Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.12.2015, 10:30
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
intl shipping insurance?

I am doing international shipping of a single furniture item.

The insurance offered by the shipping company is both for the item and for my shipping charge. I asked about why I would want to insure my shipping charge, and the agent said that in the event of the shipment being destroyed say by an accident, the insurance should cover the cost of the item and the cost of re-shipping.

It seems weird to me to insure the shipping charge - is that normal? The shipping company name is Packimpex.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01.12.2015, 11:20
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: intl shipping insurance?

It seems to be standard; I guess for a company sending an order it makes sense to insure the full cost of resending.

Personally I thought it was wrong - the shipping company should pay their own insurance, at least for the charge part - then they have the incentive to avoid any "accidents". I get that these things happen, but would object to paying for a delivery which didn't complete.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.12.2015, 12:39
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: intl shipping insurance?

I agree - if the shipment fails due to accident, the shipping company should have their own insurance. It basically means that they did not deliver the service, which is their responsibility.

I said to the agent that I did not want to insure the shipping charge, only the item, and she said that she would investigate that option, as though it was unusual not to insure shipping charge. Kind of weird...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01.12.2015, 14:06
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,709
Groaned at 482 Times in 292 Posts
Thanked 3,929 Times in 1,961 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: intl shipping insurance?

Quote:
View Post
I agree - if the shipment fails due to accident, the shipping company should have their own insurance. It basically means that they did not deliver the service, which is their responsibility.

I said to the agent that I did not want to insure the shipping charge, only the item, and she said that she would investigate that option, as though it was unusual not to insure shipping charge. Kind of weird...
For simple freight like this maybe shipper has own insurance but for bulk marine freight it's differnet....

The owners will have a "General Average" clause in the contract which basically means you will share the costs if there is an accident based on the presumtion that if you hadn't charted the vessel to do the routing agreed upon, vessel would not have been at the place where accident was and therefore accident wouldn't happen. It's also covered partly under the "New Jason" clause.

Archaic, certainly but owners certainly insist it being part of thw charter !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01.12.2015, 14:30
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,625
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 604 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: intl shipping insurance?

Quote:
View Post
The insurance offered by the shipping company is both for the item and for my shipping charge. I asked about why I would want to insure my shipping charge, and the agent said that in the event of the shipment being destroyed say by an accident, the insurance should cover the cost of the item and the cost of re-shipping.

It seems weird to me to insure the shipping charge - is that normal? The shipping company name is Packimpex.
For any industry engaging in transports, it should be absolute basic practice to have a general transport insurance. Unfortunately, most businesses and private persons like to skip that... which is no problem, unless there is a problem.

As for insuring the transport charges - this is done to avoid a loss on your sale. It's nice to recover the value of the goods itself, if something goes wrong, but you may still be a couple grand short of the total value, due to various transport or packaging cost.
As you only ship your personal belongings, you'll have to decide yourself, if that makes any sense - otherwise simply advise them the amount to which they shall insure the goods, according to your own calculation.
__________________
Nullus Anxietas - Oook
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank herc82 for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.12.2015, 15:38
evilshell's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK, formerly Basel
Posts: 3,361
Groaned at 97 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,337 Posts
evilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond reputeevilshell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: intl shipping insurance?

Quote:
View Post
For any industry engaging in transports, it should be absolute basic practice to have a general transport insurance. Unfortunately, most businesses and private persons like to skip that... which is no problem, unless there is a problem.

As for insuring the transport charges - this is done to avoid a loss on your sale. It's nice to recover the value of the goods itself, if something goes wrong, but you may still be a couple grand short of the total value, due to various transport or packaging cost.
As you only ship your personal belongings, you'll have to decide yourself, if that makes any sense - otherwise simply advise them the amount to which they shall insure the goods, according to your own calculation.
This. I work for a removal company, and we offer insurance for the cost of the shipping, for exactly the reasons stated above.

You can skip it, as others have said, but if something goes wrong and you need to re-ship it, you'll be paying for the shipping again. It is really up to you.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank evilshell for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.12.2015, 15:46
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: intl shipping insurance?

Quote:
View Post
This. I work for a removal company, and we offer insurance for the cost of the shipping, for exactly the reasons stated above.

You can skip it, as others have said, but if something goes wrong and you need to re-ship it, you'll be paying for the shipping again. It is really up to you.
Why is it up to the customer to pay again for a service not actually provided?

At a basic level a shipper has one task, get something safely from A to B. Why should the customer pay if that isn't achieved?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USPS Shipping and Switzerland Shipping Process in General? hbt Other/general 4 28.10.2014 16:20
Intl. health insurance in Geneva - who to contact? grani13 Insurance 1 02.06.2014 16:35
Intl travel insurance for old people star20 Insurance 3 13.04.2014 22:02
Shipping car from the US, insurance question 2x2 Transportation/driving 1 17.08.2010 02:18
Intl schools near Zug philcr2800 Family matters/health 1 03.03.2010 22:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0