Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.11.2015, 22:59
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thun
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 4 Posts
dseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeable
Unique Health Situation Help Please

Good day folks.
Sorry for the long post but the background is probably necessary to understand the question.

I have a very unique health situation, and im exploring options to return to Switzerland for help. I am a dual Canadian Swiss citizen with Canadian being primary. I lived in Switzerland back in 2011 for which alot of medical investigation was done, but nothing conclusive came up other than some clues. Its a neurological spinal cord problem thats baffled the best of the medical community in Switzerland and here in Canada. After returning to Canada, my research continued and with some consults from some experts, I have a very rare spinal cord disease called Tarlov Cysts. The problem is that the neurologists generally worldwide dismiss it as being symptomatic because that is what is being taught for decades. Recent research and other patients with the exact symptoms say otherwise.

So here is the big problem. Canada is ignoring it altogether. A specialist surgeon in the USA can offer surgery but of course its very expensive. Canada will not pay for it because the neurologists dont even recognize it therefore can not recommend funding. This US Dr has a facility in Cyprus treating Europeans and Asians. So my other option is in investigating if Switzerland could help out. Tarlov Cysts are recognized a little more in Europe as causing symptoms however treatment is scarce. So the question is, if insurance and or the government would help in funding out of country surgery assuming that everything that can be done in Switzerland is exhausted? And what insurance companies would be most willing to accommodate? While I was not diagnosed with anything specific, would they have the right to refuse and exclude my condition? I used KPT before, and perhaps it is best to go back to them because of history. but then again it could be detrimental.
Also while I do speak some basic German, an English speaking agent would be most appreciated as medical terminology can be quite complicated.

Im also not able to work, cant sit at all, so limited function and would have to be back on the Swiss social system help.

Thank you so much for reading and any information and advice much appreciated.

Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.11.2015, 23:04
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,551 Times in 4,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Basic insurance is compulsory in Switzerland so no insurance company can refuse you or charge extra for pre-conditions.


However it could be they do not accept Tarlov Cysts as a condition which they believe is operable and pay for. Also on what basis could you/would you request a permit to live in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 25.11.2015, 23:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thun
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 4 Posts
dseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeable
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Thanks for replying. I understand its compulsory, but ive read they can refuse or exclude previous conditions. But as mentioned, it was an 8 day stay in the hospital of extensive investigations with nothing concrete coming out of it other than clues so no official illness was attached to it. I then lived for 7 months there before returning to Canada at the insistence of family.

I can live and work in Switzerland because of my citizenship. I am not born there but received it thru my mother who is native to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dseminchuk for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 25.11.2015, 23:17
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,551 Times in 4,686 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for replying. I understand its compulsory, but ive read they can refuse or exclude previous conditions. But as mentioned, it was an 8 day stay in the hospital of extensive investigations with nothing concrete coming out of it other than clues so no official illness was attached to it. I then lived for 7 months there before returning to Canada at the insistence of family.

I can live and work in Switzerland because of my citizenship. I am not born there but received it thru my mother who is native to Switzerland.

About "ive read they can refuse or exclude previous conditions" Never heard of this for basic insurance - do you have a source?, of course they can do this for the supplementary/extra insurance,


About "I can live and work in Switzerland because of my citizenship" No problem then!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25.11.2015, 23:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thun
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 4 Posts
dseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeable
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Quote:
View Post
About "ive read they can refuse or exclude previous conditions" Never heard of this for basic insurance - do you have a source?, of course they can do this for the supplementary/extra insurance,
Cant find it. Perhaps it was my misunderstanding. However im trying to understand about the possibilities of having the surgery outside the country since there is no other known surgeons presently known in Europe that are dealing with Tarlov Cysts other than perhaps Germany. I would need to know this before making plans to see if returning would help.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.11.2015, 23:54
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 676
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 176 Posts
BLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeable
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Quote:
View Post
Cant find it. Perhaps it was my misunderstanding. However im trying to understand about the possibilities of having the surgery outside the country since there is no other known surgeons presently known in Europe that are dealing with Tarlov Cysts other than perhaps Germany. I would need to know this before making plans to see if returning would help.
Have you asked the doctors in Germany? The out of pocket is usually low I thought, like France. Maybe even less than the insurance/housing etc.

