Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 06.09.2011, 14:15
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,610
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,778 Times in 935 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Don't intend to hijack the thread, but I just read... and I can't believe my own eyes... that some farmers give homeopathic [sic] medicine to animals. I am still a bit baffled.

Has anyone heard about the placebo effect on animals? I know pets can be really smart, but able to understand they are being given medicine instead of just really foul tasting white droppings? Because that would kinda deny the placebo effect, right?



what is happening to the world? seriously?
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 06.09.2011, 14:26
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,461
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,458 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
Don't intend to hijack the thread, but I just read... and I can't believe my own eyes... that some farmers give homeopathic [sic] medicine to animals. I am still a bit baffled.

Has anyone heard about the placebo effect on animals? I know pets can be really smart, but able to understand they are being given medicine instead of just really foul tasting white droppings? Because that would kinda deny the placebo effect, right?



what is happening to the world? seriously?
Was covered in the original water thread. IIRC it doesn't make the animal better (except of course where the animal just got better anyway -people and animals just do you know). Rather the placebo effect in this case is the perception of the person giving the water to the animal rather than any effect on the animal itself.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 06.09.2011, 14:31
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,610
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,778 Times in 935 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
Was covered in the original water thread. IIRC it doesn't make the animal better (except of course where the animal just got better anyway -people and animals just do you know). Rather the placebo effect in this case is the perception of the person giving the water to the animal rather than any effect on the animal itself.
Ah ah! I was really wondering where the placebo talk would fit there. Thank you for clearing up the silliness thing!
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 06.09.2011, 14:32
cyrus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Emmenbruecke
Posts: 2,871
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 3,261 Times in 1,420 Posts
cyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond reputecyrus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
Was covered in the original water thread. IIRC it doesn't make the animal better (except of course where the animal just got better anyway -people and animals just do you know). Rather the placebo effect in this case is the perception of the person giving the water to the animal rather than any effect on the animal itself.
Not just that, the extra attention from the owner could well have an effect too.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 06.09.2011, 14:33
Lou's Avatar
Lou Lou is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,784
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,474 Posts
Lou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond reputeLou has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

It is also thought that the act of giving medicine (of any description) to an animal is enough to reduce anxiety in the owner, once the owner calms down stress levels in the animal also goes down helping with recovery from the illness. So you could say it is placebo by proxy.

Quote:
View Post
Was covered in the original water thread. IIRC it doesn't make the animal better (except of course where the animal just got better anyway -people and animals just do you know). Rather the placebo effect in this case is the perception of the person giving the water to the animal rather than any effect on the animal itself.

Last edited by Lou; 06.09.2011 at 15:41. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 06.09.2011, 14:35
Helm's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich<->St.Gallen
Posts: 1,610
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 2,778 Times in 935 Posts
Helm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond reputeHelm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
So you could say it is placebo by proxy.
Thank you for cheering up my day. Seriously...
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 07.09.2011, 12:12
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,027
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Just saw this and couldn't resist the urge to post it:

Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 14.09.2011, 19:30
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,243 Times in 5,007 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Industrial disaster near Swindon. Catastrophe looms.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 14.09.2011, 20:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
Don't intend to hijack the thread, but I just read... and I can't believe my own eyes... that some farmers give homeopathic [sic] medicine to animals. I am still a bit baffled.

Has anyone heard about the placebo effect on animals? I know pets can be really smart, but able to understand they are being given medicine instead of just really foul tasting white droppings? Because that would kinda deny the placebo effect, right?



what is happening to the world? seriously?
I think that was me stating that. Those treatments to the sheep were for things like increasing milk supply in nursing mothers, sick things that happen to sheeps mouths, ears, noses, orrifice infections, skin ailments, foot infections, etc ......

(sorry, I haven`t got the hang of multi-quoting posts, so I answer the following posts here).......

Believe me ... a small time farmer here has NO time to be molly-coddling sick animals........ or "making himself feel better by pushing something down the animals throat" and thereby transferring his own well-being to the animal .........who then recovers.

Well ... it works ....

This same old guy, two weeks ago, cut his leg open when a cutting disc broke while he was slicing up steel pipes. The disc sliced into his thigh, embedding itself there. He had to get himself to the doctor, his wife does not drive ..... he dosed himself with some-or-other homeopathic "rescue" water stuff ......grabbed his other "emergency" homeopathic medicines (for pain/blood loss, etc) and drove to the surgery. As he re-told the story .. he thought he may begin to pass out (not a major journey, just down the hill from his farm, thru village, out other side to extended housing area - so prepared himself to stop the car and his wife draw attention to the situation - but he made it to the doctor.....

He had to wait 2 hours for special sutures to be delivered for sewing up the inner workings before the wound could be closed ...... he spent this time grooving along on his homeopathic stuff.....

The stitching was carried out without injections or other medications for pain....2 days later he was walking around his farm attending to duties.

His wound has healed beautifully .. and not once did he ingest any of the usual medications used for a wound this size..... it was cut to the bone.

For a person to sleep at night with an injury of that size ... well ... if homeopathic medicines can take away the throbbing pain .... it must work.

And believe THIS one! His son is a Schreiner .... he sliced off the tip of a finger ... half a nail depth. He treated it with homeopathic stuff, wrapped it up ... and it healed .... and the flesh and nail all grew back to normal.............. huh?
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 14.09.2011, 20:28
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,579
Groaned at 212 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
I think that was me stating that. Those treatments to the sheep were for things like increasing milk supply in nursing mothers, sick things that happen to sheeps mouths, ears, noses, orrifice infections, skin ailments, foot infections, etc ......

(sorry, I haven`t got the hang of multi-quoting posts, so I answer the following posts here).......

