Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 28.04.2015, 21:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Letzeburg
Posts: 1,970
Groaned at 68 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,005 Times in 1,780 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Yes there will be change, the police will resemble more and more the executive arm of the Gestapo but with bigger guns and not as organized.
I wonder if the riots of the last few years are not the first shots in a coming American racial war, you can´t deny that the tensions between whites and blacks are rapidly approaching boiling point.
I hear a lot of people saying: "well they are rioting because they are disenfranchised!"
Uhh! What? Ever since the Brown vs. the School Board stopped segregation in schools way back in 1955, blacks have had an equal playing field in education, education leads to jobs, jobs lead to security, so why do the cites burn, why are the majority of inner city blacks semi-literate? Has every law passed that gives blacks an equal stake in the American dream been for nothing?
I don´t buy the (blacks) assumption that their situation is whitey´s fault, whites passed Brown vs. the School Board, white feds and white troops made it work, almost the entire congress was white in the civil rights act in 1964, and above all whites fought and died ending slavery.
Whites support affirmative action and welfare systems, without which blacks would starve in the inner cities, all the programs and initiatives to bring blacks out of the slums has failed. They won´t or simply can´t assimilate, during my time in the States I heard the term "it´s because of cultural heritage" tossed around, from people who can´t find Africa on a globe, name a single country or speak any one of the African languages.
Sometimes I wonder if Apartheid would be the way to go, whites and blacks hate each other, white police in black neighborhoods isn´t a good idea, nor is having black cops in a white one, forcing blacks into overly white schools doesn´t work, without black studies and sports most wouldn´t graduate, (ok so there is a sliding scale) the few low income jobs still around in Detroit or Chicago or Birmingham are taken by better qualified whites, so why not have schools for blacks, black neighborhoods patrolled by black police, before Brown vs. the School Board there was the separate but equal doctrine, and that kind of worked, perhaps a 21st century version could avoid the mistakes of Jim Crow.
Would it be worth a shot? Perhaps if more cities burn..!
but Brown v Board didn't actually desegregate the US school system at all. we Americans use our public school and property tax systems as a means of ensuring that our black communities stay warehoused in de facto reservations, which we like to euphemistically call our "urban centers". then we use our criminal justice system as a means of ensuring that young men and women are raised in single family homes, further ensuring the sanctity of the cycle. it is no coincidence, after all, that criminality and education outcomes are more or less identical in our black and Native American communities.

at the risk of raising the specter of Godwin, let's try it this way - despite having had absolutely nothing to do with their very unfortunate plight, we Americans have thrown literally trillions of dollars at Israel and the Jewish diaspora. by contract, we have invested virtually nothing in our black communities, short of the bare minimum necessary to keep them fed enough to stay out of our white neighborhoods.

again, this is by no means an excuse for crime or violence. but blaming a dude who you enslaved and then disadvantaged for 400 years for not picking himself up by the proverbial bootstraps fast enough just because you changed a couple of laws seems a little counter-productive.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 28.04.2015, 21:42
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 724
Groaned at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,536 Times in 553 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
but Brown v Board didn't actually desegregate the US school system at all. we Americans use our public school and property tax systems as a means of ensuring that our black communities stay warehoused in de facto reservations, which we like to euphemistically call our "urban centers". then we use our criminal justice system as a means of ensuring that young men and women are raised in single family homes, further ensuring the sanctity of the cycle. it is no coincidence, after all, that criminality and education outcomes are more or less identical in our black and Native American communities.

at the risk of raising the specter of Godwin, let's try it this way - despite having had absolutely nothing to do with their very unfortunate plight, we Americans have thrown literally trillions of dollars at Israel and the Jewish diaspora. by contract, we have invested virtually nothing in our black communities, short of the bare minimum necessary to keep them fed enough to stay out of our white neighborhoods.

again, this is by no means an excuse for crime or violence. but blaming a dude who you enslaved and then disadvantaged for 400 years for not picking himself up by the proverbial bootstraps fast enough just because you changed a couple of laws seems a little counter-productive.
Is that the royal "we" you are using? We think it presumptuous to speak for the entire country.
Word for the day: Nosism.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank VFR on top for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 28.04.2015, 21:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Letzeburg
Posts: 1,970
Groaned at 68 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,005 Times in 1,780 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Is that the royal "we" you are using? We think it presumptuous to speak for the entire country.
Word for the day: Nosism.
feel free to read out the personal pronoun.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 28.04.2015, 21:51
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,237
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

this. most schools are funded by property taxes. if you look at the top schools in the country you can also find very high property taxes. these are quite closed communities- if you can afford a house there, you have to think about then paying +15,000 a year in property taxes and being able to get a mortgage, etc etc etc.

