Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #321  
Old 30.07.2010, 18:57
Ouchboy's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 3,032
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 4,545 Times in 1,776 Posts
Blog Entries: 19
Ouchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond reputeOuchboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Just me, why?

just wondering who is building strawmans.. field next to my house is awfully full with crows...
  #322  
Old 30.07.2010, 19:02
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

So it would be a ban or what? Gradual education?

Ideally I think we should encourage a move to non-consensual circumcision. Is there any real reason this couldn't be delayed until the boy was old enough to make the decision for themselves?

The difference between circumcision and dietary restrictions is that there is, arguably, some harm which befalls the child. It's only me who suffers if I deny myself a ham sandwich.
  #323  
Old 30.07.2010, 19:18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 219
Groaned at 31 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 56 Posts
pasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisance
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Just to bring this subject back on topic, rather than the probably 80-90% of chit chat, and banal responses that the moderators seem to leave, i'd be interested to know, from members of countries where it is performed, what sort of prevalence there is amongst the female population?

I read horror stories about it being performed in the UK on young teenage, by expats from certain countries, of whom there are probably a few here, and I'd be interested to hear their take on it. I don't know what possessed me, but I was in the company of some people from Cameroon this week and, whilst it is not common there, the consensus was that it was performed because the guys, did not trust the gals.
Is that still true in 2010?
  #324  
Old 30.07.2010, 19:50
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,093
Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 9,665 Times in 4,068 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Instead of distracting us, why not try Google or Wikipedia.

Here's the link.

AFAIK there truly is no medical research promoting female circumcision - or female genital mutilation, to give it its proper term. So really, this is truly off topic, as there is no discussion to be had about whether it is right or wrong.
  #325  
Old 30.07.2010, 21:32
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 219
Groaned at 31 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 56 Posts
pasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisancepasty is considered a nuisance
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Instead of distracting us, why not try Google or Wikipedia.

Here's the link.

AFAIK there truly is no medical research promoting female circumcision - or female genital mutilation, to give it its proper term. So really, this is truly off topic, as there is no discussion to be had about whether it is right or wrong.
Off topic? Distracting you? Let me just quote the title of the thread, for the benefit of you and the child that groaned "Circumcision: right or wrong?"
Perhaps you could explain what exactly was off topic?
We can all look at wikipedia, i was asking for opinions, and details of the prevalence. I don't recall asking if it was right or wrong
  #326  
Old 30.07.2010, 21:34
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Off topic? Distracting you? Let me just quote the title of the thread, for the benefit of you and the child that groaned "Circumcision: right or wrong?"
Perhaps you could explain what exactly was off topic?
We can all look at wikipedia, i was asking for opinions, and details of the prevalence. I don't recall asking if it was right or wrong
The title of the thread in no way dictates the topic. FGM is way off topic. If you'd read many (any) of the previous posts you'd know that. You're pretty belligerant tonight - everything OK?
  #327  
Old 30.07.2010, 21:38
Gastro Gnome's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,555
Groaned at 50 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,550 Posts
Gastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond reputeGastro Gnome has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Just to bring this subject back on topic, rather than the probably 80-90% of chit chat, and banal responses that the moderators seem to leave, i'd be interested to know, from members of countries where it is performed, what sort of prevalence there is amongst the female population?

I read horror stories about it being performed in the UK on young teenage, by expats from certain countries, of whom there are probably a few here, and I'd be interested to hear their take on it. I don't know what possessed me, but I was in the company of some people from Cameroon this week and, whilst it is not common there, the consensus was that it was performed because the guys, did not trust the gals.
Is that still true in 2010?
Actually you've taken it rather off topic. The OP was about male circumcision and that's what we're still discussing, many many posts later.

I'm fairly sure that there's a thread on female genital mutilation elsewhere and it is a worthwhile and disturbing topic. If you were to ask the question, 'right or wrong' I don't think you'd find anyone here saying 'right' . . . again, a clue that this isn't the right thread for that discussion.
  #328  
Old 31.07.2010, 04:09
JonnyLaRock!'s Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 498
Groaned at 116 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 543 Times in 262 Posts
JonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Instead of distracting us, why not try Google or Wikipedia.

