started making chili with chickpeas instead of red beans (or with similar heavy beans like borlotti beans). It happened because I did not have the right can of beans not because of cooking genius, which I certainly lack. But IMO chickpeas make the best chili ever - the chili is lighter because chickpeas are light, and the chickpeas get a delicious peppery flavor that they don't normally have.

Here's my recipe. It is 15 mins from opening the fridge door to serving, given a bit of practice.

Use a reasonable size stockpot pan
- Pour in olive oil
- Chop and heat an onion, medium heat to coat it with oil and start to cook it, not to brown it
- Add crushed garlic
- Add vegetables e.g. this evening I added chopped zucchini and chopped yellow pepper
- Stir and heat
- Add - turmeric, curry powder, cayenne, paprika, ginger (real chopped ginger is certainly the best taste)
- Stir and heat
- Add mince and stir to brown - I buy Migros bio mince beef which comes in 0.3kg packs for CHF 6.5
- Chop up tomatoes and add them. Here's another Migros plug but Migros 'Tomaten Aromatico' are delicious when you find them
- Add soy sauce
- Make sure that everything is simmering, then put on a lid with a low simmering heat
- Sometimes I buy a pack of parsley and chop it and stir it in for the simmering

I normally take a first portion of chili to eat as soon as it is simmered through, and I keep the pan on the heat, and keep going back for more portions. I always arrive at the bottom of the pan... It also makes a good meal for two with side vegetables.

It might not look like 15 mins from fridge to plate but it is when you have practice. Having good quality spices makes a huge difference in my experience - it's worth getting the best that you can find. Does anyone have tips about good shops for quality spices in the big Z, beyond the regular supermarket offerings? (I buy organic spices online, but would rather find a good local source, and not convinced that Coop and Migros are so good on spices).
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank peebix for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 01.09.2014, 15:56
Me Myself & I's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Züri
Posts: 1,007
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 341 Posts
Me Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond reputeMe Myself & I has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hope to give it a go some day.

I buy my Indian spices at:

AGGARWALs AG
Kernstrasse 27
8004 Zürich
http://www.aggarwal.ch/shop3.php

It's just off Langstrasse close to Helvetiaplatz.

Or there's also:
Barkat Cash & Carry GmbH
Birmensdorferstrasse 141-143
8003 Zürich (Schmiede Wiedikon)
http://www.barkat.ch/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Me Myself & I for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.09.2014, 16:53
gata's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Geneva
Posts: 3,511
Groaned at 72 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,484 Posts
gata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond reputegata has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Quote:
View Post
This isn't the most original recipe. However, I recently started making chili with chickpeas instead of red beans (or with similar heavy beans like borlotti beans). It happened because I did not have the right can of beans not because of cooking genius, which I certainly lack. But IMO chickpeas make the best chili ever - the chili is lighter because chickpeas are light, and the chickpeas get a delicious peppery flavor that they don't normally have.

Here's my recipe. It is 15 mins from opening the fridge door to serving, given a bit of practice.

Use a reasonable size stockpot pan
- Pour in olive oil
- Chop and heat an onion, medium heat to coat it with oil and start to cook it, not to brown it
- Add crushed garlic
- Add vegetables e.g. this evening I added chopped zucchini and chopped yellow pepper
- Stir and heat
- Add - turmeric, curry powder, cayenne, paprika, ginger (real chopped ginger is certainly the best taste)
- Stir and heat
- Add mince and stir to brown - I buy Migros bio mince beef which comes in 0.3kg packs for CHF 6.5
- Chop up tomatoes and add them. Here's another Migros plug but Migros 'Tomaten Aromatico' are delicious when you find them
- Add soy sauce
- Make sure that everything is simmering, then put on a lid with a low simmering heat
- Sometimes I buy a pack of parsley and chop it and stir it in for the simmering

I normally take a first portion of chili to eat as soon as it is simmered through, and I keep the pan on the heat, and keep going back for more portions. I always arrive at the bottom of the pan... It also makes a good meal for two with side vegetables.

It might not look like 15 mins from fridge to plate but it is when you have practice. Having good quality spices makes a huge difference in my experience - it's worth getting the best that you can find. Does anyone have tips about good shops for quality spices in the big Z, beyond the regular supermarket offerings? (I buy organic spices online, but would rather find a good local source, and not convinced that Coop and Migros are so good on spices).

Im definitely trying that! Emm... When do you add the chickpeas?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.09.2014, 17:47
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Quote:
View Post
Im definitely trying that! Emm... When do you add the chickpeas?
Heh, I won't get the call to be a TV chef anytime soon - I add the chickpeas after the minced beef. The reason is that I make sure that the onions and vegetables are coated with olive oil and lightly cooked, then brown the mince, then the chickpeas can go in with the tomatoes at the end.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.09.2014, 17:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,143
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,732 Times in 9,480 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Why are you calling this chili, when it sounds like a curry and not at all like anything that I would refer to as chili?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01.09.2014, 18:04
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Because it's based on onions, minced beef, cayenne pepper and legumes, and looks like chili in a bowl. But I agree it's not quite a chili anymore - maybe more of a curli.

Last edited by peebix; 01.09.2014 at 18:27.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank peebix for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.09.2014, 18:28
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,143
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,732 Times in 9,480 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Quote:
View Post
Because it's based on onions, minced beef, cayenne pepper and legumes, and looks like chili in a bowl.
Real chile has no onions, legumes, or vegetables other than chiles (unless you want to consider garlic as a vegetable), equal parts by weight if fresh, 1:10-1:5 if using dried chiles.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.09.2014, 18:52
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

OK it's not a chili, it's a recipe. I can't edit the subject line at this stage though.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank peebix for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 06.10.2015, 00:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Migros sells frozen chickpeas now, and they are fabulous.
Look in your frozen veggie section
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank glowjupiter for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 06.10.2015, 09:53
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: 15 min tasty chili with chickpeas

Great tip, thanks. I buy the double packs of canned organic chick peas at Migros, but will happily give up the can recycling. I also noticed that Migros started selling frozen Johannisbeeren in the last couple of weeks and I got some of those. They are berry convenient.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank peebix for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: IKEA Couch, Chairs, Table (Pick-up in Uster, 15 min outside Zurich) lkparsons Items for sale 3 10.12.2013 10:31
what to do with bags and bags of chili peppers? rob1 Food and drink 15 30.08.2012 18:05
Wanted: 1.5-2.0/Oerlikon or 15-20 min commute richwinklesky Property wanted 2 07.05.2012 17:45
Prepaid SIM with min. 1GB data/month polar_panda TV/internet/telephone 3 05.07.2011 17:33
Nanny needed in Uster (15 min from Zürich) caliswiss Jobs wanted 1 27.03.2008 22:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0