the second problem is that it is almost certainly white officers policing black communities and unfortunately, often these officers have no training, experience or care to understand the communities that they are policing. there have been lot's of data shown on the effect of having police officers policing their own communities and the effects of this- very interesting. if you take a white suburban american guy who has been brought up in a certain way and put him to police in the south bronx, newark or baltimore- given what little he knows about the people and culture he is policing and his assumptions/fear/biases, well that will not end well. an interesting thing to check out is the bit that this american life did on police officers a while ago- for those who are interested the link

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ently-part-one

it isn't as black/white as it appears and having had some experience with cops in nyc (no, i'm not a felon, yet ) i can say it doesn't work well when you throw a white bread rookie into the hood and give him a gun. but i'm also not convinced it is just about race but more about community, how invested people are in where they work/live and that goes doubly for police. the whole racial situation in the u.s is very complex and it is also very varied- so it's not really useful to say something about the country as a whole. it isn't really that whole.

what happens/happened in baltimore is crazy- but having spent some time there in the past, i can say it was always a city on the edge in terms of tension and poverty and opportunity. it is also (and has been) very segregated. so while it pains me to see all this, it doesn't surprise me in the least. as was said, there are times when you have had enough and it can take any little (or big) reason to just tip the bucket to extremes. i'm not so sure that all blacks or whatever were looting and whatnot- but hey, that also sells and works for a certain slant, doesn't it? and as for the whole slavery issue, while the times may have change, economic opportunity and upward mobility is a luxury for some. it's not a level playing field in many places.
__________________
'there isn't enough of anything as long as we live.
but at intervals a sweetness appears and, given a chance prevails'
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank amaraya for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 28.04.2015, 23:03
Dechen01's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Luzern
Posts: 205
Groaned at 5 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 175 Times in 98 Posts
Dechen01 is considered knowledgeableDechen01 is considered knowledgeableDechen01 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Baltimore riots

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dechen01 for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 29.04.2015, 09:54
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Perspective from Jeff Winbush. Nothing fundamentally new in what he says, but I find he says it well.

http://jeffwinbush.com/2015/04/27/we...fire-they-did/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 29.04.2015, 10:02
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,666
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,134 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
but Brown v Board didn't actually desegregate the US school system at all. we Americans use our public school and property tax systems as a means of ensuring that our black communities stay warehoused in de facto reservations, which we like to euphemistically call our "urban centers". then we use our criminal justice system as a means of ensuring that young men and women are raised in single family homes, further ensuring the sanctity of the cycle. it is no coincidence, after all, that criminality and education outcomes are more or less identical in our black and Native American communities.

at the risk of raising the specter of Godwin, let's try it this way - despite having had absolutely nothing to do with their very unfortunate plight, we Americans have thrown literally trillions of dollars at Israel and the Jewish diaspora. by contract, we have invested virtually nothing in our black communities, short of the bare minimum necessary to keep them fed enough to stay out of our white neighborhoods.

again, this is by no means an excuse for crime or violence. but blaming a dude who you enslaved and then disadvantaged for 400 years for not picking himself up by the proverbial bootstraps fast enough just because you changed a couple of laws seems a little counter-productive.
Point taken, Brown v Board did not end segregation overnight but as a precedent it was a focus point for a civil movement that was already underway, segregation was no longer en vogue.
Yes America and others invest godzilians in Israel, but the US has invested trillions in the F35 project at the cost of civil infrastructure but that in neither here nor there, the question is: "do black communities get more than white communities" I had a look at the stats,
(http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/...ending_40.html) they are byzantine to say the least, but I can't find anything that shows that white communities get more basic investment than black communities, it seems to me that the playing field is pretty even, what is not even is that black communities need more by the way of welfare than do white communities.

In my humble opinion it's not only about the money, everything possible is being done to give the black community the same opportunities as everybody else enjoys, so what went wrong in Detorit, Chicago south side, Jackson, Birmingham?
__________________
Lummerland
Eine Insel mit zwei Bergen,
und im tiefen weiten Meer,
mit viel Tunnels und Geleisen
und dem Eisenbahnverkehr
nun wie mag die Insel heißen
ringsherum ist schöner Strand
jeder sollte einmal reisen
in das schöne Lummerland
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 29.04.2015, 11:00
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
at the risk of raising the specter of Godwin, let's try it this way - despite having had absolutely nothing to do with their very unfortunate plight, we Americans have thrown literally trillions of dollars at Israel and the Jewish diaspora. by contract, we have invested virtually nothing in our black communities, short of the bare minimum necessary to keep them fed enough to stay out of our white neighborhoods.
Oh, but didn't they fund the revolution, and gave us acetone for our bombs?


