Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > Football/sports
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #141  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:03
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Baar, ZG
Posts: 168
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 121 Times in 75 Posts
adamwoja is considered knowledgeableadamwoja is considered knowledgeableadamwoja is considered knowledgeable
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

You're Out!

Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:19
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
... the warning signs were there in the flukey Summer Ashes victory.
Indeed. Here are some interesting stats (totals for series ... I'll put the scores the wrong way around, to keep the English happy ):

2013 Ashes in England

AUS 2,735/89, average 30.73, RPO 3.37
ENG 2,856/85, average 33.60, RPO 2.99


2013/14 Ashes in Australia (after three Tests)

AUS 2,152/45, average 47.82, RPO 3.72
ENG 1,403/60, average 23.38, RPO 2.83


So a quick-and-dirty analysis could conclude that, based on batting averages, England was 9.3% better than Australia in the 2013 Ashes. In the current series, Australia has so far outplayed England by 104.5%.

The difference in scoring rates between the two teams is also quite telling -- Australia has consistently demonstrated intent, in both series. And it's well known that Australia has scored more than 400 runs in four of their 16 innings so far in the last two Ashes series; England hasn't passed that mark once.

And of course, no Englishman has yet scored a century in the current series ...
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:35
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,352
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,547 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Indeed. Here are some interesting stats (totals for series ... I'll put the scores the wrong way around, to keep the English happy ):

2013 Ashes in England

AUS 2,735/89, average 30.73, RPO 3.37
ENG 2,856/85, average 33.60, RPO 2.99


2013/14 Ashes in Australia (after three Tests)

AUS 2,152/45, average 47.82, RPO 3.72
ENG 1,403/60, average 23.38, RPO 2.83


So a quick-and-dirty analysis could conclude that, based on batting averages, England was 9.3% better than Australia in the 2013 Ashes. In the current series, Australia has so far outplayed England by 104.5%.

The difference in scoring rates between the two teams is also quite telling -- Australia has consistently demonstrated intent, in both series. And it's well known that Australia has scored more than 400 runs in four of their 16 innings so far in the last two Ashes series; England hasn't passed that mark once.

And of course, no Englishman has yet scored a century in the current series ...
Didn't one of them get a 120 today?
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:35
PlantHead's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,693
Groaned at 68 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,015 Posts
PlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond reputePlantHead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Indeed. Here are some interesting stats (totals for series ... I'll put the scores the wrong way around, to keep the English happy ):

2013 Ashes in England

AUS 2,735/89, average 30.73, RPO 3.37
ENG 2,856/85, average 33.60, RPO 2.99


2013/14 Ashes in Australia (after three Tests)

AUS 2,152/45, average 47.82, RPO 3.72
ENG 1,403/60, average 23.38, RPO 2.83


So a quick-and-dirty analysis could conclude that, based on batting averages, England was 9.3% better than Australia in the 2013 Ashes. In the current series, Australia has so far outplayed England by 104.5%.

The difference in scoring rates between the two teams is also quite telling -- Australia has consistently demonstrated intent, in both series. And it's well known that Australia has scored more than 400 runs in four of their 16 innings so far in the last two Ashes series; England hasn't passed that mark once.

And of course, no Englishman has yet scored a century in the current series ...

Stokes did today/last night.
The batting has been appalling, the bowling has gotten worse, probably partly due to fatigue.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:47
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Didn't one of them get a 120 today?
None of the English batsmen, no.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:54
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,084 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

yawn
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 17.12.2013, 13:58
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
yawn
Agreed, absolutely!
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,352
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,547 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
None of the English batsmen, no.
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:10
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Bet you had to look him up ...
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,352
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,881 Times in 1,547 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Bet you had to look him up ...
I did indeed!

But to be fair he was in England since he was 12 which isn't nearly as bad as KP or Trott.
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:12
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,084 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

from your link:


Benjamin Andrew Stokes (born 4 June 1991 in Christchurch, New Zealand), usually referred to as just Ben Stokes, is an English cricketer. He is an all-rounder who bowls right-arm fast-medium pace and bats left-handed. He plays for Durham and has represented the England ODI and Test team.
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:16
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
I did indeed!

But to be fair he was in England since he was 12 which isn't nearly as bad as KP or Trott.
You're right. After all, at 22, Stokes has spent nearly half his life in England.
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:23
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
from your link:


Benjamin Andrew Stokes (born 4 June 1991 in Christchurch, New Zealand), usually referred to as just Ben Stokes, is an English cricketer. He is an all-rounder who bowls right-arm fast-medium pace and bats left-handed. He plays for Durham and has represented the England ODI and Test team.
Just to be clear, before you posted, I edited the link in my post to show Ben Stokes' page from cricinfo (which makes only passing mention of his NZness).

