Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 21.01.2012, 11:55
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 522
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 329 Times in 177 Posts
V__ has an excellent reputationV__ has an excellent reputationV__ has an excellent reputationV__ has an excellent reputation
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Last night I caught a bit of "La vita in diretta" (talk show with guests) and they were showing a quite young guy who was animator for the children, as soon as he heard the evacuation signal he started to prepare the children and stayed there until the very end, all of the children in his department were saved. He was very modest, quite small in proportions and very thin but a REAL hero.

So not all Italians were crying like babes calling their mother on the phone instead of dealing with the situation.

And this kid was not the only hero on board, there were many more who really risked their lives.

After that they showed a woman who called the police and said the boat was in trouble, she lives in Napoli I think. Investigators were wondering how the cry for help came from a residential building 500km away from the sinking boat.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #82  
Old 22.01.2012, 00:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
The Italian coastguard (guarda costiera) is part of the Italian Navy. They are responsible for the "capitaneria" (harbour master) service in major Italian ports. As such, they are responsible for navigational safety, respect of port laws, protection of the environment and so on. This is completely separate from the commercial operation of a port (which may have a CEO or some other civilian director).

All Coast Guard Navy personel therefore have a Navy rank. De Falco's formal rank is that of "capitano de fregata" (frigate captain, NATO Code OF-4, or the UK equivalent of "Commander" in the RN or "Lt Col" in the Army). His rank insignia are clearly visible on the pictures of him arriving at the Grosseto court handling the criminal case against Schettino.

The harbour master, as well as the officer actually commanding a ship, are adressed as "commandante", irrespective of their rank, which is why De Falco also calls Schettino "commandante".
Thanks. While still not being an "expert" I see quite a bit clearer Reminds me of the fact that the Carabinieri is part of the armed forces actually, and what astonishes me most, meteorology in Italy apparently is "part" of the airforce. I still regard it as strange to see a chap in military uniform reading out the weather forecasts
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 22.01.2012, 02:04
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 141
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 135 Times in 85 Posts
aamsy has earned some respectaamsy has earned some respect
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
Very true. If the captain died with his ship, it did not always reflect badly on himself or his family; he had satisfied his honorable duty. If a captain returned without his ship, he would be held responsible for the loss, and the costs and consequences would be carried on from himself to his children, which was a very real concern for many at this time.
Hmmm.... Where did you ever read this or was this told to you by your company before you took the ship out to sea??? What utter nonsense. As a Master you are responsible for safety of personnel and ship and Master has full authority to take any course of action when it comes to saving life. In my opinion Master of concordia did wrong by passing close to land thinking nothing would happen as he has done before forgetting circumstances are never same in respect to tide, wind, current etc and moreover by not raising alarm initially. Had he raised the alarm initially more lives could have been saved and if the situation didnt warrant help he could have have cancelled the alert. The problem here lies in attitude....had he stayed back on board the evacuation cold have been carried in more orderly manner and none of the officers would have had courage to step into lifeboats before passengers. After all Masters word is final on board. Company has quickly blaimed Captain but they are also to be blamed for the vessel has been passing close to land in past and they didnt take any action. Furthermore to find crew of different nationalities is not uncommon and doesnt mean they are not capable of doing their job. Infact Filipino crew are known for their seamanship and so is the case for crew from Maldives, India etc. The blame game has already started and company i feel is looking for scapegoat and will sit pretty with insurance money.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 22.01.2012, 08:22
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,192
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm.... Where did you ever read this or was this told to you by your company before you took the ship out to sea??? What utter nonsense. As a Master you are responsible for safety of personnel and ship and Master has full authority to take any course of action when it comes to saving life. In my opinion Master of concordia did wrong by passing close to land thinking nothing would happen as he has done before forgetting circumstances are never same in respect to tide, wind, current etc and moreover by not raising alarm initially. Had he raised the alarm initially more lives could have been saved and if the situation didnt warrant help he could have have cancelled the alert. The problem here lies in attitude....had he stayed back on board the evacuation cold have been carried in more orderly manner and none of the officers would have had courage to step into lifeboats before passengers. After all Masters word is final on board. Company has quickly blaimed Captain but they are also to be blamed for the vessel has been passing close to land in past and they didnt take any action. Furthermore to find crew of different nationalities is not uncommon and doesnt mean they are not capable of doing their job. Infact Filipino crew are known for their seamanship and so is the case for crew from Maldives, India etc. The blame game has already started and company i feel is looking for scapegoat and will sit pretty with insurance money.
He's talking 17th/18th century Britain, not 21st century.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at tom tulpe for this post:
  #85  
Old 22.01.2012, 10:30
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 141
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 135 Times in 85 Posts
aamsy has earned some respectaamsy has earned some respect
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
He's talking 17th/18th century Britain, not 21st century.
Have you ever taken a ship to sea? or aware of the laws? and yes still every crew member looks upon to Master for his word..He aint called OLD MAN of the ship for nothing Mate..
Reply With Quote
This user groans at aamsy for this post:
  #86  
Old 22.01.2012, 10:58
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,192
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
Have you ever taken a ship to sea? or aware of the laws? and yes still every crew member looks upon to Master for his word..He aint called OLD MAN of the ship for nothing Mate..
He specifically referred to the fact that losing the ship meant the poor house for the Captain and his family.

