Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > Football/sports
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 25.11.2013, 10:30
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,572 Times in 1,083 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post


There's one sledge that worked, then.
You find this funny?

Warner called Trott 'poor and weak' yesterday. I wonder if there's a sub-text here, and how much both people already knew. In other words, was Warner deliberately having a dig at Trott, in full knowledge that he was vulnerable?

I do hope not, because if Warner did, then that makes him a truly obnoxious individual.

fwiw, I'm all for sledging generally, or at least I wouldn't "ban" it.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 25.11.2013, 10:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,337
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,537 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
You find this funny?

Warner called Trott 'poor and weak' yesterday. I wonder if there's a sub-text here, and how much both people already knew. In other words, was Warner deliberately having a dig at Trott, in full knowledge that he was vulnerable?

I do hope not, because if Warner did, then that makes him a truly obnoxious individual.

fwiw, I'm all for sledging generally, or at least I wouldn't "ban" it.
He actually described the way Trott got out as being poor and weak. I think that's a bit different to saying Trott is poor and weak and something we could all probably agree with.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 25.11.2013, 10:47
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,572 Times in 1,083 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
He actually described the way Trott got out as being poor and weak. I think that's a bit different to saying Trott is poor and weak and something we could all probably agree with.
thanks for pointing this out, I must have misread the statements.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 25.11.2013, 10:54
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,693
Groaned at 68 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Trott going isn't that bad to be honest. His form has dipped alarmingly and he looks like a man that needs a break.

The entire test looked like a continuation of the summer. England has a better bowling attack but a terrible batting line up; Australia have a slightly worse bowling attack and a very fragile batting line up.
2 sides without much quality, should make for a very enjoyable Ashes I hope.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 25.11.2013, 10:56
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,596
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,932 Times in 4,519 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
You find this funny?

Warner called Trott 'poor and weak' yesterday. I wonder if there's a sub-text here, and how much both people already knew. In other words, was Warner deliberately having a dig at Trott, in full knowledge that he was vulnerable?

I do hope not, because if Warner did, then that makes him a truly obnoxious individual.

fwiw, I'm all for sledging generally, or at least I wouldn't "ban" it.
Yup, same comment as porsch just made. And yes, my sledging comment was a joke. I doubt that Warner's comments -- which I thought completely justified in the context of Trott's dismissal -- were based on any inside knowledge of some medical condition, if indeed one exists.

ETA: My "rofl" icon was for porsch's "confusion" about which home Trott was going to return to, not delight at him being sent home. From a parochial point of view, I'd prefer Trott to remain in the team and continue to underperform.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 25.11.2013, 10:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,337
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,537 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Trott going isn't that bad to be honest. His form has dipped alarmingly and he looks like a man that needs a break.

The entire test looked like a continuation of the summer. England has a better bowling attack but a terrible batting line up; Australia have a slightly worse bowling attack and a very fragile batting line up.
2 sides without much quality, should make for a very enjoyable Ashes I hope.
I rate Trott as a good batsman. He's out of form. All players have dips in form
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 25.11.2013, 11:00
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 152 Posts
sudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Has our beautiful game of cricket stooped down to these despicable levels?
Unfortunately it has been like this for quite some time now, 4 decades or so, at least. I am all for a little bit of bantering and getting under the skin of the opposition in doing so. But that can be done without making repulsive remarks (like the one we heard here or McGrath made to Chanders). Curtley Ambrose never spoke a word, he never had to, the look said it all.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 25.11.2013, 11:08
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,572 Times in 1,083 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Yup, same comment as porsch just made. And yes, my sledging comment was a joke. I doubt that Warner's comments -- which I thought completely justified in the context of Trott's dismissal -- were based on any inside knowledge of some medical condition, if indeed one exists.

ETA: My "rofl" icon was for porsch's "confusion" about which home Trott was going to return to, not delight at him being sent home. From a parochial point of view, I'd prefer Trott to remain in the team and continue to underperform.
fair enough, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 25.11.2013, 11:10
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,572 Times in 1,083 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

I think that the Aussies are going to coast this series but I hope I'm wrong. The signs were there last summer where I felt England were simply luckier than Australia. I didn't see any fight in any of the England players apart from Broad.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 25.11.2013, 11:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,337
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,537 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
I think that the Aussies are going to coast this series but I hope I'm wrong. The signs were there last summer where I felt England were simply luckier than Australia. I didn't see any fight in any of the England players apart from Broad.
I think it will be 2-1 to Australia. Hopefully it's a close series
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 25.11.2013, 11:24
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,596
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,932 Times in 4,519 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

I wonder if Glenn McGrath made his traditional pre-series prediction this (Australian) summer. Doesn't matter anyway, we all know what it would have been. And he even got it right once ...

ETA: Well, well, Glenn's toning things down in his old age ...
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 25.11.2013, 19:29
Chrisso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmensdorf, ZH
Posts: 563
Groaned at 31 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 432 Times in 203 Posts
Chrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Well done Aussies. England apart from Broad were woeful
He's still a cheat and a wanker. And as for Anderson..... don't even get me started...
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 25.11.2013, 19:34
Chrisso's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Birmensdorf, ZH
Posts: 563
Groaned at 31 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 432 Times in 203 Posts
Chrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond reputeChrisso has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Successful fishing trip

Throw out the line watch all the suckers bite
On the internet it's called trolling..... Troll
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 29.11.2013, 12:07
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,790
Groaned at 189 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 24,220 Times in 6,522 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

So, which team is this?


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25137093
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 29.11.2013, 14:54
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,596
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,932 Times in 4,519 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Judging by the caps, that's Australia cocking up the fielding. But that would make the batsmen English, which can't be right, since one of them appears to be walking. (At least, appears to be in the still image.)

Last edited by 22 yards; 29.11.2013 at 17:56.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 29.11.2013, 15:35
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,693
Groaned at 68 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Judging by the caps, that's Australia cocking up the fielding. But that would make the batsmen English, which can't he right, since one of them appears to be walking.
Makes it look like both teams are mentally weak and quite brainless. So pretty much a spot on simulation
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06.12.2013, 11:10
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,337
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,537 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Things going well again I see
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06.12.2013, 11:55
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 152 Posts
sudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Things going well again I see
Poms are second match giants :-)
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 06.12.2013, 16:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: La Cote
Posts: 357
Groaned at 18 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 280 Times in 136 Posts
Nyonais has made some interesting contributions
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Things have gone well for Australia so far. The Adelaide pitch is considered the most batting friendly in Australia and batting should be the easiest on the 3rd day. So the Poms should do well. To balance that Cook is already gone and the right Mitch is turning up every day. Its going to be interesting tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 06.12.2013, 21:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: suburbs of LA, USA
Posts: 934
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 873 Times in 439 Posts
BrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond reputeBrianJW has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Things have gone well for Australia so far. The Adelaide pitch is considered the most batting friendly in Australia and batting should be the easiest on the 3rd day. So the Poms should do well. To balance that Cook is already gone and the right Mitch is turning up every day. Its going to be interesting tomorrow.
This is the first drop in pitch at Adelaide and is described as drier than normal. It will play more like a 4th day pitch and England are in big trouble because they lost the toss, dropped so many catches, and we have so many runs on the board.

The pitch won`t be super easy to bat on. Expect turn and inconsistent bounce and the ball not coming through.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss German on YouTube! IronAngle Language corner 2 17.03.2012 13:18
Ashes 2 Ashes [TV series] andycs General off-topic 5 23.05.2010 11:12
Hi-Res videos on youtube Spanky General off-topic 2 04.03.2008 21:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0