Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.12.2014, 23:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: liverpool
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
leeh has no particular reputation at present
short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Hello (Gruezi),

I shall be visiting Been in February to see Young Boys v Everton so I am really excited with my first visit to the country.

I am very interested to fin places to have something nice to eat and a beer or two. So can you recommend some places, not too dear, just good honest home food and a chilled beer would be nice.

Hope a few people can find the time to respond, maybe even buy you a beer to say thank you.

Regards

Lee
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank leeh for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 19.12.2014, 00:30
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
I am very interested to fin places to have something nice to eat and a beer or two. So can you recommend some places, not too dear, just good honest home food and a chilled beer would be nice.
That's not really how it works here. I wish it did. Anyway, the nearest approximation to what you want is probably:

For English-style food and drink, try Mr. Pickwick or Nelson's.

Or you could try the Altes Tramdepot. It's a Swiss microbrewery which does good food and is near the historic old town and the bear pit.

You say "not too dear". That's not going to happen. Sorry.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jern for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 19.12.2014, 00:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: yh
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mag8 has no particular reputation at present
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Here's a long list of nice pubs.. all around Swiss.
Have fun !

http://www.expatica.com/ch/out-and-a...nd_105780.html
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19.12.2014, 11:04
AletschBub's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 82
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 41 Posts
AletschBub is considered knowledgeableAletschBub is considered knowledgeableAletschBub is considered knowledgeable
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

I can strongly endorse the recommendation of the Old Tramshed (Altes Tramdepot).

I had a great meal there a couple of months ago. It is a few minutes walk from the old town, in an elevated position, with great views over the city.

The food is good (I had calves liver and roesti) and there is a great selection of beer, much of it brewed on the premises.


Afterwards you can go and look at the bears.


While not cheap, it is certainly not expensive by Swiss standards.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AletschBub for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 19.12.2014, 11:14
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,296
Groaned at 107 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 14,219 Times in 5,025 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
That's not really how it works here. I wish it did. Anyway, the nearest approximation to what you want is probably:

For English-style food and drink, try Mr. Pickwick or Nelson's.

Or you could try the Altes Tramdepot. It's a Swiss microbrewery which does good food and is near the historic old town and the bear pit.

You say "not too dear". That's not going to happen. Sorry.
To be honest, avoid Pickwick and Nelson. Tram depot is a good shout; beer is good and the food is tasty, but a bit overpriced IMHO.
The Loetschberg restaurant does some really good röstis etc, as does the Anker (without the W ), where they also serve Egger beer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 19.12.2014, 20:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: liverpool
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
leeh has no particular reputation at present
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Many thanks for the feedback gents, much appreciated.

I am looking forward to having some local food and beer, especially the Bratwurst sausage....I always get one when the European Markets come to Liverpool each year so it will be lovely to see if the taste is better in Berne.

Is it roughly 6francs for a beer?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19.12.2014, 20:35
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
Is it roughly 6francs for a beer?
Only if you drink halves.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 19.12.2014, 21:08
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
Many thanks for the feedback gents, much appreciated.

I am looking forward to having some local food and beer, especially the Bratwurst sausage....I always get one when the European Markets come to Liverpool each year so it will be lovely to see if the taste is better in Berne.

Is it roughly 6francs for a beer?
Coming to the German-speaking part of Switzerland, sausages are optional (a bit German, to be honest), but rösti is obligatory.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19.12.2014, 21:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: liverpool
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
leeh has no particular reputation at present
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
Only if you drink halves.


So roughly £8 a pint. I think the local supermarket is going on my "to do" list
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19.12.2014, 21:53
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post


So roughly £8 a pint. I think the local supermarket is going on my "to do" list
Nah .... half litres = just less than a pint.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19.12.2014, 23:27
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 662
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 336 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Top marks for the greeting, but just to catch people out in this part of the world they say Grüessech.

A Beer in a bar won't be that cheap but most people have steered you in the right direction. One thing you might not be aware of is that most YB tickets include local public transport travel for before and after the game, so if you have it already take a look.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.12.2014, 09:12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 402
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 179 Posts
Sublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthy
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
One thing you might not be aware of is that most YB tickets include local public transport travel for before and after the game, so if you have it already take a look.
But only from 3 hours before the kick off and 2 hours after the end of the match!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.12.2014, 11:54
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
Top marks for the greeting, but just to catch people out in this part of the world they say Grüessech.

A Beer in a bar won't be that cheap but most people have steered you in the right direction. One thing you might not be aware of is that most YB tickets include local public transport travel for before and after the game, so if you have it already take a look.

The Intonation counts. So that it ought to be
Grüässäch
and should be spoken slowly, taking at least a minute
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 20.12.2014, 13:43
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: liverpool
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
leeh has no particular reputation at present
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Some good people on here, thanks for the feedback.

