Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Food and drink
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.12.2015, 21:03
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Hi, everyone,

My husband is slightly addicted to Pepsi/Coke Zero and drink them as the sole source of drink. I am worried that they will be harmful to his health in long term, however I don't want to take away the joy from him or make him less hydrated.

Anyone know any healthy replacement or alternatives?

I searched the internet and some people suggested homemade drink from sparkling water and frozen 100% juice concentrate. Migros and Coop don't sell this frozen juice concentrate. Anyone know where I can find it? I presume, as it is frozen, I won't find it online.

Thank you!!!

Lana
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.12.2015, 21:22
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

You could try a Soda Stream and make your own, using fruit syrups/squashes ...... not completely healthy, but some are less nasty than others, and you can use a weaker dilution, compared to bought varieties.

..... and as an occasional treat, you/he can use a cola light/zero syrup as strong or weak as you choose.

In reality you don't even need a Soda Stream, and just use carbonated bottled water.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17.12.2015, 21:34
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,549
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,673 Times in 5,521 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

The Swiss don't do frozen juice concentrates I'm afraid. But Granini do a range of bottled fruit/mixed juices so you could try some of those mixed with sparkling water. I like their grapefruit juice with water - 3/4 glass of water to 1/4 of juice. Or even drink them straight, though they're not sugar free.

Also you might like to keep an eye out for something like these:

http://www.robinsonssquashd.co.uk/

Very concentrated juice flavours that you put a quick squeeze into a glass of water - plain or sparkling. I don't think they're on sale here in Switzerland yet, but will probably make it over here eventually. If you go to the UK you can find Robinson's or own store brands of these in all the major supermarkets and they come in a whole range of flavours. I find them a bit too bland for my taste, but I like the sharpness of grapefruit/lemon and I find if you put too much of these in a drink it becomes too sweet for me.

Another alternative is ice tea - Aldi do normal, low cal and zero versions.

If he likes sharp flavours and you go to the UK then also look for PLJ - lemon juice that again you simply add to a glass of water, making it as strong as you like.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...Lj+lemon+juice

And of course, there's plain old sparkling water over some ice cubes. Healthiest of all.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.12.2015, 21:43
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

This sounds more like a personal psychological process of breaking a habit than a choice of drinks.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.12.2015, 21:48
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,549 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Tell him to just drink water.
With luck some of it will change to wine
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 17.12.2015, 22:06
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
You could try a Soda Stream and make your own, using fruit syrups/squashes ...... not completely healthy, but some are less nasty than others, and you can use a weaker dilution, compared to bought varieties.

..... and as an occasional treat, you/he can use a cola light/zero syrup as strong or weak as you choose.

In reality you don't even need a Soda Stream, and just use carbonated bottled water.
I am trying to avoid sugar as well, so I filtered out all syrups.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17.12.2015, 22:09
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss don't do frozen juice concentrates I'm afraid. But Granini do a range of bottled fruit/mixed juices so you could try some of those mixed with sparkling water. I like their grapefruit juice with water - 3/4 glass of water to 1/4 of juice. Or even drink them straight, though they're not sugar free.

Also you might like to keep an eye out for something like these:

http://www.robinsonssquashd.co.uk/

Very concentrated juice flavours that you put a quick squeeze into a glass of water - plain or sparkling. I don't think they're on sale here in Switzerland yet, but will probably make it over here eventually. If you go to the UK you can find Robinson's or own store brands of these in all the major supermarkets and they come in a whole range of flavours. I find them a bit too bland for my taste, but I like the sharpness of grapefruit/lemon and I find if you put too much of these in a drink it becomes too sweet for me.

Another alternative is ice tea - Aldi do normal, low cal and zero versions.

If he likes sharp flavours and you go to the UK then also look for PLJ - lemon juice that again you simply add to a glass of water, making it as strong as you like.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/Product...Lj+lemon+juice

And of course, there's plain old sparkling water over some ice cubes. Healthiest of all.
The robinsonssquashd thingy is kinda perfect. Unfortunately I no longer go to UK anymore after permanently moved to Switzerland. I wish I knew it early this year. UK has so much goodies and I miss Amazon prime so much!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17.12.2015, 22:11
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
This sounds more like a personal psychological process of breaking a habit than a choice of drinks.
Maybe you are right. I am indeed trying to break this habit of his out of my personal concern. But if I could find a healthy alternative that he loves and will not suffer from it, that would be great. Otherwise, I am not going to force him anyway....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17.12.2015, 22:13
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
Tell him to just drink water.
With luck some of it will change to wine
I probably would have more luck to see wine from water than letting him drink water.......
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LanaZHANG for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 17.12.2015, 22:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,654
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,220 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
Maybe you are right. I am indeed trying to break this habit of his out of my personal concern. But if I could find a healthy alternative that he loves and will not suffer from it, that would be great. Otherwise, I am not going to force him anyway....
What about a blowj..?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 17.12.2015, 23:32
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 654
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,897 Times in 420 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

What are you worried about in the sugar-free Coke/Pepsi? If it's the artificial sweeteners, then maybe try him on Coco Life that has low sugar + plant extracts?

