Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:08
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Graubünden
Posts: 640
Groaned at 69 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 255 Posts
Wasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputationWasted has an excellent reputation
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

True brainwaves at work!

Arguing about pros and cons of chopping off a useful organ or part of body Vs bit of skin, which has no use anyway!

What would be the next discussion? Advs/Disadvs of clipping nails Vs clipping eye lashes?
  #242  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:11
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
I do get the feeling that many medical papers on the subject are written by those with an opinion to support.
Well the statistics are also very suspect. As is unfortunately the case with many medical statistics. Very much like the people who say broccoli is good one year, bad the next.

They definitely don't look at the larger picture and the greater population. Putting genital herpes aside for the West and AIDS aside for Africa, where I strongly believe are infections you can avoid if you choose to ... the conditions they describe are either not prevalent or are those that are typically treatable. It is true that in rare case, some of these infections can travel, but in most cases, they are just normal trips to the doc.

The scenario is no different from such infections in other parts of our body, but we don't take take drastic measure to stop them there by removing parts of our bodies.

In the end, it's an ancient tribal ritual that got absorbed into religion. People are free to do what they want to do for religion, but I don't think a parent has a right to hack their son's foreskin due to their superstitions. He can choose to do so when he is informed.
  #243  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:11
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,716
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,918 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
You're hilarious. If this was an argument between cutting a whole penis of and not then that would be a reasonable comparison.

Someone who is circumcised can still have sex. Can still enjoy sex. Saying someone has more pleasure with a foreskin than without is purely subjective.

You'd need have the same person doing a before and after with the same women, using the same positions, since there are so many different factors in having pleasurable sex. Saying 'I have a foreskin I have better sex LOL' is just so ignorant.
I haven't read all the publications and studies on the topic, but it seems to be a general consensus that sexual pleasured decreases for those who have had the chop later in life (when it could be compared). Still just statistics, but generally the best comparison available.
  #244  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:13
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
You're hilarious. If this was an argument between cutting a whole penis of and not then that would be a reasonable comparison.

Someone who is circumcised can still have sex. Can still enjoy sex. Saying someone has more pleasure with a foreskin than without is purely subjective.

You'd need have the same person doing a before and after with the same women, using the same positions, since there are so many different factors in having pleasurable sex. Saying 'I have a foreskin I have better sex LOL' is just so ignorant.
Dude, the foreskin is a part of my penis. Just like the earlobe is a part of my ear. Just like fingers are part of my hand. All a part of my body. I don't like cutting of parts of my body. Neither do most people.

As for the rest, I never said anything about it except make a sarcastic response. Argue with that person, not me.
  #245  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:16
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
If you remove the ear lobe, the rest of the ear is still there (and won't function as well).


I ask again, do you have any evidence, that chopping off the ear lobe will reduce the chance of infection?

dude, you are confusing posters

I was referring to chopping of the entire ear

As for your second questions, best to ask the circumcised. That's their basis.
  #246  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:16
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Saying someone has more pleasure with a foreskin than without is purely subjective.
Is pleasure purely subjective? Surely not . . . it's a valid area of scientific study, just as pain is.
  #247  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:20
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

No Porsche, you are hilarious. Cuz you think chopping off foreskin is just a trivial thing and a frivolous part of the penis.

Sorry dude, but mutilation ain't cool unless one personally choses to perform it.

Humans have had many barbaric traditions throughout time. Just because some religions continue to practise it or others based on health beliefs from Victorian times, doesn't mean the rest of us won't point out the complete folly of it.
  #248  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:20
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,092
Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 9,661 Times in 4,067 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
dude, you are confusing posters

I was referring to chopping of the entire ear

As for your second questions, best to ask the circumcised. That's their basis.
You can't chop an ear off. You can only cut the lobe off. The inner and middle ears and imbedded in your head.

Unless you are suggesting sealing up the hole. But that's akin to chopping off the whole penis.

Quote:
View Post
Is pleasure purely subjective? Surely not . . . it's a valid area of scientific study, just as pain is.
The problem is that pain (and pleasure) are very difficult to study as every person has their own threshold. Some people are able to withstand unbelievable amounts of pain, while others will break down with a mere paper cut.

So to some extent it is subjective.

Quote:
View Post
<snip> Just because some religions continue to practise it or others based on health beliefs from Victorian times, doesn't mean the rest of us won't point out the complete folly of it.
Ironically, the premise of avoiding STDs by being less promiscuous is more Victorian than the data from research being presented in support of the chop.
__________________
Never let right or wrong get in the way of a good opinion
  #249  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:20
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Dude, the foreskin is a part of my penis. Just like the earlobe is a part of my ear. Just like fingers are part of my hand. All a part of my body. I don't like cutting of parts of my body. Neither do most people.

As for the rest, I never said anything about it except make a sarcastic response. Argue with that person, not me.
Come now HB, your personal preference is fantastic but just that, a personal preference. That didn't form the body of your argument (excuse the pun). You compared the unknowable (which is more pleasurable, sex with a foreskin or sex without a foreskin) to that which cannot be experienced but is knowable (born without sight). That is, the latter is pretty much known by those who can see - it's objectively measurable. Foreskin vs. non foreskin sex is like comparing getting kicked in the nuts with childbirth for pain. We can guess, but never really know. So before you jump around with your "my logic's better than yours" hat on, please make sure it really is.
  #250  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:22
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,579
Groaned at 212 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post

After your much-needed counselling to get over the obvious trauma you've (seen others) experienced, let's get down to reality. It's a tiny, useless speck of skin. The newborn doesn't feel it being chopped - they rarely even cry, even at the stage where they are crying due to a wet nappy. Almost everyone goes on to lead happy, healthy lives afterwards and it's a fact that it prevents certain illnesses etc. So, relax, the millions upon millions of people who've had it does are doing just fine.
I am sure Nature has a perfect need and use for it , I see no sign of evolution doing away with it.

