Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.11.2015, 14:01
muh muh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
muh has no particular reputation at present
accident vs emergency abroad...buying insurance

Greetings English Forum,

I've spent a lot of time reading up on all the insurance posts (incredibly helpful- love the "stickies") and consulting comparis, and still have a few questions regarding insurance. If anyone has time to read and offer feedback it would definitely be appreciated!

My husband and I (from US) have to buy Swiss insurance by the end of the month....he is employed, I'm not. Our current insurance is truly excellent, but we can't afford to keep it and buy Swiss coverage too, so we are trying to learn all we can about choosing.
I know his accident coverage will be included, mine won't, but what exactly does "accident" mean? I read that it applies to everything "related to an accident", and that for him a franchise would not apply, and for me it would. But what if the accident is out of the canton or out of the country??

For example, with "basic" insurance....I'm out of the canton or out of the country, and fall down a flight of stairs and break my arm (or any other such situation)...that's an accident, but the subsequent medical care is for an emergency. Will I be covered? This is my biggest question/dilemma.

What defines accident vs emergency? (and if it only relates to having franchise accessed, for me it is a non-issue). I would think the definition would be consistent across all basic insurance policies, but some insurance agents (they are calling daily, maybe they know we are looking) seem to give conflicting info.

I keep seeing these supplementary options, for example, "90% coverage "abroad" for outpatient treatment" ...the only time we would want to get treatment abroad is if we had an accident and/or emergency. We don't want to buy that but wonder if we have to. Switzerland is small and I imagine a lot of people frequently go "abroad". It only takes a couple hours. I don't even know if we would qualify for supplementary insurance- I hear they exclude for any number of conditions.

It's really a difficult task. We are trying to make this as practical as possible. Is a telmed plan really OK? We saw a couple where you call first and receive advisement but can then choose your own doctor (ÖKK, Arcosana and Easy Sana) Cheaper than "standard"....seems almost too good to be true, if it just means a phone call. My nightmare would be that the person on the other end of the line would send you to the pharmacy when you really need an examination, refuse to refer you to your doctor of choice and then refuse to pay. Too much time in the US? Or is this a problem here too?

It is amazing that (with consistent demographic info for 2 applicants) 10 different companies can have 10 very different prices for the same basic "Standard" insurance coverage.

If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the information that is already here. This is an invaluable resource!

Sincerely,
muh
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.11.2015, 14:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: accident vs emergency abroad...buying insurance

Quote:
View Post
Greetings English Forum,

I've spent a lot of time reading up on all the insurance posts (incredibly helpful- love the "stickies") and consulting comparis, and still have a few questions regarding insurance. If anyone has time to read and offer feedback it would definitely be appreciated!

My husband and I (from US) have to buy Swiss insurance by the end of the month....he is employed, I'm not. Our current insurance is truly excellent, but we can't afford to keep it and buy Swiss coverage too, so we are trying to learn all we can about choosing.
I know his accident coverage will be included, mine won't, but what exactly does "accident" mean? I read that it applies to everything "related to an accident", and that for him a franchise would not apply, and for me it would. But what if the accident is out of the canton or out of the country??

For example, with "basic" insurance....I'm out of the canton or out of the country, and fall down a flight of stairs and break my arm (or any other such situation)...that's an accident, but the subsequent medical care is for an emergency. Will I be covered? This is my biggest question/dilemma.

What defines accident vs emergency? (and if it only relates to having franchise accessed, for me it is a non-issue). I would think the definition would be consistent across all basic insurance policies, but some insurance agents (they are calling daily, maybe they know we are looking) seem to give conflicting info.

I keep seeing these supplementary options, for example, "90% coverage "abroad" for outpatient treatment" ...the only time we would want to get treatment abroad is if we had an accident and/or emergency. We don't want to buy that but wonder if we have to. Switzerland is small and I imagine a lot of people frequently go "abroad". It only takes a couple hours. I don't even know if we would qualify for supplementary insurance- I hear they exclude for any number of conditions.

It's really a difficult task. We are trying to make this as practical as possible. Is a telmed plan really OK? We saw a couple where you call first and receive advisement but can then choose your own doctor (ÖKK, Arcosana and Easy Sana) Cheaper than "standard"....seems almost too good to be true, if it just means a phone call. My nightmare would be that the person on the other end of the line would send you to the pharmacy when you really need an examination, refuse to refer you to your doctor of choice and then refuse to pay. Too much time in the US? Or is this a problem here too?

It is amazing that (with consistent demographic info for 2 applicants) 10 different companies can have 10 very different prices for the same basic "Standard" insurance coverage.

If anyone has suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the information that is already here. This is an invaluable resource!

