Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 21.07.2015, 01:02
BokerTov's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA, former Zurich
Posts: 1,809
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,332 Posts
BokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond reputeBokerTov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

I like all kinds of cooked/uncooked vegetables with some kind of nuts in them - good for you and very nutritious: almond broccoli salad (see here minus the mayo - I don't do fatty sauces and dips, I just like simple olive oil/vinegar); spinach with toasted pine nuts; cherry tomato, corn, and pistachio salad.

What about pulses? Chickpeas, lentils, etc.

Beans!!! I don't like cooked refried beans/black beans, but I like white beans or black beans in a salad with cheese and corn, tomato, avocado.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank BokerTov for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 21.07.2015, 08:43
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 3,830
Groaned at 93 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 5,373 Times in 2,000 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Sorry - hummus is carbs isn't it? And it has sesame seed paste.

Quote:
View Post
  • hummus - make your own. Dead easy. Buy a can of chickpeas. Drain. Chuck it in the blender with some olive oil, garlic, tahini paste, salt and pepper. Job done.
  • falafel - we eat ours without the pita (sometimes), and serve it with either hummus or homemade tzatziki dip
  • canned tuna/salmon - I don't eat canned salmon (prefer fresh) so I've never even looked for it here... but you can certainly get canned tuna at any Migros/Coop
  • nut butters (peanut, almond) - If you have the time, just make your own. In the U.S. you can buy nut butters without added sugar. Not sure where you'd find them here though.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 21.07.2015, 09:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 652
Groaned at 96 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 585 Times in 283 Posts
Noth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputationNoth has an excellent reputation
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

precooked fish at home that's wrapped in aluminium should survive 4-6 hours pretty easily. Also checkout the smoked fish in the Migros. Same for chicken. Just make sure it's all cooked through and it'll keep fine till lunch. Your diet sounds really dour
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Noth for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 21.07.2015, 11:10
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 784
Groaned at 87 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 1,206 Times in 549 Posts
TobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond reputeTobiasM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Why don't you just get a small cool box and put in a few cooling blocks out of the freezer every morning?
You could make a pasta salad or a rice or lentil salad, have some smoked salami or dried meat and bread, some antipasti should last at least four hours. Hard boiled eggs too. Its no problem as long as none of it sits directly in the sun for four hours.


It sounds like you just want some picnic ideas.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 21.07.2015, 11:28
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich & Bignasco
Posts: 2,308
Groaned at 28 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 4,536 Times in 1,437 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Thin slices of courgettes and carrots. Boil for 1 -2 minutes. Boil fresh ripe tomatoes a few seconds, peel them and get rid of the seeds. Cut the tomatoe meat, add salt, pepper, basil etc. (roasted pine nuts, other herbs).
mix everything. let it warm up in the sun before eating.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 21.07.2015, 12:01
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,196
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,208 Times in 4,909 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Quote:
View Post
Why don't you just get a small cool box and put in a few cooling blocks out of the freezer every morning?
You could make a pasta salad or a rice or lentil salad, have some smoked salami or dried meat and bread, some antipasti should last at least four hours. Hard boiled eggs too. Its no problem as long as none of it sits directly in the sun for four hours.


It sounds like you just want some picnic ideas.
He does but without the carbs which rules out most of your suggestions.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 21.07.2015, 18:29
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,155 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Quote:
View Post
Sorry - hummus is carbs isn't it? And it has sesame seed paste.
Yes, but it's not the type of refined carbs OP was complaining about (rice, pasta, bread, etc.) so thus why I mentioned it. My homemade hummus has 33 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fiber per 100 grams. That's a "net" of 21 carbs along with a nice 19 grams of protein. Very filling too

What's wrong with sesame seed paste?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 21.07.2015, 21:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Quote:
View Post
I like all kinds of cooked/uncooked vegetables with some kind of nuts in them - good for you and very nutritious: almond broccoli salad (see here minus the mayo - I don't do fatty sauces and dips, I just like simple olive oil/vinegar); spinach with toasted pine nuts; cherry tomato, corn, and pistachio salad.

