Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.11.2015, 21:48
misaluana's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bern and uk mostly
Posts: 254
Groaned at 61 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
misaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthy
medical insurance in switzerland

evening,

As you may know i dont live in switzerland yet.i just travel back and forth visiting my partner,

in the uk i do not have medical insurance but i have seen maxilofacial specialist in near past (over the years) via the nhs .but nothing has ever been done as i never went through with it

i believe its a PRE EXISTING CONDITION CORRECT?

if i get medical insurance in uk i presume i woudlnt be covered for operations and maxilofacial treatment correct?

anyways the main question, if i move here permanently or even temporary and get medical insurance will they know that i have a pre existing condition?
and how soon after getting insurance can i actually procede with maxilofacial etc?
and do i pay or is it all paid for me?

thanks for replying
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at misaluana for this post:
  #2  
Old 04.11.2015, 21:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
evening,

As you may know i dont live in switzerland yet.i just travel back and forth visiting my partner,

in the uk i do not have medical insurance but i have seen maxilofacial specialist in near past (over the years) via the nhs .but nothing has ever been done as i never went through with it

i believe its a PRE EXISTING CONDITION CORRECT?

if i get medical insurance in uk i presume i woudlnt be covered for operations and maxilofacial treatment correct?

anyways the main question, if i move here permanently or even temporary and get medical insurance will they know that i have a pre existing condition?
and how soon after getting insurance can i actually procede with maxilofacial etc?
and do i pay or is it all paid for me?

thanks for replying
If a condition exists before you take out insurance, it is a preexisting condition.
If you move here, for basic health insurance the companies aren't allowed to question you re: your state of health as taking out basic health insurance is mandatory. Thus they won't know of your preexisting condition unless you tell them.
For supplementary insurance, if you don't declare preexisting conditions you will be made to pay back treatment covered by the insurance for the preexisting condition if they find out and find that the risk of you having a preexisting condition is reason for them not to accept you as a client.

Supplementary insurance can be refused for any reason. It isn't mandatory. The insurers choose their clients based on the risk clients pose.

Basic insurance cannot be refused. It is mandatory. The insurers cannot choose their clients. Every insured person has the same coverage.

Some links:
Incorrectly denied supplementary health insurance - but complex background
Does basic insurance cover oncology?
Choosing Insurance: What does healthcare cost?
Need help on dental insurance

Quote:
View Post
The basis of basic Swiss health insurance (compulsory) is solidarity - people with few illnesses pay as high or low a premium as people with many illnesses, if they are within the same age bracket, live in the same city/vicinity and choose the same insurance model. This way, people pay for each other in a way.

Supplementary health insurance is just that - supplementary (noncompulsory) security. If you want to be sure that you have the possibility to choose doctors/rooms/care etc. in the case that you should you fall ill, take out supplemental insurance.

If you can live without that security and the fact that (I think) some hospitals do not offer the possibility of upgrading your care on a case by case basis, don't go for supplementary insurance and ask if you can pay extra when you fall ill. If you definitely want the "bells and whistles" when worst comes to worst, pay for them.

Also know that all insurances have to cover your basic insurance costs, but they are not obliged to accept you for supplementary insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.11.2015, 22:00
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,041
Groaned at 88 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 3,071 Times in 1,574 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

No idea about the UK but you would be lying to your insurance if you did not mention this when applying for health insurance here.

Anyway, basic insurance is available for anyone in Switzerland, only with supplementary insurance pre existing illnesses can be excluded or that extra insurance can be declined.

And wouldn´t a doctor notice that this is not a new condition but an existing one?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.11.2015, 22:48
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,751
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,992 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
evening,

As you may know i dont live in switzerland yet.i just travel back and forth visiting my partner,

in the uk i do not have medical insurance but i have seen maxilofacial specialist in near past (over the years) via the nhs .but nothing has ever been done as i never went through with it

i believe its a PRE EXISTING CONDITION CORRECT?

if i get medical insurance in uk i presume i woudlnt be covered for operations and maxilofacial treatment correct?

anyways the main question, if i move here permanently or even temporary and get medical insurance will they know that i have a pre existing condition?
and how soon after getting insurance can i actually procede with maxilofacial etc?
and do i pay or is it all paid for me?

thanks for replying
They'll have absolutely no idea if you put some used underwear over your face, don't forget, yellow to front, brown to back.