Here's the link.

AFAIK there truly is no medical research promoting female circumcision - or female genital mutilation, to give it its proper term. So really, this is truly off topic, as there is no discussion to be had about whether it is right or wrong.
Talk about opening your mouth and letting your belly rumble, they are both devoid of scientific justification and are both ritual acts of scarification, as long as there is no need for the procedure, or other non invasive treatments are available for an existing condition!

Is that plain? do you understand? Maybe you should give me more links to bias hogwash masquerading as science; do you believe that the Earth is flat?
  #329  
Old 31.07.2010, 07:39
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
So it would be a ban or what? Gradual education?

Ideally I think we should encourage a move to non-consensual circumcision. Is there any real reason this couldn't be delayed until the boy was old enough to make the decision for themselves?

The difference between circumcision and dietary restrictions is that there is, arguably, some harm which befalls the child. It's only me who suffers if I deny myself a ham sandwich.
I do think that parents should just leave him as he is and let the child decide when he grows up if he wants to be circumcised or not. And as for female circumcision...... absolutely horrible.
  #330  
Old 31.07.2010, 17:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Geneva
Posts: 43
Groaned at 14 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Danilo has annoyed a few people around hereDanilo has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

What's better? mac or pc?
  #331  
Old 31.07.2010, 18:47
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Talk about opening your mouth and letting your belly rumble, they are both devoid of scientific justification and are both ritual acts of scarification, as long as there is no need for the procedure, or other non invasive treatments are available for an existing condition!

Is that plain? do you understand? Maybe you should give me more links to bias hogwash masquerading as science; do you believe that the Earth is flat?
You need to chill. Please. Chill.
  #332  
Old 01.08.2010, 18:46
Tom73's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KnonauerAmt
Posts: 401
Groaned at 68 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 81 Posts
Tom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthy
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
I do think that parents should just leave him as he is and let the child decide when he grows up if he wants to be circumcised or not. And as for female circumcision...... absolutely horrible.
If you ask members of some religious community, do you think those people will think and debate about this custom and circumcision will be stoped?

They probably think they have it done 500 years ago, so why should they question their religion and doom their custom.
Things will change like peoples way of thinking changed 60 or 100 years ago, it just needs time and education that those usless custom will disappear.

But religious customs are harder to get rid of than just a wrong general opinion.
In my opinion if Circumcision is done because of a religious custom. then it is dangerous if those community can not re think about their way how to live a religion.
I realy can not see that parents realy would want to get their baby circumscised, they do it only because the pressure in their religious community to follow the rules.

Here a short videoclip about this from Reuters :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5PCkYYzATc
Why do they need to carry on with this, whre is the point ? If circumcision is not questioned and not seen as an useless and stupid custom we risk that such things will go on including FGM which is also done in some Islamic comunities.

Last edited by Tom73; 01.08.2010 at 19:07.
  #333  
Old 01.08.2010, 18:58
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
And as for female circumcision...... absolutely horrible.
Can we please stop talking about Female Genital Mutilation in this thread. It's clear agenda setting and has no connection whatsoever with male circumcision - it's like comparing toenail clipping with limb removal.
  #334  
Old 01.08.2010, 19:23
Tom73's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KnonauerAmt
Posts: 401
Groaned at 68 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 81 Posts
Tom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthy
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

But you can not deny that the reasons why circumcision and female genital mutilation is performed, is around the same.