What about pulses? Chickpeas, lentils, etc.

Beans!!! I don't like cooked refried beans/black beans, but I like white beans or black beans in a salad with cheese and corn, tomato, avocado.
Only chickpeas, but as those are quite carby I'd only eat a very small portion.

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but it's not the type of refined carbs OP was complaining about (rice, pasta, bread, etc.) so thus why I mentioned it. My homemade hummus has 33 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fiber per 100 grams. That's a "net" of 21 carbs along with a nice 19 grams of protein. Very filling too

What's wrong with sesame seed paste?
Are sesame seeds carbs? Btw was looking for tahini paste in Coop today, is that where I could find it?

Quote:
View Post
Thin slices of courgettes and carrots. Boil for 1 -2 minutes. Boil fresh ripe tomatoes a few seconds, peel them and get rid of the seeds. Cut the tomatoe meat, add salt, pepper, basil etc. (roasted pine nuts, other herbs).
mix everything. let it warm up in the sun before eating.
Thanks for the recipe. Can/should this be stored cooled (during the 4-6 hours) or could I leave it out after removing from the fridge in the morning?

Quote:
View Post
Why don't you just get a small cool box and put in a few cooling blocks out of the freezer every morning?
You could make a pasta salad or a rice or lentil salad, have some smoked salami or dried meat and bread, some antipasti should last at least four hours. Hard boiled eggs too. Its no problem as long as none of it sits directly in the sun for four hours.

It sounds like you just want some picnic ideas.
No pasta, no rice, no lentil.
Smoked salami, dried and deli meats yes. Bread no. Eggs no.

Quote:
View Post
precooked fish at home that's wrapped in aluminium should survive 4-6 hours pretty easily. Also checkout the smoked fish in the Migros. Same for chicken. Just make sure it's all cooked through and it'll keep fine till lunch. Your diet sounds really dour
Today was actually quite interesting - vat of salad with olives and feta cheese, salami and bacon.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 21.07.2015, 21:27
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,479
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,607 Times in 5,489 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Migros, Aldl, Lidl and probably Denner and Coop do tuna & veg tinned salads which might be suitable. We get the Lidl ones: Mexican, Martinique, Salad Nicoise, Texan. No idea what they are for carbs, etc, though as the packaging contains none of that sort of info.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 21.07.2015, 21:38
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,155 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Quote:
View Post
Only chickpeas, but as those are quite carby I'd only eat a very small portion....

Are sesame seeds carbs? Btw was looking for tahini paste in Coop today, is that where I could find it?
See my comments above about the carbs in chickpeas. I think you'd be fine with hummus in reasonable quantities, particularly if paired with other non-carby foods. Tahini paste has 12 g of carbs and 12 g of fiber per 100 grams, so it is considered "carb neutral." I buy the Alfez brand from the larger Migros stores (the little one near us doesn't have it). It lasts forever. I use about a tablespoon in each batch and then chuck it back in the freezer until the next time.

Don't be scared of carbs. Not all of them spike your blood sugar to a point where you want to collapse 2 hours later. Look for lower glycemic index options as those also help you feel full for longer:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...-diabetes.html

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/spotlight-low-gi
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 21.07.2015, 22:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,020
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,744 Times in 1,935 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

We humans have a certain range within which our bodies funtion well. Performance starts to degrade around 30°, is seriously reduced just a few degrees higher, and around 35-40° it gets dangerous, perhaps life threatening.

Although bacteria and viruses are much less complex, the general principle applies to them also. Increased temperatures don't necessarily mean faster growth.

While it's certainly good to consider, I think OP is over-doing things a bit. Raw eggs, raw chicken and mayonnaise aside, I doubt that anything that is fresh when taken out of the fridge at home will pose a threat 6 hours later, not even at current temperatures.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 21.07.2015, 22:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Quote:
View Post
See my comments above about the carbs in chickpeas. I think you'd be fine with hummus in reasonable quantities, particularly if paired with other non-carby foods. Tahini paste has 12 g of carbs and 12 g of fiber per 100 grams, so it is considered "carb neutral." I buy the Alfez brand from the larger Migros stores (the little one near us doesn't have it). It lasts forever. I use about a tablespoon in each batch and then chuck it back in the freezer until the next time.

