Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.06.2012, 02:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bern/Zurich
Posts: 75
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 6 Posts
johnmayer has annoyed a few people around herejohnmayer has annoyed a few people around here
Accident insurance after unemployment

Hi,
Since May I am unemployed. My employer last told me that I must get accient insurance starting from 1st if June as after end of May my company will stop paying acciental insurance.

Also, I am getting unemployment benefits from RAV/BECO. I read on this comparis page that if one receives daily compensation for salary loss, SUVA provides with accident coverage. So does that mean I donot need to buy accident insurance from my health insurance provider ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.06.2012, 02:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Romandie
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ThomasMann has made some interesting contributions
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
Since May I am unemployed. My employer last told me that I must get accient insurance starting from 1st if June as after end of May my company will stop paying acciental insurance.

Also, I am getting unemployment benefits from RAV/BECO. I read on this comparis page that if one receives daily compensation for salary loss, SUVA provides with accident coverage. So does that mean I donot need to buy accident insurance from my health insurance provider ?
I am not that familiar with your situation yet the basic is the following :

Check if the unemployment benefit RAV/BECO cover you for accident.
if it does, you are fine and don't need to adjust anything.
if it doesn't, then you may have to call your insurance and ask them to include the accident in your insurance.

++

Some technicities or philosophy

The Swiss law wants you to be insured. Therefore you will be insured. If an accident takes place and you have no insurance for accident, your health insurance will cover you and will be asking you to pay the accident premiums for the period you should have had the insurance with them.
Therefore you will always be covered !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ThomasMann for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.06.2012, 03:19
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 998
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Quote:
View Post
I am not that familiar with your situation yet the basic is the following :

Check if the unemployment benefit RAV/BECO cover you for accident.
if it does, you are fine and don't need to adjust anything.
if it doesn't, then you may have to call your insurance and ask them to include the accident in your insurance.

++

Some technicities or philosophy

The Swiss law wants you to be insured. Therefore you will be insured. If an accident takes place and you have no insurance for accident, your health insurance will cover you and will be asking you to pay the accident premiums for the period you should have had the insurance with them.
Therefore you will always be covered !
Some interesting points.... but

"The Swiss law wants you to be insured. Therefore you will be insured. If an accident takes place and you have no insurance for accident, your health insurance will cover you and will be asking you to pay the accident premiums for the period you should have had the insurance with them.
Therefore you will always be covered !"

what a load of C(*p... if you just got here and were in probation period (i.e. the 90 days to sort your affairs out) fine, but having been here and not covered you are simply NOT covered and in breach of Swiss law (now some companies may turn a blind eye and back date but that is beyond the point) . EVERYONE must have basic cover including accident and this is only taken into the employer's hand if you work for more than 8 hours a week. If one is not then they have to have accident added to their policy....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.06.2012, 05:11
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Romandie
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ThomasMann has made some interesting contributions
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Quote:
View Post
Some interesting points.... but

"The Swiss law wants you to be insured. Therefore you will be insured. If an accident takes place and you have no insurance for accident, your health insurance will cover you and will be asking you to pay the accident premiums for the period you should have had the insurance with them.
Therefore you will always be covered !"

what a load of C(*p... if you just got here and were in probation period (i.e. the 90 days to sort your affairs out) fine, but having been here and not covered you are simply NOT covered and in breach of Swiss law (now some companies may turn a blind eye and back date but that is beyond the point) . EVERYONE must have basic cover including accident and this is only taken into the employer's hand if you work for more than 8 hours a week. If one is not then they have to have accident added to their policy....
In the case of Johnmayer :

If someone loses his job, runs out of unemployment benefit ... does not change his insurance by including the accident and therefore has no accident coverage anymore and gets into an accident; he will be covered by his health insurance and will be asked to pay the premium part for the accident since the date he wasn't insured for accident anymore.

