Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #201  
Old 29.01.2014, 09:23
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
Surprisingly big move by the Turkish central bank in the last few minutes
"Turkey increased its overnight lending rate to 12% from 7.75% and the overnight borrowing rate to 8% from 3.5%."


That should hold the currency steady for a while.


Contrast with the increase today by India of one quarter percent.
and stop the "overheating" of the economy
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 29.01.2014, 09:42
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 738
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 286 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
The government has been pushing the workshipping of Ataturk down our throat for so long while quietly destroying his legacy.

I am happy of what is going on in Istanbul. I hope Erdogan will be kicked out.
It has very little to do with the politicians. The old game played by the ruling elite during civil unrest is simply swap leaders until the people as a majority accept the next new one. BTW the politicians are considered to be the intellectual elite. And if the elite don´t like who the people have voted in then after the election they are swapped. Happens quite regularly in Australia.
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 29.01.2014, 09:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,102
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 6,060 Times in 3,275 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
BTW the politicians are considered to be the intellectual elite.
Where?
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 29.01.2014, 10:07
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
It has very little to do with the politicians. The old game played by the ruling elite during civil unrest is simply swap leaders until the people as a majority accept the next new one. BTW the politicians are considered to be the intellectual elite. And if the elite don´t like who the people have voted in then after the election they are swapped. Happens quite regularly in Australia.
That may well be, but here in Europe, politiicians are NOT regarded as "intellectual elite" by anybody

The political parties of course have the constituional right to do some "swaps" on the legislative level, but in Switzerland, the members of the executive level are elected by the people, and if they die, new elections will be done. Here in Zürich for example, if Mrs Mauch is run over by a truck, her functions will be taken over by the other members of the city government, but there will not be City President until after the upcoming elections.
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 29.01.2014, 10:23
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,378
Groaned at 442 Times in 346 Posts
Thanked 15,952 Times in 6,286 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
It has very little to do with the politicians. The old game played by the ruling elite during civil unrest is simply swap leaders until the people as a majority accept the next new one. BTW the politicians are considered to be the intellectual elite. And if the elite don´t like who the people have voted in then after the election they are swapped. Happens quite regularly in Australia.
Erdogan doesn't have the reputation of an intellectual at all. His way of talking, his choices of words and acting are not those of the Elite. The Elite didn't choose him but the lower class and religious conservatives did.

Do you know Erdogan?
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 30.01.2014, 02:10
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
Surprisingly big move by the Turkish central bank in the last few minutes
"Turkey increased its overnight lending rate to 12% from 7.75% and the overnight borrowing rate to 8% from 3.5%."


That should hold the currency steady for a while.


Contrast with the increase today by India of one quarter percent.

There was a temporary improvement but now the Turkish currency has steadied at yesterday's average level; so about 10% down over the last 6/7 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 30.01.2014, 09:09
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
There was a temporary improvement but now the Turkish currency has steadied at yesterday's average level; so about 10% down over the last 6/7 weeks.
It looks as if the Erdogan government has not just lost the trust of some speculators on international finance markets but of real industrial investors, even also from INSIDE Turkey. Such a situation cannot be tackled by some monetary and political tricks.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 30.01.2014, 23:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Unusual way to support a corruption probe?


Mr Erdogan’s administration moved more than 800 police officials from their positions today.
Yesterday 90 prosecutors were moved from Istanbul’s main courthouse - almost half of the total.


This is becoming farcical.....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #209  
Old 01.02.2014, 00:23
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
Unusual way to support a corruption probe?


Mr Erdogan’s administration moved more than 800 police officials from their positions today.
Yesterday 90 prosecutors were moved from Istanbul’s main courthouse - almost half of the total.


This is becoming farcical.....
Mr Erdogan may well meet the fate of Messrs Celal Bayar and Adnan Menderes half a century before him
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 01.02.2014, 01:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
Mr Erdogan may well meet the fate of Messrs Celal Bayar and Adnan Menderes half a century before him
We can only hope
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 03.02.2014, 16:53
SemAms's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: im Ausland
Posts: 304
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 208 Posts
SemAms has earned the respect of manySemAms has earned the respect of manySemAms has earned the respect of many
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
We can only hope
Incredible but true; Erdogan seems to have survived this crisis as well.. just shows how things are in Turkey
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03.02.2014, 17:45
Dark Blue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 190
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 84 Posts
Dark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeable
Re: Turkish Spring?

I am sorry guys but I do not agree with your comments and wishes.

First, I think we do not know the result of those collisions yet. Yes, the legal system is now crippled and yes the internet is now much tightly controlled; however, we still haven't had the elections yet and I think things will get dirty at that time.(March 30)

Second, as much as I hate Erdogan and people around him, I do not wish him to share to the same fate with Menderes. He shall be judged and bear the consequences. But most importantly he shall see that Turkey will not become the country he wants and people do not live in the he imposes. This will be the biggest punishment to him.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dark Blue for this useful post:
  #213  
Old 04.02.2014, 05:26
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
I am sorry guys but I do not agree with your comments and wishes.