There is nothing to be gained from it, and a lot of risk of trauma, regret and anger later on.
Why bother ? Just leave things as they are. Even if just 0.001% have problems (100's , 1000's 10,000's ??) why even risk that ? I just cannot see any gain, over and above medical necessity.

I love my willy. I look after my willy. Willies are great. My partner agrees. I should ensure that my offspring have the same chance with theirs.
  #251  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:22
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Come now HB, your personal preference is fantastic but just that, a personal preference. That didn't form the body of your argument (excuse the pun). You compared the unknowable (which is more pleasurable, sex with a foreskin or sex without a foreskin) to that which cannot be experienced but is knowable (born without sight). That is, the latter is pretty much known by those who can see - it's objectively measurable. Foreskin vs. non foreskin sex is like comparing getting kicked in the nuts with childbirth for pain. We can guess, but never really know. So before you jump around with your "my logic's better than yours" hat on, please make sure it really is.
Again, I never said this. Someone else did. I made a response comparing the logic to other body removals. Please don't put other posters' words into my mouth.

But you can read those posters' response re the medical study of pleasure comparison.
  #252  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:22
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Is pleasure purely subjective? Surely not . . . it's a valid area of scientific study, just as pain is.
Just because something is an area of scientific study doesn't mean someone can't have an opinion on it.

People find different things more or less pleasurable do they not? Comparing the pleasure of one thing versus another is subjective.
  #253  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:22
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
No Porsche, you are hilarious. Cuz you think chopping off foreskin is just a trivial thing and a frivolous part of the penis.

Sorry dude, but mutilation ain't cool unless one personally choses to perform it.

Humans have had many barbaric traditions throughout time. Just because some religions continue to practise it or others based on health beliefs from Victorian times, doesn't mean the rest of us won't point out the complete folly of it.
Oh God....she's been stabbed in the side of the head for no reason and without her consent all as part of an anachronistic cultural stereotype. Cruel, vindictive, disgusting and shameful.

  #254  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:25
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
I look after my willy.
Yeah I clean my willy too, and those who do don't have to worry about said infections.

So chop or be clean? I will go with clean.

If you back to the medical studies, you will very clearly see they don't compare people who clean their willy vs those who are chopped. That would be a better comparison. But still the point doesn't matter as the infections they point out are rare or easily dealt with (others easily preventable by lifestyle choices).
  #255  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:27
porsch1909
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
No Porsche, you are hilarious. Cuz you think chopping off foreskin is just a trivial thing and a frivolous part of the penis.

Sorry dude, but mutilation ain't cool unless one personally choses to perform it.

Humans have had many barbaric traditions throughout time. Just because some religions continue to practise it or others based on health beliefs from Victorian times, doesn't mean the rest of us won't point out the complete folly of it.
You think that cutting off the foreskin of the penis is comparable to cutting out someone's colon to prevent cancer? Seriously? Think about it for a while.

And when did I say mutilation was cool? In fact I said I'm not for or against circumcision.

HIV/AIDS only really came to light in the 1980s IIRC so I'm not sure it was a Victorian health concern.
  #256  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:27
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
I am sure Nature has a perfect need and use for it , I see no sign of evolution doing away with it.
Then you misunderstand evolution. Evolution will keep body parts around where they're not needed any longer if they do not cause inefficiency towards preproduction (including finding a mate, feeding the kids etc). Like the eyebrows or appendix.
  #257  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:29
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Oh God....she's been stabbed in the side of the head for no reason and without her consent all as part of an anachronistic cultural stereotype. Cruel, vindictive, disgusting and shameful.

I refer the honourable gentleman to the answers given upthread some moments ago, re: the comparative pleasures to be gained from earlobes and nether regions.

Oh, and I wouldn't agree with piercing a baby's ears either.
  #258  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:30
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Oh God....she's been stabbed in the side of the head for no reason and without her consent all as part of an anachronistic cultural stereotype. Cruel, vindictive, disgusting and shameful.
Agreed.

Except it would not be anachronistic.

Circumcision arose in the middle east back when they needed a belief in a god to justify the world around them and possibly at a time when there was much disease (why the obsession with pigs, bottom feeders, foreskin).

On the other hand, trying to look pretty is still with us.



Who pierces their baby's ears anyways. Most wait till 10+.
  #259  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:31
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Then you misunderstand evolution. Evolution will keep body parts around where they're not needed any longer if they do not cause inefficiency towards preproduction (including finding a mate, feeding the kids etc). Like the eyebrows or appendix.
Don't eyebrows do some important things, like stopping perspiration dribbling into one's eyes and also allowing one to frown emphatically or express surprise?
  #260  
Old 29.07.2010, 16:31
HashBrown's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,297
Groaned at 70 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 3,015 Times in 1,340 Posts
HashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond reputeHashBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Then you misunderstand evolution. Evolution will keep body parts around where they're not needed any longer if they do not cause inefficiency towards preproduction (including finding a mate, feeding the kids etc). Like the eyebrows or appendix.
I guess you don't sweat or walk about in the rain. My eyebrows serve me well.
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circumcision in Switzerland [info ONLY please] wheels Family matters/health 48 23.03.2016 18:04
The Wrong Word(s) [non-native speaker slip-ups] Lob Language corner 218 29.03.2011 14:36
We were all wrong, cars and polution aren't the problem. TEXANSinNJ General off-topic 13 05.01.2008 17:16
Is it wrong to snigger at what your child is doing? Zug bound General off-topic 10 09.11.2007 23:11
What Time is It - Forum Timestamp wrong ! DaveA Forum support 1 21.09.2007 17:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0