Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.04.2015, 12:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Colored food/meal suggestions

Hi EFers

I'd like to experiment with my set of food colorings (pink, green, blue) and hence am looking for recipes you tried and tested, which worked well with color application.

I imagine that, say, pancakes won't turn out blue if you add blue food coloring because they turn pretty brown without any food coloring added. So, do you have any experience with foods which don't turn a weird color which isn't at all similar to the food coloring in question when food coloring's added to them?

Suggestions for multiple colorful "basics" - warm main meal sides, sauces, baked goods, drinks, desserts - would be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.04.2015, 12:58
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,372
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,887 Times in 2,674 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Colored food/meal suggestions

I remember making pancakes in a lesson at school and someone adding green food colouring to theirs. And yes, they were a 'lovely' bright green.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank hannah'sauntie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 09.04.2015, 14:30
njusta83's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 261
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 99 Posts
njusta83 has earned the respect of manynjusta83 has earned the respect of manynjusta83 has earned the respect of many
Re: Colored food/meal suggestions

In Pfadi we once received blue and red bread and black milk a lasting memory as it really was weird.
What about coloring cauliflower, cookie dough, rice, pasta, mashed potatoes etc? I imagine all the things with a light color would be possible
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank njusta83 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 09.04.2015, 15:26
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,174 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Colored food/meal suggestions

njusta has the right idea - any food that has minimal color on its own will take your food coloring to some degree.

You're missing the primary color yellow, though. If you'd like a larger rainbow to choose from one option is to make your own yellow food coloring with tumeric and water. You'd use such a small amount that it wouldn't impact the flavor of most dishes. Then go back to the basic color wheel and knock yourself out.

This isn't a list of recipes, but foods that should take color fairly well:

Warm main meal sides - foods listed by njusta, plus: white beans, couscous, glass or rice noodles, celeriac, turnip, onions.

Sauces - bechamel or any clear-ish liquid, such as a chicken broth or white wine sauce. You can make purple macaroni and cheese if you want. I have. Also feel free to liven up your mayonnaise.

Baked goods - Most baked goods will have some browning; not much you can do about that. However you can use clear vanilla extract to lessen the brown color and then add a drop or two of food coloring. This would also help a little with your pancakes. Unsalted butter is a tad more white than salted. If you need to eliminate more of the browning, substitute plain applesauce for egg yolk. Frostings are obviously the easiest to color. If you like to do homemade meringues, you can color the egg whites as they are beating.

Drinks - Any clear or white-ish liquid: vodka, kirsch, ouzo, clear or pale rum, pale white wine, milk, cream, and of course water. Try making colored ice cubes to put in your drinks.

Desserts - Pale fruits like pear and banana (my mom liked to color our pears green when I was a kid), apples without skin, ice cream, anything with white chocolate.

Hope that helps a little and gives you some ideas.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 09.04.2015, 15:50
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Colored food/meal suggestions

Quote:
View Post
Hi EFers

I'd like to experiment with my set of food colorings (pink, green, blue) ........

Just do as 3Wishes did and throw them over the next weird fluffy animal that flutters by.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 09.04.2015, 16:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Colored food/meal suggestions

Quote:
View Post
I remember making pancakes in a lesson at school and someone adding green food colouring to theirs. And yes, they were a 'lovely' bright green.
Good to know!

Quote:
View Post
In Pfadi we once received blue and red bread and black milk a lasting memory as it really was weird.
What about coloring cauliflower, cookie dough, rice, pasta, mashed potatoes etc? I imagine all the things with a light color would be possible
Black milk LOL. Need to try this! Perhaps add some green milk froth on top with pink sprinkles haha

Quote:
View Post
njusta has the right idea - any food that has minimal color on its own will take your food coloring to some degree.

You're missing the primary color yellow, though. If you'd like a larger rainbow to choose from one option is to make your own yellow food coloring with tumeric and water. You'd use such a small amount that it wouldn't impact the flavor of most dishes. Then go back to the basic color wheel and knock yourself out.

This isn't a list of recipes, but foods that should take color fairly well:

Warm main meal sides - foods listed by njusta, plus: white beans, couscous, glass or rice noodles, celeriac, turnip, onions.

Sauces - bechamel or any clear-ish liquid, such as a chicken broth or white wine sauce. You can make purple macaroni and cheese if you want. I have. Also feel free to liven up your mayonnaise.

Baked goods - Most baked goods will have some browning; not much you can do about that. However you can use clear vanilla extract to lessen the brown color and then add a drop or two of food coloring. This would also help a little with your pancakes. Unsalted butter is a tad more white than salted. If you need to eliminate more of the browning, substitute plain applesauce for egg yolk. Frostings are obviously the easiest to color. If you like to do homemade meringues, you can color the egg whites as they are beating.

Drinks - Any clear or white-ish liquid: vodka, kirsch, ouzo, clear or pale rum, pale white wine, milk, cream, and of course water. Try making colored ice cubes to put in your drinks.

Desserts - Pale fruits like pear and banana (my mom liked to color our pears green when I was a kid), apples without skin, ice cream, anything with white chocolate.

Hope that helps a little and gives you some ideas.
Very helpful info, thanks. Colored ice cubes - so easy! Good thing yellow can easily be found if I decide to put it in food.
By the way, re: color mixing: The Migros food coloring (the small tubes) don't work too well, better to go for food colorings found e.g. here (run by EFers, congrats to them for their lovely shop).

Quote:
View Post
Just do as 3Wishes did and throw them over the next weird fluffy animal that flutters by.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank glowjupiter for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 21.04.2015, 12:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Duebendorf
Posts: 94
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 78 Times in 41 Posts
LargeDragon is considered knowledgeableLargeDragon is considered knowledgeableLargeDragon is considered knowledgeable
Re: Colored food/meal suggestions

I can confirm that blue rice freaks out guests at dinner!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LargeDragon for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 06.05.2015, 20:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 656
Groaned at 24 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 749 Times in 339 Posts
xkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond reputexkcd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Colored food/meal suggestions

Quote:
View Post
I'd like to experiment with my set of food colorings (pink, green, blue) and hence am looking for recipes you tried and tested, which worked well with color application.
.....

Suggestions for multiple colorful "basics" - warm main meal sides, sauces, baked goods, drinks, desserts - would be appreciated.
Here is a cookbook with 12 different menues sorted by color: A brown, a red, an orange etc. menue. From flipping through this book I seem to remember that these menues actually work without artificial coloring.
http://www.exlibris.ch/de/buecher-bu...FczHtAodFh0Aow
No idea whether there is an English language version available.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Meal for dinner date? Seductive food? hollisterb Food and drink 108 11.06.2014 02:47
Suggestions for delicious Geneva baked goods/food to bring home as holiday gifts greengrass10 Food and drink 5 16.12.2013 05:51
Food for thought - your last meal summerrain Food and drink 46 10.11.2011 12:23
Need suggestions - British finger food at Swiss apero tomcat Food and drink 52 15.12.2008 09:38


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0