Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1081  
Old 02.02.2012, 22:37
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,737
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,163 Times in 5,919 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Just be careful what you say when you are in Cairo....
"One of the Arab world's most famous comic actors Adel Imam has received a three-month jail sentence in Egypt for insulting Islam in films and plays, a court document has shown.
Imam, who has frequently poked fun at authorities and politicians during a 40-year career, has one month to appeal and will remain free until that process is concluded.
The case was brought by Asran Mansour, a lawyer with ties to Islamist groups, judicial sources said. The sentence on Thursday came weeks after Islamists won most seats in a parliamentary election."
I hardly can say how it is right now or even in the future but I in the past, during the reign of Messrs Sadat and Mubarak, had really open talks with Egyptians on the open road without any problems. Alright, none of us insulted religions in any way. But what a difference to Damascus, where you were invited indoors and only in a distance of some meters to the door could talk openly

The strangest thing I ever encountered was with Yemen. I in Sana'a told three Yemenis that I thought that President General Ahmed Hassan al-Ghashmi was a person the world could do well without. By sheer coincidence, al-Ghashmi got killed some two months later and replaced by far more intelligent General Ali Abdullah Saleh.
Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 02.02.2012, 23:09
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,737
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,163 Times in 5,919 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
of course you have no proof for this conspiracy, while videos show masses of Egyptians fighting one another as they have been doing for the last year.

In one thing you are right - you are getting the country you deserve, where actors are jailed, crime is rampant and the economy going down the drain (ironic, as drains are quite rare in Egypt)
I failed a bit in regard to those rather tragic and drastic news, but "masses fighting one another" ? Do you refer to football matches of FC Basel against either FCZ or GC ?

If somebody is jailed right now it is still by the ruling junta .....

Crime rampant ? Really ? any proven figures ? Rampant crime as in GWB-run Iraq apparently however is not the case. And it rather is below the one in Rome ... where they also deposed the "Raïs"

The economy ? Yes, in opposition to the general opinion in the world I still believe that Hosni Mubarak did very good work. Now, right at present, tourism still is fairly down, but I hope that the Egyptian industry is not. The low rate of the EG£ might outbalance the disturbances. And HERE we come to the crucial point. If a more democratic and more open society, more open to innovation, can be established, the economy will even be positively influenced by the change. You now of course can argue that things look not exactly that way right now, and I will not contradict for the moment as my Crystal Ball is foggy due to the cold weather
Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 03.02.2012, 10:50
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,510
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post

The economy ? Yes, in opposition to the general opinion in the world I still believe that Hosni Mubarak did very good work. Now, right at present, tourism still is fairly down, but I hope that the Egyptian industry is not. The low rate of the EG£ might outbalance the disturbances. And HERE we come to the crucial point. If a more democratic and more open society, more open to innovation, can be established, the economy will even be positively influenced by the change. You now of course can argue that things look not exactly that way right now, and I will not contradict for the moment as my Crystal Ball is foggy due to the cold weather
I'm not worried at all about economy as investment in Egypt is very high in demand, just the fact Jan 2012 passed without any problems, the EGX rose over 28% in 1 month....first we get SCAF off power and it won't take long to be back on track and even better
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 04.02.2012, 01:20
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,737
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,163 Times in 5,919 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
I'm not worried at all about economy as investment in Egypt is very high in demand, just the fact Jan 2012 passed without any problems, the EGX rose over 28% in 1 month....first we get SCAF off power and it won't take long to be back on track and even better
While I and many others know what the "SCAF" is (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) I rather am not clear about "Generalfeldmarschall Tantawi". His face faintly reminds of late Anwar as-Sadat, BUT the questions about him are >> is he a "would-like-to-be-dictator in disguise" ? is he a cleptocratic crook in high office ? or is he basically a well-intentioned caretaker just doing mistakes out of authoritarian militaristic instincts ?

I just read about him and saw that he is from Tanta, the city where I when having been by rental car on a round trip Cairo-HeliopolisApt-Ismailiya-PortSaïd-Damietta-Tanta-Alexandria lost my way (not knowing that Iskandariya also in Arabic is abbreviated) and so went towards downtown and in a garage enquired about the way to Alex., and as their English was more miserable than my Arabic, tortured the Arabic language a bit, with a remarkably good result . And, just as a few years before when I drove from Cairo along the Nile via Tanta, from one traffic-jam to the next !!!, went back to Cairo on that desert highway, which is a really interesting route for all Egypt visitors
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 04.02.2012, 01:28
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,510
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
While I and many others know what the "SCAF" is (Supreme Council of the Armed Forces) I rather am not clear about "Generalfeldmarschall Tantawi". His face faintly reminds of late Anwar as-Sadat, BUT the questions about him are >> is he a "would-like-to-be-dictator in disguise" ? is he a cleptocratic crook in high office ? or is he basically a well-intentioned caretaker just doing mistakes out of authoritarian militaristic instincts ?

