Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.07.2015, 08:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 656
Groaned at 96 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 585 Times in 283 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Heatwave food!

Since this weather is due to last till Wednesday and quite possibly reprise on Friday, let's share a few recipes for cold foods that don't require using heat to be prepared (unless you cook between 4 and 7 am which I'm doing).

- Gazpacho is always a winner in this weather
- Cold quiche lorraine
- Insalata caprese (mozzarella & tomato salad).
- Sorbets & ice cream / yoghurt (for Americans).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Noth for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 04.07.2015, 08:21
JagWaugh's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eglisau
Posts: 3,973
Groaned at 31 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 7,214 Times in 2,905 Posts
JagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond reputeJagWaugh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Quote:
View Post
Since this weather is due to last till Wednesday and quite possibly reprise on Friday, let's share a few recipes for cold foods that don't require using heat to be prepared (unless you cook between 4 and 7 am which I'm doing).

- Gazpacho is always a winner in this weather
- Cold quiche lorraine
- Insalata caprese (mozzarella & tomato salad).
- Sorbets & ice cream / yoghurt (for Americans).


Vitello Tonnato.
Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.07.2015, 09:50
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,483
Groaned at 47 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,204 Times in 865 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Cous cous
Sangria
Pimms
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MsWorWoo for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 04.07.2015, 10:12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 236
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 224 Times in 132 Posts
dandi has earned some respectdandi has earned some respect
Re: Heatwave food!

Watermelon
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.07.2015, 10:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Fruit salad
Salads in general
Veggies and dips
Cold fruit pies
Homemade iced tea
Water with lemon/lime
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.07.2015, 11:15
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,072
Groaned at 93 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 1,665 Times in 573 Posts
Busby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond reputeBusby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Buy russian salad in a tin and put it in the fridge.
Buy good ham and put it in the fridge too.
Time to serve: Mix Mayonnaise into the russian salad, open the ham slices flat and put a dollop of russian salad onto each slice and roll them up.
Refreshing, cold and juicy.


With Sangria.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Busby for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.07.2015, 11:21
Hausamsee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 305
Groaned at 70 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 366 Times in 170 Posts
Hausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of manyHausamsee has earned the respect of many
Re: Heatwave food!

Sushi!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04.07.2015, 11:34
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 714
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,528 Times in 548 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 04.07.2015, 12:17
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,156 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Quote:
View Post
Buy russian salad in a tin and put it in the fridge.
Buy good ham and put it in the fridge too.
Time to serve: Drain the water off. Mix Mayonnaise into the russian salad, open the ham slices flat and put a dollop of russian salad onto each slice and roll them up.
Refreshing, cold and juicy.


With Sangria.
FTFY.

Pasta salad, potato salad, carrot salad, did someone mention salads?
Hummus & Tzatziki dip with sliced veggies
lots of fresh fruit
hard-boiled eggs
applesauce

We also grill a bit more food than necessary when making a bbq, and then keep the leftovers for sandwiches, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.07.2015, 12:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 656
Groaned at 96 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 585 Times in 283 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Heatwave food!

I can also recommend wraps, either with tortilla or chapati (saw this morning that Coop City have them in the British/Indian food section). Stick anything in there and they're great! Especially now they do mini tortillas for the smaller appetite. Store in ziplock bags to keep fresh.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Noth for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 04.07.2015, 13:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Quote:
View Post
FTFY.

Pasta salad, potato salad, carrot salad, did someone mention salads?
Hummus & Tzatziki dip with sliced veggies
lots of fresh fruit
hard-boiled eggs
applesauce

We also grill a bit more food than necessary when making a bbq, and then keep the leftovers for sandwiches, etc.
Not me

Tzatziki and baked salmon with fruits for dessert...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.07.2015, 14:47
smackerjack's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: U.K/VAUD
Posts: 2,061
Groaned at 14 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,260 Times in 982 Posts
smackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond reputesmackerjack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Tomatoes in any salad form
Home made Humus
Sorbet
Aperol Spritz
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05.07.2015, 19:17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 160
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 160 Times in 78 Posts
scipio has made some interesting contributions
Re: Heatwave food!

I would add vietnamese summer rolls to this list Easy to make and delicious.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank scipio for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 05.07.2015, 20:56
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: suisse romande
Posts: 167
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 54 Times in 39 Posts
Miostar has no particular reputation at present
Re: Heatwave food!

Bruschetta, just put ingredients on the table and eveybody does their one
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05.07.2015, 21:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,458
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,225 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

No carbs.
Eating a pot of pasta with a heavy sauce will make your head hit the keyboard an hour later.

