Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.02.2015, 16:20
alessandrog's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
alessandrog has no particular reputation at present
Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Is it just me finding food in Zurich mediocre at best. I would consider myself a foodie and generally love good food. Leaving prices aside (don't get me started) am I the only one finding restaurant food here really disappointing? I am perhaps spoiled by London however I was expecting way more from Zurich. I have been out countless times here, so gave the place plenty of chances but have been very rarely pleasantly surprised. Can I suggest everyones posts a top 3 in Zurich (no matter which cuisine as anything will do...)
I'll start:
Widder (extremely expensive but the food was of a high standard)
Le Miracle (surprisingly good Italian)
Zeughauskeller (Out of desperation I had to go for this tourist joint as struggling to come up with a 3rd name)
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank alessandrog for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 01.02.2015, 16:23
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,168 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

You might find some gems hidden in one or more of these threads:

http://www.englishforum.ch/search2.p...taurant+zurich

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 01.02.2015, 16:24
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,384
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,646 Times in 12,100 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
I am perhaps spoiled by London
Number of restaurants in London: 17 343
Number of restaurants in Zurich: 1 404

Yes, you might have been somewhat spoilt by London.

*source = tripadvisor
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.02.2015, 16:28
alessandrog's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 4 Posts
alessandrog has no particular reputation at present
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
You might find some gems hidden in one or more of these threads:

http://www.englishforum.ch/search2.p...taurant+zurich

thank you 3Wishes, I will have a look but frankly I am starting to lose hope of finding a handful of decent places here...been to way too many restaurants by now to believe in miracles...but i'll check the link above, promise
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02.02.2015, 12:45
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Is it just me finding food in Zurich mediocre at best. I would consider myself a foodie and generally love good food. Leaving prices aside (don't get me started) am I the only one finding restaurant food here really disappointing? I am perhaps spoiled by London however I was expecting way more from Zurich. I have been out countless times here, so gave the place plenty of chances but have been very rarely pleasantly surprised. Can I suggest everyones posts a top 3 in Zurich (no matter which cuisine as anything will do...)
I'll start:
Widder (extremely expensive but the food was of a high standard)
Le Miracle (surprisingly good Italian)
Zeughauskeller (Out of desperation I had to go for this tourist joint as struggling to come up with a 3rd name)
As a "foodie" I would suggest the following restaurants:

1. Maison Manesse
2. Clouds (cook will leave in February)
3. Mesa

Some other nice restaurants I usually enjoy are Linde Oberstrass (traditional Swiss food), Scala (Nice Pizza), Tiffins ("Thai/Asian"), Stefs Freieck, Kaisers Reblaube or Hiltl (a la carte)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.02.2015, 13:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 788
Groaned at 87 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 1,206 Times in 549 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Compared to any other major city in the world, the choice for eating here is thin on the ground. So that takes out the competitiveness among restaurants, meaning they are often overpriced and of a half decent standard.


Saying that, there are good restaurants, its just finding them that takes a bit of work. I have started not to share my finds as they then become more popular and then its either harder to get a table or after few good reviews on Trip advisor they decide to put up the prices.

Quote:
View Post
Number of restaurants in London: 17 343
Number of restaurants in Zurich: 1 404

Yes, you might have been somewhat spoilt by London.

*source = tripadvisor


Apparently only three in ten restaurants make it past the first year in London!

Last edited by 3Wishes; 02.02.2015 at 15:51. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.02.2015, 13:41
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Compared to any other major city in the world, the choice for eating here is thin on the ground. So that takes out the competitiveness among restaurants, meaning they are often overpriced and of a half decent standard.


Saying that, there are good restaurants, its just finding them that takes a bit of work. I have started not to share my finds as they then become more popular and then its either harder to get a table or after few good reviews on Trip advisor they decide to put up the prices.
I wouldn't agree. If you e.g. compare the numbers of Restaurants in Zürich (1400) on Tripadvisor with Berlin (5800), Munich (2800), London (17000), Barcelona (6300), Milano (5000) or New York (12000) and compare it with the population of the City, the choice in Zurich doesn't look bad...

If you want another source take a look at the Guide Michelin, there is no other country in the world with such a high rate of Michelin star rated restaurants (again when compared with the overall population)...

But I guess tastes are really different, so it's hard to have a "objective" discussion about this topic...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank scipio for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 02.02.2015, 13:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,462
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,226 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

You can take guidance from

http://zuri.net/

Apparently, this one is quite good:

http://zuri.net/zurich/18241/restaurant_hermanseck.htm

but I've never been there myself.

Good restaurants are usually very expensive (as you saw from Widder - but that's really the top end).
Kronenhalle should be around the same standard, if you haven't tried (they have a dress-code and a no-mobile policy...).