Regarding how crew refer to the Captain, you should read up on how modern commercial shipping has evolved since the 1960s. You'd be amazed.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at tom tulpe for this post:
  #87  
Old 22.01.2012, 11:07
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 141
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 135 Times in 85 Posts
aamsy has earned some respectaamsy has earned some respect
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

[/QUOTE] Regarding how crew refer to the Captain, you should read up on how modern commercial shipping has evolved since the 1960s. You'd be amazed.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about modern commercial shipping and i dont think i need to go reading about it. Sailing as Master on biggest Cape size vessels.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 23.01.2012, 01:22
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Regarding how crew refer to the Captain, you should read up on how modern commercial shipping has evolved since the 1960s. You'd be amazed.[/QUOTE]

Tell me about modern commercial shipping and i dont think i need to go reading about it. Sailing as Master on biggest Cape size vessels.[/QUOTE]

A) Does, what you state, mean that the captain and his officers still in modern days should stay on board until the last person is off-board ?

B) Is Captain Schettino talking rubbish when claiming to be able to co-ordinate the evacuation from that rock as well as from somewhere on board ?

C) Are the papers today correct when stating that all those cruiseships enroute there in recent year took that course in order to impress tourists on the island and to advocate their companies ?
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 23.01.2012, 01:41
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
To have been on some ferry-boats in the French-English Channel does not make me an "expert". And so, two questions :

I heard about the electrical failure first but then also that there was no such failure.
WAS there an electrical failure ? or was there NO such thing ?
Most of what I've heard says "yes," there was...

Quote:
I often when seeing either photos of such big cruise ships or even seeing them "life" have the impression that they are too high. Does your remark mean that they as a result of this are prone to roll over ?
That is a very accurate perception. Modern cruise ships are built to allow for as many 'balcony' staterooms as possible, as well as having great views throughout the common areas of the ship. This tends to raise the center of gravity much higher, and so these cruise ships use myriad devices to improve the ship's stability (such as the 'fin' visible towards the bow of the ship). All these devices depend on power to operate, however, and when the cruise liner lost power became mostly useless.

Quote:
PLUS. A third and possibly strange question. Was the luggage of the passengers out there recovered or have they, while surviving, lost all the personal stuff they had on board ? I mean, I do NOT regard travelling as a survival-training-exercise and would not be content just to have survived.
If it is safe to retrieve these items, at some point there will be an effort to return belongings to the passengers. What cannot be recovered will become the subject of lawsuits for several years to come...
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 23.01.2012, 01:53
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
There appears to be a lot of focus on the italians in this thread placing the blame on them. While the captain etc may be italian if people take a close look.