I do not see where it is a load of C or whatever. You are approaching it under another angle than the one started by Johnmayer in this thread. (to whom i was answering to help him under the form of : "what to do" and under the "if you don't do it, where do you stand" that i called technicities or philosophy !!).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ThomasMann for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 04.06.2012, 07:56
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,969
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,573 Times in 5,408 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

If you are unemployed and receiving benefits, you have accident insurance.

You do NOT have insurance against loss of benefits when you are ill.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 04.06.2012, 15:10
saint7uk's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Samstagern
Posts: 998
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 586 Times in 358 Posts
saint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond reputesaint7uk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Quote:
View Post
In the case of Johnmayer :

If someone loses his job, runs out of unemployment benefit ... does not change his insurance by including the accident and therefore has no accident coverage anymore and gets into an accident; he will be covered by his health insurance and will be asked to pay the premium part for the accident since the date he wasn't insured for accident anymore.

I do not see where it is a load of C or whatever. You are approaching it under another angle than the one started by Johnmayer in this thread. (to whom i was answering to help him under the form of : "what to do" and under the "if you don't do it, where do you stand" that i called technicities or philosophy !!).

In his case fine and your points were good. However within this forum some may read the post, misinterprate it and think they can have insurance without accident coverage or simply avoid it until they have a claim and if not they have had a result. The second part of the post reads like a you don't really have to worry about it...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.06.2012, 02:02
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Romandie
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ThomasMann has made some interesting contributions
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Quote:
View Post
In his case fine and your points were good. However within this forum some may read the post, misinterprate it and think they can have insurance without accident coverage or simply avoid it until they have a claim and if not they have had a result. The second part of the post reads like a you don't really have to worry about it...
Wow !!
I didn't mean saying that ! Sorry for whom misunderstood me.
In fact i was focusing on the practical safety/insurance coverage side while you were focusing on the legal side.

++

the law says that YOU HAVE TO BE COVERED for accident as well !
when you are not covered for the accident, you are in breach of the law

Yet the law also handles the situation (in case of absence of accident coverage) by assigning your health insurance as your accident insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.04.2015, 15:41
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 721
Groaned at 124 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 583 Times in 271 Posts
Troublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthy
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Hi all

I want to ask the opposite.

Unemployed EU-15 person has accident insurance along with health insurance and pays from his pocket while job hunting.

Then he finds work and employer says he must cancel his accident insurance since he will get one from company. Does he just ring the company and ask to cancel or doe she need to pay until end of year and lose all that money?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.04.2015, 15:52
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,506
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,034 Times in 2,432 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

The health insurance will have a procedure to notify them when you change from being employed or not.... it's easy, and they will do it on a month basis (no need to pay the whole year).... but from my experience, they may or many not back-date it, so best to inform them quickly to ensure the changeover is smooth.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.04.2015, 15:54
Troublawesome's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 721
Groaned at 124 Times in 75 Posts
Thanked 583 Times in 271 Posts
Troublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthyTroublawesome is considered unworthy
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.04.2015, 16:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,763
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,084 Times in 6,284 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Accident insurance is an additional extra insurance & you may not be able to cancel it ....... Possibly 2 year contract ! I had health with 1 company & accident with another for 18 months. Was also insured through work for most of the time .
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.04.2015, 19:08
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zürich
Posts: 352
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 214 Times in 126 Posts
transeuropeancheese has made some interesting contributions
Re: Accident insurance after unemployment

Quote:
View Post
Accident insurance is an additional extra insurance
I think you are confusing the legaly mandated accident insurance with supplemental insurances that give you daily indemnities in case of accident.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accident insurance, suva, unemployed




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What to do after accident russiangeneva Transportation/driving 42 10.06.2013 05:35
Spider or poisonous insect bite - Accident insurance or Sickness Insurance colinwheeler Insurance 36 26.08.2011 15:34
[Accident Insurance UVG] inform insurance frens Insurance 3 08.07.2011 21:15
Irrevocable health insurance choice when returning to work in CH after unemployment? ladyofzlac Insurance 2 01.04.2010 16:20
Compensation after Cycling Accident ecosse_011172 Transportation/driving 9 28.07.2008 13:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0