I see Rosti is a Bern dish traditionally eaten for breakfast (Wikipedia).....so rosti, walk by the bear pit, followed by a laugh or two whilst we go for a bratwurst.....lovely way to start my day. Breakfast done, Bear pit done, local delight done, then off to The Altes Tramdepot for some egger beer

Just a pitty I have to wait til February

The two ways to say hello will be on my language list, doesn't do any harm to be friendly...even if my Swiss is a bit Scouse
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank leeh for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 21.12.2014, 01:37
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,296
Groaned at 107 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 14,219 Times in 5,025 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
Only if you drink halves.
Jeez, where do you drink in Bern? I've never paid more than 9.- for a half litre in Bern.

Quote:
View Post


So roughly £8 a pint. I think the local supermarket is going on my "to do" list
Nowhere near, more like a fiver

Quote:
View Post
Some good people on here, thanks for the feedback.

I see Rosti is a Bern dish traditionally eaten for breakfast (Wikipedia).....so rosti, walk by the bear pit, followed by a laugh or two whilst we go for a bratwurst.....lovely way to start my day. Breakfast done, Bear pit done, local delight done, then off to The Altes Tramdepot for some egger beer

Just a pitty I have to wait til February

The two ways to say hello will be on my language list, doesn't do any harm to be friendly...even if my Swiss is a bit Scouse
They'll throw you out if you ask for Egger beer there; they brew their own. It's the Anker you want for Egger beer.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 21.12.2014, 12:08
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,579 Times in 5,411 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Also a thumbs up for the Altes Tramdepot, you could walk there after the match. It is about 2 km downhill, it might be quicker and easier than taking the tram and bus,

http://route.search.ch/d/tiwmtk0ng.h...efd969b0e6a344
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 21.12.2014, 12:14
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,978
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,579 Times in 5,411 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?



http://www.altestramdepot.ch/htm/e_speisekarte.htm

- but don't order the Bavarian sausages, they will be "Weisswürst" or boiled white sausages, not like a Bratwürst at all.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21.12.2014, 12:33
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
Some good people on here, thanks for the feedback.

I see Rosti is a Bern dish traditionally eaten for breakfast (Wikipedia).....so rosti, walk by the bear pit, followed by a laugh or two whilst we go for a bratwurst.....lovely way to start my day. Breakfast done, Bear pit done, local delight done, then off to The Altes Tramdepot for some egger beer

Just a pitty I have to wait til February

The two ways to say hello will be on my language list, doesn't do any harm to be friendly...even if my Swiss is a bit Scouse

Röschti in Bärn is eaten at ANY time of the day. So when travelling through Switzerland west to east you can have your apero in Nyon (chez Genève ) towards noon , some Röschti (mit Schpäck und Hamme und Zopf) or a BernerPlatte / BernesePlate in Bärn (or Langenthal or Biel), either one with some good wine from the Bielersee, an Oltner Bratwurscht in Olten, a portion of ZüriGschnetzlets in Zürich with some nice wine from the Zürisee and some Gugelhopf in Schaffhausen (Schaffuuse) with some Schaffhauser Blauburgunder plus a 2,5DL glass of Spätburgunder Weissherbst in Konstanz (close to Kreuzlingen).

Last edited by Wollishofener; 21.12.2014 at 13:06.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 21.12.2014, 14:42
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Quote:
View Post
Also a thumbs up for the Altes Tramdepot, you could walk there after the match. It is about 2 km downhill, it might be quicker and easier than taking the tram and bus,

http://route.search.ch/d/tiwmtk0ng.h...efd969b0e6a344
But don't even think about hailing a cab - crazy money.

By the way, if you want to eat at the Altes Tramdepot, you'll probably need to book.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.12.2014, 20:34
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: liverpool
Posts: 17
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
leeh has no particular reputation at present
Re: short visit to Bern, somewhere to eat and drink?

Thanks for your help and advice boys, great stuff...really made up I came across the forum as you have been really helpful.

Three of us are travelling over for the YB v Everton game so I thought I might as well find out about food and drink. We all love to try different food and drink so this forum has been gold dust.

Please don't spoil my thoughts from the beautiful pictures I have seen of Bern by telling me there's a McDonalds or Subway?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving from Vancouver to somewhere between Bern and Thun gdub Introductions 6 04.08.2014 20:19
Somewhere friendly to eat/drink on a Wednesday in Zurich jayo Entertainment & dining 0 02.11.2012 00:14
Visiting Dublin - What (not) to eat & drink there !! Sada General off-topic 43 17.02.2011 03:59
what to eat/drink after wisdom teeth out rackiec Daily life 25 25.09.2010 15:20
The cost of Beer tokens and kebabs (or how much to eat and drink) der_Inselaffe Other/general 3 21.05.2009 16:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:51.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0