Quote:
View Post
Is that the royal "we" you are using? We think it presumptuous to speak for the entire country.
Word for the day: Nosism.
That situation in Baltimore is part of its political industry. Underneath are power plays between politicians, bureaucrats, community organizers, and organized crimes. At stake are political power, public funding and even territories for the drug trade. Its actually the true social structure of the city. Those who live there know the game and know "what's up". Its a cynical play on the civil rights movement. It certainly appears outwardly racist - a white ruling class oppressing its black underclass. But there are plenty of black power brokers who are profiting from this racist framework. Because without the racism, some of these power brokers don't have much of a purpose. So they all of them work with and sustain this racist arrangement through endemic corruption. Because its like that, and that's the way it is.

That's the "We".

Last edited by Phos; 29.04.2015 at 11:11.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 29.04.2015, 11:10
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luzern
Posts: 918
Groaned at 118 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 2,210 Times in 859 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
In my humble opinion it's not only about the money, everything possible is being done to give the black community the same opportunities as everybody else enjoys, so what went wrong in Detorit, Chicago south side, Jackson, Birmingham?
The CIA sure gave the black community a great opportunity to smoke crack cocaine in the 80's, whether intentionally or by just looking the other way...

The police generally give the black community a great opportunity to get to know the justice system...

Near my hometown in PA the small black community was given a great opportunity to get more exercise when the local politicians/cops/'good 'ol boys' blew up all the bridges leading into the black neighborhood back in the 60's… which to this day have never been repaired…

That said, I don't think 'whitey' is entirely to blame for the mess, and that the US black population in general has a lot of self-inflicted problems as well. But it's not surprising that after being treated like animals for so long, and having been stripped of cultural identity to the point of not knowing who your ancestors were or where they came from, that the black population seems reluctant to join the system that treated them/treats them so badly. (though they are part of it, like it or not..)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 29.04.2015, 11:14
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
That said, I don't think 'whitey' is entirely to blame for the mess, and that the US black population in general has a lot of self-inflicted problems as well. But it's not surprising that after being treated like animals for so long, and having been stripped of cultural history to the point of not knowing who your ancestors were or where they came from, that the black population seems reluctant to join the system that treated them/treats them so badly. (though they are part of it, like it or not..)
Be very careful about speaking of "the blacks" and "the whites". These are not singular entities. Within them are groups and personalities that claim to represent the whole, which is a huge part of the problem in itself.

If you want to know what this is really about, here's a hint:
Democratic Leader Says Solution In Baltimore Is More Federal Spending

Mo' money! That is the Democratic party's game.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 29.04.2015, 12:03
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luzern
Posts: 918
Groaned at 118 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 2,210 Times in 859 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post

If you want to know what this is really about, here's a hint:
Democratic Leader Says Solution In Baltimore Is More Federal Spending

Mo' money! That is the Democratic party's game.
Huh? The Baltimore riots are just a ruse by the black community to increase fed. spending? That's what this is about, really?:roll eyes:

I read the article, and the content doesn't match the headline. The only mention about what the fed. $ could/would be used for is body cameras and more police training. Are you against this, or just against the idea of fed. $ being used for it?

A bit off topic, but:
Mo' money is everyone's game. If you think that republicans don't want to spend fed $, you've been deluded. Bush jr. ran the biggest civil government in history, in terms of the budget - while Obama has increased gov't spending very little in comparison

Republican states are a bigger drain on fed. $ than the dem. states. I always find it amusing that most Alaskans are such staunch republicans, while the whole state is dependent on federal subsidies….

Now don't you go thinking that i'm supporting the dems here - just pointing out inconsistencies in republican doctrine vs. reality. I despise both parties equally - two sides of the same coin, who need each other to survive. It's all about power and $ for the elite, while convincing the little people that it's always the other party's fault…
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #32  
Old 29.04.2015, 12:21
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,030
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,500 Times in 3,133 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

I'd like to see a positive sign when things look bleak.

Maybe this story is just wrong.