Believe me ... a small time farmer here has NO time to be molly-coddling sick animals........ or "making himself feel better by pushing something down the animals throat" and thereby transferring his own well-being to the animal .........who then recovers.

Well ... it works ....

This same old guy, two weeks ago, cut his leg open when a cutting disc broke while he was slicing up steel pipes. The disc sliced into his thigh, embedding itself there. He had to get himself to the doctor, his wife does not drive ..... he dosed himself with some-or-other homeopathic "rescue" water stuff ......grabbed his other "emergency" homeopathic medicines (for pain/blood loss, etc) and drove to the surgery. As he re-told the story .. he thought he may begin to pass out (not a major journey, just down the hill from his farm, thru village, out other side to extended housing area - so prepared himself to stop the car and his wife draw attention to the situation - but he made it to the doctor.....

He had to wait 2 hours for special sutures to be delivered for sewing up the inner workings before the wound could be closed ...... he spent this time grooving along on his homeopathic stuff.....

The stitching was carried out without injections or other medications for pain....2 days later he was walking around his farm attending to duties.

His wound has healed beautifully .. and not once did he ingest any of the usual medications used for a wound this size..... it was cut to the bone.

For a person to sleep at night with an injury of that size ... well ... if homeopathic medicines can take away the throbbing pain .... it must work.

And believe THIS one! His son is a Schreiner .... he sliced off the tip of a finger ... half a nail depth. He treated it with homeopathic stuff, wrapped it up ... and it healed .... and the flesh and nail all grew back to normal.............. huh?
It does work, I lost a leg in a car accident a few years back, just a few pills of Arnica for the bleeding, and a constitutional dose of sulphor (1M !!) and my leg grew back within a week. Not even a scar (...and I can prove that !).
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 15.09.2011, 12:59
weejeem's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: .
Posts: 3,728
Groaned at 37 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 5,874 Times in 2,467 Posts
weejeem has a reputation beyond reputeweejeem has a reputation beyond reputeweejeem has a reputation beyond reputeweejeem has a reputation beyond reputeweejeem has a reputation beyond reputeweejeem has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
It does work, I lost a leg in a car accident a few years back, just a few pills of Arnica for the bleeding, and a constitutional dose of sulphor (1M !!) and my leg grew back within a week. Not even a scar (...and I can prove that !).
I got turned into a newt, but fortunately I was treated with a highly potent dilution of newt egg and newt sperm. It worked a treat and cured me entirely, so it did.


Apart from the habit of sleeping in the bath, sadly. I've been taking a dilution of water for that one, but no luck so far...
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 15.09.2011, 15:17
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,739
Groaned at 114 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 5,664 Times in 2,771 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
It does work, I lost a leg in a car accident a few years back, just a few pills of Arnica for the bleeding, and a constitutional dose of sulphor (1M !!) and my leg grew back within a week. Not even a scar (...and I can prove that !).
Unfortunately your brain was (side) affected?
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 20.10.2012, 10:24
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,006
Groaned at 110 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

I came across this extremely informative and helpful website this week.

http://www.howdoeshomeopathywork.com/

Certainly worth a look if you are interested in knowing more about homeopathy
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 11.03.2015, 08:45
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,461
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,458 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Australian meta study just out. Confirms beyond any reasonable doubt that homeopathy is useless:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...n-report-finds

“Based on the assessment of the evidence of effectiveness of homeopathy, NHMRC concludes that there are no health conditions for which there is reliable evidence that homeopathy is effective. People who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments for which there is good evidence for safety and effectiveness.”
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 11.03.2015, 09:10
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,243 Times in 5,007 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

So we can conclude anyone who makes money from homeopathy is a charlatan, and makers of the product are merely selling water at vastly inflated prices.
Reply With Quote
  #316  
Old 11.03.2015, 10:20
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
So we can conclude anyone who makes money from homeopathy is a charlatan, and makers of the product are merely selling water at vastly inflated prices.
Plenty of people make money out of useless things. Our children's doctor in Berlin prescribed homeopathic remedies for all kinds of things, but I don't know if it was because she was intentionally prescribing a placebo, or because she was a gullible, misguided moron. I suspect it was the latter.
Reply With Quote
  #317  
Old 11.03.2015, 10:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,642
Groaned at 25 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,148 Posts
Russkov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond reputeRusskov has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
So we can conclude anyone who makes money from homeopathy is a charlatan, and makers of the product are merely selling water at vastly inflated prices.
Yes, we should focus on more real things like virgin births and people walking on water.
Reply With Quote
  #318  
Old 11.03.2015, 11:12
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,967
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,243 Times in 5,007 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
...people walking on water.
Chuck Norris swims through land.
Reply With Quote
  #319  
Old 11.03.2015, 12:19
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,049
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,167 Times in 5,749 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Quote:
View Post
Chuck Norris swims through land.
He's an actor. His characters aren't real either.
Reply With Quote
  #320  
Old 13.11.2015, 10:52
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,461
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,458 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The medical advantages of homeopathy

Seems the NHS is going to see sense as well

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34744858
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dissillusion, homeopathy, placebo




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Permits: What the the advantages of a C permit? Gav Permits/visas/government 67 17.07.2014 17:55
Homeopathy - The logical conclusion NotAllThere Jokes/funnies 2 07.06.2011 23:06
Advantages and disadvantages of getting Swiss Nationality omtatsat Daily life 1 26.01.2011 12:07
What are advantages of L Permit sonu_kumar Permits/visas/government 6 13.08.2008 09:24
Advantages of having an EU passport kosifantutti Permits/visas/government 2 20.02.2008 17:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0