Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > General off-topic
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 10.09.2010, 05:24
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
KINDLE UPDATE!

So, I finally have my new toy in hand.
Thanks for the review seeingbee. Can you please confirm whether or not the web browser (in the experimental submenu) works off 3G and on what network is the Kindle connecting to. In the US and certain European countries (e.g. Sweden) web browsing seems to be included in your subscription, but Amazon refuse to confirm whether web access is universal.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10.09.2010, 07:42
fingerscrossed's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreux
Posts: 251
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 169 Times in 91 Posts
fingerscrossed has no particular reputation at present
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the review seeingbee. Can you please confirm whether or not the web browser (in the experimental submenu) works off 3G and on what network is the Kindle connecting to. In the US and certain European countries (e.g. Sweden) web browsing seems to be included in your subscription, but Amazon refuse to confirm whether web access is universal.
They use Vodafone in the UK and 'partner networks' elsewhere. I would imagine its Swisscom here but Amazon probably do their billing with Vodafone.

The browsing is included worldwide with no roaming charges etc but dont expect anything fancy like flash - browsing is definitely a secondary feature.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12.09.2010, 15:23
seeingbee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 408 Times in 198 Posts
seeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond reputeseeingbee has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the review seeingbee. Can you please confirm whether or not the web browser (in the experimental submenu) works off 3G and on what network is the Kindle connecting to. In the US and certain European countries (e.g. Sweden) web browsing seems to be included in your subscription, but Amazon refuse to confirm whether web access is universal.
hi castro... sorry it has taken me while to report back. busy week. just wanted to let you know i am currently writing this on a kindle from aboard a train. certainly not speedy but fine in a pinch especially since i dont have a smartphone. keyboard not the gretest... note my lack of punctuation aside from period. need to acess numbers and punctuation from a submenu which just takes too long. so yes browsing on 3g works fine here.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 20.09.2010, 15:43
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

My Kindle 3G arrived on Friday and so far I'm very impressed. Its thin, light and the screen is one of the best I've ever seen on an e-reader, the contrast and resolution are paper-like and 3G signal is rock solid. Converting all my existing ebooks to mobi format was pretty painless too, thanks to Calibre.

If you are looking into getting one, my only advice would be to ignore the wifi version and get the wifi+3G, because having your newspapers pushed to your device each morning/evening or surfing the net gratis is worth more than the $50 price difference.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 27.09.2010, 12:36
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Just a quick note for anyone thats ordered their Kindle from Amazon.com. You will get a 2 prong US charger in the box which they can't do anything about, however if you write an email of complaint to their customer services they will ask you to order the EU adaptor as a seperate item and then refund you the cost + shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 27.09.2010, 23:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,181
Groaned at 528 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 11,933 Times in 4,672 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
My Kindle 3G arrived on Friday and so far I'm very impressed. Its thin, light and the screen is one of the best I've ever seen on an e-reader, the contrast and resolution are paper-like and 3G signal is rock solid. Converting all my existing ebooks to mobi format was pretty painless too, thanks to Calibre.

If you are looking into getting one, my only advice would be to ignore the wifi version and get the wifi+3G, because having your newspapers pushed to your device each morning/evening or surfing the net gratis is worth more than the $50 price difference.
Hi Castro, can you please explain what you mean by browsing gratis... does it come with the 3G SIM already inside then and set to a particular config?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 28.09.2010, 00:51
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Hi Castro, can you please explain what you mean by browsing gratis... does it come with the 3G SIM already inside then and set to a particular config?
Yes, its got a SIM pre-installed which the user has no access to. As soon as you switch it on, it will connect to whatever network has the strongest signal and the one Amazon has roaming agreements with. Amazon pick up your data tab for downloading books, periodicals, newspapers etc.. however the browser feature is a side function which also seems to work without charge. People say Amazon may introduce a charge in the future, but its been there for some time now and I guess that basic browsing only uses up a few KBs e.g. you can't watch streamed content and big sites don't render so well so its a minor cost to the company.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 28.09.2010, 01:50
edu edu is offline
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 26
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
edu has no particular reputation at present
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

I am sold! Especially by Castro's and Singbees posts. The only question I still have is while activating the Kindle with an US amazon account will result in higher charges for download. I heard these two things:

1) Using your Amazon US account will get you charged 1.99 usd extra for each book you download out of US since you are basically an american customer abroad; and
2) Using you Amazon US account gives you access to a higher inventory of books....

Are those statements correct?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 28.09.2010, 10:47
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
I am sold! Especially by Castro's and Singbees posts. The only question I still have is while activating the Kindle with an US amazon account will result in higher charges for download. I heard these two things:

1) Using your Amazon US account will get you charged 1.99 usd extra for each book you download out of US since you are basically an american customer abroad; and
2) Using you Amazon US account gives you access to a higher inventory of books....

Are those statements correct?
You need to confirm whether that $1.99 surcharge is just for delivery by whispernet (3G) or a general additional cost? If its the former, you just need to avoid 3G delivery and instead download it over wifi or save the file to your computer and transfer it over USB. With regards to number of books, I think the US store does have more but then there are ways and means of buying/downloading it elsewhere. You may also find that there are books in the International Amazon store that are not available in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 28.09.2010, 11:34
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,181
Groaned at 528 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 11,933 Times in 4,672 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Yes, its got a SIM pre-installed which the user has no access to. As soon as you switch it on, it will connect to whatever network has the strongest signal and the one Amazon has roaming agreements with. Amazon pick up your data tab for downloading books, periodicals, newspapers etc.. however the browser feature is a side function which also seems to work without charge. People say Amazon may introduce a charge in the future, but its been there for some time now and I guess that basic browsing only uses up a few KBs e.g. you can't watch streamed content and big sites don't render so well so its a minor cost to the company.
When you say that they "pay for books"... you mean they have a free selection available to everyone but others still need to be paid for (eg: kindle editions of premium books from Amazon site)? I imagine unlimited book downloads would be too much to hope for...
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 28.09.2010, 11:47
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
When you say that they "pay for books"... you mean they have a free selection available to everyone but others still need to be paid for (eg: kindle editions of premium books from Amazon site)? I imagine unlimited book downloads would be too much to hope for...
Sorry, yes you pay for the book and its delivered to your Kindle free of charge over the 3G network. However there are alot of free books in the Amazon store, especially the older classics so they would be completely free.