You really think people are stupid here ?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Today only for this useful post:
This user groans at Today only for this post:
  #5  
Old 05.11.2015, 01:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chur
Posts: 11
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
suicidalguitar has become a little unpopularsuicidalguitar has become a little unpopular
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

When signing for supplementary insurance any company will ask you for any health problem you might have. You'll have to answer a few questions and the acceptance of the supplementary coverage will depende on the answers you give. As said before, the company will choose whether to accept the risk. If you lie on the medical questionnaire the chances are you'll be caught sooner or later and you will have to return all the money spent on treatments.

You're only change to get the treatment covered by the company would be if that specific treatment is covered by the basic (compulsory) health insurance. I'm pretty sure it doesn't but it doesn't hurt asking the company.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.11.2015, 01:22
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 676
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 176 Posts
BLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeable
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

I understand you go back and forth, but where do you LIVE? like pay tax? if you live in the UK you have NHS, if you live in Switzerland you have private swiss insurance. Either way you are covered for whatever care you need.

It almost sounds like you don't have a domicile at all?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank BLP for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 05.11.2015, 01:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chur
Posts: 11
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
suicidalguitar has become a little unpopularsuicidalguitar has become a little unpopular
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I understand you go back and forth, but where do you LIVE? like pay tax? if you live in the UK you have NHS, if you live in Switzerland you have private swiss insurance. Either way you are covered for whatever care you need.

It almost sounds like you don't have a domicile at all?
Unfortunately that's not true (not in Switzerland at least). There are many gaps in the compulsory insurance in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05.11.2015, 01:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately that's not true (not in Switzerland at least). There are many gaps in the compulsory insurance in Switzerland.
No there aren't. If you're resident here you have compulsory insurance, which covers everything illness-related. If you want extra comforts, full coverage of ambulance rides etc., you have to take out (and be accepted by) supplementary insurance, but compulsory insurance is sufficient for anyone.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank glowjupiter for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 05.11.2015, 02:28
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chur
Posts: 11
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
suicidalguitar has become a little unpopularsuicidalguitar has become a little unpopular
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
No there aren't. If you're resident here you have compulsory insurance, which covers everything illness-related. If you want extra comforts, full coverage of ambulance rides etc., you have to take out (and be accepted by) supplementary insurance, but compulsory insurance is sufficient for anyone.
No it's not.

E.g.:
There is a rather large list of drugs not covered by compulsory insurance.
Alternative medicine - Very limited coverage
Limited number of Ultrasound Scans and Mammographies
Transport costs - 50% max 500chf/year (good luck getting out of your neibourhood).
Auxiliary appliances
etc...

I wouldn't call it extra comforts...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank suicidalguitar for this useful post:
The following 7 users groan at suicidalguitar for this post:
  #10  
Old 05.11.2015, 09:06
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,528
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,659 Times in 5,513 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

No point in taking private insurance out in the UK as it's unlikely to be accepted here anyway. You'd simply waste your money.

As for paying, it depends on which Swiss insurer you choose. Some get the bills sent straight to them from doctors/hospital and then they bill you your share and others you have to pay the total bill first and then claim it back from the insurance company.

Question is why you want to do it now when you could have already had it done on the NHS?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05.11.2015, 09:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,827
Groaned at 61 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,125 Times in 833 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

My personal experience / my insurance company -- Yours may be different..

But my insurer here asked no questions on existing conditions and provided unconditional supplementary cover based on the fact that I held private health cover in the UK. Not quite sure on the logic of that but hey.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.11.2015, 09:28
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,215
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,237 Times in 4,921 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
No it's not.