There is also different kinds of FGM http://www.gfmer.ch/Medical_educatio...ansen_2006.pdf,

but at the end it realy does not make a difference why circumcision and FGM is made. It is done because people belive that this nonesense custom must be performed.
  #335  
Old 01.08.2010, 19:23
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rafz
Posts: 123
Groaned at 48 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Custodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisance
Re: Circumcision in Switzerland

If your god wanted the kid to be without foreskin then he would have created the kid without one. The ignorance and dumbness of humans constantly amazes me. IF YOUVE GOT A UNI DEGREE, WHY DID YOU GO TO SUCH EFFORT? GOING BY YOUR LOGIC, GOD CREATED YOU WITHOUT IT!
  #336  
Old 01.08.2010, 19:32
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rafz
Posts: 123
Groaned at 48 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Custodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisanceCustodian is considered a nuisance
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Quote:
View Post
Off topic? Distracting you? Let me just quote the title of the thread, for the benefit of you and the child that groaned "Circumcision: right or wrong?"
Perhaps you could explain what exactly was off topic?
We can all look at wikipedia, i was asking for opinions, and details of the prevalence. I don't recall asking if it was right or wrong
On girls its simple mutilation on boys not. All non jews should just let the child decide himself when he is 18.
  #337  
Old 01.08.2010, 19:35
Tom73's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KnonauerAmt
Posts: 401
Groaned at 68 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 81 Posts
Tom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthyTom73 is considered unworthy
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

Good point, why are religious dogmas allowed which are responsible for cutting around on Girls and Boys privat parts, people thinking it is normal and should be performed without to question?

Dogma = compulsion Neurosis
  #338  
Old 01.08.2010, 20:47
KarlN's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,258
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 301 Times in 183 Posts
KarlN has a reputation beyond reputeKarlN has a reputation beyond reputeKarlN has a reputation beyond reputeKarlN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

I wonder how many of you complaining, and getting uptight about male circumcision, have actually been circumcised ??
Circumcision has been around for thousands of years, it affects no one and harms no one.
It just is as it is. Every parent has a free choice whether to do it or not , as does every adult who has not been circumcised. There are far worse choices in life to be made. If you feel as a parent it shoould not be done , then dont do it. If you feel its what you want for your child, then just do it. Those of you who find it abhorrent, thats ok, its your choice, but please lets not get fanatical about it.
__________________
www.soul-healing.ch
  #339  
Old 01.08.2010, 21:02
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 60
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 43 Times in 27 Posts
Mapache has earned some respectMapache has earned some respect
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

No, actually I've never heard of a circumcision complaint either.[/QUOTE]

Well, actually you have -- you groaned at me a couple of days ago for complaining about mine. I do resent that I was circumcised as a baby in the US. There's almost certainly a loss of sensitivity, and there is a loss of the natural gliding action of the skin during sex, which reduces friction and can prevent irritation in the woman. It also reduces the need for lubricants (ever wonder why those are so popular in the US but not Europe)?
  #340  
Old 01.08.2010, 21:06
KarlN's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,258
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 301 Times in 183 Posts
KarlN has a reputation beyond reputeKarlN has a reputation beyond reputeKarlN has a reputation beyond reputeKarlN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Circumcision: right or wrong?

The i suggest you go and see a doctor.... I have had no such problems ...

Quote:
View Post
No, actually I've never heard of a circumcision complaint either.
Well, actually you have -- you groaned at me a couple of days ago for complaining about mine. I do resent that I was circumcised as a baby in the US. There's almost certainly a loss of sensitivity, and there is a loss of the natural gliding action of the skin during sex, which reduces friction and can prevent irritation in the woman. It also reduces the need for lubricants (ever wonder why those are so popular in the US but not Europe)?[/QUOTE]
Closed Thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Circumcision in Switzerland [info ONLY please] wheels Family matters/health 48 23.03.2016 18:04
The Wrong Word(s) [non-native speaker slip-ups] Lob Language corner 218 29.03.2011 14:36
We were all wrong, cars and polution aren't the problem. TEXANSinNJ General off-topic 13 05.01.2008 17:16
Is it wrong to snigger at what your child is doing? Zug bound General off-topic 10 09.11.2007 23:11
What Time is It - Forum Timestamp wrong ! DaveA Forum support 1 21.09.2007 17:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0