Don't be scared of carbs. Not all of them spike your blood sugar to a point where you want to collapse 2 hours later. Look for lower glycemic index options as those also help you feel full for longer:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fit...-diabetes.html

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/spotlight-low-gi

Irrespective of most carbs (bread, noodles, rice, grains, doughy stuff, sweets, fruit overloads) knocking me out after lunch (all tried and tested in various portion sizes), I don't want to exceed 30g carbs/day so I'm quite tight on them. Get my energy from mainly fat and some protein instead while loading up on veggies.

Quote:
View Post
We humans have a certain range within which our bodies funtion well. Performance starts to degrade around 30°, is seriously reduced just a few degrees higher, and around 35-40° it gets dangerous, perhaps life threatening.

Although bacteria and viruses are much less complex, the general principle applies to them also. Increased temperatures don't necessarily mean faster growth.

While it's certainly good to consider, I think OP is over-doing things a bit. Raw eggs, raw chicken and mayonnaise aside, I doubt that anything that is fresh when taken out of the fridge at home will pose a threat 6 hours later, not even at current temperatures.
It's not so much a matter of things spoiling but rather tasting weird - 25° warm salad and room temperature cheese tastes quite different from the cold(ish) stuff you get from the store or your fridge. Sushi would be one thing I would not store outside for 4-6 hours and eat afterwards because I'd rather not be sick as a dog, otoh room temperature olives and fruit are fine (cold fruit is mostly blander than room temperature anyway), but when it comes to e.g. cream cheese/dips to dip veggies in, I'd rather have them cold because they taste better then. Also some veggies go limp when warm, like carrots.

Last edited by glowjupiter; 21.07.2015 at 22:12.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 22.07.2015, 12:44
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Quote:
View Post
Hi EFers

I'm on the lookout for lunch ideas.

Requirements:
1. low carb (this includes: no bread, flour, rice, noodles, potatoes, other things with grains/sugar/fruits),
2. can stay out of fridge for 4 hours,
3. easy to prepare with a basic knife/fork/spoon and doesn't require complicated assembly/multiple bowls,
4. portable,
5. as filling as possible.

Ideas so far:
- Salads with single servings of dressing (since dressings need to be refrigerated as well)
- Single packets of meat ("Bacon" (not Speck!) from Coop, turkey/ham/salami slices)
- Hunks of cheese
- Individually packed portions of cream cheese (Philadelphia mini packets)
- Olives
- Yogurt with or without veg to dip

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Grandmum had no fridge but a good cellar and of course her garden. And knew how to store things. And at times phoned Mrs H... to ask whether there were new eggs from the night before. Olive Oil and Vinegar were in the cellar as were potatoes and noodles and Rice. She also had apples in the cellar. But milk she got from the milkman each morning, who also supplied cheese. Also in the cellar were carrots


When we went there for a week, Mum had to clear the very small fridge
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 27.07.2015, 21:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Lunch ideas without a fridge

Quote:
View Post
  • chickpea salad with tomatoes, peppers and vinaigrette

Has anyone seen black chickpeas in CH? Tibits make a fabulous salad (link) and I'd like to make something similar. Any recipe ideas? I'm not the best at vinaigrettes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fridge or fridge freezer wanted, (near Basel) Greenpooble Items wanted 3 07.01.2015 00:17
Lunch Ideas for Swiss Friend Ovi23 Food and drink 20 28.08.2014 00:17
A Taste of...What would YOU like to taste? (Possible lunch ideas in Zurich) BokerTov Social events 6 11.09.2012 17:39
A Lunch Place Not Open AT LUNCH!!!!!! jerallie Complaints corner 293 23.03.2012 09:36
Healthy lunch ideas? Begga Food and drink 60 06.07.2010 19:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0