E.g.:
There is a rather large list of drugs not covered by compulsory insurance.
Alternative medicine - Very limited coverage
Limited number of Ultrasound Scans and Mammographies
Transport costs - 50% max 500chf/year (good luck getting out of your neibourhood).
Auxiliary appliances
etc...

I wouldn't call it extra comforts...
I think you'll find that's the same in plenty of other places too. Alternative medicine, drugs not covered, limit on number of scans etc is pretty common in lots of places. There are plenty of drugs not covered by the NHS ( or covered in some areas but not others) for example.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 05.11.2015, 10:59
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
No it's not.

E.g.:
There is a rather large list of drugs not covered by compulsory insurance.
Alternative medicine - Very limited coverage
Limited number of Ultrasound Scans and Mammographies
Transport costs - 50% max 500chf/year (good luck getting out of your neibourhood).
Auxiliary appliances
etc...

I wouldn't call it extra comforts...
I can speak for the scans - if your doctor wants you to have them, you get them.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 05.11.2015, 11:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 805
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 658 Times in 272 Posts
HeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond reputeHeatherM has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
and how soon after getting insurance can i actually procede with maxilofacial etc?
and do i pay or is it all paid for me?
As far as I understand the only relevant issue is whether your surgery is medically necessary or an elective cosmetic procedure. If a doctor refers to you a maxillofacial surgeon for medical reasons insurance will cover it, regardless of whether the condition was pre-existing or not. But if you want a nose job you pay 100% of the costs.

Last edited by HeatherM; 05.11.2015 at 11:43.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HeatherM for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 05.11.2015, 11:17
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,981
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,264 Times in 5,013 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
No it's not.
...
Alternative medicine - Very limited coverage...
But still far too much, nonetheless.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 05.11.2015, 11:26
misaluana's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bern and uk mostly
Posts: 254
Groaned at 61 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
misaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthy
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

thanks for your responses but it didnt really answer my doubts

i would like maxilofacial surgery to correct my crossed bite. i do get occasional pain but i dont know if you would say its esthetic if its affecting me mentally (and it then comes under health)mentally as since years i am very conscious about it and always avoid people looking at certain side of my face.
my chin has slanted slightly to the side

anyway, i thought i could get medical insurance here which covers surgery maxilofacial. but how long after i get the insurance can i start to see a max fax specialist and call the insurers about it?

and approximately lets say the whole cost is 11.000 chf thats just a number out of the blue how much approx will the insurance pay?
and how much will i have to pay..

i saw a specialist twice in uk under the nhs but never went through with visits and treatments and i dont know why maybe iwas scared at the time plus they are slow and i thought they woudnt treat me
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05.11.2015, 11:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Neuchatel
Posts: 19,366
Groaned at 368 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 22,376 Times in 10,068 Posts
Odile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond reputeOdile has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Why not go now and see if you can have it done on the NHS- as it seems you are still resident there.

But you are, for whatever reasons, not helping us helping you find an answer. The key questions is WHERE you are currently LEGALLY RESIDENT. If you spend more than 90 days in the UK, you are resident in the UK and not in CH- and therefore cannot take out medical insurance in Switzerland via LaMal (normal insurance) - and no insurer will insure you for complementary insurance with a pre-exisiting condition. Any surgeon will immediately see your problem is not new- and therefore will not treat under insurance. If you spend more than 90 days a year here- and have not registered, then you are 'illegal' anyhow.

If you do become LEGALLY RESIDENT here, that means registered with your Commune (Council) properly, paying tax if appropriate, etc- then you will be accepted on normal insurance- and the surgeon will make a decision about whether the op is purely costmetic, and won't be taken on by the insurance- or causes problems with masitication, etc, which may or may not be accepted. No-one here can tell you what the individula surgeon, or the individual insurance you have chosen, will or will not accept.

