Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.01.2012, 07:51
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Biel
Posts: 109
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
lukenjenny is considered knowledgeablelukenjenny is considered knowledgeablelukenjenny is considered knowledgeable
3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

We are planning a three week vacation this summer to see Norway and Sweden. We have two young kids (3.5 year old and 4 month old) so we need to center the vacation around things/places that they will enjoy.

I was thinking of spending one week on the beach at Stavanger (at some point making a trip to visit the fjords)

One week in Oslo

One week in Stockholm

I am wondering if anyone has visited Norway and/or Sweden with young kids? Are these 3 places fairly family friends, or would you recommend somewhere different? Are there any "must sees" for kids? Also, I really want to see Sweden and that is why I have dedicated one week in Stockholm, but it is quite far from Norway. Is there a better city to visit in Sweden that is closer to Norway? Is Sweden even worth the extra week, or is it just like Norway? We could always spend all three weeks in Norway.

Anyways, I'm just starting to come up with ideas for this trip and would appreciate any advice, tips from others who have visited these places.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.01.2012, 07:58
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 3,714
Groaned at 154 Times in 106 Posts
Thanked 9,736 Times in 2,740 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

Quote:
View Post
We are planning a three week vacation this summer to see Norway and Sweden. We have two young kids (3.5 year old and 4 month old) so we need to center the vacation around things/places that they will enjoy.

I was thinking of spending one week on the beach at Stavanger (at some point making a trip to visit the fjords)

One week in Oslo

One week in Stockholm

I am wondering if anyone has visited Norway and/or Sweden with young kids? Are these 3 places fairly family friends, or would you recommend somewhere different? Are there any "must sees" for kids? Also, I really want to see Sweden and that is why I have dedicated one week in Stockholm, but it is quite far from Norway. Is there a better city to visit in Sweden that is closer to Norway? Is Sweden even worth the extra week, or is it just like Norway? We could always spend all three weeks in Norway.

Anyways, I'm just starting to come up with ideas for this trip and would appreciate any advice, tips from others who have visited these places.
Can't comment on your whole trip, but I'm a frequent traveler to Stavanger and if you only have a three week trip, I personally wouldn't spend a whole week there. A couple of days is enough, oil museum and the harbor front (if it's not underwater) and you're good to go. I always found Trondheim a really nice place to visit and the area around there beautiful to experience the vastness and beauty of the country. And as you have much more sunlight in the summer, the further north you go, the more you get to see.

Enjoy your trip in one of the nicest parts of the world.
__________________
Crash your karma into little bits of happiness
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.01.2012, 08:00
anowheels's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Not Zurich
Posts: 1,083
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 665 Times in 400 Posts
anowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputationanowheels has an excellent reputation
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

In Stockholm, your 3.5 year old will probably enjoy the Vasa Museum a lot - a restored warship from the 1600s. I'm not sure that your 4 month old will care

I haven't been to Norway, but thought that Stockholm was beautiful - you can take a day or overnight trip out on a ferry to an island in the archipelago, lots of great museums, and nice outdoor areas.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.01.2012, 08:20
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Biel
Posts: 109
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
lukenjenny is considered knowledgeablelukenjenny is considered knowledgeablelukenjenny is considered knowledgeable
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

Quote:
View Post
Can't comment on your whole trip, but I'm a frequent traveler to Stavanger and if you only have a three week trip, I personally wouldn't spend a whole week there. A couple of days is enough, oil museum and the harbor front (if it's not underwater) and you're good to go.
I have heard that Stavanger has the best beaches in Norway? I was thinking setting up a base camp of sorts on a beach and giving the kids a few days to play in the sand/water and then making a side trip to visit the fjords as well. We are not set on Stanvanger, if there are better kid-friendly beaches in Norway then would would go there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.01.2012, 08:25
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12,302
Groaned at 494 Times in 402 Posts
Thanked 11,410 Times in 5,788 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

Go by car (or motorcycle, and yes, my kids were camping by motorcycle at that age), and bring a tent.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.01.2012, 08:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,188
Groaned at 57 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 1,002 Times in 480 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

Quote:
View Post
Go by car (or motorcycle, and yes, my kids were camping by motorcycle at that age), and bring a tent.

