Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 27.08.2013, 14:40
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 429
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 281 Times in 147 Posts
cristina.m has an excellent reputationcristina.m has an excellent reputationcristina.m has an excellent reputationcristina.m has an excellent reputation
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Watch out for taxi scammers. check the money before you give it to the taxi-drivers. some might try to scam you and quickly change the note with a xerox-copy and then say you gave them a fake note.
Also be very patient with the personell. I love Barcelona, but i swear, the people there are sometimes just too rude.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 30.09.2013, 15:02
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 28 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 835 Times in 411 Posts
kiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputation
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Just came back from Barcelona....

-as an overall impression I was very underwhelmed by it.

Positive:
-Climate
-I wasn't robbed
-its relatively easy to communicate even if you're not a spanish (or catalan) speaker

Negatives:
-the constant fear of pickpockets and scams is tiring. Looking up at Sagrada Famillia while keeping your hands in your pockets is quite draining
-Speaking of the attractions...none of them really drew me. Maybe because I'm not much of a hispanophile and Spanish artists/architects never really did it for me
-The food is nothing special, very overpriced and the service is awful. Its hard to find a decent restaurant and if you do, it is packed so expect slow service
the city as a whole is terribly overpriced

PS. Tapas as a concept is terribly overrated
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 30.09.2013, 16:12
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,383
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,954 Times in 6,287 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Quote:
View Post
Just came back from Barcelona....

-as an overall impression I was very underwhelmed by it.

Positive:
-Climate
-I wasn't robbed
-its relatively easy to communicate even if you're not a spanish (or catalan) speaker

Negatives:
-the constant fear of pickpockets and scams is tiring. Looking up at Sagrada Famillia while keeping your hands in your pockets is quite draining
-Speaking of the attractions...none of them really drew me. Maybe because I'm not much of a hispanophile and Spanish artists/architects never really did it for me
-The food is nothing special, very overpriced and the service is awful. Its hard to find a decent restaurant and if you do, it is packed so expect slow service
the city as a whole is terribly overpriced

PS. Tapas as a concept is terribly overrated
If you fall for tourist traps, yes, it is expensive. You need to go where there is little to no tourists.

Sad you didn't enjoy it as much.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 30.09.2013, 16:22
kiwiguy08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 28 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 835 Times in 411 Posts
kiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputationkiwiguy08 has an excellent reputation
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Quote:
View Post
If you fall for tourist traps, yes, it is expensive. You need to go where there is little to no tourists.

Sad you didn't enjoy it as much.
Hi Nil

I did my best to stay out of the tourist traps and the expensive tourist restaurants. I only mentioned the familia because its a monstrosity that can be seen from most rooftops in barcelona. This reminds me of another thing...I liked the metro, its fairly cheap, clean, and frquent....however you can spend a lot of time going from place to place....because everything is so strewn about.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 30.09.2013, 19:26
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Quote:
View Post
Hi Nil

I did my best to stay out of the tourist traps and the expensive tourist restaurants. I only mentioned the familia because its a monstrosity that can be seen from most rooftops in barcelona. This reminds me of another thing...I liked the metro, its fairly cheap, clean, and frquent....however you can spend a lot of time going from place to place....because everything is so strewn about.
Actually, as in London for example, the metro is not always anywhere near as fast as it may seem. Barcelona is essentially walkable, and the city buses are very useful too. On my early visits I mostly used the metro but I do almost everything on the buses or walking nowadays. The taxis are a joke. The last time I took a taxi the driver was using a sat-nav to find the destination and even struggling to make it work properly. A professional taxi driver ought to know the city better than that (and it wasn't even an obscure destination we were going to, it was a well-known address)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 30.09.2013, 19:59
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,383
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,954 Times in 6,287 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

We walk a lot here, all the time. Public transport goes everywhere.

Next time, I can give you names for great and affordable restaurants most outside of the touristics area.

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 30.10.2013, 14:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bonn
Posts: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GironoXX has no particular reputation at present
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

I was in Barca in september. I can say that public transport including metro and buses are realy useful at times, but not allways. For example I have rented a scooter by http://vesping.com/ It was more comfortable for me to ride it everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02.12.2014, 18:34
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 105
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 127 Times in 51 Posts
Styger has earned some respectStyger has earned some respect
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Quote:
View Post
We walk a lot here, all the time. Public transport goes everywhere.

Next time, I can give you names for great and affordable restaurants most outside of the touristics area.


Hi Nil

We are going to Barcelona over Christmas, any chance you can post the names of some good but affordable restaurants outside the tourist-ie areas. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02.12.2014, 19:40
Aleydis's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 765
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 527 Times in 281 Posts
Aleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of many
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...Catalonia.html

We went and returned and they had the best Sangria
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02.12.2014, 19:41
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,383
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,954 Times in 6,287 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Quote:
View Post
Hi Nil

We are going to Barcelona over Christmas, any chance you can post the names of some good but affordable restaurants outside the tourist-ie areas. Thanks
Tourists are everywhere, you can't get away from them...