Obviously Stokes is an "English cricketer", otherwise he wouldn't have been wearing that blue helmet today. It's the degree of Englishness that I'm calling into question, and it's nothing new, with a long line of imports (mostly from South Africa, it seems) "gracing" the English team for decades now. Australia has also had a couple in its Test team, but a couple is about it -- and generally, they're people who moved to Australia as children, having no say in the matter (e.g. Andrew Symonds). Which, to be fair, is Ben Stokes' situation.

I think Australia has fielded 20 foreign-born Test cricketers in its entire Test-playing history, including six in the first-ever Test side in 1877. I'll try to find the corresponding statistic for England.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:31
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,084 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
Just to be clear, before you posted, I edited the link in my post to show Ben Stokes' page from cricinfo (which makes only passing mention of his NZness).

Obviously Stokes is an "English cricketer", otherwise he wouldn't have been wearing that blue helmet today. It's the degree of Englishness that I'm calling into question, and it's nothing new, with a long line of imports (mostly from South Africa, it seems) "gracing" the English team for decades now. Australia has also had a couple in its Test team, but a couple is about it -- and generally, they're people who moved to Australia as children, having no say in the matter (e.g. Andrew Symonds). Which, to be fair, is Ben Stokes' situation.

I think Australia has fielded 20 foreign-born Test cricketers in its entire Test-playing history, including six in the first-ever Test side in 1877. I'll try to find the corresponding statistic for England.
what's your point? I'm not interested in your racial profiling. Its cricket.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:43
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
what's your point? I'm not interested in your racial profiling. Its cricket.
No racial profiling! I'd just like to see Australia play England one day, that's all.


In an era where clubs mean nothing any more (remember when Chelsea FC fielded a side where not one of the players on the pitch was born in England, let alone anywhere near Chelsea?), I'd like to think that national pride meant something. As a proud and patriotic Australian -- born there, spend much of my childhood there, but lived many years elsewhere -- I find it hard to understand how someone (KP, I'm looking at you) can suddenly convert to being a passionately patriotic citizen of a country other than that of his birth and genuinely support that country to the hilt.


Actually, in the case of KP, apparently he can't play for his country -- only for himself.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:51
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,084 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
No racial profiling! I'd just like to see Australia play England one day, that's all.

In an era where clubs mean nothing any more (remember when Chelsea FC fielded a side where not one of the players on the pitch was born in England, let alone anywhere near Chelsea?), I'd like to think that national pride meant something. As a proud and patriotic Australian -- born there, spend much of my childhood there, but lived many years elsewhere -- I find it hard to understand how someone (KP, I'm looking at you) can suddenly convert to being a passionately patriotic citizen of a country other than that of his birth and genuinely support that country to the hilt.

Actually, in the case of KP, apparently he can't play for his country -- only for himself.
KP's mother is English and he chose to play for England. Why do you have a problem with this?

How many Aborigines are there in the Aussie test side?
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 17.12.2013, 14:54
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
I think Australia has fielded 20 foreign-born Test cricketers in its entire Test-playing history, including six in the first-ever Test side in 1877. I'll try to find the corresponding statistic for England.
I forgot Usman Khawaja. I count 21 foreign-born Australian Test cricketers. I've probably missed one or two more.


I've counted 62 foreign-born players amongst England's Test cricketers so far, and that doesn't include players from the rest of the UK or even Ireland. Fair enough not to include Wales, since it's the England and Wales Cricket Board, after all, but Scotland and Ireland have donated a few players to England over the years.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 17.12.2013, 15:00
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
How many Aborigines are there in the Aussie test side?
Now? Who knows -- the bloodlines are so mixed now. There aren't any "pure" aborigines left in Australia any more.

What constitutes a "pure" English person? The English "race" is the product of Angles, Saxons, Picts, Norsemen, Romans and countless other invaders.

I'm talking about country of birth. It's one way of defining "origin". A country awarding somebody a passport doesn't make them "from" that country.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 17.12.2013, 15:04
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,084 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

For me KP qualifies for England, his mother is a British passport holder and he wants to play for England so thats good enough for me.

My daughter is born here but that doesn't make her Swiss
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 17.12.2013, 15:05
MidfieldGeneral's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,415
Groaned at 54 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,084 Posts
MidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond reputeMidfieldGeneral has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ashes 2013 on YouTube

Quote:
View Post
I forgot Usman Khawaja. I count 21 foreign-born Australian Test cricketers. I've probably missed one or two more.


I've counted 62 foreign-born players amongst England's Test cricketers so far, and that doesn't include players from the rest of the UK or even Ireland. Fair enough not to include Wales, since it's the England and Wales Cricket Board, after all, but Scotland and Ireland have donated a few players to England over the years.
do you have a degree in racial accountancy?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss German on YouTube! IronAngle Language corner 2 17.03.2012 13:18
Ashes 2 Ashes [TV series] andycs General off-topic 5 23.05.2010 11:12
Hi-Res videos on youtube Spanky General off-topic 2 04.03.2008 21:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0