Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Insurance
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18.08.2016, 20:04
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Majem has no particular reputation at present
Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone here had a similar situation and has any advice.

I just graduated from a MA and finished my exchange year at Zürcher Hochschule der Kunste (Zürich). Until now I had a student exemption from the mandatory Swiss Health Insurance. I am a EU citizen and have an EHIC card. I'm applying now for an assistant position at ZHdK but in the meantime I'm working during three months in a museum in St. Moritz.

My employer gave me today an AHV/AVS form to fill. Is it any related to a health insurance? It says 'Anmeldung für Versicherungsausweis'.
(https://www.ahv-iv.ch/Portals/0/Docu.../318.260_d.pdf)

If I sign it am I obliged to pay anything myself?

I was considering getting the Swisscare insurance once I get the position at the Academy, but I've read, that once you get another official Swiss insurance you can not switch anymore. Is that true? Would that mean that even if I come back to the Academy in few months I will not be able to have Swisscare anymore and will have to continue paying the official one?

I have also read that working up to 3 months you don't actually need an official insurance. But would it be safe to stay with EHIC as an only insurance? I don't ever go to doctors, but in case of an accident, would it cover anything?

I would like to hear about your experiences. Thank you very much in advance for any advices.

Warm greetings,
Maja
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18.08.2016, 20:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,717
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,029 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

Quote:
View Post
Hello!

I was wondering if anyone here had a similar situation and has any advice.

I just graduated from a MA and finished my exchange year at Zürcher Hochschule der Kunste (Zürich). Until now I had a student exemption from the mandatory Swiss Health Insurance. I am a EU citizen and have an EHIC card. I'm applying now for an assistant position at ZHdK but in the meantime I'm working during three months in a museum in St. Moritz.

My employer gave me today an AHV/AVS form to fill. Is it any related to a health insurance? It says 'Anmeldung für Versicherungsausweis'.
(https://www.ahv-iv.ch/Portals/0/Docu.../318.260_d.pdf)

If I sign it am I obliged to pay anything myself?

I was considering getting the Swisscare insurance once I get the position at the Academy, but I've read, that once you get another official Swiss insurance you can not switch anymore. Is that true? Would that mean that even if I come back to the Academy in few months I will not be able to have Swisscare anymore and will have to continue paying the official one?

I have also read that working up to 3 months you don't actually need an official insurance. But would it be safe to stay with EHIC as an only insurance? I don't ever go to doctors, but in case of an accident, would it cover anything?

I would like to hear about your experiences. Thank you very much in advance for any advices.

Warm greetings,
Maja
Yes you will have to pay AHV, it's your national insurance no in English
Yes you will have to pay medical insurance, it will be back dated 3 months if you wait.
EHIC is for tourists not if you work in CH
You can only change Swiss 1 time a year if you give the required notice.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 18.08.2016, 21:24
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,479
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,607 Times in 5,489 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

AHV info:

https://www.ch.ch/en/ahv/

You contributions will come out of your salary before you get it. It's mandatory so you have to have it.

As you're resident here and no longer a student your EHIC card is useless as it's no longer valid for cover here. You need Swiss health insurance and the sooner you arrange it the better as it'll be backdated if you delay and you'll have a bigger first premium to pay.

It is possible to change insurers, usually that happens in November.

Bear in mind that some insurance providers like Swisscare only reimburse you for any medical expenses after you've paid them first, i.e. you pay the doctor/hospital and then send the bills on to Swiss Care to approve and then reimburse you. Other providers work on the basis that the doctor/hospital send their bills directly to the insurance company who will then bill you for your share. So consider carefully which model will suit you best. Also consider how high a franchise you want to have. A high franchise will mean your monthly premiums are lower, but you will pay the full cost of any bills until the franchise is used up and the insurance kicks in. A lower franchise will clear that more quickly, but also means your premiums will be higher.

Have a play around with www.comparis.ch to see which type of insurance you want to choose.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 18.08.2016, 21:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: here
Posts: 3,534
Groaned at 51 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 3,548 Times in 1,804 Posts
glowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond reputeglowjupiter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

Quote:
View Post
Yes you will have to pay AHV, it's your national insurance no in English
Yes you will have to pay medical insurance, it will be back dated 3 months if you wait.
EHIC is for tourists not if you work in CH
You can only change Swiss 1 time a year if you give the required notice.
This is incorrect, the EHIC is the health insurance card (European Health Insurance Card), everyone who is insured under a European health insurance company/entitled to medical care in an EU state, Iceland, Norway, CH or Liechtenstein, gets one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 18.08.2016, 21:44
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,073
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,593 Times in 9,431 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

Quote:
View Post
This is incorrect, the EHIC is the health insurance card (European Health Insurance Card), everyone who is insured under a European health insurance company/entitled to medical care in an EU state, Iceland, Norway, CH or Liechtenstein, gets one.
I don't have one, where do I get one?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 18.08.2016, 21:46
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,023
Groaned at 87 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 3,043 Times in 1,559 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

It says EHIC on the back of my health insurance card
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 18.08.2016, 21:51
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,196
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,208 Times in 4,909 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

Quote:
View Post
This is incorrect, the EHIC is the health insurance card (European Health Insurance Card), everyone who is insured under a European health insurance company/entitled to medical care in an EU state, Iceland, Norway, CH or Liechtenstein, gets one.
And it entitles you to emergency treatment in other EU countries when you're travelling. You can't use it to replace local insurance if you are living in another country which requires it. So living and working in Switzerland means paying Swiss health insurance or maybe Swissacare if eligible and the canton accepts it.
There are some cases where an EHIC card is accepted as an alternative to Swiss health insurance (students in specific circumstances for example) but it isn't the norm.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 18.08.2016, 21:51
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,073
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,593 Times in 9,431 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

Quote:
View Post
It says EHIC on the back of my health insurance card
Mine doesn't.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 18.08.2016, 22:00
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,479
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,607 Times in 5,489 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Insurance for an academic / AHV / Swisscare / EHIC

Quote:
View Post
Mine doesn't.

Tom
Contact your insurance provider to get one.

https://www.ch.ch/en/health-insurance-cover-abroad/

Majem, you will get a new EHIC card when you sign up with a Swiss insurer which will replace your current one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
academic, ahv, ehic, insurance, swisscare




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap insurance for researchers and academic staff coming to an end soon. Odile Insurance 17 18.02.2013 12:41
English proofreading for an academic paper ksrobot Jobs offered 2 21.09.2012 16:44
EHIC ( European Health Insurance Card ) MotorsportsNorton Insurance 8 09.03.2012 23:22
Insurance for kids when taking Swisscare YMorishi Insurance 2 12.06.2009 22:46
Health insurance for Short stay non-resident / EHIC Dutchdude Insurance 3 04.02.2008 15:56


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0