I just read about him and saw that he is from Tanta, the city where I when having been by rental car on a round trip Cairo-HeliopolisApt-Ismailiya-PortSaïd-Damietta-Tanta-Alexandria lost my way (not knowing that Iskandariya also in Arabic is abbreviated) and so went towards downtown and in a garage enquired about the way to Alex., and as their English was more miserable than my Arabic, tortured the Arabic language a bit, with a remarkably good result . And, just as a few years before when I drove from Cairo along the Nile via Tanta, from one traffic-jam to the next !!!, went back to Cairo on that desert highway, which is a really interesting route for all Egypt visitors
From insider sources, when Mubarak decided to leave and appoint SCAF, Tantawi told him: "We can find another way to solve this"...Tantawi's task was to halt the revolution from day one and he never admitted it was a revolution, for SCAF it was only riots...now with all the blood on their hands, they're afraid to give up power cause they know they'll be prosecuted...this is what we're asking for now....execution of the whole SCAF.

I don't want anyone to feel sad about Egypt or suspicious of what's happening really, we're way more organized than them now and we know how to play the game....no one fears bullets, riot gas is our oxygen and we have the will, right and passion to win this battle and we will...it's not poetic words, this is the facts...our army is the people in the streets not the men in army suites....soldiers and officers fear our voices and stand speechless against our will and persistance

This is a video some friends took of a guy explaining to the soldiers about the lies of SCAF face to face, they were shaken and the officers were trying to do anything to make the soldiers stop listening to what he was saying, they turned engines on, spoke loudly,..etc:



Sorry it's in Arabic but we're working on translation of the contents when situation becomes bit calm and we get some time to do so
__________________
Silence is an argument carried out by other means.
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 05.02.2012, 03:46
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,737
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,163 Times in 5,919 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
From insider sources, when Mubarak decided to leave and appoint SCAF, Tantawi told him: "We can find another way to solve this"...Tantawi's task was to halt the revolution from day one and he never admitted it was a revolution, for SCAF it was only riots...now with all the blood on their hands, they're afraid to give up power cause they know they'll be prosecuted...this is what we're asking for now....execution of the whole SCAF.

I don't want anyone to feel sad about Egypt or suspicious of what's happening really, we're way more organized than them now and we know how to play the game....no one fears bullets, riot gas is our oxygen and we have the will, right and passion to win this battle and we will...it's not poetic words, this is the facts...our army is the people in the streets not the men in army suites....soldiers and officers fear our voices and stand speechless against our will and persistance

This is a video some friends took of a guy explaining to the soldiers about the lies of SCAF face to face, they were shaken and the officers were trying to do anything to make the soldiers stop listening to what he was saying, they turned engines on, spoke loudly,..etc:



Sorry it's in Arabic but we're working on translation of the contents when situation becomes bit calm and we get some time to do so
Well, GFM Tantawi then is a victim of himself and his military views. I know this mindset from military service. Working in the office of the staff battery of an artillery regiment told me that those officers while believing to be in the service of the nation are the plague. Having seen that the majority of CH Bundesräte were colonels or higher up and so a democratically elected military junta made me to welcome a feminine majority in the Swiss Military .... sorry I mean Swiss Federal government

This of course leads to the question about military service. When discussing matters with Egyptian students at Ismailiyia, just 300 meters apart from the BarLev line, I heard that they HAD to do military service, but don't know how it is now. I can tell you that Algeria now has fairly democratic structures but just as in Switzerland those high-ranking officers have a dominating influence nevertheless.

Interesting is to see the developments in France. While the share of people of Maghrebine origin in France is between 20 and 25 percents, the share of people of Maghrebine origin in the new professional armed forces apparently is between 30 and 40 percents

If NOW many Français of "origine natives français" now complain about the facts I can only tell them in the words of Edith Piaf "NON je ne regrette rien"
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 05.02.2012, 20:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,271 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Well, GFM Tantawi then is a victim of himself and his military views. I know this mindset from military service. Working in the office of the staff battery of an artillery regiment told me that those officers while believing to be in the service of the nation are the plague. Having seen that the majority of CH Bundesräte were colonels or higher up and so a democratically elected military junta made me to welcome a feminine majority in the Swiss Military .... sorry I mean Swiss Federal government

This of course leads to the question about military service. When discussing matters with Egyptian students at Ismailiyia, just 300 meters apart from the BarLev line, I heard that they HAD to do military service, but don't know how it is now. I can tell you that Algeria now has fairly democratic structures but just as in Switzerland those high-ranking officers have a dominating influence nevertheless.