How about a sixth season of "The Wire" - "It's burning in the 'hood"?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 29.04.2015, 12:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,116
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,077 Times in 3,285 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Yes there will be change, the police will resemble more and more the executive arm of the Gestapo but with bigger guns and not as organized.
I wonder if the riots of the last few years are not the first shots in a coming American racial war, you can´t deny that the tensions between whites and blacks are rapidly approaching boiling point.
I hear a lot of people saying: "well they are rioting because they are disenfranchised!"
Uhh! What? Ever since the Brown vs. the School Board stopped segregation in schools way back in 1955, blacks have had an equal playing field in education, education leads to jobs, jobs lead to security, so why do the cites burn, why are the majority of inner city blacks semi-literate? Has every law passed that gives blacks an equal stake in the American dream been for nothing?
I don´t buy the (blacks) assumption that their situation is whitey´s fault, whites passed Brown vs. the School Board, white feds and white troops made it work, almost the entire congress was white in the civil rights act in 1964, and above all whites fought and died ending slavery.
Whites support affirmative action and welfare systems, without which blacks would starve in the inner cities, all the programs and initiatives to bring blacks out of the slums has failed. They won´t or simply can´t assimilate, during my time in the States I heard the term "it´s because of cultural heritage" tossed around, from people who can´t find Africa on a globe, name a single country or speak any one of the African languages.
Sometimes I wonder if Apartheid would be the way to go, whites and blacks hate each other, white police in black neighborhoods isn´t a good idea, nor is having black cops in a white one, forcing blacks into overly white schools doesn´t work, without black studies and sports most wouldn´t graduate, (ok so there is a sliding scale) the few low income jobs still around in Detroit or Chicago or Birmingham are taken by better qualified whites, so why not have schools for blacks, black neighborhoods patrolled by black police, before Brown vs. the School Board there was the separate but equal doctrine, and that kind of worked, perhaps a 21st century version could avoid the mistakes of Jim Crow.
Would it be worth a shot? Perhaps if more cities burn..
!
I can well understand these frustrations but that's not the way forward, and you know it.
How would that help? Isn't society stratified enough? (everywhere, not just in the USA)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 29.04.2015, 12:30
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Now don't you go thinking that i'm supporting the dems here - just pointing out inconsistencies in republican doctrine vs. reality. I despise both parties equally - two sides of the same coin, who need each other to survive. It's all about power and $ for the elite, while convincing the little people that it's always the other party's fault…
The city of Baltimore has been under the Democrat's governance since 1967. The includes control of the City Hall, the schools, the unions and even the police force. We do know how the democrats roll. See here from 1967 onwards:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_of_Baltimore

Of course, in turn, they say its because the Republicans are racist and stingy.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 29.04.2015, 13:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 34
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 11 Posts
khabibul35 has become a little unpopularkhabibul35 has become a little unpopular
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
They won´t or simply can´t assimilate, during my time in the States I heard the term "it´s because of cultural heritage" tossed around, from people who can´t find Africa on a globe, name a single country or speak any one of the African languages.
Let's talk about whites for a minute. Why couldn't they assimilate into Native American culture? Why did they have to get all violent?

Quote:
View Post
Be very careful about speaking of "the blacks" and "the whites". These are not singular entities. Within them are groups and personalities that claim to represent the whole, which is a huge part of the problem in itself.
Phos, I think you're referring to something like this:
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank khabibul35 for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 29.04.2015, 13:21
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Phos, I think you're referring to something like this:
Hahaha, that looks like an Onion article.

Yeah, sure. When Blacks riot, its a freakin uprising! When Whites riot, its that grand 'ol 60's tradition of a rockin party.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 29.04.2015, 13:30
pilatus1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luzern
Posts: 918
Groaned at 118 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 2,210 Times in 859 Posts
pilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond reputepilatus1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Phos, I think you're referring to something like this:
lol…"…My high school prom date was white. In fact, she was very white…she used to ride horses…."
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank pilatus1 for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 29.04.2015, 13:56
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,666
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,134 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
Let's talk about whites for a minute. Why couldn't they assimilate into Native American culture? Why did they have to get all violent?
That´s an easy one, in the context of the Zeitgeist from that period white was might, but look how far we have come since then.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 29.04.2015, 14:03
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,439
Groaned at 178 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 1,551 Times in 765 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned the respect of manyDack Rambo has earned the respect of manyDack Rambo has earned the respect of many
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Let's talk about whites for a minute. Why couldn't they assimilate into Native American culture? Why did they have to get all violent?
Like in Dance with Wolves?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hW4nTYNSEA
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 29.04.2015, 14:05
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 14 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 292 Times in 152 Posts
sudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond reputesudeepta has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Baltimore riots

Quote:
View Post
Of course, in turn, they say its because the Republicans are racist and stingy.
What could be done if they indeed are? Isn't this quote from that great champion Republican president, Eisenhower: "These are not bad people. All they are concerned about is to see that their sweet little girls are not required to sit in school alongside some big overgrown Negroes"
This in relation to the Brown vs Edu Board case already alluded in a previous post.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sudeepta for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
riots




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tunisia uprising/riots Pashosh International affairs/politics 30 02.11.2011 23:12
Riots in Zurich? Crumbs Daily life 48 12.09.2011 22:51
The Tottenham Riots.... Caviarchips International affairs/politics 823 15.08.2011 00:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0