Tom
4 month old in a baby bjorn and 3.5 year old riding bitch. Awesome!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.01.2012, 08:35
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Biel
Posts: 109
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
lukenjenny is considered knowledgeablelukenjenny is considered knowledgeablelukenjenny is considered knowledgeable
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

Quote:
View Post
Go by car (or motorcycle, and yes, my kids were camping by motorcycle at that age), and bring a tent.

Tom
Quote:
View Post
4 month old in a baby bjorn and 3.5 year old riding bitch. Awesome!
I would have to say that the 3 year old would think this would be the best vacation EVER! Of course, from my perspective, camping with the 2 little ones would be more work... but maybe it would be fun for a few of days (in between hotel stays )
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.01.2012, 08:40
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 158
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 60 Times in 36 Posts
Quebecman is considered knowledgeableQuebecman is considered knowledgeableQuebecman is considered knowledgeable
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

We were in Sweeden/Norway/Denmark for a month last summer with our 10 year old son. Stockholm was great (Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan,..). Renting a cabin at the Flam Campgroung (Norway) was great (Lots of possible short day trip, Fjord cruise, Flamsbana train ride, hiking, swimming in the fjord,...). Bergen was great (Museum, fish market,...). Stavanger was not great. Renting a cabin at Lomsesanden Campground (southern Norway) was great (Great beach, playground for kids, lots of kids). Oslo was nice. PM me if you want. The Rick Steves book (on Scandinavia) was useful.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.01.2012, 08:57
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 12,302
Groaned at 494 Times in 402 Posts
Thanked 11,410 Times in 5,788 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

Quote:
View Post
I would have to say that the 3 year old would think this would be the best vacation EVER! Of course, from my perspective, camping with the 2 little ones would be more work... but maybe it would be fun for a few of days (in between hotel stays )
My youngest started at 5 months, albeit in the sidecar, they didn't start riding on the back until 6 or 7 years old.

Even used to bring a baby bed and stroller, along with the tent, etc., all strapped into the luggage rack at the rear of the sidecar.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.02.2012, 22:14
tayna's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cham
Posts: 53
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
tayna has earned some respecttayna has earned some respect
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

I really think you should go to Sweden and if you want a city that is closer to Norway I would go to Gothenburg(second largest city). There you have a big amusement parc, Liseberg which I think the older one of the kids will love! Gothenburg is also a really cosy city with lots of coffee shops, good shopping, museums and you are also close to the ocean.
A heaven for kids is also the "World of Astrid Lindgren" where there is like a village with places/buildings and actors playing people from her fairytales. This is situated in Vimmerby.
A really good reason to go to Sweden is also that is A LOT cheaper than Norway...

As I'm Swedish feel free to ask me if you have questions, I hope you get a great vacation!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18.12.2012, 18:50
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 121
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 53 Times in 36 Posts
MKKara is considered knowledgeableMKKara is considered knowledgeableMKKara is considered knowledgeable
Re: 3 weeks to see Norway and Sweden

Quote:
View Post
We are planning a three week vacation this summer to see Norway and Sweden. We have two young kids (3.5 year old and 4 month old) so we need to center the vacation around things/places that they will enjoy.

I was thinking of spending one week on the beach at Stavanger (at some point making a trip to visit the fjords)

One week in Oslo

One week in Stockholm

I am wondering if anyone has visited Norway and/or Sweden with young kids? Are these 3 places fairly family friends, or would you recommend somewhere different? Are there any "must sees" for kids? Also, I really want to see Sweden and that is why I have dedicated one week in Stockholm, but it is quite far from Norway. Is there a better city to visit in Sweden that is closer to Norway? Is Sweden even worth the extra week, or is it just like Norway? We could always spend all three weeks in Norway.

Anyways, I'm just starting to come up with ideas for this trip and would appreciate any advice, tips from others who have visited these places.

Just wondering if you did this trip in the end and if so how was it?
I'm looking into a similar trip (minus the kiddies) in the spring and am trying to find ideas and recommendations.
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
norway, sweden




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How early would you see a doctor if you are pregnant? It is 8 or 10 weeks? Any norms swisstooth Family matters/health 26 26.03.2012 12:54
Norway and Switzerland have priciest ski passes The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 23.12.2011 09:35
B Permit: They said 2 to 3 weeks and it's been almost 7 weeks Quebecman Permits/visas/government 1 30.09.2011 22:29
Franc peg irks Norway and Canada The Local Swiss news via The Local 1 11.09.2011 20:23
Swizerland, Sweden and Swiss German squidmonkey Language corner 5 14.06.2011 11:32


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0