Interesting is to see the developments in France. While the share of people of Maghrebine origin in France is between 20 and 25 percents, the share of people of Maghrebine origin in the new professional armed forces apparently is between 30 and 40 percents

If NOW many Français of "origine natives français" now complain about the facts I can only tell them in the words of Edith Piaf "NON je ne regrette rien"
Today's news
Egypt'spost-revolutionary authorities have set it on a collision course withWashington, its erstwhile ally, by deciding to charge 44 NGO workersincluding 19 Americans with illegal activities.

HillaryClinton, US Secretary of State, has already said the issue may leadto America pulling its substantial military aid to Egypt's army, andthe issue has caused outrage in Congress, where it is seen as anothersign of the country slipping out of America's orbit at the hands ofthe very institution it has financially supported for years.
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 05.02.2012, 21:07
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 366
Groaned at 130 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 439 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Today's news
Egypt'spost-revolutionary authorities have set it on a collision course withWashington, its erstwhile ally, by deciding to charge 44 NGO workersincluding 19 Americans with illegal activities.

HillaryClinton, US Secretary of State, has already said the issue may leadto America pulling its substantial military aid to Egypt's army, andthe issue has caused outrage in Congress, where it is seen as anothersign of the country slipping out of America's orbit at the hands ofthe very institution it has financially supported for years.
give Mowvich's friends and "internal sources" access to the NGO workers and they'll confess to sinking the titanik. twice.

Egypt is on a colision course with reality.
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 05.02.2012, 21:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,271 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

I find it ironic that the Egyptian military are behind charging the NGO workers with accepting foreign funding when the Egyptian military are the largest group receiving foreign funding & it is also the military that receive the largest amount of foreign funding - probably thousands of times of the amounts claimed to be received by the NGOs.
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 06.02.2012, 15:21
jsherk's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zurich...Oerlikon
Posts: 415
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 294 Times in 132 Posts
jsherk has a reputation beyond reputejsherk has a reputation beyond reputejsherk has a reputation beyond reputejsherk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

My question to all is whether the resort regions will be safe to travel to in late April? Would Hurghada be safer than Sharm El Sheikh as the Bedouin seem to be pushing into Sharm El Sheikh? We booked holidays to a resort in Hurghada, but know I am having second thoughts about the safety of my family. Any comments? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 06.02.2012, 19:15
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 366
Groaned at 130 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 439 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Hurgada should be safer than Sinai (where tourists were shot and kidnapped).
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 07.02.2012, 22:16
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,737
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,163 Times in 5,919 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
give Mowvich's friends and "internal sources" access to the NGO workers and they'll confess to sinking the titanik. twice.

Egypt is on a colision course with reality.
to act against NGOs is a typical reaction of military regimes. What Mrs Clinton tries to do is to place the USA into a visible distance to the military leadership in Cairo. Do not forget that police still is under the rule of the generals
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 20.02.2012, 19:14
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,271 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
I'm not worried at all about economy as investment in Egypt is very high in demand, just the fact Jan 2012 passed without any problems, the EGX rose over 28% in 1 month....first we get SCAF off power and it won't take long to be back on track and even better
According to today's papers Iran is offering to invest around 5 billion US dollars in Egypt.
Also Iran is offering to send 5,000 tourists per day to Egypt; I wonder what percent will return to Iran? It must be much easier to get US/UK etc. visas in Cairo as in Teheran?
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 29.02.2012, 22:06
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,271 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Officials in Cairo say a travel ban on seven Americans employed by pro-democracy US groups has been lifted.

Sounds sensible but at what cost & to who?
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 29.02.2012, 22:21
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,510
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Officials in Cairo say a travel ban on seven Americans employed by pro-democracy US groups has been lifted.

Sounds sensible but at what cost & to who?
Higher authorities and the judges apologized on continuing the trial as it was demanded of them, therefore it will probably end with being transferred to other judges.

Also to mention, presidential elections submission will start 8 march, elections start 23 may, results 21 june and new president will be in duty effective 1 july
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 01.03.2012, 09:07
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 366
Groaned at 130 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 439 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Higher authorities and the judges apologized on continuing the trial as it was demanded of them, therefore it will probably end with being transferred to other judges.