If you're not price-sensitive, the restaurant at the Dolder is apparently also quite decent ;-)

Local (somewhat professional) reviews can be found here:
http://www.zueritipp.ch/gastro/aktuell/

For a cheap lunch that is quite decent, this one is good:
http://zuri.net/zurich/18089/restaur...chelangelo.htm
their pizza is nice.
As is this one here:
http://zuri.net/zurich/16975/pizzeria_grottino_77.htm
And especially at Grottino, at least you don't leave hungry!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.02.2015, 13:53
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,858
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Is it just me finding food in Zurich mediocre at best. I would consider myself a foodie and generally love good food. ...
Quote:
View Post
As a "foodie" I would suggest the following restaurants:
...
As a "foodie" I would suggest that leaving someone else to cook for you is never going to be as good as cooking for yourself.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:04
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Horgen
Posts: 100
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
jrabbit is considered a nuisancejrabbit is considered a nuisancejrabbit is considered a nuisance
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Take a trip to France and enjoy
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank jrabbit for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:07
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
As a "foodie" I would suggest that leaving someone else to cook for you is never going to be as good as cooking for yourself.
Sure, because I have time to prepare a six course menu with multiple components per dish Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, it's probably my biggest hobby, but at the same time I love to eat in nice restaurants...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank scipio for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 121
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 179 Times in 62 Posts
amy123 is considered knowledgeableamy123 is considered knowledgeableamy123 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Kronenhalle

Zum Kropf

Haus Zum Ruden

Gruenes Glas

Zunfthaus Zur Waag


When in Zurich, eat Swiss-German food in yee-olde Swiss-German restaurants. Bring bags of cash.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:18
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 765
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 895 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Number of restaurants in London: 17 343
Number of restaurants in Zurich: 1 404

Yes, you might have been somewhat spoilt by London.

*source = tripadvisor
A closer look at the numbers (forgive me...)

Population of London (entire metro area): 13,614,409*
Population of Zurich: 1,830,000*

so...that would be 17,343 / 13,614,409 = 0.0013 restaurants per person in London and 1,404 / 1,830,000 = 0.00077 restaurants per person in Zurich. 0.0013 / 0.00077 = 1.688 (168%)

As opposed to 17,343 / 1,404 = 12.35 (1,235%)

That is only 168% percent more restaurants in the London metro area in terms of population density than in the Zurich metro area. Using the tripadvisor number in the raw would indicate that there are 1,235% more restaurants in London (which of course there are in a numerical sense...but not in a statistically normalized sense).

Even at 168%, this indicates more variety and lower prices for sure. But, there are still plenty of good restaurants in Zurich. And oddly...the three most expensive meals we've had in Zurich were not even in the top three of quality and value.

We've also noticed that the highest likelihood of a good meal seems to be in Kreis 5 (the 8005 post code). There are a tremendous amount of great places (total value) in this area...none of these are mediocre:
Maison Blunt
Lily's
Les Halles
Damas
Frau Gerold's Garten (depending on season...sometimes it can be so-so)
Viaduct (yummmmm....meat pies)

*source = wikipedia
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ttamasle for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:25
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
A closer look at the numbers (forgive me...)

Population of London (entire metro area): 13,614,409*
Population of Zurich: 1,830,000*

so...that would be 17,343 / 13,614,409 = 0.0013 restaurants per person in London and 1,404 / 1,830,000 = 0.00077 restaurants per person in Zurich. 0.0013 / 0.00077 = 1.688 (168%)

As opposed to 17,343 / 1,404 = 12.35 (1,235%)

That is only 168% percent more restaurants in the London metro area in terms of population density than in the Zurich metro area. Using the tripadvisor number in the raw would indicate that there are 1,235% more restaurants in London (which of course there are in a numerical sense...but not in a statistically normalized sense).

Even at 168%, this indicates more variety and lower prices for sure. But, there are still plenty of good restaurants in Zurich. And oddly...the three most expensive meals we've had in Zurich were not even in the top three of quality and value.

We've also noticed that the highest likelihood of a good meal seems to be in Kreis 5 (the 8005 post code). There are a tremendous amount of great places (total value) in this area...none of these are mediocre:
Maison Blunt
Lily's
Les Halles
Damas
Frau Gerold's Garten (depending on season...sometimes it can be so-so)
Viaduct (yummmmm....meat pies)

*source = wikipedia
Your data is wrong. The 1400 Restaurants are located in the city of Zürich (Population of 400'000) and not the "Greater Zürich Area" as indicated by the 1.8 Mio poulation. In the canton of Zürich (1.4 Mio population) there are 2400 Restaurants (according to Tripadvisor).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank scipio for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:32
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 765
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 895 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Your data is wrong. The 1400 Restaurants are located in the city of Zürich (Population of 400'000) and not the "Greater Zürich Area" as indicated by the 1.8 Mio poulation. In the canton of Zürich (1.4 Mio population) there are 2400 Restaurants (according to Tripadvisor).
Clearly its not my data. What was was provided was either from Wikipedia (for metro population data) or by posts within this thread.

