| || |
| || || |
| || |
I got chatting to one of the Galaxy Tab team on a plane when I spotted he had one before it had been released. I had a good play with it on the flight and he was happy to answer questions about it. I liked it having an SD card, being usable as a phone (imagine that? a 3g device you can make phone calls on) and having a full size sim. I wasn't so keen on it not using a micro USB connector, non standard charging ports are one of my per peeves but the thing that really gave me pause though was that he said the bootloader was locked like the Motorola Milestone. Having been a victim of Motorolas customer 'service' (for 'service' read 'contempt') and knowing that the locked bootleader all but puts an end to clever geeks cooking up their own roms to get round manufacturer deficiencies. I would be very wary about buying the tab.
Mind you I don't really *get* tabs I just fancied a new toy.
| || || |
i've had the galaxy tab for a while now and must say i've been surprised by how much i use it. the size is great as it fits in my coat pocket, so i take it with me when i travel.
the larger screen makes it better for browsing, email, calendaring and todo (my main uses).
main gripes are:
- 380g is still too heavy, would be nice to cut this by half to make it more comfortable.
- screen is not wide enough, but i don't want the device to be physically wider, so need some way to have edge to edge screen
- mic and speaker placement is not very well placed for making calls (and i've been caught on the hop a few times and had to receive calls on this!)
- non-standard charging port (means i have to buy/carry extra cables)
- keep hitting the power/vol buttons. would be good to have these recessed.
nice to haves:
- nice if it was thinner
- replace rfs with better filesystem, though fast enough that i haven't converted it yet
- the extra sdcard slot is not needed if you don't use it for a media player, the on-board 16g is more than enough
- i hate the touchwiz interface, but the touchwiz apps aren't so bad (although the overall style is horrible)
i'd definitely buy a version 2 in the same form-factor if they made the screen wider and the device lighter/thinner.