The only time you pay for data is when you email a document, PDF etc.. to your device over 3G and then its something like $0.15 a MB to cover the cost of the data transfer. You get an anything@kindle.com email address which receives the document, formats it if necessery and then sends it out to your device. Again you only pay if you retrieve the files over 3G, if you connect using wifi its free.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 11.10.2010, 23:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 936
Groaned at 74 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 916 Times in 553 Posts
yacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputation
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

I consider getting Kindle, but mainly for reading PDF documents - technical documents with occasional graph or schematic. I wonder how good or bad is Kindle DX for this purpose. I heard that the smaller Kindle's screen is just too small for that.
The problem is that the price of Kindle DX approaches that of Apple's iPad.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12.10.2010, 00:15
Miss-Lizzy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 583
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 146 Times in 77 Posts
Miss-Lizzy has earned the respect of manyMiss-Lizzy has earned the respect of manyMiss-Lizzy has earned the respect of many
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

When you guys say, web browsing somewhat works... I assume it works for things like EF and other sites anywhere in the world? Does that mean you can also view your emails, e.g. for online accounts like gmail or things like online train times for instance? That would be a major selling point for me, as I'm sick and tired of getting charged huge sums when turning on the data roaming on my iPhone whilst being abroad.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12.10.2010, 00:38
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
When you guys say, web browsing somewhat works... I assume it works for things like EF and other sites anywhere in the world? Does that mean you can also view your emails, e.g. for online accounts like gmail or things like online train times for instance? That would be a major selling point for me, as I'm sick and tired of getting charged huge sums when turning on the data roaming on my iPhone whilst being abroad.
Well Gmail works for me, but some UK based users have reported issues. The thing we have to remember is that web access is in the experimental stage so Amazon are within rights to withdraw it at any time.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 27.10.2010, 15:59
TLC's Avatar
TLC TLC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 38 Times in 18 Posts
TLC has earned some respectTLC has earned some respect
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Have any Kindle owners (latest version) tried downloading magazines yet? It's not a deal-breaker for me as I plan to order a Kindle anyway, but I am curious if anyone has tried and what their experience is. The Kindle Magazine store doesn't seem to carry many titles, and various reviews report missing text/content/graphics...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 27.10.2010, 17:27
Hulett's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hulett has no particular reputation at present
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

I would go for the kindle 3 i have one and its great.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 29.11.2010, 17:32
brüder's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uetikon am See, ZH
Posts: 175
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 143 Times in 62 Posts
brüder is considered knowledgeablebrüder is considered knowledgeablebrüder is considered knowledgeable
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Decided to get myself a Kindle 3, but now I see amazon.com can't deliver until January , and digitec have told me they don't know when they'll have more in stock... amazon.co.uk do have stock but won't ship outside the uk (I don't have a uk address)..

anyone know of any other way I can get my hands on one before Christmas?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 29.11.2010, 17:47
Castro's Avatar
à la mod
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Basel-Land of Smiles
Posts: 4,770
Groaned at 91 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 12,711 Times in 4,143 Posts
Castro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond reputeCastro has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Decided to get myself a Kindle 3, but now I see amazon.com can't deliver until January , and digitec have told me they don't know when they'll have more in stock... amazon.co.uk do have stock but won't ship outside the uk (I don't have a uk address)..

anyone know of any other way I can get my hands on one before Christmas?
They had them in Dixons Duty Free Gatwick, 144 GBP for the 3G model (which is cheaper than the Amazon.co.uk price)
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 29.11.2010, 18:08
fingerscrossed's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreux
Posts: 251
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 169 Times in 91 Posts
fingerscrossed has no particular reputation at present
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Quote:
View Post
Decided to get myself a Kindle 3, but now I see amazon.com can't deliver until January , and digitec have told me they don't know when they'll have more in stock... amazon.co.uk do have stock but won't ship outside the uk (I don't have a uk address)..

anyone know of any other way I can get my hands on one before Christmas?
Sounds like you need to sweet-talk an EFer who's going back to the UK and returning to Switzerland in December. I'm not unfortunately and I'm at the wrong end of Switzerland, but there must be somebody!
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 30.11.2010, 11:50
brüder's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Uetikon am See, ZH
Posts: 175
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 143 Times in 62 Posts
brüder is considered knowledgeablebrüder is considered knowledgeablebrüder is considered knowledgeable
Re: What eBook Reader to buy?

Thanks for the tips! I know someone who'll be in London and back before Christmas, so will check with them...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For sale (Basel): Amazon Kindle e-book reader vtorrano Items for sale 2 17.06.2010 15:38
English Proof Reader/Author Available Shirls Jobs wanted 0 25.03.2010 11:29
EF Reader Survey Uncle Max Forum support 34 30.10.2009 13:52
Nature Lover and Book Reader rajesht2008 Introductions 4 08.09.2008 21:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0