I've resorted to eating salads, mostly (lettuce, tomato, a bit of cucumber and half a paprika, with a small onion and an Italian style dressing (balsamico, olive-oil, salt, pepper, herbs-de-provence and an organic seasoning-salt) that I prepare in the kitchen at work.
Sometimes I eat a bit of focaccia or a small olive bread roll with it, sometimes not.

A hot curry with rice isn't that bad actually - provided it's really hot and you can wash away the sweat in the bathroom afterwards....
Where I work it's very hot in the office (30+ °C) and I found it's best to change t-shirts after lunch....
It seems, all the ventilators are sold-out at Media-Markt et.al. They only have the 300 CHF+ Dysons left. And even those are now being sold.
They've even sold the display-models now (a co-worker bought a (non-Dyson) display-model with a 5 CHF rebate).

I liken the people who buy ventilators during the summer heat to those chaps who buy domestic fuel oil only when their tank has run dry in the midst of the winter and double-digit negative temperatures outside....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05.07.2015, 22:04
lorena1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N/A
Posts: 644
Groaned at 51 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 563 Times in 313 Posts
lorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond reputelorena1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Quote:
View Post
No carbs.
Eating a pot of pasta with a heavy sauce will make your head hit the keyboard an hour later.

I've resorted to eating salads, mostly (lettuce, tomato, a bit of cucumber and half a paprika, with a small onion and an Italian style dressing (balsamico, olive-oil, salt, pepper, herbs-de-provence and an organic seasoning-salt) that I prepare in the kitchen at work.
Sometimes I eat a bit of focaccia or a small olive bread roll with it, sometimes not.

A hot curry with rice isn't that bad actually - provided it's really hot and you can wash away the sweat in the bathroom afterwards....
Where I work it's very hot in the office (30+ °C) and I found it's best to change t-shirts after lunch....
It seems, all the ventilators are sold-out at Media-Markt et.al. They only have the 300 CHF+ Dysons left. And even those are now being sold.
They've even sold the display-models now (a co-worker bought a (non-Dyson) display-model with a 5 CHF rebate).

I liken the people who buy ventilators during the summer heat to those chaps who buy domestic fuel oil only when their tank has run dry in the midst of the winter and double-digit negative temperatures outside....
Doesn't rice have carbs
Some of my favorites are:
tomato mozzarella salad with basil and olive oil
noodle salads
chirashi - style meals of vegetables and rice
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05.07.2015, 22:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,458
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,225 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Quote:
View Post
Doesn't rice have carbs
Some of my favorites are:
tomato mozzarella salad with basil and olive oil
noodle salads
chirashi - style meals of vegetables and rice
Yes, it does.
But I found that basmati rice doesn't give you as much of an "insulin-high" (followed by a plunge) as pasta.

Unfortunately, fruits (due to the sugar) also fall in the "don't"-categorie. As does ice-cream. But I just love fruit too much to abstain from them.
Of course, it's also recommended to avoid cold beverages. The body will just try to re-heat them, causing even more sweat....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05.07.2015, 22:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,104
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 6,065 Times in 3,279 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers and bread. That's it. This is all I can eat on this weather.
And ice cream!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05.07.2015, 22:57
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 736
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,178 Times in 425 Posts
Trollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond reputeTrollemor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

The BBQ is out of bounds since Saturday, as I've measured 38 degrees on our terrasse. It's sheltered from the wind and in full afternoon sun, I could probably cook a meal just by leaving it on the table.

Yesterday we had salad caprese and bread, today it was sashimi. Just cooking the rice brought the temperature in my kitchen up to an uncomfortable level.

Until the heat wave is over I will go for anything cold/raw, mostly vegetable based. And fruit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Trollemor for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 05.07.2015, 22:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,104
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 6,065 Times in 3,279 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Heatwave food!

Quote:
View Post
The BBQ is out of bounds since Saturday, as I've measured 38 degrees on our terrasse. It's sheltered from the wind and in full afternoon sun, I could probably cook a meal just by leaving it on the table.

Yesterday we had salad caprese and bread, today it was sashimi. Just cooking the rice brought the temperature in my kitchen up to an uncomfortable level.

Until the heat wave is over I will go for anything cold/raw, mostly vegetable based. And fruit.
Oh yeah, forgot the fruits. I've eaten tons of cherries from the nearby farm! But I don't complain.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neck scarves, indoors, in a heatwave? PaddyG Daily life 38 13.12.2015 15:48
Heatwave in Zurich Roo7 Introductions 1 08.06.2015 07:58
What to do in Basel during heatwave ? Westbourne_Express Daily life 16 31.07.2013 00:08
important: Heatwave in CH MrVertigo Family matters/health 122 11.07.2010 12:50
Heatwave, Snow..what next? Tornados? litespeed Daily life 3 04.08.2006 12:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0