But again, before we even begin to discuss the above- you need to declare where your LEGAL RESIDENCY is. Avoiding the question will not help. For instance my daughters who live in the UK are both Swiss and British- and they have an address at our place - but they could not take out Swiss Insurance as they are legally resident in the UK and pay tay in the UK, etc. Just as we, British (+Swiss) who have paid into the UK system all our life until we retired here- despite having property in the UK- are no longer entitled to UK NHS services now we are legally resident here.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Odile for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 05.11.2015, 11:44
misaluana's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bern and uk mostly
Posts: 254
Groaned at 61 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
misaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthy
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

im not illegal here. i come here once in a while to visit my boyfriend for a month or two before returning home for some months

i spend most of the time in uk at my parents home even though im moving out soon

i have no advantage of being here ins switzerland as
language issues
boredom
no job
excessive gym costs,tax,insurance,and so on

uk everythins is so much cheaper.

anyway im on the nhs waiting list in uk as urgent..but they said that on urgent u wont be seen until 6 months have passed.. they are slow

the problem is not where i live or not..because if its possible to get the surgery here in switzerland with insurance ..ill move here tomorrow..do everything fast and get surgery
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05.11.2015, 11:45
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,215
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,237 Times in 4,921 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Why not go now and see if you can have it done on the NHS- as it seems you are still resident there.

But you are, for whatever reasons, not helping us helping you find an answer. The key questions is WHERE you are currently LEGALLY RESIDENT. If you spend more than 90 days in the UK, you are resident in the UK and not in CH- and therefore cannot take out medical insurance in Switzerland via LaMal (normal insurance) - and no insurer will insure you for complementary insurance with a pre-exisiting condition. Any surgeon will immediately see your problem is not new- and therefore will not treat under insurance. If you spend more than 90 days a year here- and have not registered, then you are 'illegal' anyhow.

If you do become LEGALLY RESIDENT here, that means registered with your Commune (Council) properly, paying tax if appropriate, etc- then you will be accepted on normal insurance- and the surgeon will make a decision about whether the op is purely costmetic, and won't be taken on by the insurance- or causes problems with masitication, etc, which may or may not be accepted. No-one here can tell you what the individula surgeon, or the individual insurance you have chosen, will or will not accept.

But again, before we even begin to discuss the above- you need to declare where your LEGAL RESIDENCY is. Avoiding the question will not help. For instance my daughters who live in the UK are both Swiss and British- and they have an address at our place - but they could not take out Swiss Insurance as they are legally resident in the UK and pay tay in the UK, etc. Just as we, British (+Swiss) who have paid into the UK system all our life until we retired here- despite having property in the UK- are no longer entitled to UK NHS services now we are legally resident here.
I don't know about the UK residency laws regarding number of days but for Switzerland it is 90 days in any six month period NOT 90 days per year so she could be here for 179 days in any given year and not be considered resident in Switzerland.

It seems to me that it would be much easier to just have the surgery in the UK as she is still spending most of her time there. It would probably take 6 months to organise everything here even if it was possible to have the surgery in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 05.11.2015, 11:55
misaluana's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: bern and uk mostly
Posts: 254
Groaned at 61 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 40 Times in 28 Posts
misaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthymisaluana is considered unworthy
Re: medical insurance in switzerland

ok i will see as nhs should be seeing me in febuary.i may wait till then and see what they can offer.

if they cant.ill have to see if its cheaper to have private surgery in swityerland or uk..dont be surpised..switzerland may be cheaper than uk for maxilofacial surgery.
its a big thing in uk you see


privately in the sense of paying full cash..my whole savings and borrowing the rest
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is reconstructive surgery covered in Medical Insurance Raj2014 Family matters/health 2 05.11.2014 10:17
Medical Insurance in Switzerland Junioro Insurance 58 08.11.2013 23:24
No medical insurance while in transit/on vacation between CH & USA Claireeh Leaving Switzerland 7 05.09.2013 23:18
Cigna International Medical Insurance-valid in Switzerland? Sharona Insurance 6 19.01.2013 15:58
Medical care prior to enrolling in insurance? RobertS Insurance 3 14.07.2012 02:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0