The Costa Concordia is owned by Costa Crusies which is an american company, then to add to the insult an american legal firm is now putting together class action against the company. What ever happened to common courtesy the company should be let to focus on completing the rescue effort and the lawyers should grow up.
Costa is an Italian cruise company, the majority shareholder of which is Carnival Corp, a US-based company. Nobody is blaming Italy or Italians because of this tragedy; in fact, the Italian response, IMO, has been very expertly handled so far (on the official side) and also very compassionate (with regards to the islanders that opened their homes to the survivors). By extension, I find it irresponsible to try to lay blame (or imply blame, or even encourage others to infer blame) on America or Americans, simply because an American company has a majority stake in Costa Cruises. The management at Carnival Corp is not directly responsible for the day-to-day operations of Costa; Costa has its own corporate officers for that.
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 23.01.2012, 02:08
Jobsrobertsharpii's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Z-U-R-I-C-H
Posts: 2,338
Groaned at 176 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 3,384 Times in 1,536 Posts
Jobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond reputeJobsrobertsharpii has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
Hmmm.... Where did you ever read this or was this told to you by your company before you took the ship out to sea??? What utter nonsense. As a Master you are responsible for safety of personnel and ship and Master has full authority to take any course of action when it comes to saving life. In my opinion Master of concordia did wrong by passing close to land thinking nothing would happen as he has done before forgetting circumstances are never same in respect to tide, wind, current etc and moreover by not raising alarm initially. Had he raised the alarm initially more lives could have been saved and if the situation didnt warrant help he could have have cancelled the alert. The problem here lies in attitude....had he stayed back on board the evacuation cold have been carried in more orderly manner and none of the officers would have had courage to step into lifeboats before passengers. After all Masters word is final on board. Company has quickly blaimed Captain but they are also to be blamed for the vessel has been passing close to land in past and they didnt take any action. Furthermore to find crew of different nationalities is not uncommon and doesnt mean they are not capable of doing their job. Infact Filipino crew are known for their seamanship and so is the case for crew from Maldives, India etc. The blame game has already started and company i feel is looking for scapegoat and will sit pretty with insurance money.
Where did I learn this? History texts, plain and simple. There is little closer to God on Earth than a captain of a vessel. Captains had absolute authority while at sea; they could try and execute anyone on board their vessel, attack another vessel, and/or direct the vessel on any course they felt prudent. With this absolute authority came absolute responsibility for their actions.

If a captain of a sunken vessel returned without good proof of his efforts to save his ship, cargo, and crew, he often was scapegoated by the inquiry that followed. However, if the captain "went down with the ship," he was thought to have done the honorable thing by either atoning for his mistake (if he had made one in the first place) with his life, or by having died trying to save his ship & crew. Additionally, superstition led people of the time to refrain from speaking ill of the dead, for fear of being haunted by the soul of the deceased.

Much of this has changed in the modern era with constant communications and satellite navigation, but, the buck still stops at the captain on any seagoing vessel.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11.07.2012, 22:34
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 768 Times in 511 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Captain of Costa Concordia cruise liner says sorry

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/captain-wre...--finance.html
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 08.08.2014, 14:43
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,961
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,565 Times in 5,405 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Costa Concordia ex-captain Schettino lectures on best emergency practices at a Rome university... !

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28679906

Italy's education minister said the decision by a Rome university professor to invite Francesco to speak at a seminar was "disconcerting".
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 08.08.2014, 15:35
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 768 Times in 511 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
Costa Concordia ex-captain Schettino lectures on best emergency practices at a Rome university... !

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28679906

Italy's education minister said the decision by a Rome university professor to invite Francesco to speak at a seminar was "disconcerting".
he was not invited, he turned up to speak
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 11.02.2015, 22:55
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,145
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,455 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Captain Schettino sentenced to 16 years. That seems lenient to me. I don't think that trying to pass the blame to the ship owners helped him

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe...2768971384#_=_
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Deep Purple for this useful post:
  #96  
Old 14.02.2015, 10:51
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Costa Concordia cruise ship runs aground

Quote:
View Post
Captain Schettino sentenced to 16 years. That seems lenient to me. I don't think that trying to pass the blame to the ship owners helped him

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe...2768971384#_=_

In Italian Courts, first the verdict is proclaimed, second follows the Explanation and only THIRD follows the ORDER, which means whether the whole sentence or part of it is conditional (bedingt) or UNconditional (unbedingt.


Many journalists after having heard the verdict RUSH OUT and do not await the ORDER


I can imagine that one year is UNconditional and the other 15 years conditional with a probation period of 18 years
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
concordia, grounding, shipwreck




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on KPT, Swica, or Concordia? GBer Insurance 8 20.05.2014 10:44
Insurance Concordia arnav Daily life 1 05.05.2011 20:43
Experience with Concordia,KPT,CSS, Moove Sympany? gruyere77 Insurance 6 11.08.2010 16:05
Costa Rica & Panama Natasha General off-topic 10 20.07.2009 19:22
Concordia and a notification letter Paula Insurance 2 09.06.2008 15:36


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0