Also to mention, presidential elections submission will start 8 march, elections start 23 may, results 21 june and new president will be in duty effective 1 july
"It was demanded of them" - no more pretenses that Egypt is a state with laws. Egypt did what Arab countries tend to do - when in trouble, take western hostages.
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 02.03.2012, 14:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,271 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
"It was demanded of them" - no more pretenses that Egypt is a state with laws. Egypt did what Arab countries tend to do - when in trouble, take western hostages.
NGO foreign workers have now left Egypt after posting bail of 2 million Egyptian pounds each - what a bunch of crooks are the current Egyptian leaders.
I assume they had no problem accepting this "foreign" bail money which ironically was the main charge - that the NGOs were foreign funded.
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 02.03.2012, 16:16
Pashosh's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baden
Posts: 366
Groaned at 130 Times in 97 Posts
Thanked 765 Times in 439 Posts
Pashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputationPashosh has an excellent reputation
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Today 2 milllion Egyptian pound buy a western hostage. Judging by Egyptian economy: in a year's time they won't be enough to buy a Malouhiya.
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 23.04.2012, 13:36
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,230
Groaned at 89 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 4,092 Times in 2,271 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Today 2 milllion Egyptian pound buy a western hostage. Judging by Egyptian economy: in a year's time they won't be enough to buy a Malouhiya.
Well they just cancelled the natural gas export contract with Israel worth around $150M per year; just a small thing versus Egypt's spiralling debts.

It is claimed the circa 1M Egyptian workers who worked in Libya are not being allowed back by the Libyan leadership making the massive unemployment situation worse. Something to do with Egypt's military leaders showing little support for the "Libyan Spring".

Tourism is also down, by how much is not clear.

Despite Govt. claims of adequate fuel supplies there are long line ups outside garages with fuel.

Rumours of Govt. censorship of the Internet will likely impact telecom companies.
Both foreign & domestic investors have pulled back due to the uncertain political situation.

The now (probably/possibly) finally agreed $3B IMF loan will keep things afloat for a while but unless the post-Mubarek Govt. tackles the widespread corruption & starts to take an interest in the economy then the economic outlook is grim.
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 23.04.2012, 14:01
Mowvich's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Genève
Posts: 1,510
Groaned at 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,308 Times in 607 Posts
Blog Entries: 1
Mowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond reputeMowvich has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Egypt "Jan 25 - Day of revolution" [Update: Mubarak resigns]

Quote:
View Post
Well they just cancelled the natural gas export contract with Israel worth around $150M per year; just a small thing versus Egypt's spiralling debts.
This is not government decision, this is because the broker company which Hussein Salem is partner in with an Israeli business man have due payments and it haven't been paid regardless of several warnings, therefore EGAS (The provider company) had to cut gas on Israel and that have nothing to do with the political situation in Egypt.

Quote:
View Post
Tourism is also down, by how much is not clear.
Tourism is actually doing better than the same period 2010, i couldn't even travel due to the high flight prices all last period

Quote:
View Post
Despite Govt. claims of adequate fuel supplies there are long line ups outside garages with fuel.
There's several criminal attempts to burn fuel companies in Egypt which are being investigated now.

Quote:
View Post
Rumours of Govt. censorship of the Internet will likely impact telecom companies.
As you said it's just RUMORS....this won't ever happen again i assure you, if you follow the Egyptian activists on Twitter, we actually have more freedom of speech than western countries now and our words on internet are having huge impact on the ground.

Quote:
View Post
Both foreign & domestic investors have pulled back due to the uncertain political situation.
This is not true at all, foreign investments are actually increasing...latest major deal is France Telecom buying majority of stocks of Mobinil which is a multi billion euros deal

Quote:
View Post
The now (probably/possibly) finally agreed $3B IMF loan will keep things afloat for a while but unless the post-Mubarek Govt. tackles the widespread corruption & starts to take an interest in the economy then the economic outlook is grim.
We're actually against the IMF loan as we know we have enough resources to generate much more than the loan without the bloody terms and interest of IMF
__________________
Silence is an argument carried out by other means.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
egypt, marches




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is Hosni Mubarak your "friend" on Facebook? Dougal's Breakfast International affairs/politics 3 06.02.2011 16:00
Merz resigns from Federal Government MrVertigo Swiss politics/news 7 06.08.2010 21:40
Day skiing on 30/31 Jan near Zurich ? Gntforever Social events 3 26.01.2010 13:32
Fidel Castro resigns as Cuban President Natasha International affairs/politics 35 30.06.2009 12:44
Jan 21 the saddest day of the year? Nev General off-topic 19 21.01.2008 21:25


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0