First, I think we do not know the result of those collisions yet. Yes, the legal system is now crippled and yes the internet is now much tightly controlled; however, we still haven't had the elections yet and I think things will get dirty at that time.(March 30)

Second, as much as I hate Erdogan and people around him, I do not wish him to share to the same fate with Menderes. He shall be judged and bear the consequences. But most importantly he shall see that Turkey will not become the country he wants and people do not live in the he imposes. This will be the biggest punishment to him.
Adnan Menderes WAS judged and HAD to bear the consequences. General Gürsel acted in accordance with the constitution.

Never forget that Mr Erdogan governs with a minority government. His party NEVER got more than 40% of the votes. He only became prime minister as the other parties were split
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 04.02.2014, 09:13
Dark Blue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 190
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 84 Posts
Dark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeable
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
Adnan Menderes WAS judged and HAD to bear the consequences. General Gürsel acted in accordance with the constitution.

Never forget that Mr Erdogan governs with a minority government. His party NEVER got more than 40% of the votes. He only became prime minister as the other parties were split
Well, he was judged by a military court and his sentence was clear from the begining.Plus killing people will make them heros, like as Erdogan says menderes is his role model.

By the way NEVER say never on the subjects you are not an expert of and Please check your sources before you post, as erdogan got 49.9 percent of the votes in the last election.the short comings of the electoral system aside, I wouldn't call that a minority. Irrespective of whst other parties did, the democrstic system has elected him as the prime minister. The problem is that he thinks that he can not be qustioned in between elections and he can do whatever he wants in the meantime.
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 04.02.2014, 09:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,642
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,549 Times in 3,211 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
erdogan got 49.9 percent of the votes in the last election
49.9% is not a suspicious number at all
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #216  
Old 04.02.2014, 09:54
Dark Blue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 190
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 84 Posts
Dark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeable
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
49.9% is not a suspicious number at all
Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/eu...key.elections/

I agree it seems like an odd number,but why would AKP stop there not get over 50%. More importantly with this 49.9% , he could not secure the necessary two-thirds of the Parliament and could not change the constitution all by himself.

This would have been a total disaster!
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 04.02.2014, 11:27
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
I am sorry guys but I do not agree with your comments and wishes.

First, I think we do not know the result of those collisions yet. Yes, the legal system is now crippled and yes the internet is now much tightly controlled; however, we still haven't had the elections yet and I think things will get dirty at that time.(March 30)

Second, as much as I hate Erdogan and people around him, I do not wish him to share to the same fate with Menderes. He shall be judged and bear the consequences. But most importantly he shall see that Turkey will not become the country he wants and people do not live in the he imposes. This will be the biggest punishment to him.
Yes March elections will be interesting
I foresee some senior election officials following senior police officials and senior prosecutors into an uncertain future
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 04.02.2014, 11:39
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,527 Times in 4,670 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
Well, he was judged by a military court and his sentence was clear from the begining.Plus killing people will make them heros, like as Erdogan says menderes is his role model.

By the way NEVER say never on the subjects you are not an expert of and Please check your sources before you post, as erdogan got 49.9 percent of the votes in the last election.the short comings of the electoral system aside, I wouldn't call that a minority. Irrespective of whst other parties did, the democrstic system has elected him as the prime minister. The problem is that he thinks that he can not be qustioned in between elections and he can do whatever he wants in the meantime.

Important to remember there were different electoral percentages for the AKP and for Erdogan himself.
Also to remember if people are unhappy then who do they vote for in the future; always the risk they eventually vote for the AKP because they dislike them least!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #219  
Old 04.02.2014, 12:06
Dark Blue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CH
Posts: 190
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 84 Posts
Dark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeableDark Blue is considered knowledgeable
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
Important to remember there were different electoral percentages for the AKP and for Erdogan himself.
Also to remember if people are unhappy then who do they vote for in the future; always the risk they eventually vote for the AKP because they dislike them least!
you are absolutely right Marton! If anything happens to Erdogan today, AKPs votes will not go beyond 30%. The main reason behind is that he not only sub presses external opponents but also internal ones.

With regards the "liking" of the people, I suppose this is why the recent developments were focusing on the corruptions and illegal activities. The objective was to change the image of Erdogan and his "AK"(Clean in Turkish) party.
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 04.02.2014, 12:19
SemAms's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: im Ausland
Posts: 304
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 370 Times in 208 Posts
SemAms has earned the respect of manySemAms has earned the respect of manySemAms has earned the respect of many
Re: Turkish Spring?

Quote:
View Post
you are absolutely right Marton! If anything happens to Erdogan today, AKPs votes will not go beyond 30%. The main reason behind is that he not only sub presses external opponents but also internal ones.

With regards the "liking" of the people, I suppose this is why the recent developments were focusing on the corruptions and illegal activities. The objective was to change the image of Erdogan and his "AK"(Clean in Turkish) party.
so do you claim that those corruption/illegal activity charges were fabricated?
that Erdogan/ministers/AKP-followers' + families accumulated all that wealth by playing fair?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turkish dishes Phos Food and drink 17 17.05.2013 15:17
Turkish Jewellery HappyCreature Other/general 0 30.04.2012 17:00
Good turkish restaurant monte82 Entertainment & dining 4 08.02.2012 16:55
Turkish Restaurants Laudable Entertainment & dining 6 06.04.2011 00:55


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0