But try Kibuka in Gracia, for the most spectacular sushis you could dream of.

For great Tapas, Ciudad Condal. Lots of tourists but as much locals.

For great Argentinian cuisine, try Alfonsina on carrer de la Disputacio.

You'll have a great time and the food........ I hate you.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02.12.2014, 19:54
Aleydis's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 765
Groaned at 22 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 527 Times in 281 Posts
Aleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of manyAleydis has earned the respect of many
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Ciudad Condal looks amazing and is a must for next time!!! <drooling>

Thank you, Nil!!!

Last edited by Aleydis; 02.12.2014 at 19:56. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02.12.2014, 21:17
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 105
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 127 Times in 51 Posts
Styger has earned some respectStyger has earned some respect
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Quote:
View Post
Tourists are everywhere, you can't get away from them...

But try Kibuka in Gracia, for the most spectacular sushis you could dream of.

For great Tapas, Ciudad Condal. Lots of tourists but as much locals.

For great Argentinian cuisine, try Alfonsina on carrer de la Disputacio.

You'll have a great time and the food........ I hate you.
I will have to give the Sangria a miss as I am pregnant (although hubby will indulge I am sure!) but don't you worry, I will be using the pregnancy as my excuse of having to sample all the yummy food

Thanks for the tips - look forward to trying the Sushi (haven't had decent sushi since we moved here) and having one last holiday all alone with hubby for a very long time
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02.12.2014, 22:43
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,383
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,954 Times in 6,287 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

Quote:
View Post
I will have to give the Sangria a miss as I am pregnant (although hubby will indulge I am sure!) but don't you worry, I will be using the pregnancy as my excuse of having to sample all the yummy food

Thanks for the tips - look forward to trying the Sushi (haven't had decent sushi since we moved here) and having one last holiday all alone with hubby for a very long time
I can't remember the name but try the one with mint and mozzarella, to die for..

Ps, make a reservation, they rarely take you without as they are always full but don't worry, they do speak English. They have two restaurant and the best is in Gracia on Verdi. Nice stroll from there down to a little rambla for an after ice cream.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07.01.2015, 13:31
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 105
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 127 Times in 51 Posts
Styger has earned some respectStyger has earned some respect
Re: Question for those who visited Barcelona :)

We spent a week in Barcelona over the New Year and had a great time! Thanks for all the tips and good restaurant recommendations

We stayed in the Sants Estacio area and with the Metro close by, transport around the city was no problem – we bought a 5 and then 3 day travel card which allowed us to travel unlimited on all Metro’s, buses, trams and trains; we even caught the train back to the airport on this card (We paid EUR 5.90 pp on the A1 Aerobus from Airport to hotel when we could have caught the train after buying the travel card). Every time I entered any form of public transport some one would get up from their seat to allow me to sit…this was refreshing as with all the walking I always used this opportunity to sit for a while. We also hired a bicycle for a day which was a great way to see all the beaches and attractions along Port Olimpic and enjoyed a leasurely day away from the busy city centre.

We stayed at the Abba Sants Hotel- Spacious rooms, clean and fabulous breakfasts! We were very aware of all the comments on the pick pocketers and so were cautious to keep things out of our pockets and in a bag in front of us but never once did we feel vulnerable or threatened with the pressure of potential pick pocketers or undesirable characters; we even walked home after the New Years Eve Celebrations and felt comfortable and safe!

Apart from all the tourist attractions we found the food to be the best part of Spain – we did not have one meal that was anything but outstanding (Thanks Nil – Sushi was great!). Our favourites were: La Fitora in Port Olimpic – for EUR 12.80 we received a four course meal and a beer/glass of wine/cooldrink – outstanding value and really good food. Portonovo Silvestre on Creu Coberta Espanya was a small little restaurant with tables on the sidewalk – here we had the best Paella and the freshest mussels you can imagine. Colom Restaurant on Escudellers in the old town had really good tapas and Seafood. The St. Joseph Market along Las Rambles had everything from pastries, smoothies, cheeses, cold meats, Seafood and much more – we had lunch here quite often as the variety, convenience, value and freshness was unbelievable.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question for those who know Sweden... meloncollie General off-topic 12 30.07.2011 00:29
A question for those who would report the EF to "the authorities" Dougal's Breakfast Forum support 150 18.03.2011 17:33
For those who love HP Sauce... noella Food and drink 3 02.03.2010 13:30
Great chance for those who speak English Helena_T Jobs wanted 11 02.11.2007 16:01
For those who are seeking nightlife boy-wonder Entertainment & dining 7 30.10.2007 03:30


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0