I would figure out the best surgeon first then figure out the rest.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BLP for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 26.11.2015, 00:25
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 236
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 224 Times in 132 Posts
dandi has earned some respectdandi has earned some respect
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Quote:
View Post
Cant find it. Perhaps it was my misunderstanding. However im trying to understand about the possibilities of having the surgery outside the country since there is no other known surgeons presently known in Europe that are dealing with Tarlov Cysts other than perhaps Germany. I would need to know this before making plans to see if returning would help.
The basic insurance won't cover interventions outside Switzerland (except emergencies) - the billing doctor has to be a registered practice in Switzerland.

The basic insurance has a pretty broad coverage of conditions, but whether Tarlov Cysts are covered you'll have to consult with a local specialist I think. In principle even non-standard interventions can be covered if a doctor deems the case to be out of ordinary and requiring special treatment - it may involve some lengthy back-and-forth between the doctor(s) and insurance companies, with a risk that you won't be reimbursed.

The best would be to contact (even from abroad) a doctor here to discuss your case. He/she would be able to advise you whether/what part of it would be covered by the basic insurance, how much it would cost, etc. This way you can make up your mind whether it's worth the cost of move/annual premiums/hassle/etc vs a direct treatment in a private clinic.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dandi for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.11.2015, 00:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Thun
Posts: 43
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 4 Posts
dseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeabledseminchuk is considered knowledgeable
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Quote:
View Post
Have you asked the doctors in Germany? The out of pocket is usually low I thought, like France. Maybe even less than the insurance/housing etc.

I would figure out the best surgeon first then figure out the rest.
Alright , Thanks, will look into that direction too.

Quote:
View Post
The basic insurance won't cover interventions outside Switzerland (except emergencies) - the billing doctor has to be a registered practice in Switzerland.

The basic insurance has a pretty broad coverage of conditions, but whether Tarlov Cysts are covered you'll have to consult with a local specialist I think. In principle even non-standard interventions can be covered if a doctor deems the case to be out of ordinary and requiring special treatment - it may involve some lengthy back-and-forth between the doctor(s) and insurance companies, with a risk that you won't be reimbursed.

The best would be to contact (even from abroad) a doctor here to discuss your case. He/she would be able to advise you whether/what part of it would be covered by the basic insurance, how much it would cost, etc. This way you can make up your mind whether it's worth the cost of move/annual premiums/hassle/etc vs a direct treatment in a private clinic.
Thanks Dandi for that info. That makes sense. Hopefully they would consult from abroad. I think the issue is that very few if any are equipped to operate on Tarlov Cysts in Switzerland. Nothing has ever come up in my research. But will look into that avenue as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.11.2015, 00:35
BLP's Avatar
BLP BLP is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vaud
Posts: 676
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 176 Posts
BLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeableBLP is considered knowledgeable
Re: Unique Health Situation Help Please

Quote:
View Post


Thanks Dandi for that info. That makes sense. Hopefully they would consult from abroad. I think the issue is that very few if any are equipped to operate on Tarlov Cysts in Switzerland. Nothing has ever come up in my research. But will look into that avenue as well.
sounds you totally need to find the right doctor first then, otherwise it's pointless all of this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BLP for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Situation is Unique Financepil Employment 37 24.08.2014 15:30
L permit\B Permit: a complex non-standard-situation. Any experts, please help! vlad_island Permits/visas/government 13 14.02.2012 23:18
Swiss franc move responds to unique situation: US The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 08.09.2011 10:33
Complicated situation - leaving CH short time, please help! Bobbie Permits/visas/government 7 23.08.2011 17:44
Unique situation sandra_rifai Property wanted 2 16.04.2007 23:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0