Sincerely,
muh
Accident V illness should be obvious. A fall, car crash so a clear incident.

You will get a card that will cover basic accident & emergency medical treatment in the EU on the same basis as locals. So depending yo your franchise there will be some payment just like in CH.

The cover will be inadequate for the US or Canada.

Basic cover as required by law should not have huge variations in price at the same franchise level. No profit is made from this coverage & premiums are not based on Age. Unless your quite young the chance of being accepted for supplementary insurance is low.

I liked the HMO model, modern state of the art medical practice with several Dr's & a lab on site. You had an official Dr, but could see anyone at the practice. They always booked tests 15 minutes before seeing the Dr & the results would be ready when you went into the Dr's room.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03.11.2015, 15:26
muh muh is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
muh has no particular reputation at present
Re: accident vs emergency abroad...buying insurance

Thank You! It sounds like, for the purposes of actual coverage, accident and emergency will fall into the same category (covered based on what the basic or supplement lists under "emergency" and in my case accessing the franchise, as it is not covered by work).
Thank you also for the info about an HMO!
Cheers,
muh
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.11.2015, 16:12
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: accident vs emergency abroad...buying insurance

Quote:
View Post
Thank You! It sounds like, for the purposes of actual coverage, accident and emergency will fall into the same category (covered based on what the basic or supplement lists under "emergency" and in my case accessing the franchise, as it is not covered by work).
Thank you also for the info about an HMO!
Cheers,
muh
You have to add Accident to your Swiss coverage, it's not standard as it's assumed to be from your work. Will cost about 15chf a month if you have a large franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.11.2015, 16:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,926 Times in 5,233 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: accident vs emergency abroad...buying insurance

Quote:
View Post
I keep seeing these supplementary options, for example, "90% coverage "abroad" for outpatient treatment" ...the only time we would want to get treatment abroad is if we had an accident and/or emergency. We don't want to buy that but wonder if we have to. Switzerland is small and I imagine a lot of people frequently go "abroad". It only takes a couple hours. I don't even know if we would qualify for supplementary insurance- I hear they exclude for any number of conditions.
SInce you mention you are from the US - are you likely to go back to visit family now and again? And if so, what happens if you are injured, in an accident, get sick, need treatment in the US?

You know the cost of uninsured emergency treatment in the US...

If there is even a remote possibility that you will visit the US with some regularity, I would counsel you to take out supplementary coverage that provides for emergency care in the US if you are eligible for it.

Unless you have a few hundred thousand going spare, that is.

Be aware that some plans cover all but the US in their global emergency insurance; sometimes you need yet another add-on to get coverage in the US. Or, some plans limit the amount paid for care in the US to X-times the Swiss equivalent, which often ends up being quite a bit less than the cost Stateside. So make sure you understand what you are buying.

And I might as well add my usual comment:

If you qualify for supplementary insurance, especially those that allow private or semi-private hospitalization, take it! Once you are older, once you have had an illness here, the likelihood of your being denied grow significantly. Most young healthy people don't get it thinking it money out the window... but by the time you need it, you likely won't qualify.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03.11.2015, 16:46
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: accident vs emergency abroad...buying insurance

Quote:
View Post
SInce you mention you are from the US - are you likely to go back to visit family now and again? And if so, what happens if you are injured, in an accident, get sick, need treatment in the US?

.
Holiday insurance that specifically covers the USA.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 03.11.2015, 17:36
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,533
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,660 Times in 5,514 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: accident vs emergency abroad...buying insurance

Accident cover for your husband is dealt with by his employer's insurance policy. So for example, a few years ago my OH fell down our outside stairs on his way to the car to drive to work and broke his ankle. As it was an accident his employer's insurance covered it. A couple of years later he was taken ill in the UK - not an accident so his own insurance policy covered it. Your husband can still have a franchise as far as I know, he'll need it for any illness, medicines, etc, that aren't covered by his employer's insurance.

I'm with fatmanfilms on insurance for the US if you need it. Unless you plan to go back several times a year it's cheaper to buy holiday insurance rather than add it on to you Swiss policy. Just make sure you're covered for a good amount - minimum $3mil, preferably $5mil if you can get it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work accident insurance will not pay for back accident, but to previous back problem vada Insurance 4 16.01.2014 14:35
Reporting accident for accident insurance Agra Insurance 3 10.01.2014 13:40
Accident happened before getting B permit and buying basic insurance Zayana Insurance 10 31.03.2011 23:37
visit to accident & emergency annie Daily life 4 14.02.2011 21:12
Accident and Emergency D98 Daily life 10 03.05.2007 11:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0