Get me the correct numbers and I'll be happy to run the numbers again!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:39
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Clearly its not my data. What was was provided was either from Wikipedia (for metro population data) or by posts within this thread.

Get me the correct numbers and I'll be happy to run the numbers again!
No offense, but you used the number of restaurants in the city of Zürich (1400) and the population of the greater area of Zürich (1.8 Mio). Instead what you should have used is the number of the population of the city of Zürich (400'000) and the number of the restaurants in the city of Zürich. Alternatively you could have used the restaurants in the canton of zürich (2400) and divide by the population of the canton (1.4 Mio).

I know how to do the math, just wanted to point out that there is a mistake in your calculation...

I would say there are 0.00171428571 restaurants per person in the canton of zürich or 0.0035 restaurants per person in the city of zürich (if the numbers on tripadvisor are correct).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:52
Ttamasle's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZH, AaA
Posts: 765
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 895 Times in 325 Posts
Ttamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond reputeTtamasle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
(if the numbers on tripadvisor are correct).
And that goes for the rest of the numbers that are available on the interwebs. As such...the calculations as provided were correct...the inputs, however, are debatable (and, again, were provided by others without clearly expressing caveats, limitations, bounds, etc).

In then end...which ever numbers are used...the thought exercise should continue. And...more importantly...the great majority of restaurants in Kreis 5 are still great.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02.02.2015, 14:57
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
And that goes for the rest of the numbers that are available on the interwebs. As such...the calculations as provided were correct...the inputs, however, are debatable (and, again, were provided by others without clearly expressing caveats, limitations, bounds, etc).

In then end...which ever numbers are used...the thought exercise should continue. And...more importantly...the great majority of restaurants in Kreis 5 are still great.
With all due respect, how can you compare the number of restaurants in the city of Zürich with the population of the greater area of Zürich?! Sorry, but this is not debatable. It doesn't make sense! If one wants to calculate the population density of Switzerland one does not take the population of Switzerland and divide it by the area of Europe.

However, I do agree that there are some good restaurants in Kreis 5 (Josef would be another one).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank scipio for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 02.02.2015, 19:37
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Is it just me finding food in Zurich mediocre at best. I would consider myself a foodie and generally love good food. Leaving prices aside (don't get me started) am I the only one finding restaurant food here really disappointing? I am perhaps spoiled by London however I was expecting way more from Zurich. I have been out countless times here, so gave the place plenty of chances but have been very rarely pleasantly surprised. Can I suggest everyones posts a top 3 in Zurich (no matter which cuisine as anything will do...)
I'll start:
Widder (extremely expensive but the food was of a high standard)
Le Miracle (surprisingly good Italian)
Zeughauskeller (Out of desperation I had to go for this tourist joint as struggling to come up with a 3rd name)

- Widder is caring for the snobberia
- Zeughauskeller is good and its Prices relatively low when taking into account their super Location


To check out and find Restaurants up to your taste and your Preference is the art in question. If you take an average of Restaurants in Paris, Strassburg, Stuttgart, London, Milano, Athens, Cairo, the result will of course be MEDIOCRE. But if you try your best to find nice spots you will enjoy
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02.02.2015, 19:42
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Food in Zurich? Plain mediocre

Quote:
View Post
Number of restaurants in London: 17 343
Number of restaurants in Zurich: 1 404

Yes, you might have been somewhat spoilt by London.

*source = tripadvisor

But in spite of a slight difference of size, the Thing remains the SAME. If you in London or in Zürich simply walk into the next Restaurant around the Corner without having a Close look, there most likely will be a disappointment --- not least as Food is always subject to your personal taste. What you find excellent and enjoy a lot, is rubbish to the next. What others praise as superb is rubbish to you
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
food, restaurants, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mediocre (and that's being generous) Swiss advertising 22 yards Daily life 117 06.01.2015 03:27
Racism or just plain ignorance in the workplace? TuxedoPants Daily life 158 05.12.2013 21:46
US Food Inspectors undertake unannounced inspections in Swiss food factories olygirl Swiss politics/news 32 01.06.2013 17:48
How to ask for plain tap water in restaurant/bar pabcbc Food and drink 40 10.09.2009 19:53
For Sale: Plain White Canvas 100x160 (Art Supply) (Zurich) WokeUpInZurich Items for sale 2 14.10.2008 21:48


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0