Why add water to (frozen) juice concentrate? Won't you just end up with normal juice?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FrankZappa for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 18.12.2015, 01:11
qoz qoz is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 6 Posts
qoz has earned some respectqoz has earned some respect
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

I have a soda stream because I love and guzzle loads of sparkling water.

Coop sells bottles of 100% pure cranberry juice. By itself, 100% cranberry is far too intense and bitter. But add a drop to some sparkling water and it is sweet and tasty. Plus, it's good for you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18.12.2015, 08:31
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Luzern
Posts: 157
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 173 Times in 60 Posts
MarKanLu has earned some respectMarKanLu has earned some respect
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

What about carbonated apple juice?

It is very tasty. But the calories are not negligible (50kcal/100ml).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18.12.2015, 08:37
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,506
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,034 Times in 2,432 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

He's addicted to the caffeine. And a nasty habit.

Does he have other underlying health problems (overweight, drug or alcohol problems)... ?

I know someone who had a very bad coke 'diet' habit, was completely addicted to the caffeine, but she also had a kidney problem. She is now on dialysis. Three days per week in hospital getting treatment, every week, for over 5 years, waiting for a kidney transplant.

A dialysis/kidney diet is extreme... she cannot even drink water like a 'normal' person...

Coke 'light' has a significant amount of sodium in it. Check the bottle.The total allowance per day, from all sources is a maximum of 2300mg per day, which is the amount of one teaspoon of pure salt.

Does he also add salt to his food ? Eat a lot of salted foods ?

The effect of over-dosing on salt, in the longer term, is affects on blood pressure, fluid retention, liver function, kidney function, heart attack, stroke. A high sodium diet also effects calcium as your body over-secretes it so needs to use your bones to access calcium, so the risk of osteoporosis is higher.

Although diabetics (Type 2) often consume 'diet' drinks, the sodium content means that they need to be careful... substituting normal 'sugary' drinks for the 'diet' version may be not that much healthier...

How much diet drink is this person actually consuming per day... it would be interesting to calculate the whole caffeine intake (from all sources) as well as the sort of sodium content...

Plus, unhealthy choices usually replace healthy choices...the whole diet may be lacking, the excessive consumption of caffeine and salt may be masking a bigger 'healthy eating' decision-making process...

The only people I know who are addicted to 'diet' drinks are extremely overweight caffeine addicts...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18.12.2015, 09:05
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,942 Times in 1,468 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
Coke 'light' has a significant amount of sodium in it. Check the bottle.The total allowance per day, from all sources is a maximum of 2300mg per day, which is the amount of one teaspoon of pure salt.
0.1g or 2% of the RDA in a 0.5l bottle which is not a significant amount. I just checked.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 18.12.2015, 11:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nussbaumen bei Baden
Posts: 97
Groaned at 52 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Alkalarian is considered unworthyAlkalarian is considered unworthyAlkalarian is considered unworthyAlkalarian is considered unworthy
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

I would like to share



you can find more on the subject

https://www.aquacentrum.com/

Last edited by Ace1; 18.12.2015 at 11:57. Reason: embedding youtube link.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18.12.2015, 21:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: N/A
Posts: 31
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 13 Posts
ThatDude has earned some respectThatDude has earned some respect
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

How about Coke green (with Stevia as sweetener instead of Aspartame or whatever they put in the Zero)? I didn't like the taste, but some people swear by it.
My favourite joke about Coke Zero is that they took away the last natural ingredient the moment they removed the sugar.

I also know someone who completely gave up Coke by switching to Johannisbeerschorle - mixed 3/4 of JB juice with 1/4 carbonated water.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18.12.2015, 22:19
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
What are you worried about in the sugar-free Coke/Pepsi? If it's the artificial sweeteners, then maybe try him on Coco Life that has low sugar + plant extracts?

Why add water to (frozen) juice concentrate? Won't you just end up with normal juice?
True, but normal juice usually are not bubbly, which makes it less an alternative to the Coke/Pepci.

Sugar is not the only thing that worries me in that drink.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18.12.2015, 22:22
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
I have a soda stream because I love and guzzle loads of sparkling water.

Coop sells bottles of 100% pure cranberry juice. By itself, 100% cranberry is far too intense and bitter. But add a drop to some sparkling water and it is sweet and tasty. Plus, it's good for you.
I think the mixer of pure juice with sparkling water is a great idea, best I got so far.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18.12.2015, 22:24
LanaZHANG's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Murgenthal
Posts: 62
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 39 Times in 18 Posts
LanaZHANG has made some interesting contributions
Re: Help needed: Coke/Pepsi Zero Replacement

Quote:
View Post
What about carbonated apple juice?

It is very tasty. But the calories are not negligible (50kcal/100ml).
yes, the mighty calories and sugar.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coke, drinks, juice, replacement




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement SOLA runner needed RadBaron Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 0 14.04.2015 17:44
Help finding replacement Bosch Glass Stove top ZurichJake56 Daily life 28 31.03.2015 10:06
Americans building a Mosque on ground zero [GROUND ZERO MOSQUE] OtherOne International affairs/politics 80 27.08.2010 15:29
Help with finding a replacement tenant (ZH area) Ralu Housing in general 6 30.06.2010 17:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0